Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,496 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Margaret Thatcher Is Dead - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Margaret Thatcher Is Dead (44324 Views)

An Open Letter To Mrs Margaret Thatcher From General Olusegun Obasanjo / Watch Margaret Thatcher’s Funeral Highlights / Margaret Thatcher's Death Greeted With Street Parties In Brixton And Glasgow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
All I have to sing is *now now now now, magareth tatcher, ye ye ye free Mandela*
tongue
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 5:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
occam: One more reason to hate this woman:

She enacted tighter immigration rules. Any child born in Britain but of foreign parents does not automatically become a British citizen. This was a very calculated and callous move to hold on to power. Why? knowing that only xenophobic minds will support her "white only" conservative ideas for Britain.

She embraced ideas of the British National Party. Are the BNPs still on the rise? I doubt if a party like that can even exist today with more ethnic groups in Britain

And why should folks who were running from their own countries and who couldn't bring positive change to their own countries have a say in how another country is run?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 5:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
occam: One more reason to hate this woman:

She enacted tighter immigration rules. Any child born in Britain but of foreign parents does not automatically become a British citizen. This was a very calculated and callous move to hold on to power. Why? knowing that only xenophobic minds will support her "white only" conservative ideas for Britain.

She embraced ideas of the British National Party. Are the BNPs still on the rise? I doubt if a party like that can even exist today with more ethnic groups in Britain

You are very correct -immigration and race have always been fundamental to the conservative party who always use it to secure votes when their policies are becoming unpopular.

In a 1979 election campaign speech she successfully secured victory by warning the already racist white british of the need to clamp down on non white immigration, forgetting that less than two decades earlier, west indian workers were brought to the UK to do all the menial jobs due to huge labour shortages that britain was suffering as a result of the second world war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhKI5ijnxQ

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 5:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
Anyone who doesn't like how a foreign country is run should go home and effect change in their own country first.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

And why should folks who were running from their own countries and who couldn't bring positive change to their own countries have a say in how another country is run?

I think you will find that Britain were behind the reason that those folks were leaving their countries of origin for greener pastures.

Lets take nigeria for instance - who installed a puppet regime of northerners on the south in 1960?

who armed and funded the nigerian army against the biafrans?

who installed Obasanjo part 1 and 2 and IBB on us?

who removed buhari ?

who was the architect of SAP?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by DJDOLA(m): 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
ochukoccna: Most people tend to live out their latter years in regret at actions they took while younger or in a position of authority
I wonder what her's was especially as the gtim reaper beckoned through ill-health
Too bad racists (especially white ones) tend to spawn faster before we can decapitate them
NL dee jay,please play MAKAVELI's White Man's World to celebrate Thatcher's departure
ok...can u feel d rythm
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by lepasharon(f): 5:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
But my mum liked her..because she gave the right to buy your house!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto: Anyone who doesn't like how a foreign country is run should go home and effect change in their own country first.
IF THEY STOP STEALING OUR RESOURCES WE WOULD NOT OFFER OUR INPUT IN HOW THEIR COUNTRY IS RUN.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 5:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

I think you will find that Britain were behind the reason that those folks were leaving their countries of origin for greener pastures.

Lets take nigeria for instance - who installed a puppet regime of northerners on the south in 1960?

who armed and funded the nigerian army against the biafrans?

who installed Obasanjo part 1 and 2 and IBB on us?

who removed buhari ?

who was the architect of SAP?

As usual, conspiracy theories.

SAP was implemented because your leaders (IBB) were corrupt and needed to balance books.

Did Britain itself not implement SAP from the mid 1970s until the early 80s? Britiain went to the IMF in 1975 and it had to go on SAP as well. People who borrow money have to follow the directives of their creditors. Why is China not implementing SAP? If you don't want to be issued directives, then don't borrow.

3 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by RealMccoy2(m): 5:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
She died before Mandela and crazy Majek Fashek.....I hope she finds peace where ever she remains.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 5:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
obadiah777: IF THEY STOP STEALING OUR RESOURCES WE WOULD NOT OFFER OUR INPUT IN HOW THEIR COUNTRY IS RUN.

