Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,362 members, 7,829,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? (23490 Views)

Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? / Is Nigeria Really This Bad? / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Omen100(m): 10:53pm On Apr 25, 2013
Rossikk: ^^By statistical and demographic analysis.

Continue 2 deceive yourself, it will not happen to u but someone very closed to u, so that u will live to testify of the pains that come's with the insecurity we Nigerians are faced with as a country day in day out.

8 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by mysticgal(f): 10:53pm On Apr 25, 2013
it's totaly safe,nigeria is safe,N.B*mysticgal have not been to wuse market in her whole life*she never even round her compound finish,op carry on
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by fckyourman: 10:54pm On Apr 25, 2013
[size=13pt]naija is safe. at least here you don't hear drive by shooting like in america. people defending america like their father country. without knowing their are immigrant they can be deported anytime when in trouble or visa.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 25, 2013
The OP/author of that article must be smoking some good weed. Because you really have to be on some cloud 9 to just blatantly deny the fact that Nigeria is grossly unsafe. The same Nigeria where armed robbers operate in broad daylight.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by OmoTier1(m): 10:56pm On Apr 25, 2013
Rossikk:

Swear that this wasn't over ten years ago.

That's a direct challenge.

I've told you to drop your old views on the Naija you left behind in the 90s. Naija has changed. Armed robbery has decreased compared to what it used to be back in your days. You really need to get with the program. When we're travelling now we hardly even think about robbers. cool
Why should I swear? Cntrary to your claim, however the event I narrated happened in 2011 November! The reality is, you cannot pretend all along that Nigeria is okay and peaceful, it will only be matter of time for things to unravel themselves. Rather we as a nation tell ourselves the truth and sort it all out. After all, it was no foreigner who turned the once peaceful and loving country on its head. We as a people did and we must turn lead and seek to do right. Pretence will take us no where!

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by chinaman666(m): 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2013
Especially for foreigners, Nigeria can be quite unsafe. Of course, I feel very safe when there are a lot of people around during the day, like in markets and in shopping centers, of course. There are more kidnapping than in Asia or the West for sure, but don't know if more than other African countries.

It's quite a necessity for Chinese here to spent a significant amount of our budget in bribes and security to feel safe. I'm sure many Nigerians do it as well, but I would guess that for a Nigerian on the same socioeconomic level as a foreign expat, the expat would spend a larger amount on security.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2013
Well since no verifiable stats are available on crime rates/violence or unrest I can only go by personal anecdote. Comparing my experience in urban neighborhoods in Nigeria vs the equivalent abroad.

Number of times that I have personally been robbed (among a group of victims) or have been in close proximity to a robbery incident while it took place:

Nigeria: 6-8 times (personally robbed once. Almost robbed and escaped the chance but was in proximity to other victims trapped - twice).

Current location (abroad): 0

Number of times that I was caught up in an episode of civil unrest/mass panic (aka riots):

Nigeria: 2
Current location:0

I also personally know a few people that have died as a result of violent crime in Nigeria.

Another way to guage this is how comfortable parents are in letting their young daughters brave a road trip in Nigeria, vs in a country such as the US or the UK.

7 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Positiveminds(m): 10:58pm On Apr 25, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]"Absolutely", only on Nairaland. Try it and you may never reach your destination. You have the knack of always lying to yourself. Nigeria is unsafe like been painted.[/size]
A man shalt eat of the fruit of his lips. Nigeria shalt remain unsafe for thee and thy fathers house, o thou son of perdition.

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2013
Nigeria is safe...as long as you are suicidal
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by theripper3: 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2013
Naija no safe kobo except una wan dey deceive unaself. Dis one wey armed robbers don dey write compulsory invitation letter to house owners.

Armed robbers, drunk policemen, Ansaru, Boko tins, JAMBS, ritualists, one chance, gang related violence (cultism), Kidnappers, MEND, bad roads, flying coffins.

