Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,126 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

<<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> (127793 Views)

Mary Apocalypse Rise of Titans / Blessing Of The Fæ,ocelot Spleen. Rise Of The Guardians,chief Of The CH'ANG SHI / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
Due to popular demand, I made a snippet..

Enjoy
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 2:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
Chapter Six
Friends and Foes

Shade was shocked and almost immediately, the shocked turned into fear. She staggered at the thought that someone among them might have deliberately removed the battery so they could not communicate with the base which meant they could be walking into a trap. Her mind first went to Michael but he looked too concerned and something told her it was not him. his body language showed he was aware of a danger but not sure plus if he did not completely check out, he would not be made leader.

She looked back and saw that he was gone again. He looked around trying to see if she can catch a glimpse of him but he seemed to have disappeared into the night. She had some spare batteries in her backpack and her hand went to feel where she kept them and she saw that they were still there. She thought of outing one in but she stopped. If she activated hers then every other one will work so she just waited and almost immediately, Michael appeared beside her and whispered;

“What’s wrong” he said

“What makes you think there is anything wrong sir?”

“Your body language changed and you have been looking around a lot, you feel something is happening I should know about?”

“No, I was just looking around”

“Okay, Shade, but see what you can do about communications, this place is beginning to irk me”

“Yes sir”

Shade saw that Michael’s pace dropped a little so she could walk in front of him when she said;

“Actually, I think I know what’s wrong with the radio”

“Can you fix it?”

“It was not damaged in the first place”

“So what’s wrong with it?”

“Someone removed the battery from mine which knocked every other one out”

Michael did not stop moving or express any surprise as he simply walked up beside her and said;

“Tell me you have spares”

“I do, but I don’t want to put one in because whoever did it would know it is working. I would rather we find who removed the battery first and seeing as you did not show any sign of surprise, you must know there is a traitor among us and probably know the person"

“I don’t know the person, I just have strong suspicions and I also know we are being followed”

“So who is your candidate?”

“More like candidates”

“More than one? Those SSS boys don’t look the type but what do I know?”

“It’s not them, it’s John and Dare, and I think they want to lead us into a trap”

“So what do we do?”

“For now, we play along. I suggest we don’t let the SSS boys know, we don’t want anyone panicking and we certainly don’t want the president to find out about this”
Shade thought for a little as she reached for her rifle and check to make sure the magazine was in and she said;

“So you think following them into this trap of theirs is a good idea?”

“We don’t have a lot of options right now. I suspect we are already being followed and any move we make might alert them. We should follow for the time being and until we can figure out a way to get out of here. We should slow down a little and see if they will notice. If they don’t, we can slip and find a way to get away from them”

Shade looked towards John and Dare as they walked on in front without bothering to look back to those they are leading on

“What if we are all dead before we get the chance?”

“What makes you think they want us dead? Ifthey did, they just wanted her back? if they wanted us dead, they would have done that already”

They were still in their conversation when they noticed that John and Dare slowed down ahead as the team walked towards a huge building which had a large space in front of it. and they stopped walking totally.

The company of Izu, IBK, the president and her aide joined her later as Michael and Shadejoined them later and Michael asked;

“Why are we stopping?”

Neither John nor Dare answered but a voice came from the dark,

“Because ladies and gentlemen, you are at the end of the road and I am in charge now”

Shade raised he rifle and IBK did the same immediately while Izu moved to cover the president and Michael just stood and watched it play out as John and Dare pulled away from them.

From all corners, men appeared with guns drawn towards them and they moved until they surrounded the team completely.

“Why don’t you all put down your guns so we can make this expedient?”

Michael who had been studying the events said;

“Why don’t you tell us who you are and what you want before we talk about putting anything down because personally, I won’t mind putting you down first”

Almost immediately, a pair of lights was switched on and it was aimed towards the team and they were able to see those who surrounded them clearly.

“Well I thought the lights were necessary since we won’t want anyone wandering off and since you are so concerned with who we are, let me introduce myself”

He walked towards the group a little and said;

“I am Major Ahmed Toriade, Nigerian special forces”
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by dubem3(m): 4:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
Thats better
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Neduzze5(m): 4:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
This sounds like a ploy to me... More like a coup d'etat or am I the only one thinking so??
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
Neduzze5: This sounds like a ploy to me... More like a coup d'etat or am I the only one thinking so??
I think so

