Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,995 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Help Me Re- Invent My Style - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Help Me Re- Invent My Style (15665 Views)

I Get My Style From My Sons – David Beckham / Sony To Invent WIGS With Built-in Computers And Wireless Internet / Canadians Invent Hands Free Toothbrush To Be Worn On Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by manny4life(m): 4:36pm On May 08, 2013
Haha, Afam you really do need help

Here is my advice

1. Body cream/lotion -- Use anything with Cocoa, shea butter, and Vitamin E, this are good for men.I alternate between weather period. During winter I use Vaseline for men, and during Spring to Fall, I alternate between Suave, Nivea and Palmer. For perfume, I guess u mean deodorant and cologne, I actually use Degree Anti perspirant deodorant and Axe deodorant spray. Any cologne will work for you...

2. A clean low haircut will suffice. For me during summer, due to heat in summer, I go pretty much with a "bald haircut" for fresh air but neat, during winter, a low cut but let them trim the sides though, and give u a cut on it.

3. For wears, I'd recommend you stick with fitted clothing. For me o, that's my thing. If V-necks work for you, wear V-necks with a nice blazer and fitted slacks. I don't do necklace unless if necessary (which is rare), although good watches works well. A nice silver bracelet often works.

4. Don't forget to shave - this is very important. A clean shave can remove several numbers from your age. Also, you can add some nice sunglasses to your kit. As for shoes, if you're looking for a casual look, go for nice boat shoes, if u looking for a professional look, I'd recommend lace-ups, however for a more contemporary looks, flat toe pointed slip-ons works very well. If you're looking for a more athletic, casual style, go for the sneakers/boots, et al... Not a fan of those, I wear more shoes than these unless if I'm running/working out.

My own 2cents
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Indifferent(m): 4:37pm On May 08, 2013
Just buy 2 carrot jeans, 2 "ama kip kip" polo. 1 "my money grow like grass polo",
go to barber and request him to barb u mohuck. I.e gallas hair cut.
Buy beat by dre headphone just wear it on ur neck.
There is this loong chaplet with big beeds, buy one.
Buy any smart collection spray or axe.
Dont 4get a suede shoe.
Then u ar good 2 go
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 08, 2013
Buy fashion mag, watch fashion tvs, take a close look at a celebrity, and finally your geek internet.

If you're larger, get a personal fashion designer.

Goodluck.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by adexsimply(m): 4:39pm On May 08, 2013
yuzedo: bro, u can wear raffia mat on ur body. d maker name is otimba from analulu kindom.
for shoe, u can wear ghanzou superted shoe. pink & lemon grin. grate wit d ladys. wink
face carp is jaasco-boy. turn it bark, das d yaw-yaw stile from american.
peffume? grate solution. soak millet inside cold water, live it in earthenware port for 7day and pore it in side coke bottle. sellibrity use dis fragrans. is called, nze n'ozo bingo holy water intanational peff.

Bro, u get punny sooooo much, u gonna say waow! yuzedo is d best, i need to bring live fowl and big goat to his house in Banana Island. tenks, dont mention. cool wink
Yuzedo...one day you go use laughter kill me

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by bigfrancis21: 4:41pm On May 08, 2013
sleekcm: @Afam4ever, men don't use body cream or wear necklaces, unless you are woman in a man's body.

As for the rest of your post, if you are quite loaded, hit any top shopping mall/supermarket and shop till you drop.

If you are really a computer geek what to buy/style shouldn't be a problem. You've got the internet mate!

And who says men don't use body creams? angry Unless you want his skin to be toughened and hardened from its direct exposure to sunlight and lack of proper skin care.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by sleekcm(m): 4:41pm On May 08, 2013
@bigfrancis21, you got style mate, enough said.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by sleekcm(m): 4:44pm On May 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

And who says men don't use body creams? angry Unless you want his skin to be toughened and hardened from its direct exposure to sunlight and lack of proper skin care.

Very few do. It's not compulsory. Can't imagine getting rubbed down and stepping out under our blazing sun only to be sweating like the ladies. Surely no man wants that.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by ichommy(m): 4:47pm On May 08, 2013
patwhizkid: cheesy cheesy
yappi You don come back, how evil forest?
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Costa2000(m): 4:47pm On May 08, 2013
Afam so you want to stop wearing that your nwafor 7colours?.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by kkkp: 4:48pm On May 08, 2013
grin grin grin ;DAaaaaaaaaaaafffffffaaaaaaaaammmmmmuuuuuuu
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by DonaldGenes(m): 4:49pm On May 08, 2013
Kairoseki77: 21. Always post in proper English. The use of correct spelling, grammar and punctuation is compulsory.

