Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much (31327 Views)

"My Neighbour Has A Girlfriend But Still Sleeps With Me Every Time” / Photo: You May Kiss The Bride / I Love My Girlfriend But I'm Tired And Not Sexually Moved By Her Anymore. . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by ifyfaith: 9:36am On Apr 16, 2013
if say na true,den na imo d girl from come because dey too dey put price fr their girls, bros abeg flee n let her extended family marry her
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Marpol: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2013
Anazp: Hello. I have been dating my girl for about five years now. I proposed to her and she agreed to marry me. However after fixing the date from the traditional Wedding, her parents are asking for five million naira as Bride Price. I told my girlfriend to appeal to them to at least reduce it to two million but her parents refuse. They say its an extended family decision like her Uncles and other relatives. I don't understand. I love my girl and she loves me. She's from Orlu, Imo State. I need your advice. Thanks

Your story is a big fat lie!

1 Like

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by ChrisGnarly: 9:39am On Apr 16, 2013
@op. if this story is 2ru, bt am nt sure. ask d girl to bring d mony if she wort it. or if she is nt in support of d family, u two shld agree then gv her bele, then they beg u to come without kobo. thats so stupid of d parents if na tru oo, cos 5m no be 500k oo
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Kzinne: 9:41am On Apr 16, 2013
lazchuks: You dont need to be told that the story is false. I got married last two weeks from that same Orlu Imo State, the bride price was only 1,600 Naira. So tell me how true this story can be?
haha were u buying a recharge card?
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Cornel88(m): 9:41am On Apr 16, 2013
You must be joking otherwise, 2million naira is even too much.
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by dozieo(m): 9:42am On Apr 16, 2013
Anazp: Hello. I have been dating my girl for about five years now. I proposed to her and she agreed to marry me. However after fixing the date from the traditional Wedding, her parents are asking for five million naira as Bride Price. I told my girlfriend to appeal to them to at least reduce it to two million but her parents refuse. They say its an extended family decision like her Uncles and other relatives. I don't understand. I love my girl and she loves me. She's from Orlu, Imo State. I need your advice. Thanks

[b][/b]My friend the 2million is way too much that one go even help you do the trad and white wedding and still have change with proper planning...but my guy to get money for them to even talk about millions haba,come my villa na 100k everything go cost you including drinks,food,DJ,canopy,Chairs etc...Am pissed with some fathers oooo!
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Kzinne: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2013
Marpol:

Your story is a big fat lie!
u are in a jonzing world. boys got cash
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by theripper2: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2013
Money wey reach me build better Bungalow for Ifo for Ogun state. I go buy gun for the family to go rob
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by LEXYCOM: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2013
Propose installment payment to the family of the girl....
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by 1forall: 9:45am On Apr 16, 2013
And we complain of corruption?
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by mymadam(m): 9:45am On Apr 16, 2013
horlajide: Ask your in-laws if in return for the 5million ,you get:

-a receipt(for full payment and full ownership) tenable in the court of law

-a warranty covering the product bride till infinity

-a framed certificate of owneship (which i suggest u hang in your sitting-room,infact make photocopies and hang them in every single room at home)
undecided

Ooohhhh... AND a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) from Imo State Government! God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by LEXYCOM: 9:45am On Apr 16, 2013
5 million wat? Come ma village, na free u go marry our beautiful girls...
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 16, 2013
This story sounds like a joke or an absolute lie, however if you can't afford it- you simply move on. I'm rather reluctant to say much.. Fishy!
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by akpanbaba: 9:47am On Apr 16, 2013
Just marry her instalmentally,abi there is no provision for instalmental payments .It could be monthly or quarterly depending on your salary/income.
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by tellwisdom: 9:48am On Apr 16, 2013
What exactly is the money for??...
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Leebeedo(m): 9:51am On Apr 16, 2013
Tell ur would be in laws 2 go to hell with their daughter or better still if they want to make money,they should take her to d abattoir to sell her like a cattle if they really need money
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 16, 2013
pDude: Lmao. I will use 2 million to invest in goats and chicken business. It is more valuable than buying an IMO girl for that price
but Imo gurls are very beautiful o.
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by gustababy(f): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2013
this op is a stupid liar, i come from orlu and am happily married and d bride price is not even close to 200k. THIEF
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2013
E be like say this OP get money to waste. You even de price 2milla, when others de marry for free with connection from their inlaw join?