1 Like

Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
Hmmmmm. D action eyaf start.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by oyestephen(m): 7:03pm On Jul 03, 2013
Damex333: Hmmmmm. D action eyaf start.
ghen ghen ghen gheeen
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 7:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
Damex333: Hmmmmm. D action eyaf start.
What action?
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Peterpan1(m): 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2013
Pls mynd in d spirit of followership, and in the hall of Nairaland pls don't stop here. In other words- pls update. Weldone.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
Peter pan: Pls mynd in d spirit of followership, and in the hall of Nairaland pls don't stop here. In other words- pls update. Weldone.
Story don end na.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Queenxstar(f): 9:31am On Jul 04, 2013
Sweetie u're good. I'm nt into thrillers bt I got hooked. As a writer myself, I admire ur work, u're talented indeed!
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 10:05am On Jul 04, 2013
Queen xstar: Sweetie u're good. I'm nt into thrillers bt I got hooked. As a writer myself, I admire ur work, u're talented indeed!
Thank you so much ma'am
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by baffylander(m): 6:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
Bros, we gree say u dey try but seriously you need to finish this...if not, werrin happen when i read 'the crocodile who loved stories' go happen ooo...#takesasipwhilewaitingformyndtoupdate#
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 04, 2013
nice story, I like your ideas and the theme you went for, well written too
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 11:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
ibkaye: nice story, I like your ideas and the theme you went for, well written too
Thank you
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by MissFibre(f): 6:02am On Jul 05, 2013
Wetin end?

Mynd, you are good... I am so into this story that the action plays right before my eyes. Eh... I am taking the character of Shade. Don't kill her pleeeaaassee!!!
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 6:04am On Jul 05, 2013
Queen xstar: Sweetie u're good. I'm nt into thrillers bt I got hooked. As a writer myself, I admire ur work, u're talented indeed!
Thank you so much
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 6:05am On Jul 05, 2013
Miss_Fibre: Wetin end?

Mynd, you are good... I am so into this story that the action plays right before my eyes. Eh... I am taking the character of Shade. Don't kill her pleeeaaassee!!!
Well good choice.....and thanks again
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by texanomaly(f): 2:37pm On Jul 05, 2013
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you on this story. I am still reading, but have not caught up to you yet. I am still enjoying the read. I hope to catch up soon. I have some comments, but would prefer to to say them privately. Would you mind, Mynd? LOL Sorry couldn't resist that one.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
You know where to reach me
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by FoxyRebirth(m): 3:36pm On Jul 05, 2013
Mynd_44: You know where to reach me

This Canadian girl don catch you ba...

Na you go come gist us the koko later
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by texanomaly(f): 4:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
Mynd_44: You know where to reach me
I figured I could send a PM, but I didn't want to presume.
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by MissFibre(f): 6:19pm On Jul 05, 2013
texanomaly:
I figured I could send a PM, but I didn't want to presume.

You can always PM him but then I want to ask, are we fighting? You started ignoring me after that little brawl in Flow's thread.

Hey, I meant no harm there, friends??
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by texanomaly(f): 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2013
Miss_Fibre:

You can always PM him but then I want to ask, are we fighting? You started ignoring me after that little brawl in Flow's thread.

Hey, I meant no harm there, friends??

I'm not ignoring you. I mentioned you in my diary. Certainly we are friends. Have you hailed me and I have not responded? I did not see it if you did. grin grin grin
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2013
Had this update since Friday. Too lazy to upload though sorry
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2013
The president’s aide walked from behind the team and said;

“Nigerian special forces? That’s great, what took you guys so long?”

The president pulled her back;

“I don’t think they are here to save us”

Michael said;

“At least I know who to thank for the death of three of the members of my team when you blew up our rescue helicopter”

The major looked at them with a smile on his face as Izu, IBK and Shade had their rifles pointed at them and he said;

“You should put down your weapons. There is really no point trying to fight this out as you are out manned and out gunned.”

“You must have missed a part of the mission Major, we are to safe guard the president with our lives” Izu said.

“Agent Izu, what do you really know about protecting the president, you are just a step about the police and I don’t think I have to remind you that you are in over your head” the major said

“But that does not mean we will go down without a fight” Shade said

“If you want her, you going to have to go through us” Shade continued

“And I am wondering what makes you think we want to hurt the president? We might be here for the same reason you are here you know”

Michael raised his eyebrows in mock surprise,looked towards Dare and John and said;

“So why do I find myself backed up against somewhere and feel like I am trapped like a monkey behind bars?”

“Well it is not really my fault Michael, I am just carrying orders” Dare said as he and john walked away from their side and joined the team which surrounded them and they saluted the major as they walked back towards the trucks

“I had a mole in your team Michael and you were too blind to see it, now what kind of rescue team does that make this? You guys are a failure”

The president who had been behind Izu and IBK all this while walked through from behindthem and said;

“What is your purpose here Major? You are under oath to the president and Commander in Chief of the Armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and I demand to know what is happening here”

The Major said nothing. He just stood just a little distance in front of his team who had their guns pointed at the team and the lights were also pointed at the team too which made it look like they were on a stage and the soldiers were their audience and Michael could feel the end draw close.

