Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? (23491 Views)

Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? / Is Nigeria Really This Bad? / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 26, 2013
I'v read thru several comments and discovered a certain PATTERN in the posts so far. The usual critics of PDP led federal govt are almost unanimous in their submissions that Nigeria is very unsafe. The usual supporters of the govt and some neutrals are of the opinion that insecurity in Nigeria is exaggerated. Now, that CONFIRMS my earlier submission as to how promotion of ethnic or partisan interest influences opinions in Nigeria. Another interesting dimension is that if those who claim Nigeria is very unsafe are further interrogated as to situation in Lagos and other southwest states where the ACN is holding sway, they'll turn 360 degrees and give hundreds of reasons why those parts of Nigeria are safe. More like speaking from both sides of the mouth- Nigeria is unsafe but the ACN controlled states in Nigeria are safe. Very unfortunate

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by sol2galay: 10:15am On Apr 26, 2013
ola_pluto:
So Nigerian children cannot play on the street at 3am? Fear is one thing. Actual insecurity is another. Nigeria is more secure than Pakistan in all aspects.

Bro you hear about pakistan on news,i am very sure you have not being to pakistan. before coming to Pakistan i thought it is next to hell,but it was not so.in pakistan here you can't fear fellow human,if you like sleep in bush nobody will ask u who are you. but try to leave your house and trek from Ojo to mile2 i dont thing u will live to tell what you will see.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Afam4eva(m): 10:15am On Apr 26, 2013
nnenna.1:
I will say that crime has reduced somewhat in Lagos from what I hear.

The 90's and early 2000's were the really bad years.

[size=14pt]Big organized crime may have reduced but small and petty thieving and kidnapping is the order of the day.[/size]
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by publisher(m): 10:18am On Apr 26, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Again, another thoughtless rejoinder.
Does the N5m stop Linda Ikeji from being kidnapped, robbed, or even shot by policemen?
Was NOI's mother not kidnapped? What are you even saying? So, because I am comfortable, Nigeria is good, and everybody who thinks otherwise is an eediot?

Please stop typing this nonsense, it's too early in the day abeg.

[size=13pt]Nna,you are a complete loser o,no doubt. You sound like one of those that choose to remain poor and insignificant in life for fear of being noticed by 'evil eyes'. Super stars don't experience misfortunes in other advanced countries? What happened to Lucky Dube, Tupac, Notorius BIG,Versace and a host of others?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 26, 2013
suxes2005: Lies!

Even in broad day light, you get robbed. Yeah, dey show u dia gun
Right there askin for ur possession, u got no choice than to surrender
These and many more happens on the street.

As for America, av you read a situation where a gang killed an innocent
Person walkin on the street?

More compare their population to ours and you'll come to ur senses.

Sheyi

This is exactly what the poster is saying. Nigerians and local journalists are the ones blowing this out of proportion.
To be frank with this topic, Nigeria is relatively safe. The crime rates in USA, South Africa are far more than that in Nigeria but if crime occurs in the USA the probability of bringing the criminal to justice is almost 100% while the few ones that occur in Nigeria, the victims may not get justice and not recover their looted properties.
Nigeria is still safe, it is the fear of crime in certain areas that is actually high than the occurence of the crime itself
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by AjanleKoko: 10:22am On Apr 26, 2013
publisher:

[size=13pt]Nna,you are a complete loser o,no doubt. You sound like one of those that choose to remain poor and insignificant in life for fear of being noticed by 'evil eyes'. Super stars don't experience misfortunes in other advanced countries? What happened to Lucky Dube, Tupac, Notorius BIG,Versace and a host of others?[/size]

Friend,
I am by far more successful than you could ever hope to be. Or anybody in your family in fact.
Listen to yourself. I don't live on government handouts. In fact, I am probably more connected to the government than you are. And you are here talking like a child, mentioning Genevive and Dbanj, people whom we pay to perform at our functions?
Jesus. I don't refer to my househelps when I want to assess the state of the country. You are obviously on a very low level, that's why you're typing all this trash.

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by naptu2: 10:23am On Apr 26, 2013
publisher:

[size=13pt]@Bolded: Bros are you for real? Is it 'leadership' that will make one to apply his/her talents in such a way that it yields good returns? A failure is a failure - Linda Ikeji makes over N5 million a month from blogging in her bedroom,wetin concern Nigerian 'leadership' with her hustle? The fact that she's making so much money from Nigerian corporate sponsors should tell you the immense opportunities in Nigeria.

