Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,401 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Margaret Thatcher Is Dead - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Margaret Thatcher Is Dead (44321 Views)

An Open Letter To Mrs Margaret Thatcher From General Olusegun Obasanjo / Watch Margaret Thatcher’s Funeral Highlights / Margaret Thatcher's Death Greeted With Street Parties In Brixton And Glasgow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cheddarking(m): 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
Having lived half my life Sheffield, I've seen 1st hand the effect this woman's policies had on the mainly industrial Northern England.

The Steel Mills are dead....The Collieries are no more...The Manufacturing Plants are Moribund...

I went to See Billy Elliot at the Theatre with my Girl...And there's a Song called Fvck Maggie halfway through the show.

I dont think she will be remembered with fondness north of the M25.

Anyhow...RIP Lady Thatcher
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by isalegan2: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
not sure why my previous post was hidden. undecided

cap28:
I knew it would be just a matter of time before ignorant sycophantic nigerian lap dogs would jump to this woman's defence - from your utterances i can see you do not understand anything about the UK - the miners that lost their jobs in northern england were they lazy loafers? the neutering of the unions, the mass unemployment, the deregulation and privatisation of the public sector which has led to off shoring of jobs and mass unemployment which we are still battling with in this country today - please do not speak about things you know nothing about.

Don't mind them, bros. It's the same sort of uncleTom Nigger mentality that's forever on display on NL for all the world to laugh at us. Self-loathing ignorant B.S.
https://www.nairaland.com/1250160/photo-queen-elizabeth-ii-oba/3

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by MosD: 4:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
Well, if not for nothing, she will gladly be remembered for regaining falkland island for them. RIP
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 4:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
isale_gan2: not sure why my earlier post was deleted. undecided

Don't mind them, bros. It's the same sort of uncleTom Nigger mentality that's forever on display on NL for all the world to laugh at us. Self-loathing ignorant B.S.
https://www.nairaland.com/1250160/photo-queen-elizabeth-ii-oba/3

Do you think im bothering with these uncle toms - these dumb arses are the same people who will shed tears when the likes of IBB, obasanjo and other looters leave this earth - the british public are very clued up about their leaders unlike nigerians.

I just read a comment on a youtube video written 3 years ago about thatcher:

When Maggie dies, can someone stick a wooden stake in her heart just to make sure she never comes back or is reincarnated.
I will be going back to Middlesbrough on that day where me and my local neighbourhood will be holding a street party.

this was written three years ago - this is the level of hatred working class british have for this woman because of the havoc she wreaked in their lives.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cheddarking(m): 4:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

this was written three years ago - this is the level of hatred working class british have for this woman because of the havoc she wreaked in their lives.

I co-sign this.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
another comment from another british person who recently heard of her death:

The CU....NT has finally dropped dead. YAY!!!!!! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVLtinCWGwE
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by mamagee3(f): 4:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
May her soul rest in peace!!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by VolvoS60(m): 4:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

I think the evidence is all around you to see.

^^^^^

She wasn't all bad. grin

Some say if she hadn't grabbed the UK by the scruff of its neck, the streets would still be full of garbage and the labour/trade unions would have become completely invincible by now. The story is that Britain was a whisker away from a military takover in the 1970s (as improbable as this sounds) with the way things were then.

Her views on the apartheid regime in SA tell us all we need to know about how she saw Africans in general. Nobody is under any illusions there. She WAS a racist. But I think she was a far better economic manager and a more rounded leader than Ronald Reagan - now that was a man promoted far above his station and hyped well above his rather mediocre achievements.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 4:51pm On Apr 08, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^^

She wasn't all bad. Some say if she hadn't grabbed the UK by the scruff of its neck, the streets would still be full of garbage and the labour/trade unions would have become completely invincible by now. The story is that Britain was a whisker away from a military takover in the 1970s (as improbable as this sounds) with the way things were then.

