Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,802 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

<<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> (127801 Views)

Mary Apocalypse Rise of Titans / Blessing Of The Fæ,ocelot Spleen. Rise Of The Guardians,chief Of The CH'ANG SHI / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 9:49pm On Jun 27, 2013
its ok ,nobody should tell mynd welldone again until he updates ! grin
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by MsSpaqs(f): 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2013
So ds ur update shld mk up 4 all d time we av bn refreshin ds page abi.I tink not.U'll convince me wen ur updates start bcmin regular.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
Update in 5.....4.....3.......2......1......
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:14pm On Jun 29, 2013
They looked around for little supplies they could find while the President’s aide helped her clean her body a little. Her dress had the smell of smoke all over it and her face was blackened and the aide tried to wipe it off with a napkin while the others looked at the path John had pointed out. They filed out in the patter Michael had drawn with their rifles in front of them and their fingers on the trigger.

The road was a narrow street which could only take one car. They would have taken the truck but John had seen the truck had its parts torn up by incoming bullets when the Tetuans fired at them and so they could not use it. They moved swiftly making sure they could not be seen from the troops on the other side and they disappeared into the shadows of the tall buildings.

They walked slow and cautiously as they had to watch all around them. The abandoned buildings due to years of civil war had made the place look a lot more frightening than it should be and the lack of any type of light source except the one coming from the sky did not help too. Sometimes, John and Dare would walk in front ahead of them to scout ahead to make sure they was no danger but the only form of life they saw were rats which seemed to have taken over the business district. The president saw for the first time the effect the war has had on Tetuan as even the main business hub had become something else.
Behind them, Michael almost walked with his back turned to them. Although most of them could barely see anything beyond a few meters in front of them but they could not risk putting on any form of light so as not to give themselves away. His eyes were trained behind him and sometimes, he would fall back because he went into some of the buildings to make sure they were not occupied but most of them had the same occupants.

At some point, the President’s aide said;

“Can’t we just rest a little or spend the rest of the night here and when it is dawn, we can move under the sun and we will see clearly. Anyone can be creeping in front of us without us seeing them”

Shade whispered;

“Perhaps the dark is good because no one can actually see us and we can have a chance to sneak behind and through the lines of the Tetuans. As for staying behind, the more timewe waste waiting, the greater the risk of the wrong person doing a head count of the bodies back there and realizing that the president’s body is not among the bodies burnt back there and they might just come looking for us”

Dare thought he heard something that sounded and head of them and told them to stay back while he goes to check it out. They stood and took cover behind the wall of a tall building as Dare disappeared into the darkness. Michael stood guard in the opened as he tried to keep his eyes on Dare while therest of them waited.

They stayed away from the entrance of the buildings and avoiding the windows as they did not know who might be lurking behind the windows of each building they passed sostanding against the wall seemed like the safest thing to do and the president and her aides used the opportunity to rest their legs as they both sat down while they were sandwiched between the members of the team.

Dare had been for almost five minutes and Michael was getting worried. He looked into the dark and wished the radio was working and so he walked over to where Shade was;

“What is the status on those radios? I will feela lot more comfortable if they were working and I also hate that I can’t see Dare which makes me a lot more nervous?

“The radios might not take long to fix but I can’t fix them in the night. The fault seems to come from the one I am carrying, possibly when I fell under the impact of the explosion.I should be able to fix it if I can get some light”

“Keep the lights switched off. I am not so sure about this place. When the sun rises, we can get that fixed”

Dare walked forward a little and trained his ears to the direction where he thought he heard something and he walked towards it. He looked back towards the rest of the team and he saw Michael standing about the rest of them looking tireless and he smiled. Michael had always acted like some kind of big brother to the rest of them and never showed a sign of fatigue of weakness. His posture was one he was familiar with, one which told him if anything did not check out, he was more likely to shoot first before he asked questions and he felt an ounce of doubt in himself but he had been given a taskand he could not allow fear creep in at that point.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:17pm On Jun 29, 2013
He swung the rifle to his back and pulled out his side arm and kept walking forward but cautiously. He looked back at intervals to make sure he was not been followed as that could cause trouble for all of them. he kept ducking and walking along the walls from one building to another then he stopped and gave out an almost silent whistle. The whistle was almost inaudible to the human ears but those he had called out knew what the whistle was about. He whistled again and waited along the wall as he expected a reply but still none came and he waited for a little while.

About thirty seconds later, he heard a similar call coming from a little distance away and hewalked a little into the open trying to see if hecan make out anybody. He waited and then he let out a whistle of his own into the dark and he waited there with his gun in his hand but it was lowered when a figured appeared in front of him.