A failure is a failure ,full stop.[/size]

Yes! My old friend is back! In this video, Aliko Dangote said the same thing that you are trying to say.

The Aliko Dangote interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_H_LrZ1DE
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by babaskool(m): 10:24am On Apr 26, 2013
FOR ALL OF YOU WHO THINK NIGERIA IS NOT SAFE SO YOU THINK THIS UK ISA SAFE PLS READ FOR YOUR SELF https://www.nairaland.com/1270401/re-nigeria-really-unsafe-20
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by tellwisdom: 10:25am On Apr 26, 2013
I can actually kill most of you guys in reality and go scot-free in Nigeria grin grin...What a country as sweet as Nigeria embarassed embarassed. Country where political criminals are seriously respected.. A place where Another country's budget are or can be shared between 3 people. I can kill anybody and bribe the judge to close the case angry. Na money dey talk. grin

Ok, a place where our police force secures the rich only, leaving the poor to their fate...Nigeria, a joke city where you can be roped with a missile, six A.K 47, seven cartridges, 12 human skulls, 5 grenades, four liters of petrol, and two cars placed on an individual fr a day robbery. grin

God bless Nigeria
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by naptu2: 10:26am On Apr 26, 2013
@ topic: Is there any place that's really safe?
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Evestar200(f): 10:28am On Apr 26, 2013
C as una dy paint nigeria with black nd white colour instead of green nd white una bad o,,,where i dy nd where i don go,,all dy safe die

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Afam4eva(m): 10:29am On Apr 26, 2013
naptu2: @ topic: Is there any place that's really safe?
[size=14pt]But some places are far safer than some other places.[/size]
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by sol2galay: 10:30am On Apr 26, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I'v read thru several comments and discovered a certain PATTERN in the posts so far. The usual critics of PDP led federal govt are almost unanimous in their submissions that Nigeria is very unsafe. The usual supporters of the govt and some neutrals are of the opinion that insecurity in Nigeria is exaggerated. Now, that CONFIRMS my earlier submission as to how promotion of ethnic or partisan interest influences opinions in Nigeria. Another interesting dimension is that if those who claim Nigeria is very unsafe are further interrogated as to situation in Lagos and other southwest states where the ACN is holding sway, they'll turn 360 degrees and give hundreds of reasons why those parts of Nigeria are safe. More like speaking from both sides of the mouth- Nigeria is unsafe but the ACN controlled states in Nigeria are safe. Very unfortunate

Guy must you attach everything to politics? Remember all of us are nigerians and you can't be more patrotic than me,all this criticism are because nigeria is our country and we dont have any other place to go and the future our unborn children is on stake. Forget how favourable this regime is to you and let us look to the future,i am not a youruba i am an igboman,so i dont attach sentiment on peoples opinion especially when there are criticising constructively.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by publisher(m): 10:39am On Apr 26, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Friend,
I am by far more successful than you could ever hope to be. Or anybody in your family in fact.
Listen to yourself. I don't live on government handouts. In fact, I am probably more connected to the government than you are. And you are here talking like a child, mentioning Genevive and Dbanj, people whom we pay to perform at our functions?
Jesus. I don't refer to my househelps when I want to assess the state of the country. You are obviously on a very low level, that's why you're typing all this trash.

[size=13pt]Come on HUSH...did I ever make reference to my own financial status? Those who have nothing make the most noise. You are a frustrated 'poor' day dreamer...that's a fact![/size]