Me no wan comply witchur roolz broda. I gots ma freedomz!

Be a bad boy like dis and women will be banging down your e-door to get with you.
lmao
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by normaljenny(m): 4:51pm On May 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've been wanting to do this for a long time but i've been postponing.

Basically, i'm a computer geek and if you're familiar with geeks, we're highly intelligent but not fashionable and this has made us not to be endearing to ladies. That's a perfect description of myself. To make matters worse, I'm a social recluse. I don't attend weddings, birthdays, church or any gathering for that matter and this is basicallly because I'm an introvert and as one, i really don't wear flashy or fashionable clothes. I just wear clothes because they cover me. But now i want to like re-invent myself and wear anything fashionable. The problem is that i don't even know where to start. I don't know the names of anything these days. The last time i was familiar with fashion items was in 2003/2004 when Timbaland, baggy jeans and Chinos trouser was the ish. Ever since fashion has left me behind but i want to catch up. I don't wanna look geeky anymore.

Basically i want to know what guys use and what they're called. I need items ranging from:

1) Body cream, Perfume, hair cream - I can't remember the last time cream touched my body. Lolgrin

2) Hair styles - whenever i go to my barber, he just starts barbing away because he knows that i don't do any special style. My own is just to uproat the hair on my head.

3) Wears(shirts, pants etc)

4) Wrist watches, necklaces etc

5) And any order thing.

Don't forget to tell me their names oo cos that's very important. I don't wanna embarass myself.

Thanks in advance

Afam it seems u have hammereddd some real big bucks and now hunger for somthing to burn it on. Congratulation. Spice it up with a Range Rover Sport
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 08, 2013
DO NOT forget my invitation card ooo , I shall attend your marriage.

Igbo kwenu, kwezenu
U Afam.
From mod to fashion star ezaiii danger
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by DonaldGenes(m): 4:53pm On May 08, 2013
Costa2000: Afam so you want to stop wearing that your nwafor 7colours?.
hohohoho
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 08, 2013
Keep asking
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by papaejima1: 5:00pm On May 08, 2013
Afam is Married oooo.(Hmmn beleive at ur own risk)
He is fair (not too much sha)and has round head. He also is of Mr Ibu's Height!
And yes he is a wannabe geek grin grin grin

I say so cos I know am geeker than him shocked shocked shocked

As for advise, I don't have any. My wife does all my buyings, from Shirts to boxers to creams and perfs.
So do like me, get a woman to do it for you...

I just give my wife N50k or N100k (depending on what's involved)and ask her to have a field day! shocked
Oh boy trust women, she uses 30% or less for me and the rest for herself and the kids.

Bottom line - I have never regretted it!!!.
This is a Thumbs Up to you my dear wife. kiss kiss kiss (bia Seun, wey that thumbs up icon naa?)

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by spyder880(m): 5:04pm On May 08, 2013
I have the same problem as Afam, I have never cared about how I look and what I wear for some time now. I always work in building sites and the industrial sector everyday so the cleaner your looks, the dirtier you end up after the days work (mostly under the sun/rain).

I also want to change, but dont know how to go about it. I think the first thing I need to do is to pack all my current wardrobe and give it out, then start to re-stock, maybe 4 clothes everyweek for the next 6 months.

I dont wear watches or do blings but I will like some good shirts/pants and shoes that will not prevent me from jumping around in my work sites. Lest I forget, I hardly attend any social functions, the last one I went to, I wore clothes from the site to the occasion cheesy cool lmost hating myself now.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by spyder880(m): 5:08pm On May 08, 2013
sleekcm:

Very few do. It's not compulsory. Can't imagine getting rubbed down and stepping out under our blazing sun only to be sweating like the ladies. Surely no man wants that.

Last time I used body lotion was in my teens! Makes me sweat a lot in the sun.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 08, 2013
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 08, 2013
Can u upload a pic?
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by patwhizkid(f): 5:21pm On May 08, 2013
ichommy:
yappi You don come back, how evil forest?

