Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,081 members, 7,852,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 11:33 PM

Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! - Nairaland / General (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! (71414 Views)

Have You Ever Been Duped By People With 'juju' Before? Share Your Experience... / 7 Reasons Why Women Live Longer Than Men / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 1:13am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent: Chimamanda Adichie is 35 yrs old. She first built her career. then she got married in her 30s and is yet to have a child. That is the stereotypical feminist. not that all feminists have to follow this pattern. but most will wait till the find a supportive husband. not one who is obsessed with being "head of household" and will force a wife to quit her career.

I don't understand how these fools are looking at teenage moms, ghetto hoodrats (antithesis of feminism!) and calling them feminists. wth

You mind them? They will rather blame feminism for everything than employ number 6. In their minds feminism is the cause of all the world's problems. Feminism is the reason why NEPA took light this morning, feminism is why there was go slow on their way to work, feminism is why Nigeria is not progressing, feminism is what caused world war 1 and 9/11 and hiroshima and nagasaki.

Clowns

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 1:21am On Jun 15, 2013
It seems feminism is now synonymous with being single for our pseudo-feminist African sisters who're too stupid to discern that feminism isn't African.

Give me a womanist as defined by Alice Walker over blinkered brain cells having superficial black feminists!

Spits on the stupid thread! undecided
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 1:32am On Jun 15, 2013
lol Womanist? thats another silly term thats gunna come back to bite humanity in the but.

How about just being a normal rational individual. with no 'ism' 'ist' or 'er'
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:32am On Jun 15, 2013
Famous feminist African American women

-Michelle Obama (a successful lawyer and administrator in her own RIGHT before meeting Barack. In fact, she was more successful than Barack when she met him... She met the right one)
-Oprah
-Condeleeza Rice (US secretary of State)
-Alice Walker
-Toni Morrison
-Ursula Burns (Fortune 500 CEO whose husband actually stayed home to take care of d kids while she worked and built her career! he is much older than her though maybe just more relaxed)

Famous feminist Nigerian/ African women
- Chimamanda Adichie
-funmilayo Kuti (late)
-Funmi Iyanda
- Ellen johnson Sirleaf (first African female president!! liberia)

http://www.afdb.org/en/news-and-events/multimedia/video/liberian-president-ellen-johnson-sirleaf-on-women-and-gender-574/

I will add to the list as I come up with more names.

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by BlackKenichi(m): 1:32am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent:
don't mind him
single parenthood is caused mainly by unemployed and irresponsible fathers. If you look at the statistics in America, there are more black women working than black men. in ALL other races, the statistics is reversed. So why aren't black men working? why do they prefer to roam around the street and behave like thugs and criminals?
Many single mothers don't even know what feminism means. they're just poor women working hard to raise their family in absence of responsible men to care about ideas like this.
Feminist lead policies have only exacerbated these problems with policies like:
No fault divorces, women and children not receiving welfare from the government if the father is living in the house, paternity fraud not being punished, abortions on demand etc.
The only reason why black women have a higher employment rate in the USA is because of affirmative action policies of the civil rights movement and the feminist movement.

99cent: you are actually more likely to find feminists among the privileged class (middle class at least). I will say that a large portion of them are married!
A feminist will probably rather abort a baby and focus on her career than become a suffering "baby mama."at least as a feminist, that is what I would do if I'm not married (hopefully I will get married). and when I reach my late 30s and very financially comfortable, then I will think of kids and if I can't have kids, i'll adopt. very simple.
Here's the kicker though. US black women have the highest rates of abortion, yet are suffering the most. It's a typical example of how women are just so sexually irresponsible. Women (especially black women) love to sleep around with losers and then complain that they have knocked 'em up and won't take responsibility for the kids. They think that abortion will solve all their problems yet they still continue to make the same mistakes.

99cent: most black american women are FAR FAR from being feminists. in fact, many of them need to be empowered. they should start by having less kids and focusing on their career.
They've been empowered far too much for far too long. They need a dose of reality.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:39am On Jun 15, 2013
ShyM-X:
It seems feminism is now synonymous with being single for our pseudo-feminist African sisters who're too stupid to discern that feminism isn't African.

Give me a womanist as defined by Alice Walker over blinkered brain cells having superficial black feminists!