How many man wan put down.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 25, 2013
fckyourman: [size=13pt]naija is safe. at least here you don't hear drive by shooting like in america. people defending america like their father country. without knowing their are immigrant they can be deported anytime when in trouble or visa.[/size]

LOl are you in AMERICA? DO YOU EVEN KNOW THE IMMIGRATION POLICES?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by tutu1: 11:03pm On Apr 25, 2013
Nawa oh so somebody can write up this kind of lie, how is Nigeria safe, where did he see foreigners, this is a white lie and it is sad, this same Nigeria that people get robbed in daylight, even Banks get robbed , with no response from police , the only safe places are Lagos and Abuja and we cant really know how safe they are because just a few weeks ago there was a robbery in airport and it was at day time not night

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by churific(m): 11:04pm On Apr 25, 2013
Yet, we the ones abroad are scared to death to come home and visit our families.

We have to follow a million guidelines just to be safe and breathe properly in your own land. Either ways, there's no place like home and home is Nigeria!

As long as there's life, there's hope and I'm still optimistic for our future. Soon, all these old farts that have been in power since Independence will die off and we'll hopefully have some young creative minds run the country toward its deserved potential.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by PHIPEX(m): 11:05pm On Apr 25, 2013
I don't get it when some Nigerians make fast comparisms between Nigeria and America; how reasonable is it to compare a first world nation against a nation that is still ranked in the 3rd world category? A reasonable comparism should be Nigeria against the likes of Egypt, South Africa, Mexico and the likes. If you compare Nigeria to Britain and America you'll easily conclude that Nigeria is not safe but if we are reasonable enough to compare the country against her mates like India and the Arab countries then we may appreciate the country better.

America should be compared against Britain while Nigeria should be compared against South-Africa.

7 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by nijanigga: 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2013
ola_pluto: Lets not derail the thread by arguing with Rossikk....Is Nigeria really unsafe? Yes and NO.Honestly largely NO. I grew up in Ibadan and always stay in IB whenever I'm in Nigeria. Perhaps due to having a 'son of the soil' feeling, I pretty much travel around IB anytime of the day. I can hit Lagos-Ibadan at any time of the night. So far, I havent been robbed, my only fear is accident with Dangote's trucks on the pot-holed roads
I fully agree that some parts of the country are unsafe, but honestly that is more to do with perceptive fear than actual insecurity. But again, perceptive fear builds on years of constant occurrence.
You're also lucky that the tanker that burned over 70 houses in Ibadan just last week in the heart of the city is not near you,else you would be squatting or become a refugee in your " land of Ibadan".
Nigeria is filled with lackeys,little wonder the country is not moving forward,rather retrogressing.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by tbaba1234: 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
Just last month, my car got shot at by robbers on my way to Lagos from Edo state.... At 10 am in the morning... Nigeria is unsafe.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by BANGASOUP1: 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
Op,abeg go ask gungle
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
adconline: Naija is Devil's lab on earth. From police harassing u. Lagos area boys harrasing u.Thugs harrasing u on Ore Benin road. Bye-pass thugs, upper iweka police and thugs, Aba-PHC thugs, police. The list is endless

LMAO!!!! U MAKE IT SOUND LIKE A HAVEN 4 THUGS. grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
With the useless police force we have,Nigeria is safe indeed.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 25, 2013
Your analogy is flawed, there are Naijans in Afghanistan, some even fought in Libya, that doesn't mean those place were/are safe.....some people value money more than their life..that's why despite the growing kidnapping business of expat they keep coming.for obvious reasons, foreigners(esp white) are always treated better and they are under contract meaning they can easily negotiate their wages. You add to that the inferiority complex of African(Nigerians in this case)

I want to point out that no country is crimes free, we all know that the capital of crime in Africa is South Africa but guess what foreigners are still going there?

As for me I think Nigeria is not safe.From security forces to civilians everyone is on his own.

Ps: however I don't think naija is the most dangerous country in Africa.

Fair analysis no insults please.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 25, 2013
PHIPEX: I don't get it when some Nigerians make fast comparisms between Nigeria and America; how reasonable is it to compare a first world nation against a nation that is still ranked in the 3rd world category? A reasonable comparism should be Nigeria against the likes of Egypt, South Africa, Mexico and the likes. If you compare Nigeria to Britain and America you'll easily conclude that Nigeria is not safe but if we are reasonable enough to compare the country against her mates like India and the Arab countries then we may appreciate the country better.