It's fine o
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Pergrace: 5:29pm On May 08, 2013
Bros, try put a full picture of yourself.....then we can take a look at it and make our suggestions... grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 08, 2013
Pergrace: Bros, try put a full picture of yourself.....then we can take a look at it and make our suggestions... grin grin grin

This is breaking rule #10, but for you, I'll ignore it

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On May 08, 2013
Thanks to everyone that has posted thus far.

I'm not doing it because of any girl. I just thought that i should chip that in.

I also did not hit any jackpot. How do you know if it's not katangwa that i intend doing my shopping.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by imperiouxx(m): 5:40pm On May 08, 2013
OMG! Is that Afam in that pic?! It's pointless quoting those high standard accessories then. angry

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Afam4eva(m): 5:40pm On May 08, 2013
To those that are requesting for my stats. Here it is:

Skin Color: fair(Will smith and TI's skin color)

Height: 5'11

Head Shame: Normal grin

Body frame: Slim(KInda like D'banj but not as muscular or even muscular)

1 Like

Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by delors(m): 5:43pm On May 08, 2013
See this guy....Any way, make I help my guy
Body cream - Vaseline body cream (if your skin is dark) and tura (if you want to undarken ur skin)
You need boxers short (very important for a guy), stop wearing pants; you r not a girl or gay.
start using the gym (just to get in shape o)
Depending on ur age, don't try carrot jeans for your b.a.lls' sake...use straight cut jeans or any that fits u well.
As for hair cut, u can start with 'gorimapa' to remove every atom of past failures...then subsequently, try Tyson, the moderate one.
Get nice body spray (not the N150 ones sold by Uche in his shop o)...nice manly but temperate ones.
Update your contact list, try saturday owambe outings...
and depending on how old you are, you can start practising you 'toasting' skills with SS3 students (maybe not the pretty ones)...then graduate to Jambites, then College of edu ones and from there, the sky is your limit...
..but first, I hope say you get money? Because soup wey sweet na money make am...and try to dey BRUSH YOUR TEETH...most computer geeks dont brush... grin grin
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Urine: 5:47pm On May 08, 2013
acidtalk: Afam, I totaly understand how you feel because at one point of my life I was there.

Let me give you a brief history. I grew up with both parent who were fashionisters. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s seeing my dad putting on Macks and Spencer and tommy hilfiger boxers (never new those were even designers then). My parents had always being wearing expensive perfumes and wrist as far back as I can remember.

Long story short, I was an hippy up till my university days were there were some semesters I never repeated one shirt twice. I was known first by my clean and smooth dressing before my looks. In my year 3, the urge to start making money (real money began) I started hustling big time. Even though I was still a sleek dresser, the time and money I spend on fashion reduced. I graduated and straight went for service still making money and being way above average in my fashion style.

Then I got a place, a car had more responsibilities and more commitment in life and before I knew it, I was wearing barely 25 shirts (same) month in, month out yet having over a 100 in my wardrobe. Then it dawned on me I had become more of a hustling young man as against the previous hippy dude.

I got angry one day and emptied my entire wardbrobe leaving on 320shirts, 10 pants/trousers, 10 shoes and only 3 wrist watches (me that could never stay having less than 10 pieces of wrist watches at a go).

Now I will let you know I still never play with my perfumes. I look perfs and wrist watches and those are almost the two most noticed things on a man (your smell and the class you have on your wrist).

Now, as against my previous thoughts, I will need to go back to my fashionistic days because of some upcoming events. This is what I am planning to do and will recommend same for you.

* get at least 5 very nice and appealing shoes (3 black and 2 brown) for corporate meetings. You don't have to buy them at once. And you can get ranging from N8,500 -N35,000 depend on the make and where you are shopping.

* get like 4 very nice casual shoes (trainers, sneaker...whatever they call them now) maninly to waer on casual meetings and weekends. You can get them ranging from N4,000 - N12,500. Note; get only those ones that will look mature on you. Don't get what secondary and university school boys are rocking. Don't dress immature.

* have at least 3 very nice slippers /sandals. 1 black, 1 brown and maybe another white or blue. Slippers are lovely to wear on weekends when you go to the mall, lounge, cinema or just taking a stroll. Especially when you wear them on a 3/4 trouser.