Spits on the stupid thread! undecided

LOL Alice walker is a self-proclaimed FEMINIST. She is a radical feminist activist in fact. don't know what u mean by "womanist"
sorry to burst your bubble.
and it is the males on here who associate feminism was single parenthood. this is false.
many feminists are married. some are single but that's ok. but one thing is feminists are usually very well educated.

remember, back in d days PhD degrees received by women used to stand for "Push Husband Down." Men were threatened by educated women. and many women will refuse to get an advanced degree because they were worried men will not marry them.
Feminists were the first women to buck the trend. they were ridiculed and made fun of. but now have made it acceptable for all women to aim for the stars it is ok for women to be ambitious.

feminists are trend setters. without them, women will still be sitting at home while their husbands go to work, vote, give the last word on all matters etc.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:46am On Jun 15, 2013
Black Kenichi:
Here's the kicker though. US black women have the highest rates of abortion,

well, then I will guess that they have a hard time convincing their partners to wear condom. this issue is common in Africa as well. It is one main contributor to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in southern africa where many males REFUSE to wear protection even when the female asks.

if not, I fear that the women aren't aborting enough. seriously!
blacks also have the highest rate of STDs due to this fact.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 1:48am On Jun 15, 2013
Nope.. black men have to demand to use a condom usually.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by BlackKenichi(m): 1:48am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent: Chimamanda Adichie is 35 yrs old. She first built her career. then she got married in her 30s and is yet to have a child. That is the stereotypical feminist. I'm sure when she has kids, those kids will grow up having a good life. not that all feminists have to follow this pattern. but most will wait till the find a supportive husband. not one who is obsessed with being "head of household" and will force a wife to quit her career.
Good for her.

99cent: not all feminists have to be career women either. some prefer to be homemakers. as long as they recognize their rights and not let men walk over them.

Yet feminists are against homemaker/stay at home mothers! Talk about confused feminist bs logic.

99cent: I don't understand how these fools are looking at teenage moms, ghetto hoodrats (antithesis of feminism!) and calling them feminists. wth
Straw man argument. We are saying that feminism has exacerbated the problem with their policies that have been implemented by governments.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:49am On Jun 15, 2013
^ well u must be out of your mind.
are you saying that women enjoy having abortions?

either that or you are referring to the 0.000001% case where the male is a millionaire. and typically most of those women aren't even black.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 1:49am On Jun 15, 2013
Lol @ "feminist homemaker"
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:51am On Jun 15, 2013
pleep: Lol @ "feminist homemaker"

yes. apparently there is such thing as "radical homemaking" I was surprised to find out about it as well grin
like Usula Burns (black female fortune 500 CEO) says feminism is about freedom for women to decide what they want to be. I have my reservation about some feminists too (ex. lipstick feminists) but overall, it's all about the right of women in society and most feminists share that similar goal.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 1:53am On Jun 15, 2013
Actually, women entering the workforce made it all but impossible for the vast majority of females to live comfortably as homemakers. It drove wages down.

I think thats a good thing though... a housewife is a friggin mooch, talk less of a feminist one grin
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by BlackKenichi(m): 1:54am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent:

well, then I will guess that they have a hard time convincing their partners to wear condom. this issue is common in Africa as well. It is one main contributor to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in southern africa where many males REFUSE to wear protection even when the female asks.

if not, I fear that the women aren't aborting enough. seriously!
blacks also have the highest rate of STDs due to this fact.

There's a saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"!
Abortions are nothing more than a false cure. Black women are also incredibly hypergamous and see no problem with sharing the top male of any given situation rather than finding another man. Yet these same women will ask "where have all the good men gone?" and other such bs!
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:57am On Jun 15, 2013
Black Kenichi:

There's a saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"!
Abortions are nothing more than a false cure. Black women are also incredibly hypergamous and see no problem with sharing the top male of any given situation rather than finding another man. Yet these same women will ask "where have all the good men gone?" and other such bs!

like I said earlier, 16 yr old girls getting pregnant by two different men are NOT feminists.
whoever gave u that idea. LOL
same with prostitutes who cannot advocate from themselves when "clients" refuse to put on a condom because it isn't "manly" one cause of HIV epidemic in Africa.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 1:58am On Jun 15, 2013
One humorous review of a book on "Radical Homemaking" found on Amazon grin
(check out the book cover from the link at the end of this post. lol I love it)

--

This is a very subjective and emotional review, admittedly, BUT I just wanted to thank this author for lifting the monkey of guilt off my back: the one that's been living there, whispering little nasties in my ear, ever since I left my Ph.D. program, abandoned my dissertation, shocked my fellow feminist academicians, disappointed my ambitious father, and exchanged the career track for two decades of living simply, raising my daughters,and doing our little part to save the environment.

