Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,230 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? (20580 Views)

Help! My Friend Wants To Divorce Her Husband For Kissing Their Baby. / I Love My Wife. I Caught My Bestfriend bedding Her, Should I Divorce Her. / I Don't Want To Divorce Her,but Do I Have Any Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 8:34pm On May 23, 2013
lady gogo:
how do you know she has $0 dollars in her bank account?. grin she made her own money as a spice girl before she met david beckham. Posh could leave her marriage if she wanted to and not become destitute by downsizing. i also believe she makes some money from her clothing and perfume line. Her's bothers on low self esteem because she could still get quite a chunk from her divorce settlement.

SO women that are staying in their marriages are in it for the kids and greater good as opposed to the ones that left? [b]would you stay in your marriage if you were hit or cheated on by your wife for the 'greater good'?.
*side eye*

Likewise.... How do you know she has low self esteem?

I would stay for my kids as long as is possible .. when they are grown up, i could leave
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

who should i blame? who raised michael? i ask again - who did a poor job of raising michael?

myriad of reasons? what reasons?
how are you so sure the reason was domestic abuse? you are accusing me of jumping the gun and you are clearly doing that here......

he was less than 18 when the divorce was completed. maybe he was 12 when the separation took place and there must have been various tiffs before separation - in other words, michael grew in a home of strife!

of course - there are children of divorced parents that turned out exceptionally well and that was in spite of the divorce not because of the divorce. on a level playing field, kids raised in a happy marriage would turn out better than the other divide.

The key word is "happy marriage", kids from abusive homes end up with the most problems later with the boys becoming abusers themselves and the girls going on to marry abusers like their fathers. In fact in his case who knows if the problem is that he was left with the irresponsible parent? The worst thing any mother can do is staying an abusive marriage either with a chronic cheat or woman beater as she will be showing her children a horrible example. You hear of misguided girls thinking their boyfriend beating them equals to showing them love since afterall that was the love their father showed their mother. Most of the kids from divorced parents are already traumatized before their parents have the guts to finally end the bad marriage.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 8:35pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:
if i was hit and cheated on by my wife? good luck to her on that. i would concentrate on building better men/women out of my children. which is worse? a battered mrs adebolajo or an abuse-free mother of a terrorist?

Not just a terrorist bro.. a jihadic head decapitating monster of a son
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 8:38pm On May 23, 2013
i tire for coogar o. cheesy
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 23, 2013
biolabee:

I would stay for my kids as long as is possible .. when they are grown up, i could leave

Unfortunately most of the time the kids are already messed up by the time they become adults. I have an Aunty whose husband beats her and now she's noticed that her little boy who is just 5yrs old kicks and punches his sisters! What kind of husband will he become? and obviously the girls are already affected as even though they are much older than him they stay and let him hit them like they see Mummy do with Daddy. They already believe that it's a man's privilege to beat a woman!

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 8:40pm On May 23, 2013
bettymafy:

I would have loved to believe that but there has been history of abuse for the two years of their marriage. The wife kept complaining to both her family and the man's but was told to endure till her untimely death. So no, I don't believe it.

of course we know its crap but you should read the court reports

he called his SIL demonic
His father is standing up as a character witness
He said on the said day (his birthday sef or so), he made love to his wife, then she took alcohol and threatend to kil him and herself

I will find the article sef...
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 23, 2013
coogar I cannot believe you are even going there

do you even know if it was the mother that left - what if was the father who up and left her with 4 kids to start a new life in the midlands

na wah o should she end up in jail following him and stalking him outside his home all in the name of remaining a MRS

Single parenthood is not the best but in some cases (like my own) the alternative can be equally as bad or worse.

your saying this michael guy is like this cos of his mother - why don't absent and irresponsible fathers every get blamed - are they not a parent as well? or do men think they have no need in a child's life??

that titi girl that swallowed her pride and remained abeg tell me what better life is her daughter enjoying now

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 8:55pm On May 23, 2013
if i was hit and cheated on by my wife? good luck to her on that. i would concentrate on building better men/women out of my children. which is worse? a battered mrs adebolajo or an abuse-free mother of a terrorist?

a battered mrs adebolajo. Becauseshe is first and foremost a human being and not a zombie, and should therefore not be held responsible for her son's actions.