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Evestar200(f): 10:40am On Apr 26, 2013
B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G N-E-W-S,, shey all of una dy shout xay nigeria is unsafe,,oya make una tune to CNN make una c wetin dy happen 4 the safe country wey una dy talk abt
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by cr7lomo: 10:42am On Apr 26, 2013
to start with, u sud define unface, again u sud try to know the causes of a nation or area being unsafe. now i will put up a list of why a nation can b classified as unsafe
1. PHCN; a nation dat has almost constant blackouts is considered unsafe because criminals operate in d dark
2. bad road; criminals take advantage of our bad roads to strike motorist as thats on way in which cars slow down
3. the police in general; now these are the people that are meant to protect lives and properties , but unfortunately, they have teamed up with robbers to rob, try to carry ten thousand dollars in ur car alone and let police stop u in the middle of the night with the money sighted, they will immediately kill u , take the money and label u an armed robber
4. poverty; 70 percent of nigerians liv below a dollar per day , this leads to desperation and high crime.
5. get reach quick; being defrauded is another way of saying you are unsafe because being unsafe doesnt neccessarily mean only life but property.
6 judiciary; are system is so poor that cases hardly reach a conclusion , so as very poor investigation units in the country makes it difficult for criminals to be caught.
7; intimidation; we have a high level of upper class intimidating the lower class dats also regarded as unsafe cause the police that are meant to be for all only supports the person that settles them
8; slow response; the nigerian police are usually slow to respond to distress calls an example is the robbery @ the airport , twice in the space of a year at the same airport(naigerias largests airport and 1 of the busiest airports in nigeria in broad day light by the same set of robbers, where in the world does this happen.
9. many unsolved murder cases
10. extra judicial killings( aluu 4) where in the world does it happen.
11. aviation system; is it really safe to fly our airlines with over 10 air disasters in a decade, the highest in the history of the aviation system in the world.
12. tankers and containers; they keep on killing and destroyin properties all over the country

i can go on and on, being unsafe is not only when armed robbers attack u, they are over a million reasons ( ritual killings 4 money). u can go on and on

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Skywalker5(m): 10:43am On Apr 26, 2013
During Easter when i was in Nigeria , went out with my friends to see someone who just built his house in lekki. we stayed there for a while and left around 10pm going back to Ikoyi. Got stopped by some police officers( i though they said fashola banned checkpoints in Lagos? ) Told us to come out and later claimed we assaulted one of their officers aiming their gun at us saying they were going to shoot us. it was a tactic to throw us off our feet and when they found £ in my pocket, they concluded i was a yahoo boy. One of them told us they could waste all of us and claim we were armed robber and refused to stop. I really questioned why i came to Naija that day as i have not seen this kind of thing before in a long time. This guys that were suppose to keep the road safe said they would waste us and call us armed robbers which makes we wonder how many innocent people have been killed by police officers. I gave them money which is obviously what they wanted and they started calling me Rich kid. i was happy no accidental discharge happen and lucky to still be alive as i could smell concentrated substance on them which i could think off as weed. I noticed the other officers were trying to calm the guy who raised the gun at us claiming we assaulted him down.Either he is mentally unstable or was high on drugs.Till i left back to the UK,i refused to leave the house at night and ensure i am back home latest by 7pm.

Now i am here and reading post from people claiming Nigeria is safe? Maybe you guys should try staying in UK for a while and see the difference. I leave my house at 2am to pick up my mate at the train station and no reason for me to hesitate at night.Friday night, we go out from Portsmouth to London and sometimes Birmingham and we have no worries about any dangers on the road.Road is safe,No armed robber,No pot holes on motorways. In Nigeria, i have to keep reciting psalm 23

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by AjanleKoko: 10:44am On Apr 26, 2013
publisher:

[size=13pt]Come on HUSH...did I ever make reference to my own financial status? Those who have nothing make the most noise. You are a frustrated 'poor' day dreamer...that's a fact![/size]

You have no financial status to make any reference to.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by AIYELE(m): 10:48am On Apr 26, 2013
9jer is not a safe country, I remember the last time I went to njer with my family i just newly finish my bunk, with all the security in the house I still go to bed with fear as if say na ritual money man take build the house. The last time I went alone fear no let me spend a night Inside my own bunk because of bad people who ready to kill for 10€[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by successking: 10:52am On Apr 26, 2013
Nigeria is safe to live in like every other country in the world.

Violence has no respect for continents, country, black or white, and so every country in the world is having her own share of it.

It's just unfortunate that when some Nigerians say slanderous thing about Nigeria, they get fulfilled in their souls with relish in their mouths.

For the local media, they have run out of ideas on how to sell their papers and so they take pride in reporting criminality and violence and suppress all the good news just to get attention and in turn sell their papers, forgetting that the world judges through the stories she reads on papers.