Back in 1991, when my second daughter was born, my husband and I had no "manifesto" to explain our decision to scale back our lives. No one had attached a "name" to the conclusion I reached--after an ordeal of soul-searching, self-doubt, and even recrimination--that staying home with my babies, scaling back our ambitions and our lifestyle, and throwing my energies into raising our own organic food, becoming caretaker to a large flock of (although we didn't call them that at the time) natural, pastured chickens, of spending many, many hours volunteering with other like-minded women in our community health food cooperative, of devoting time and effort to various environmental organizations and causes, working for politicians who had believed as we did, and--most importantly--unschooling my two girls so that the world became their classroom and their minds were not limited by pedagogy or ideology, was THE most worthwhile use of my time, my passions, and my talents.

Nope. It was just a bizarre detour from my carefully laid, feminist plans. This was a life choice my husband and I HAD to make, because in our hearts we could accept no other, but society (and my own critical, Intellectual Self) sneered at our rusticity, our modest income, my domesticity, our family-centered existence. And I never, ever was able to dispel the vague shame that I had somehow, some way, failed myself and my feminist beliefs.

It was a lonely row to hoe, back then. My colleagues went on to professorships, acclaim, even some modest fame. I collected eggs, read to my children (and then taught them to read) picked and jammed strawberries, marched in parades for liberal politicians, stuffed envelopes for "good causes" and made ends meet. By conventional standards, I had "wasted my valuable education" and yet--when I looked at those healthy, happy, flourishing faces smiling up at me like sunflowers,when my Little Family paused at the end of a quiet, green, sunny spell of learning,playing and experiencing the day ON OUR OWN SCHEDULE,when I saw the stress that eroded the contentment of so many of my contemporaries (the rushing and dashing and scheduling and conflicting desires)our choices seemed right for us, and no waste at all. But...how I wish I'd had a greater sense of community! Of someone else to say, "Oh, yes...we reached the same conclusions and made the same "sacrifices" and we don't think you are nuts."

THIS book is that long-awaited community, that absolution of the last vestiges of guilt ("Quitter...Quitter"..taunted the little voice in my ear) still remaining, 20 years later. For publishing this, you have my deepest, most heartfelt gratitude.

(Oh, and it's a fantastic, well-written, carefully researched, intelligent read, as well!)

http://www.amazon.com/Radical-Homemakers-Reclaiming-Domesticity-Consumer/product-reviews/0979439116/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by BlackKenichi(m): 2:00am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent:

like I said earlier, 16 yr old girls getting pregnant by two different men are NOT feminists.
whoever gave u that idea. LOL
same with prostitutes who cannot advocate from themselves when "clients" refuse to put on a condom because it isn't "manly" one cause of HIV epidemic in Africa.
Please stop retorting with straw man arguments.

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 2:01am On Jun 15, 2013
^Its actually been proven to be a female trait to argue in that manner.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 2:01am On Jun 15, 2013
fellis:

You mind them? They will rather blame feminism for everything than employ number 6. In their minds feminism is the cause of all the world's problems. Feminism is the reason why NEPA took light this morning, feminism is why there was go slow on their way to work, feminism is why Nigeria is not progressing, feminism is what caused world war 1 and 9/11 and hiroshima and nagasaki.

Clowns

LOL. they refuse to face their inadequacy that's why. I bet feminism is also the reason why Africa is the most backward continent in d world. hahahaha
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 2:05am On Jun 15, 2013
Do u ever wonder why males are usually the ones who are most obsessed over abortion and female contraception? hmmm I wonder why.
in a perfect world for sexist males, all women will be baby mamas tied down by 6 kids and unable to make a life for herself.
even the males themselves without any kids tying them down(most have abdicated their familial responsibilities) they aren't making anything out of themselves!!! shame.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by BlackKenichi(m): 2:06am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent:

LOL. they refuse to face their inadequacy that's why. I bet feminism is also the reason why Africa is the most backward continent in d world. hahahaha
The only inadequacy I see are feminists still parroting and parading bs like the wage gap myth yet their beloved backers (the US government) is going broke and desperate all around them.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:10am On Jun 15, 2013
I honestly don't care about what/who Alice Walker used to be; her definition of womanism is what I agree with. Womanism is for black folks and feminism is a white agenda!

An important aspect of womanism is the fundamental focus on racial inequalities (Patton, 2001). As Ogunyemi (1985) outlines, “Black womanism is a philosophy that celebrates black roots, the ideals of black life, while giving a balanced presentation of black womandom” (p. 72). From Walker (1983), we also appreciate the womanist commitment to wholeness and loving "other women sexually and non-sexually" (p. 12). Equally, womanism provides equal and viable representation of Black male struggles (Collins, 2001).