He did not move, did not raise his gun, instead he let out another whistle as another figured appeared behind the first one and before long, then they became five with all of them holding what seemed like guns with them. The first one walked to him and when he was just at hearing distance, he said;

“What’s the status?”

“It did not really go according to plan. The target is still alive and the team is still intact. We lost three members but the rest are more or less alive. I managed to trash up the radio but I don’t know for how long”

“But what happened with the helicopter?”

“Your shooter got a little too excited and fired too early. She was not aboard when he shot”

“Fine. So where does that leave us and the plan now?”

“We are making our way through the dark and we have no radio but do you want to make a move in the dark or you will rather wait until dawn?

“We cannot risk the Tetuans catching up with you so what you should do is have John lead you this way and leave the rest to us”

“But make sure you leave them before hell drops or else there is nothing we can do about that”

At that, the figure walked back into the dark leaving Dare standing alone in the dark and he turned and made his way back to the team as though nothing happened but he walked faster and hoped they had not gotten suspicious of his long absence. He got back to see Michael still taking the posture he took earlier and watching.

Immediately he stepped into sight, Michael pointed his gun at him but he realized that he recognized the figured and he lowered it. Dare looked the same but to Michael, something was amiss. He did not compose himself like he has done earlier but Michael dismissed it as it he was not too convinced and they moved together into the dark with John and Dare taking the lead this time. The team was lead more by Dare since he had scouted out earlier, he would have had more feel of the environment.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Peterpan1(m): 9:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
Bloody saboteur, bt cum 2 think of it, who is dare & his guerrilla team working for. As usual well done mynd.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 10:01pm On Jun 29, 2013
Peter pan: Bloody saboteur, bt cum 2 think of it, who is dare & his guerrilla team working for. As usual well done mynd.
They work for me gringrin

and thanks for reading
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 10:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
my goodness! dare a traitor!i feel lyk usn micheals gun on him!mynd make sure u shoot dat guy in d nxt update!hmph!
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 10:29pm On Jun 29, 2013
Tovot: my goodness! dare a traitor!i feel lyk usn micheals gun on him!mynd make sure u shoot dat guy in d nxt update!hmph!
Why should I? He seems like a cool level headed guy na
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by IZUKWU(m): 10:33pm On Jun 29, 2013
Mynd_44:
You need some Jesus. But if you want some Sango, I can organise that
TGIS ,let ME go clubbing may probably get one okpeke for the night .quiet a good plot you have here mynd. Waiting to see the outcome.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2013
Mynd_44:
Why should I? He seems like a cool level headed guy na
level headed my foot! he is a snitch for goodness sake !
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 10:53pm On Jun 29, 2013
IZUKWU: TGIS ,let ME go clubbing may probably get one okpeke for the night .quiet a good plot you have here mynd. Waiting to see the outcome.
Thanks bro
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 10:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
Tovot: level headed my foot! he is a snitch for goodness sake !
He might have a good reason
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 11:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
Mynd_44:
He might have a good reason
ok am waitn 2see d reason, pls can sum1 tell me why am still awake?
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 11:21pm On Jun 29, 2013
Tovot: ok am waitn 2see d reason, pls can sum1 tell me why am still awake?
Cos your husband is not home yet?
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 11:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
Mynd_44:
Cos your husband is not home yet?
i'm getn d feeln am bout 2slap sum,n dats u,my hubby is at home,evn askd afta u,*winks*
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 11:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
Tovot: i'm getn d feeln am bout 2slap sum,n dats u,my hubby is at home,evn askd afta u,*winks*
Liar
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 11:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
lol ,that makes it two of us who r lien,
Mynd_44:
Liar
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Tovot: 12:08am On Jun 30, 2013
ok mynd goodnight,make sure u go2church,hubby blows u a holy kiss *winks*
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, i heard it b4, that mynd is behind shooting of d helicopter. And now. I know its d rebels. They definately want 2 set up d teutans so that Nigeria can attack d teutans.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by purpinkx(m): 8:08pm On Jun 30, 2013
Damex333: Yeah, i heard it b4, that mynd is behind shooting of d helicopter. And now. I know its d rebels. They definately want 2 set up d teutans so that Nigeria can attack d teutans.
seconded
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 01, 2013
purpinkx: seconded
and who will want 2 do dat? Nobody than the rebels.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Foxybone(m): 7:23am On Jul 02, 2013
Mynd... Now this is annoying... Why will you leave us like this na....

But men, I wasn't expecting that twist even though I kind of suspected it the moment Lucas was shocked since he had not ordered any attack on the President.

Who is responsible in Nigeria?