His eyes was on the Major as he thought of what he would do if he could wrap his hands around Dare and john and he almost wanted to smile at the thought when his eyes caught something around the corner. It looked like little touch lights and they seemed to move breaking the darkness in the distance and he thought within himself;

“Now what?”

The set of lights were soon joined by anotherpair of lights and then another joined them which made Michael sure that the Tetuans had caught up with them and in his head; he hoped they were not on the side of the force which has had them trapped. So he asked;

“You heard the lady major, who are you working for? and don’t tell me you would rather work for that bird brained Lucas Radonsolema”

The major looked surprised;

“The Tetuans? You think I would allow that idiot boss me around like I am his pet monkey when I could be making better use of myself in the paid employment of someoneelse who would both pay and treat me better?”

“That’s surprising” Michael thought to himself happily

“So what plans do you have for us Major?”

“First of all, put down your weapons and we will talk about what I want to do with you. You all know you cannot get into a gun battle with us and win so please put those guns down”

IBK who had been quiet all through said;

“Why should we put our guns down? You might just decide to kill us all”

“Well actually, we intend to kill you all but it will be a lot more easy to do so while your guns are down”

Michael looked to the direction he had seen the lights earlier and did not see the lights again. He tried to imagine the distance they might have gone through but he did not see anything in the distance as it seemed those who had out the lights on had disappeared into the darkness and he felt a sense of failure and disappointment wash over him.
He had his rifle just hanging over his shoulder and his hands went behind him andhe pulled the gun into his hands as he said;

“Protect the president”
IBK, Izu, and Shade formed a makeshift circle around the president and her aide as they pointed their guns at the men surrounding them and they heard Michael say;

“Steady men. If we are to end this here, we will go down fighting”
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2013
Izu could hear the whole thing happen but he could not believe it. The helicopter explosion had shaken him but him kneeling down with his rifle pointed at people who outnumber his team by almost three to one was not something he had envisaged. The major had said he was from the Nigerian special forces and his accent proved him right and even the team leader had no doubt about it.

The Major turned started to walk backwards towards his team and he said;

“My mission is simple madam president; you must not return home alive and there should not be any witness so I guess that explains the blowing up of your helicopter and this little ambush”

“Steady” Michael said as he expected some miracle to happen or else he would be done for

The Major put his right hand in his and brought out a small phone. He dialed and spoke into the receiver;

“We have them right here sir should we go ahead with it?”

He paused for some seconds as Shade whispered to Michael;

“What exactly are we waiting for sir?”

“Something I saw in the distance and should be here any time now”

“That sign better come soon because the moment this arsehole gets off the phone, we are done for”

IBK who had listened to their conversation but silently said;

“Whatever the sign is, I hope it is that red spot on this Major guy's chest”

Shade said;

“What red spot?”

“Why don’t you look towards where is heart is supposed to be”

Shade looked and saw a faint red glow on the Major’s chest as he spoke on the phone with someone and Shade said;

“Michael, do we know anything about that light?”

Michael who for the first time that night was surprised said;

“I have nothing to do with that and that is not the miracle I was hoping for”

He continued;

“IBK, how much of a shot are you?”

“I am pretty good what are you hoping for?”

“This might sound suicidal but if we don’t do this now, we might all end up dead so what I want us to do is simple, when I give the signal, Shade and Izu make for those huge glass doors behind us and take the president with you. We will hold them off right here.”

“That’s suicide. You will be killed immediately we make for those doors and have you even thought the doors might be locked?” Izu said

“The doors might be locked but they are not bulletproof so I expect you to get inside by all means. You should get through and let’s hope whoever has that red light is a friendly to us. IBK, at my signal, take out those lights. We have a better chance of survival in the dark. You take the one on the left and I will aim at the one on the right.”

He paused a bit and said;

“Is everyone ready?”
Shade said;

“How come we did not factor in the aide?”

Michael said almost absent mindedly;

“We already have our subject and if she can follow you fast enough, good for her, if not, she is on her own”
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by MsSpaqs(f): 10:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
Hmm.......Nyc.A few typos tho
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Neduzze5(m): 6:54am On Jul 08, 2013
Phew! This is real action film. You got me scared here. I just hope Izu doesn't go down!

Nice work man!
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 7:51am On Jul 08, 2013
Neduzze5: Phew! This is real action film. You got me scared here. I just hope Izu doesn't go down!

Nice work man!
I hope he does
Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by FoxyRebirth(m): 8:26am On Jul 08, 2013
Mynd... Why do you keep doing this to us na... If it is me now, I will understand oo

1 Like

Re: <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> by Mynd44: 8:30am On Jul 08, 2013
Foxy_Rebirth: Mynd... Why do you keep doing this to us na... If it is me now, I will understand oo
I will update before noon

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.