Would you concentrate on building better men/women by leaving or staying? which ones? grin
if the tables were turned,i'm sure you would rather be an abuse-free father of a terrorist than for you to remain with a cheater or abuser based on your responses on other threads.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 8:57pm On May 23, 2013
[b[b]][/b]Unfortunately most of the time the kids are already messed up by the time they become adults. I have an Aunty whose husband beats her and now she's noticed that her little boy who is just 5yrs old kicks and punches his sisters! What kind of husband will he become? and obviously the girls are already affected as even though they are much older than him they stay and let him hit them like they see Mummy do with Daddy. They already believe that it's a man's privilege to beat a woman![/b]

LOBATAN! grin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 8:59pm On May 23, 2013

I watched her biography on E channel by the way.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 9:10pm On May 23, 2013
tatiana009:

Unfortunately most of the time the kids are already messed up by the time they become adults. I have an Aunty whose husband beats her and now she's noticed that her little boy who is just 5yrs old kicks and punches his sisters! What kind of husband will he become? and obviously the girls are already affected as even though they are much older than him they stay and let him hit them like they see Mummy do with Daddy. They already believe that it's a man's privilege to beat a woman!

There are people who dont beat their wives and yet the elder beats the junior
this could be pure sibling rivalry ...
pushing on your line of thinking, in this feminine dominated world, the girl xhildren will be beating their elder brodas grin grin grin maybe this is good news for the feminists

Betty this is for you..
[size=18pt]My wife was either drunk or hypnotised – Arowolo[/size]

MAY 23, 2013 BY ENIOLA AKINKUOTU 6 COMMENTS
Akolade Arowolo, a 32-year-old man, who is standing trial for allegedly killing his banker wife, Titilayo (Omozoje) Arowolo, has told an Ikeja High Court that his wife exhibited strange behaviour on the day she died.
He said she could have been hypnotised, mentally unstable or drunk.
Akolade alleged that his wife’s stepmother, Toun Oyakhire, was not a good person and had pitted his wife against him.
Akolade, while being led in evidence by his lawyer, Olanrewaju Ajanaku, said he and his wife had sex on the day she died. He said they had agreed to stay indoors throughout the day since it was his birthday, adding that he, however, went out to withdraw some money which they would use in celebrating his birthday.

He said on returning home, an argument ensued, causing his wife to slap him.
He said, “On June 24, 2011, after we had sex, we made some commitments one of which included that she (Titilayo) would no longer be running off to her parents’ home whenever we fought and we decided that we would do everything possible to make the marriage work. We decided that we would stay indoors till evening.
“I went out around 10am to withdraw money from the bank and I bought some items. On the way, I picked up my mechanic because he needed to repair my car. On getting home, about an hour later, the security guard and the mechanic helped me to take the items to my apartment and he (mechanic) drove the car away.
“On getting home, I realised my wife was completely dressed and she said she was going out. As I pleaded with her, she started shouting, saying that Aunty Toun (Stepmother) and Aunty Labisi told her to leave the house. She was very angry and she slapped me.”

Akolade said he ran to the house of his next door neighbour and told his neighbour’s mother, Mrs. Hannah Alaka, to intervene.

He said Mrs. Alaka called Titilayo and spoke to her by the corridor leading to the staircase and convinced her not to go out.
Akolade said he and his wife returned into their apartment and he proceeded to fuel the generator when he received a phone call from his sister-in-law, Folake Oyakhire.
He said he and Folake shared the same birthday.
Akolade said, “After speaking with Folake, she asked to speak with her sister so I started looking for my wife all over the place. I called out her name but she did not answer. On getting to the entrance to our room, I slipped and almost fell. As I attempted to hand over the phone to my wife, she stabbed me in the arm with a kitchen knife.
“She stabbed me again this time on the left side of my chest. I tried to wrest the knife from her and she started screaming, ‘I will kill you and kill myself.’ In the struggle, she stabbed me in the navel.
“Later. I asked my wife why she did this and she started apologising. I then decided to get help for her but I could not find the key to the main door to the house.”