All those cabinet ministers or the vice-president? angry angry
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 7:51am On Jul 03, 2013
Good morning people
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 7:55am On Jul 03, 2013
The crisis room was quiet and there was a mood around it that made everyone shiver. The eyes of each individual burned in their sockets as they looked up to one another for explanations then a voice came over the radio;

“Abuja, we cannot confirm if the president was on board or not and we cannot send a team in to confirm as the blockade still holds firm. We are about to find a way around thembut it might take some time before we can dothat and the fact that they might have snipersin those building will make it a lot easier”

The vice President who had been quiet for a while said;

“Your Commander in Chief is out there Major, you get through and bring her back and use whatever means necessary. “

“Yes sir” the voice answered.

When the connection went out, the Vice looked towards Kuyi and asked;

“What can we do we know now and what can we do?”

Kuyi looked around the room and said;

“We can’t do much until we know what happened with that chopper. I would advice we send another one out there but I don’t know how much that will do as t might just be shot down too. Communication with the team is almost impossible as the radio is not working so we are blind and deaf but we could send men to slip behind their lines and check. I am sure Lucas will also have men run down that road too”

“What do we do now?”

“I agree with Buba right now, we hit that blockade and create a hole, it does not matteranymore right now because we are not maintaining peace anymore, Lucas told us he does not need that when he took the President, we are at it seems sir war. Maybe ifwe told Lucas that in strong terms, he will know how much trouble he might be in”

Buba cut in;

“He might know? I say we hit those guys so hard, they feel like a volcano just went up under their legs”

Then Ifeoma got the confidence to talk;

“We should go easy on the attacks guys, we really don’t know where the president is rightnow and an all out attack might just make her a casualty”

Buba said;

“How do we know she is not one already? You and kuyi’s plan has gone from bad to worse and this is the result of it all. The president is probably dead or seriously hurting now this is where we are all because of you and your silly secret plan”

Kuyi sat down without replying Buba but Ifeoma could not sit back and watch him drag her through the mud and she replied;

“Our plan? You had a part to play which was to make sure the alternate routes into the major road was watched so they won’t get surprised but you did nothing. If you had monitored it, they will all be on their way home right now and we won’t be bothered about whether or not they are alive right now so don’t put this on me general”

“Can we all just keep calm and face the real issue here?” The vice President said.

“I understand we are all tired and stressed but let’s solve this issue and then we can argue who has what fault later.”

“We should all just wait and allow time take its course, we have troops around there and let them do their jobs before we lose hope. There is still a chance the president is alive and we should hold on to that plan” Kuyi turned towards Buba and said:

“Then when all is done, we would probably be doing a complete enquiry into what exactly went wrong”

The vice president said;

“Okay let’s keep this going before the press start hassling us for information”

“So what’s the plan now?” Ifeoma said

Kuyi turned towards Buba and said;

“First we push through that barrier and see who what happened with the chopper then we send in our ground forces to those streets, we monitor the buildings and do a thorough of the whole place to make sure she is alive”

“What if she is dead?”

“Then God helps Lucas and his army”
****************************** **************************** *********************
Lucas was not assured of anything. he had found no need for his chair anymore, the heavy shelling of his house did not help issues get better as the constant vibrations and gunshot did not help his thinking and reasoning.
The men at the front had reported that they were approaching the clearing and they did so cautiously. When they got close, he had them put him on a open line so he could get the information immediately they got it. He was not about to wait for anything as the president would decide what he would do next, He walked around the office nervously and occasionally, his lieutenants call his line for some order and he just ignored them, he knew he was playing something with high scales and he had to keep his eyes on the ballor everything would go down quickly. His men at the gates said although the Nigerians were attacking them, they were still not beingcompletely serious and something told him they also did not know the fate of their president. If she was dead, they won’t be shooting guns at him, they would be bombing him aerially
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 7:59am On Jul 03, 2013
His communicator came alive as the men approached the clearing and he could hear them walk cautiously. He could hear the breath of the commandant through the radio and the cool breeze blowing against the microphone of the communicator. The static would increase and then stop signaling that the commandant was taking cover, scout andthen run to take another position he heard;

“Sir, we are almost at the clearing. We can see a chopper in flames in the distance should we approach?”

To Lucas, that was the silliest question in the world and he felt like screaming into the receiver but he knew it would do no good. Hewas their leader and whatever happened, he could not show weakness. He should maintain his strength and appear to be in charge of his emotion so they would also believe they can win.

“Yes approach”

They moved forward and he heard them walktowards it and soon the commandant said;

“There appears to be no sign of life sir”

“What do you see?”