The weak will always be targeted. Your 'resources' are stolen because there are people in your country who are more interested in their own benefits and use ethnic sentiments provided by the rest to stay weak. Your fate should not be decided by outsiders. They are trying to prevent you from having a say in their country. You should do the same.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by PHEMI007: 5:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ah ya wat a great woman, i wish for such a woman in nija. May her soul rest in peace
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:00pm On Apr 08, 2013
lepasharon: But my mum liked her..because she gave the right to buy your house!

Is that why you also like her??

What about the millions of lives she destroyed??

She supported apartheid and helped destroy Nigeria as well...

Anyway, R.I.P Maggi..
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 6:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Is that why you also like??

What about the millions of lives she destroyed??

She supported apartheid and helped destroy Nigeria as well...

Anyway, R.I.P Maggi..

What lives did she destroy? Apartheid I agree but how did she destroy Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
As an original black man - I'll never support racist people!!

Supporting racist jerks would amount to selling my soul for a nickle!! cool

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
Off to renew political vows with ol' Ronnie Reagan. cheesy
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

What lives did she destroy? Apartheid I agree but how did she destroy Nigeria?

Iran contra and her complicity with both Ronald Reagan and IBB?? SAP??

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Royalkings: 6:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
May her soul RIP
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 6:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
If Thatcher policies were so bad, why didn't two Labour prime ministers, who were in power for 13 years, reverse her major policies? If they were so bad, why did Blair continue her policies?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 6:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Iran contra and her complicity with both Ronald Reagan and IBB?? SAP??

You are obfuscating.

Elaborate on all the above. Don't lump them together.

Start with the policies, actions, and the consequences.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by sweetcheecks(f): 6:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Only a few years ago ??!! What a joke !!?! Bloody hell

Shym is exaggarating they took off 22 years ago, after he was released from jail.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by dare2think: 6:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

The weak will always be targeted. Your 'resources' are stolen because there are people in your country who are more interested in their own benefits and use ethnic sentiments provided by the rest to stay weak. Your fate should not be decided by outsiders. They are trying to prevent you from having a say in their country. You should do the same.

I have always found it weak that people would often be quick to blame external forces without properly assessing their own failures.

As for those celebrating her death, like someone aptly said, why not turn to stone so you never die.

You need a comprehensive mental check, if for whatever reason, you find yourself celebrating the death of someone who has done you nothing.

That is borderline psychopathy.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Shym is exergerating they took off 22 years ago, after he was released from jail.

I need to start questioning your South African-ness?? Are you sure you're not a Zimbabwean claiming SA??

George W Bush signed the bill in time for the Nobel Peace Prize winner's 90th birthday on July 18. Ronald Reagan had originally placed the ANC on the list in the 1980s .

"Today the United States moved closer at last to removing the great shame of dishonoring this great leader by including him on our government's terror watch list," Senator John Kerry said after the bill was approved.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/2233256/Nelson-Mandela-removed-from-US-terror-list.html

^^^^Nelson Mandela was removed from the terrorist list in USA - in 2008!!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
dare2think:

I have always found it weak that people would often be quick to blame external forces without properly assessing their own failures.

As for those celebrating her death, like someone aptly said, why not turn to stone so you never die.

You need a comprehensive mental check, if for whatever reason, you find yourself celebrating the death of someone who has done you nothing.

That is borderline psychopathy.

They know who is robbing them blind in their own countries and where those folks reside. Yet instead of tackling the rogues in their own countries, they cowardly blame outsiders. Has Nigeria been robbed more than China? China was bled for centuries by foreigners but it learned from that experience and its a strong nation today. Nigerians are still blaming the British PM (MacMillan) from independence for their problems.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

I need to start questioning your South African-ness?? Are you sure you're not a Zimbabwean claiming SA??