Her views on the apartheid regime in SA tell us all we need to know about how she saw Africans in general. Nobody is under any illusions there. But I think she was a far better economic manager and a more rounded leader than Ronald Reagan.
I dont get where you are coming from - why was it necessary for her to have closed down the mines?

why was it necessary for her to have spear headed the deindustrialisation of the british economy - which led to major outsourcing of british manufacturing jobs to the far east and mass unemployment in this country?

she is the architect of the problems we are having today in this country - she started the deregulation of the financial industry which is what enabled the bankers to run wild and which culminated in the recent 2008 financial collapse - i mean everything this woman touched turned to ashes - even the right to buy housing programme was unsustainable because not long after interest rates went through the roof and many people who purchased council homes under this scheme could no longer afford their mortgages.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
Red-Light:
there are still many football hooligans there, especially in places like manchester, etc.. The b1atch didnt fight anytin... She is just a bloody racist
thank you...
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 08, 2013
Red-Light:
there are still many football hooligans there, especially in places like manchester, etc.. The b1atch didnt fight anytin... She is just a bloody racist

This is actually true....oh well

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by naptu2: 5:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^
She was no longer in office when the war started. Although it seems she contributed to the war effort before her resignation.

I remember that period very well and I've got her book "The Downing Street Years". She was Prime Minister when Saddam invaded Kuwait and was deeply involved in preparations for war. She was kicked out just before the conflict started.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by occam(m): 5:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
She was Perhaps the most divisive leader in modern Britain. Too many negatives: north/south divide in Britain, anti-immigration and xenophobic stand, staunch supporter of apartheid regime, decimation of manufacturing sector. And she with Reagan pushed corrupt African leaders to accept SAP measures

However, her euro-sceptic attitude may have ensured Britain escaped the economic malaise engulfing Europe right now. Had the Labor party been in power, Britain may have sleep walked into the single European currency or EMS. With hindsight her approach to Europe was the correct one

Ironic that her nationalist attitude and hatred of Europe may have saved Britain from dire economic problems today

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Lyns32uk(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
undecided
yuzedo: She is my nebor befor befor in Ojota.. undecided
She was your neighbour in your village.. undecided
yuzedo: She is my nebor befor befor in Ojota.. undecided
She was your neighbour in your village..
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Maafiaalady: 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
RIP ma mentor....her highHandedness!!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by JeSoul(f): 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
Fellow NLders,
please try to make your points without insults, bad language or trying to circumvent the word-filter. Such posts will be hidden, and those who quote such posts will unfortunately also be hidden as well. Thank you.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Lakayana: 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
al-qaeda:

amen to that. may many war crininals and money looters die and dry aand i wouldnt mind pissing on them in their graves, just for causing alot of pain and misery to the masses.
Lakayana in al-qaeda territory should I be shaking with fear? Please do not shoot or bomb I am unarmed.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 5:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
JeSoul: Fellow NLders,
please try to make your points without insults, bad language or trying to circumvent the word-filter. Such posts will be hidden, and those who quote such posts will unfortunately also be hidden as well. Thank you.

You do this forum a great disservice by hiding posts unecessarily, i think your focus should be on the substance of what the person is posting and not on the words being used. I mean what was the point of hiding a post which is merely a quote from another source ? it makes zero sense to censor poster's views simply because they offend your very fragile and delicate sensibilities.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by occam(m): 5:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
One more reason to hate this woman:

She enacted tighter immigration rules. Any child born in Britain but of foreign parents does not automatically become a British citizen. This was a very calculated and callous move to hold on to power. Why? knowing that only xenophobic minds will support her "white only" conservative ideas for Britain.

She embraced ideas of the British National Party. Are the BNPs still on the rise? I doubt if a party like that can even exist today with more ethnic groups in Britain

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by JeSoul(f): 5:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

You do this forum a great disservice by hiding posts unecessarily, i think your focus should be on the substance of what the person is posting and not on the words being used. I mean what was the point of hiding a post which is merely a quote from another source ? it makes zero sense to censor poster's views simply because they offend your very fragile and delicate sensibilities.

I am simply enforcing the rules, I didn't make them sir. Bad language & insults are against the rules - whether quoted from a source or not. I have no vested 'sensibilities' other than making sure this place is conducive for all to discuss in a mature, respectful manner. Thanks.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by VolvoS60(m): 5:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:
I dont get where you are coming from - why was it necessary for her to have closed down the mines?

why was it necessary for her to have spear headed the deindustrialisation of the british economy - which led to major outsourcing of british manufacturing jobs to the far east and mass unemployment in this country?

she is the architect of the problems we are having today in this country - she started the deregulation of the financial industry which is what enabled the bankers to run wild and which culminated in the recent 2008 financial collapse - i mean everything this woman touched turned to ashes - even the right to buy housing programme was unsustainable because not long after interest rates went through the roof and many people who purchased council homes under this scheme could no longer afford their mortgages.