“The men are searching the area and they can find three bodies around the helicopter, the pilot is there too and there is one body inside the helicopter while another is just beside it. I think the body beside the helicopter fell from it from his position”

“Can you see any female body? You reported that there was a woman among those who came for her at the palace counting her, the president’s aide and the president, there should be three females’ bodies. There will also be members of the team there if they areall dead”

“Sir, we can’t find any. I will have the men bring the bodies back to the palace for more examinations but it seems these are the only bodies here”

Lucas found it hard to contain his excitement,his military training had taught him never to assume or take anyone for dead until a body was found and identified. If they could not find any female bodies then where was she?, they also did not find enough bodies to conclude that all the members of the team are dead

Lucas said;

“Keep looking, she is probably alive and hiding somewhere with the remaining members of the team. Waiting for the Nigerians to come get them”

“I don’t think they are waiting sir, I think theyalready left” the commandant said as he looked ahead of him and saw a little dirty road that lead into the old central business district.

“What do you mean left? Was there another helicopter?”

“They must have gone through the business district, there is a road we did not take into consideration and except they have a truck or another means of transport, they will be going by road which will mean they will be slow and we can catch up with them. the truck they left the palace in is still here but I guess the bullets damaged it during the gun fight”

“Finally some hope” Lucas thought to himself

“Go after them, I don’t care if you have to run all morning, I want you to catch up with them and bring them back to the palace”

“Yes sir, but they could not have more that a twenty five minute head start. We will certainly catch up with them.”

The Tetuans arranged themselves into groups, some went by foot and some waited for three trucks which were brought to them as they prepared to chase after the Nigerians while some were charged with taking the remains of the dead back.

Michael did not like the odds against them but he had no choice. He was used to dark only when he was the one watching someone else not when he was running froman enemy which could emerge from anywhere. John and Dare were in front but ata reasonable distance and the seemed to know their way to wherever it was they weresupposed to pass. Before, they would move, duck and then try to figure out where to passbut now, they just walked on as though they suddenly remember the roads which to him was not consistent. There were other roads and he sometimes disappeared from behind them to go check them out and he found them to be deserted even though something told him they were not alone.

His instincts were hardly ever wrong and he could feel eyes watching him. at every turn, he felt that someone was behind him waitingpatiently but he could see no one. Inside him, he wished the sun would come up fast be thetime was just 3am and that sunlight was a long time away. The darkness also helped them in a way because if they were being watched, the person would have a hard time figuring out where they all were except they could be lead into one spot like sheep into a pent Which seemed like what John and Dare were doing in front. They looked too familiar with the roads and threw caution into the wind.

He looked towards the SSS agents who walked directly in front and behind the president and even their figures looked nervous as they turned around a lot to see their surrounding well and at their guns held firm but not John and Dare. Their guns were just hanging from their back as if they were taking a stroll through their own backyard.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 8:00am On Jul 03, 2013
Shade was not bothered about where they were going, she was only worried about the radio. The one she carried was a sort of hub for the rest and it was the one that seemed to have the fault which to her was strange. She was supposed to be with the president and her aide but they were sandwiched by the SSS agents with one in front and another behind. They acted every inch like bodyguards and so she had some time to herself. She occasionally looked around and once a while, she noticed that Michael would disappear or take a different road only to double back later and she understood why he chose to walk behind them.

She had time to work with her hands on the radio and she allowed her rifle swing down as she went to work in the dark and while walking. Her fingers knew exactly where eachbutton was by memory and she felt every inch of the radio but could not see where the fault could come from. There was a couple of scratches but nothing else was out of place until her fingers felt something strange. The space where the batteries enter had a hole, a space of some sort as though the battery compartment was opened and the lid was not put back correctly and she removed the lid completely. She felt for the battery and realized that the battery was gone.

She stopped in her tracks as she tried to remember if she had removed it but she could not. She had no reason to remove it or open the compartment so someone else musthave done that. There was no other time the person would have removed it except when the helicopter blew up and she was unconscious for some time before she was dragged out of the smoke.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by dubem3(m): 8:12am On Jul 03, 2013
Mynd no let god punidh you oh...you'd bettt not stop here.
Respect yourself.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 8:24am On Jul 03, 2013
dubem3: Mynd no let god punidh you oh...you'd bettt not stop here.
Respect yourself.
Hey wait a lil na
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 03, 2013
Hmmmm. Mynd, we no wan wait o, pls just continue.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:30am On Jul 03, 2013
Damex333: Hmmmm. Mynd, we no wan wait o, pls just continue.
Believe me you will
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by dubem3(m): 10:39am On Jul 03, 2013
If I come back here again to meet update, am blowing up this thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.