^^^^Nelson Mandela was removed from the terrorist list in USA - in 2008!!!
grin grin oh Lord
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by sweetcheecks(f): 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Farewell Margaret Thatcher, We forgave you. Now you meet your make and state your case for your actions against the black people of South Africa. undecided
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

The same leftwing lazy rhetoric.

I asked you before and I will ask you again. What policies would you have implemented in 1979 considering the following

1. A decline in the UK mining industry

2. High inflation

3. High debt (the labour government had borrowed from the IMF)

4. High taxes from Labour (98% marginal rate)

The problem with people like you is that you expect the government to do everything for you.

Thatcher dealt with a devastating economic conditions with skill and wisdom.

She understood that the mining industry was dying and reformed trade unions so much that the unions could not hold the country hostage. Did the unions not bring down the Labour government of Callaghan in 1979?

Many home owners in the UK owe owning their homes to Thatcher. What was the rate of home ownership before Thatcher? Wasn't it only rich people who owned their homes? With Thatcher, individuals could also own shares. 11 MILLION people bought shares after privatization. That is still the level of share ownership in the UK today. The only people that didn't benefit were those who expected the government to do everything for them. Many clever people became millionaires in the 80S BECAUSE she reformed the markets.

Let me ask you a questionn - Did it make sense to shut down the mines and dump thousands of people onto the dole queue ? was that more cost effective? I really dont understand the logic of creating mass unemployment and adding more pressure to the social security system .

Mister blinkered man - let me list to you the legacy of Thatcher's mine closures: drug addiction, astronomical rise in crime rate, suicide increase, the rise of casual exploitative non unionised labour , alcholism adding not only more pressure to the social security system but to the national health service - was it worth it?

Today many british workers can be hired and fired at the whim of their employer all as a result of Thatchers dismantling of the unions - again i ask you - was it worth it?

So thatcher created home ownership - please get your facts right - you do not own your home if the bank grants you a mortage on it -you are merely a tenant of the property until you have paid off the mortgage to the bank - shortly after the 1980 right to buy scheme was lauunched by Thatcher interest rates shot up this resulted in many of these former so called home owners losing their properties because their mortgage repayments became astronomically expensive - so in other words she fooled the british public into a sense of false security and later snatched the rug from underneath them by putting up intrest rates - how was this a good thing?

The only people who benefitted from thatcher's policy were the upper middle class and the city of london bankers who make up a tiny minority of the british public - the average joe lost out. I dont expect you to understand any of this because being of a typical nigerian mindset you identify with your oppressor even when that oppressor has his foot on your neck.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:
You are obfuscating.

Elaborate on all the above. Don't lump them together.

Start with the policies, actions, and the consequences.

I can't really go into details right now because I'm on my way home but you should be able to discern it yourself...

The Iran contra made Nigeria a major route for drugs... and that was when Nigeria became neck deep in the drug game...

And SAP started the devaluation of the naira and most of the economic policies that's affecting Nigeria today...
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto: If Thatcher policies were so bad, why didn't two Labour prime ministers, who were in power for 13 years, reverse her major policies? If they were so bad, why did Blair continue her policies?

Don't be naive, kats... We all know that the banksters and plutocrats control both Labour and Conservatives... So, how do you expect Labour to overturn something that benefits their major financial backers?? They don't have balls to do that, to be honest... Blair did what he could to balance the equation with what he had - and we all felt his policies...

City of London and Canary Wharf control Westminster and Downing Street!!

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:
grin grin oh Lord

Lmao.. grin
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by occam(m): 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

You've repeated a line by extreme racist groups to support their myopic vision of the world. No data or fact supports this notion. It was policy targeted at a certain group of immigrants (Asians, Africans)

Paradoxically, preferred Hong Kong Chinese given British passports chose not to settle in the U.K. The passports were simply used as "insurance policy". Most settled in US,Canada or Australia

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Election Betting Odds Have Flipped To Favor Trump, Expert Says / Man Arrested After Allegedly Touching Spanish Journalist’s Bottom Live On Air / Germany Bans Gathering Of More Than 2 People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.