Let us change our attitude towards NIGERIA.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by rusher14: 10:55am On Apr 26, 2013
Billyonaire: Hey, it got on your nerves right ? Truth is bitter. Nigeria is safe for us oh, and we are cashing in and making billions. At 21 I was already a millionaire and my first billion was at 31 and Nigeria is unsafe. I pity you mentally poor people, its the reason you will always be slave to the white man. I guess Oyibo land is safe and your home country is not. Cos you see nothing good about yourselves. When you look in the mirror, you see a slave in you. Moronic persona non grata.
Men, you need help for real!
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by cr7lomo: 10:58am On Apr 26, 2013
can you go to church or any public gathering freely in the north without fear of being bombed or shot for no reason

can u drive ur range or G55 freely in the east without fear of being double crossed and bundle into another vehicle for ransom

can u be in trafick in the west without having the fear of being robbed or tanker exploding or container falling on your vehicle in the west

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by olapluto(m): 11:07am On Apr 26, 2013
Sky-walker:
During Easter when i was in Nigeria , went out with my friends to see someone who just built his house in lekki. we stayed there for a while and left around 10pm going back to Ikoyi. Got stopped by some police officers( i though they said fashola banned checkpoints in Lagos? ) Told us to come out and later claimed we assaulted one of their officers aiming their gun at us saying they were going to shoot us. it was a tactic to throw us off our feet and when they found £ in my pocket, they concluded i was a yahoo boy. One of them told us they could waste all of us and claim we were armed robber and refused to stop. I really questioned why i came to Naija that day as i have not seen this kind of thing before in a long time. This guys that were suppose to keep the road safe said they would waste us and call us armed robbers which makes we wonder how many innocent people have been killed by police officers. I gave them money which is obviously what they wanted and they started calling me Rich kid. i was happy no accidental discharge happen and lucky to still be alive as i could smell concentrated substance on them which i could think off as weed. I noticed the other officers were trying to calm the guy who raised the gun at us claiming we assaulted him down.Either he is mentally unstable or was high on drugs.Till i left back to the UK,i refused to leave the house at night and ensure i am back home latest by 7pm.

Now i am here and reading post from people claiming Nigeria is safe? Maybe you guys should try staying in UK for a while and see the difference. I leave my house at 2am to pick up my mate at the train station and no reason for me to hesitate at night.Friday night, we go out from Portsmouth to London and sometimes Birmingham and we have no worries about any dangers on the road.Road is safe,No armed robber,No pot holes on motorways. In Nigeria, i have to keep reciting psalm 23
So by that single, isolated incidence, Nigeria is unsafe. Bravo! Hope you have your red pali because Nigeria doesnt really need you.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by viexcey(f): 11:27am On Apr 26, 2013
Its only God that Guarantee safety...No place is totally safe but one cannot compare safety btween Nigeria and Developed nations.
Let's be sincere to ourselves, the level of Insecurity in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. People die everyday for what they are might to live for. No security measure taken to secure lives and properties. Militant group(s) can rise up anytime,do whatever they want and ever get Compensated by FG...
I believe God will see us through this phrase,ever so called developed nations passed through this stage one way or the other some time ago.
I Love My Country. God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Skywalker5(m): 11:31am On Apr 26, 2013
ola_pluto:
So by that single, isolated incidence, Nigeria is unsafe. Bravo! Hope you have your red pali because Nigeria doesnt really need you.

There is no point lying to ourselves. Naija na my country and i will still say it is unsafe. I am more concerned about the road because that is what hits me the most when i came down.

That incident left me thinking.Here is another one. I was driving around 5pm around the island area not far from shoprite. Near one roundabout there,one police office shouted at me and jumped to my front with gun in his hand telling me to park(why will he shout in the first place. he created so much scene to make me feel i was a criminal or something).I parked and he came to my window,Guess what he said? ahh, too much money. baba ni e. . Is that the guys who are suppose to be battling crime in the city? He did not even ask me to open my booth. He only ask for money.no drivers license, no where was i coming from?.nothing. Just money.

Nigeria is really unsafe due to the corruption in the society. Its a well known fact that if you got money,you can do and undo in Nigeria.Does that make Nigeria safe?

Driving also in Nigeria is unsafe. Fact. The way everybody drives in Nigeria is unstable. You might think i am talking crap but please i need you make research. When my uncle in uk(i was in naija then) came and complained about how people drive in Nigeria,i though he was talking rubbish but its the fact, naija driving is unsafe.people driving and claiming two lanes on the road . so they can pick which lane moves fast. people jumping from one lane to another . scratch your car and all you will hear is sorry. My cousin almost got robbed on third mainland bridge at night.
There are loads of things. That light issue is another thing that makes Nigeria unsafe. That loud generator is also part of the things that makes Nigeria unsafe. Bad roads, bad politicians,no law and order.