1 Like

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by jasperkin(m): 9:56am On Apr 16, 2013
if u know u do find the money and pay 4 ur bride...na baba GOD DEY PROVIDE MONEY NT HUMAN.PRAY AN IT WILL BE GIVEN.
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Tsun(f): 9:58am On Apr 16, 2013
Ohhh plzz stop!!! I don't believe you. What nonsense,even if their daughter, is a plot of land........
You better find your way my bros
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by medube(m): 9:59am On Apr 16, 2013
dahonestboss: when others de marry for free with connection from their inlaw join?

EXACTLY!!! Your inlaws can influence what the bride price and list and others will be. Mind you, when the elders conclude on a price, the bride price is finally paid to the father of the girl and nobody else. If he is the one sticking to the 5m price, then my brother it is your inlaw that wants the money and nobody else smiley
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Niggmatic: 9:59am On Apr 16, 2013
Kzinne: u are in a jonzing world. boys got cash
please stop stalking people around and learn how to stfu. @o.p, you are a disgrace to professional liars
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by 5much(m): 10:00am On Apr 16, 2013
Bro, calm down nd nogotiate wt them well. 5million is TOO MUCH. HABA
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by hyelhira: 10:01am On Apr 16, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I converted it and It's too small..there are families which ask cars, flight tickets .

2big pigs cost more than 200.000 N stop being stingy or u will end up single

What is wrong with your sense of value? Let's assume the OP is right. Why will you compare a woman (who will be your wife) with some commodities or merchandise like a pig for instance? Why do families 'sell' their daughters via ridiculous bride prices? Are they recouping their 'investments' in the lady or is the price their 'discounted future economic value' of the lady?

If a man 'buys' such a lady and uses her for cash generation by say money rituals to 'recoup his investment' (since the lady is already commoditized by her family), will the family still have the moral standing to complain?

I think I prefer the dowry system anyway.

1 Like

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Popolanpo: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2013
Cash and carry bride!!!

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2013
medube:

EXACTLY!!! Your inlaws can influence what the bride price and list and others will be. Mind you, when the elders conclude on a price, the bride price is finally paid to the father of the girl and nobody else. If he is the one sticking to the 5m price, then my brother it is your inlaw that wants the money and nobody else smiley

Reasons why I appreciate the yoruba style of no brideprice. If the man start to de beat the wife now, he go use the bride price wey him pay as an ''evidence of ownership'', which automatically gives him the right to treat her the way he like.

1 Like

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by jimharry21(m): 10:06am On Apr 16, 2013

is either you are not telling us the real truth or the people who are demanding such sum are abruptly stupid
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by AceVentura: 10:09am On Apr 16, 2013
Bullcrap, is the girl's body gold plated? My hometown is not far from there & our bride price is N25.25k. Your prospective in-laws are criminals.

My advice to you is to run like hell. Let them marry their daughter. I got married to a Delta lady & the bride price was 5k.
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by hafeesa: 10:09am On Apr 16, 2013
angelsing: why i my do only one who thinks this is a complete fabrication of the Op mind..5million?.pls come up wit a better lie

It could actually be true. I know of a friend's case. He spent almost 3million on the cash aspect of the bride price, that's excluding the palm wine and stuff. This was about 3years ago. It was when they split up last year that we, his friends actually realised just how much he spent. The family, of course are yet to refund the bride price, though I'm not entirely sure they're supposed to. Not too familiar with their tradition. The girl is also from Imo state, can't remember the name of her village though.
Point is, some people actually have rather ridiculous traditions when it comes to marriages. However, I don't think we need to be tribalistic about it. All tribes have their various shortcomings. More enlightened Ibo families these days are a lot more reasonable in regards to marriage practices. I don't think it has anything to do with tribe, I think it's all about exposure. Just my thought though. . .I'm sure you all have yours. . .

3 Likes

Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 16, 2013
Ace Ventura: Bullcrap, is the girl's body gold plated? My hometown is not far from there & our bride price is N25.25k. Your prospective in-laws are criminals.

My advice to you is to run like hell. Let them marry their daughter. I got married to a Delta lady & the bride price was 5k.

You marry a lady for 25.50euros you mean? chaiii, the girl cheap ooo? make we see her picture abeg grin grin
Re: I'm In Love With My Girlfriend, But The Bride Price Is Just Too Much by Malawian(m): 10:11am On Apr 16, 2013
i only read the first page before commenting. soon, this guy will say he is a yorubaman.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Hookup Didn't Start Today, Our Mothers Started It - Prophetess Jane Chukwu / Attitude Some Ladies Portray That Show They Are Only Good For Dating / Professions That Have Less Dating Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.