It is painful for me (as someone somewhat sympathetic to left of centre views) to admit it but the mines were unsustainable. They were unprofitable and thatcher didn't want taxpayers to keep carrying the burden. (Good old self preservation may have had a lot to do with it too. grin She clearly didn't want striking miners to destroy her government they way they destroyed Heath's.) Where she failed miserably was in creating new jobs for the thousands thrown out of work. Where were they supposed to go? undecided

I agree with some of your points on financial deregulation though.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Inioluwa01(m): 5:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mtcheww...aku tuku e lona orun...good riddance 2 stupid rubbish!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by baby124: 5:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
Na wah! many bitter people on this woman. I liked her no nonsense views, she did the best she could for her people regardless of whose ox is gored. She was a strong woman, may she rest in peace. cool
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 5:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:
I knew it would be just a matter of time before ignorant sycophantic nigerian lap dogs would jump to this woman's defence - from your utterances i can see you do not understand anything about the UK - the miners that lost their jobs in northern england were they lazy loafers? the neutering of the unions, the mass unemployment, the deregulation and privatisation of the public sector which has led to off shoring of jobs and mass unemployment which we are still battling with in this country today - please do not speak about things you know nothing about.

The same leftwing lazy rhetoric.

I asked you before and I will ask you again. What policies would you have implemented in 1979 considering the following

1. A decline in the UK mining industry

2. High inflation

3. High debt (the labour government had borrowed from the IMF)

4. High taxes from Labour (98% marginal rate)

The problem with people like you is that you expect the government to do everything for you.

Thatcher dealt with a devastating economic conditions with skill and wisdom.

She understood that the mining industry was dying and reformed trade unions so much that the unions could not hold the country hostage. Did the unions not bring down the Labour government of Callaghan in 1979?

Many home owners in the UK owe owning their homes to Thatcher. What was the rate of home ownership before Thatcher? Wasn't it only rich people who owned their homes? With Thatcher, individuals could also own shares. 11 MILLION people bought shares after privatization. That is still the level of share ownership in the UK today. The only people that didn't benefit were those who expected the government to do everything for them. Many clever people became millionaires in the 80S BECAUSE she reformed the markets.

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by question(m): 5:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
Whatever people say, she was a stronger personality and politician than John Major, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron all combined together.
RIP Maggie.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
joseph1832: If there's one thing I loved about this Lady, its her guts. She had the guts to get things done unlike our infamous GEJ!

Margaret Thatcher you are more of a man than GEJ.

Rest In Peace mi Lady!
YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT SHE IS MORE OF A MAN. A HORSE FACED MAN grin grin grin grin

WHY THE LONG FACE FOLKS ? LOL
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by kulumo: 5:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx: I bet people are celebrating in Scotland and Northern England, right about now...

She wasn't perfect and she destroyed a lot of people's lives including the minorities... All those who lost their jobs and all the black kids who were left in foster homes because of the hardship she created for their immigrant parents might have something to say about her... And Africans will also have something to say about her support for the apartheid regime in South Africa...

However, she was a nationalist who was loved and adored by her conservative base and by most English people from the South... The UK will never forget the Falklands War..

Adieu!! You're better on the other side...
let those who are celebrating not die again, let them turn to stones.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 5:41pm On Apr 08, 2013
kulumo: let those who are celebrating not die again, let them turn to stones.

Abi. Let them live forever. As if dying is such a shameful thing.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 08, 2013
obadiah777: YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT SHE IS MORE OF A MAN. A HORSE FACED MAN grin grin grin grin

WHY THE LONG FACE FOLKS ? LOL

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Election Betting Odds Have Flipped To Favor Trump, Expert Says / Man Arrested After Allegedly Touching Spanish Journalist’s Bottom Live On Air / Germany Bans Gathering Of More Than 2 People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.