America should be compared against Britain while Nigeria should be compared against South-Africa.
Whether Nigeria is compared to the US or Zimbabwe is not the issue, the crux of the matter is that Nigeria is not as safe as the article is making it out to be. If you like, compare it to Mozambique just so you can sheath the hard truth but that's just what it is.

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by nijanigga: 11:12pm On Apr 25, 2013
PHIPEX: I don't get it when some Nigerians make fast comparisms between Nigeria and America; how reasonable is it to compare a first world nation against a nation that is still ranked in the 3rd world category? A reasonable comparism should be Nigeria against the likes of Egypt, South Africa, Mexico and the likes. If you compare Nigeria to Britain and America you'll easily conclude that Nigeria is not safe but if we are reasonable enough to compare the country against her mates like India and the Arab countries then we may appreciate the country better.

I disconcord, Nigeria should be compared to South Sudan, Afghanistan,Pakistan or Bangladesh of recent we have lots more to share with the last three countries, where bombs can off anytime and houses can collapse in a jiffy..
That would be a rational comparison, than with America or Britain.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 25, 2013
fckyourman: [size=13pt]naija is safe. at least here you don't hear drive by shooting like in america. people defending america like their father country. without knowing their are immigrant they can be deported anytime when in trouble or visa.[/size]
MR. MAN WHO IS TALKING OF AMERICA ?
THE QU ESTION IS 'IS NAIJA SAFE?'4
A SIMPLE YES OR NO WOULD DO THEN U MAY GIVE US REASONS angry

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by PHIPEX(m): 11:15pm On Apr 25, 2013
ItsModella:
Whether Nigeria is compared to the US or Zimbabwe is not the issue, the crux of the matter is that Nigeria is not as safe as the article is making it out to be. If you like, compare it to Mozambique just so you can sheath the hard truth but that's just what it is.

There are reasons why "pair review mechanism" is adopted in making comparisms, you can't wake up and say since Nigeria is not as developed or as safe as America then the country is not safe. Compare a country with her pairs.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 25, 2013
How can a country which has several parts of his territory under curfew b tagged as safe?

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

There are reasons why "pair review mechanism" is adopted in making comparisms, you can't wake up and say since Nigeria is not as developed or as safe as America then the country is not safe. Compare a country with her pairs.
I didn't compare her to America. Let's even take America out of the equation, can you still say Nigeria is safe? Abeg leave matter, Nigeria is unsafe.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by soderican(m): 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2013
Laff wan tear my belle
iamswizz: its safely unsafe to say its safe but all the same. it is unsafely safe
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by PHIPEX(m): 11:20pm On Apr 25, 2013
ItsModella:
I didn't compare her to America. Let's even take America out of the equation, can you still say Nigeria is safe? Abeg leave matter, Nigeria is unsafe.

The question then should be what criteria do you use to measure safety because for someone like me in Lagos, Nigeria is safe but someone in Kano may think otherwise. How do you measure safety?
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 25, 2013
Well I have a close friend who has been to Ethiopia (poorer than Nigeria). In his judgement Ethiopia is noticeably safer.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 25, 2013
Nigeria is a war zone.

I come from Agege....where I was born and raised. My hood is full of thugs, villains, and certified killers for real.

So many guns in Lagos, you could be forgiven for thinking u were in Afghanistan.

My advice to all Nigerians is: Get Strapped Up!

Even my overspiro papa get heavy metal for crib

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

The question then should be what criteria do you use to measure safety because for someone like me in Lagos, Nigeria is safe but someone in Kano may think otherwise. How do you measure safety?

Depends on how safety is defined.

Kano is more susceptible to civil unrest.

Lagos is much, much more crime ridden.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Unsafe? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
From my travel experiences, Nigeria is very very safe. Safer than arms chair, Lagos based Journalists put on papers and online. Most of the noise-makers on Nairaland do not even know more than 2 states in Nigeria, yet they want to sound conviction based on crime rates in Lagos, and newly found fame of the Boko Haram enclaves. Its a shame that we allow these pessimistic journalists who hunt for bad news to sell papers and ruin our sovereign image.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Aliyu Tafida, Many Others Leave APC For PDP In Nasarawa / 2023: We Are Comfortable Supporting Atiku, PDP — Anambra Traditional Rulers / More Pictures & Video As Atiku & Okowa Campaign In Katsina State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.