According to Hudson-Weems (1993) racism ensured that Black men and women assumed “unconventional gender roles” (Alexander-Floyd & Simien 2006: 70). Commonly, Black women worked outside the home, leaving a higher rate of domestic responsibilities to men in comparison to “dominant culture” (Alexander-Floyd & Simien 2006: 70). Therefore, due to the fluidity of gender roles within the Black community “mainstream feminist goal of dismantling traditional roles is, at best, inapplicable and, at worst, irrelevant to them” (Alexander-Floyd & Simien 2006: 70).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womanism

^^^^Read and comprehend the bolded parts. wink
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by BlackKenichi(m): 2:10am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent: Do u ever wonder why males are usually the ones who are most obsessed over abortion and female contraception? hmmm I wonder why.

It's because in the end the government and society has to pay for it.

99cent: in a perfect world for sexist males, all women will be baby mamas tied down by 6 kids and unable to make a life for herself.
Typical feminist straw man. Thanks to feminist backed laws, society has to pay for single baby mothers.

99cent: even the males themselves without any kids tying them down(most have abdicated their familial responsibilities) they aren't making anything out of themselves!!! shame.
Says you woman. You're just grasping at straws now!
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 15, 2013
Therefore, due to the fluidity of gender roles within the Black community “mainstream feminist goal of dismantling traditional roles is, at best, inapplicable and, at worst, irrelevant to them

^^^^Mainstream feminism is INAPPLICABLE to black women.

Read and digest that.

You can thank me later for saving a life today.

Cheers, mate. wink
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 2:12am On Jun 15, 2013
lol no comment. hahaha
I will leave you now to start posting your GIFs and other memes

CIAO grin

ShyM-X:
^^^^Mainstream feminism is INAPPLICABLE to black women.

Read and digest that.

You can thank me later for saving a life today.

Cheers, mate. wink

I agree. most black women are FAR from being feminist.
there certainly aren't enough feminists in black America. no way. there isn't!!!
but there are a few. I named some in a list in previous post.

also, Alice Walker is a feminist whether you like it or not. at least she called herself a feminist several times. lol
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:23am On Jun 15, 2013
99cent:
I agree. most black women are FAR from being feminist.
there certainly aren't enough feminists in black America. no way. there isn't!!!
but there are a few. I named some in a list in previous post.

Alice Walker is a feminist whether you like it or not. at least she called herself a feminist several times. lol

I guess that was in the past before she started discerning that mainstream feminism agenda is/was anti-black-family. People change their ideological thought process from time to time as they move from one realm of consciousness to the other. We can cite the transformation of W.E.B Dubois as well.

However, the crux of the matter is that mainstream feminism is anti-black and the earlier young black girls understand this; the better for the black family.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:32am On Jun 15, 2013
Black Kenichi: Steve Irwin even agrees with me! wink grin

lwkd
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:33am On Jun 15, 2013
Black Kenichi: Jean Luc Picard sums feminism up

[i][/i]jeez
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by 99cent: 2:35am On Jun 15, 2013
ShyM-X:

I guess that was in the past before she started discerning that mainstream feminism agenda is/was anti-black-family. People change their ideological thought process from time to time as they move from one realm of consciousness to the other. We can cite the transformation of W.E.B Dubois as well.

However, the crux of the matter is that mainstream feminism is anti-black and the earlier young black girls understand this; the better for the black family.

I understand what you mean. u make 100x more sense than the fools on this thread.
I think many black feminists already know this. when feminism was "white only" of course there will be racist aspects to it. but that doesn't mean blacks can't claim feminism for themselves too.

i'm guessing what you are saying is that blacks should have a separate terminology or "word" for their rights activism? ie "womanist" I don't think so. if it happens, the term or word will be bastardized in no time by sexist black males.

I like feminism. black feminism is even better.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:36am On Jun 15, 2013
c.fours and her copy and paste BS, why don't go and enjoy your Scandinavia? Na by force to bring your wahala in Africa? Go where the pastures are greener and stay there, don't care about us .
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:37am On Jun 15, 2013
receiving points from c.fours? Ma belle ooo
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 2:40am On Jun 15, 2013
are African women this dunce? Why don't you create your own ideology? An ideology that will fit your realities?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (45) (Reply)

If You Don't Want People To Disrespect You, Stop Doing These 10 Things (Opinion) / See 10 Nigerians Who Are In Guinness Book Of Record. / Lagos Amputee Hawker, Mary Daniel Acquires N17.5m House In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.