Lets know we have problems in Nigeria and find ways to solve it than to keep deceiving ourselves

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 26, 2013
Nigeria is a third world country and has the same safety problems as most other such countries. The issues result from the fact that the State does not really act as one and does not render the minimal services to its citizens that in a developed country are naturally expected: there is no central I.D. registration, no health care system, no emergency numbers for police, ambulance or fire brigade or any nationwide social security services. It is a democracy but not really and the country is deeply divided on ethnic and clans rivalry fights between the north and south and almost any other geographical section. One may disappear over night without anyone really caring about it unless he has a close family. When one asks about safety - he must be more specific. Safety for who and where? Is a safe country for tourists or for the thousands of expatriates that live here or is it safe for its locals. And if locals - is it safe for the rich ones or for the regular or poor ones? Safety as compared to which country? One matter is clear - the Nigerian police is not really something they can be proud of and the locals will think twice before getting any matter to them.
Nevertheless, in spite of the above, the average Nigerian is openhearted and tolerant and I have felt at home here all during the many years I have been in Nigeria as an expatriate. I would categorically NOT recommend it as a place for tourists unless exceptionally adventurous..
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by adconline(m): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2013
ola_pluto:
What's ur understanding of isolated incidence? Maybe ur dictionary is written by Boko Haram? This a daily occurrence in Naija and you are talking as if you live in Aso Rock. BTW, GEJ had to stay indoor during one of ur our Independence anniversaries due to insecurity.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Guk: 11:58am On Apr 26, 2013
(1) There is a high threat from terrorism in Nigeria i.e Boko Haram; MEND. Yes or NO

(2) There is a high threat of kidnap throughout/anywhere in Nigeria for financial or political gain, and can be motivated by criminality or terrorism. Yes or NO

(3) Demonstrations and civil unrest can occur at short notice, i.e. Higher Institutions; NUTRW; After friday mosque prayers becos of?? Yes or NO

(4) Violent crime is common. Aguleri/Umuleri; Jos; Junkuns; Fulani Herdsmen; Boys in the Hood @ Fadeyi; Police vs Army.Yes or NO

(5)Armed Robbery can occur at anytime. i.e In traffic; On Highways; In Supermarkets; Early risers going to catch office staff bus? Yes or NO

(6)Do you know number of curfews in force? Yes or NO

(7) Armed robberies against ships at anchor in Nigerian waters and at many of the rivers and harbours in the Niger Delta area.Yes or NO

(cool Unauthorised vehicle checkpoints Yes or NO

(9) "One Chance" Public transport is dangerous? Yes or NO

(10) Taxis and long distance buses are often poorly maintained, uninsured and driven by unqualified drivers? Yes or NO

(11) Bogus greeters exist? Yes or NO

(12) There are concerns about the safety and reliability of some airline companies operating domestic flights within Nigeria? Yes or NO

(13) Large % of hospitals lack basic facilities? Yes or NO

(14) Hotels & Guest Houses require armed police guards? Yes or NO

@poster, Just to add that when you went on your good governance tour, you went around with heavily armed security men as we saw on TV.

And for those comparing Nigeria with other countries, its totally irrelevant as the question is What do you want for your own country? If its Zero crime, ask for it. Dont condone crime becos it happens in other places.

Lastly, the crux of the matter is What are in place to ensure we have a reduction and thereby confidence on the long run. Lets learn how those who have succeded hv done it and borrow from them not compare their bad numbers to justify ours

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by RedLight1: 12:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]Big organized crime may have reduced but small and petty thieving and kidnapping is the order of the day.[/size]
kidnapping is order of the day in lagos? undecided dude are u sure u live in lagos?
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Guk: 12:10pm On Apr 26, 2013
cr7lomo.:
can you go to church or any public gathering freely in the north without fear of being bombed or shot for no reason

Its not only in the North o! Practically every known church in Lagos now have MOPOL during services undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Rossikk(m): 12:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
tellwisdom: [size=15pt]I'd rather live in Somalia than staying in Nigeria...Rossike, please stop this bribe from the OGA at the top...Please, Na God i take beg you. NIGERIA Is not safe for animals, let alone Human undecided undecided[/size]
Is it by talking? Why not go to Somala and even build a house there? Brainless animal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

More Pictures & Video As Atiku & Okowa Campaign In Katsina State / Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent / 2023: We Are Comfortable Supporting Atiku, PDP — Anambra Traditional Rulers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.