* get shirts (monimum of 20). Have them in long sleeve and short sleeve. Depending on your frame, I love long sleeves but I have found out short sleeves are always perfect on me. Your shirts don't have to be extremely expensive but make sure they are of good quality, nice texture and not of dull colour. Your complexion determines what colour will best suit you. But ensure to have lots of white, blue and grey. Avoid colours like purpple, yellow, and heavy flowery shirts.

* have at least 7 trousers (black, navy blue, brown, cream) and 4 jeans (blue, black and any off colour).

* wrist watches. Depending on your age and stature select nice and unique wrist watches. I have stopped wearing chain wrist watches and wrist watches of big head. My wrist watches are mainly leather (Black, brown and white leather strap. I love them to be chronometer as well. But very unique piece. I won't give a range on thisbecause I like mine expensive. The last set I got in Cedi mall Accra were $430 but I sure know you can get very nice piece between N15,000 -N45,000

My brother please avoid all this fake and and obvious immitation Rolex, Omega, Rado and the rest. Depending on where you go, big men always know fake wrist watches, I personally know them and I don't appreciate them on a guy.

* Have a few base ball hats (face cap) and kangol hats. They could be nice on weekends.

*have a couple of 3/4 trousers of difference colour.

* Body spray. There are a few none expensive but very good body spray from as little as N500 - N1,500

* Perfume. Never Ever wear or buy an immitation perfume. It sucks. You can get the like of Japol, Euphoria by Ck, Givenchy (50ml) and lots more from and little as N7,000. Never ever underestimate the power of wearing a good perf. People always notice you wherever you enter.

*Body Cream. I went a whole 10years without rubbing cream for a single day. But 3 months ago I was touched by the spirit and I now us vaseline alovera. I buy it from shoprite and it is only N400
. Shebi na to rub something for body after bathing.

* Haircut. Always ensure you are on low cut. You can never ever go wrong with this style. It makes you appear neat, responsible and mature at all times.
Avoid Neck chains, bangle, earings. They never make you appear responsible.

I hope this little help. I just budgeted a substantial sum to do a little shopping by next weekend because I also need to get my grove back on.

That was the only place you 'messed up', the fact that it does not work for you is not enough reason to give it that classification. All the guys in my house have neck chains...I won't boast. Other than that,you were on point.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 08, 2013
What's there to boast about neck chains?

Chaiiii
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 08, 2013
Those are some good stats! U shouldn't have any problems being fashionable.
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by bigfrancis21: 5:50pm On May 08, 2013
delors: See this guy....Any way, make I help my guy
Body cream - Vaseline body cream (if your skin is dark) and tura (if you want to undarken ur skin)
You need boxers short (very important for a guy), stop wearing pants; you r not a girl or gay.
start using the gym (just to get in shape o)
Depending on ur age, don't try carrot jeans for your b.a.lls' sake...use straight cut jeans or any that fits u well.
As for hair cut, u can start with 'gorimapa' to remove every atom of past failures...then subsequently, try Tyson, the moderate one.
Get nice body spray (not the N150 ones sold by Uche in his shop o)...nice manly but temperate ones.
Update your contact list, try saturday owambe outings...
and depending on how old you are, you can start practising you 'toasting' skills with SS3 students (maybe not the pretty ones)...then graduate to Jambites, then College of edu ones and from there, the sky is your limit...
..but first, I hope say you get money? Because soup wey sweet na money make am...and try to dey BRUSH YOUR TEETH...most computer geeks dont brush... grin grin

grin grin
PANTS means TROUSERS! That's the american term for it!! And that is the same pants he referred to in his post! Some nairalanders sef grin

On a second thought, I see nothing wrong if a man wears underpants, though they are out of fashion now, but they were once popularly worn by men and even my father still wears underpants till now. cheesy
Re: Help Me Re- Invent My Style by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Thanks to everyone that has posted thus far.

I'm not doing it because of any girl. I just thought that i should chip that in.

I also did not hit any jackpot. How do you know if it's not katangwa that i intend doing my shopping.

Stop lying, bro. - nyggahs look try to up their game subconsciously for the chics... Once you upgrade to a top-man, the top-chics are going to start queuing up... grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Black Girls With Blonde Hair = No No / All About The Au Natural! / The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.