Akolade said he scattered the wardrobe, where his wife said she had kept the keys but still could not find them.
He said, “After attempting to force open the door of the house with no success, I decided to jump from the balcony and I met the security guard and mechanic there. I jumped into my car and drove towards the Aswani Police Division.
“On my way to the station, I met some traffic policemen and I explained to them that my wife needed help. They were telling me to take care of myself first since I was covered in blood. While I was still explaining to them, an oncoming vehicle knocked me over and I fell unconscious.
“When I regained consciousness, I found myself in a strange environment and was told that it was a Good Samaritan that had rescued me. I later made a telephone call to my mother. It was the person who picked up the phone that told me that my wife was dead.”

While being cross-examined by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Mrs. Olabisi Ogungbesan, Akolade told the court that his wife was alive the last time he saw her.
He said he sustained more injuries than her and even debunked the report of the pathologist, Prof. John Obafunwa, who had asserted in his testimony that Titilayo was stabbed 76 times, saying it was not possible for a human being to inflict such wounds on oneself.
Ogungbesan, who debunked Akolade’s testimony, said, “Akolade, why did you not inform the mechanic, neighbours or even your security guard that your wife was bleeding instead of going to the police station? Why did you not use your mobile phone to call for help?
“If you did not stab your wife to death; then who did? You said your wife was mentally unstable, are you a certified psychiatrist? Since it has been established that you were the last person to see her alive I put it to you that you stabbed your wife to death.”

Akolade answered that his wife had taken alcohol that morning.
He said, “If you had seen her that day, she was even more powerful than me. She overpowered me. I was not thinking clearly that day. That was why I ran straight to the police station without telling neighbours. It was possible that she stabbed herself to death but it was not 76 times.”
Justice Lateefa Okunnu, adjourned the matter till September 17, 2013, for the final address of counsel.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 9:15pm On May 23, 2013
cotton101: coogar I cannot believe you are even going there

do you even know if it was the mother that left - what if was the father who up and left her with 4 kids to start a new life in the midlands

na wah o should she end up in jail following him and stalking him outside his home all in the name of remaining a MRS

Single parenthood is not the best but in some cases (like my own) the alternative can be equally as bad or worse.

your saying this michael guy is like this cos of his mother - why don't absent and irresponsible fathers every get blamed - are they not a parent as well? or do men think they have no need in a child's life??

that titi girl that swallowed her pride and remained abeg tell me what better life is her daughter enjoying now

cotton101, absent and irresponsible fathers? the same fathers kicked out from the houses they bought and sanctioned with a 30-mile radius restraining order? it seems you dunno how animalistic some nigerian women behave here in the UK after realising how divorce laws favour them significantly!

titi's case was just stüpudity or daftness - there were no kids in the marriage so i don't know why she remained in the relationship till she got maimed!
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 9:18pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

cotton101, absent and irresponsible fathers? the same fathers kicked out from the houses they bought and sanctioned with a 30-mile radius restraining order? it seems you dunno how animalistic some nigerian women behave here in the UK after realising how divorce laws favour them significantly!

titi's case was just stüpudity or daftness - there were no kids in the marriage so i don't know why she remained in the relationship till she got maimed!

i think she had a infant daughter...
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

if i was hit and cheated on by my wife? good luck to her on that. i would concentrate on building better men/women out of my children. which is worse?

This is high hypocrisy!!!!! So you would kick her to the curb and concentrate on building better men/women out of your children as a single dad But the woman should not do the same if the situation were reversed? COuld Mr adebalojo (name) not do exactly that too? How then is his mother to blame for his terrorism?

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 9:29pm On May 23, 2013
lady gogo:
a battered mrs adebolajo. Becauseshe is first and foremost a human being and not a zombie, and should therefore not be held responsible for her son's actions.

she's responsible for the way her son turned out, i am afraid. the lad was damaged in his formative years. his friend said he was into gangs robbing other kids and doing all sorts.....the violence didnt start overnight!

Would you concentrate on building better men/women by leaving or staying? which ones? grin
if the tables were turned,i'm sure you would rather be an abuse-free father of a terrorist than for you to remain with a cheater or abuser based on your responses on other threads.

hahahaha - nigerian men stay with their cheating/abusive wives. marital abuse can be verbal or emotional as well. i am sure you didn't get the memo when a report told us 50% of nigerian firstborns are bästards! how did that come to be? were the pregnancies planted immaculately!

the women interviewed are not daft neither are they stüpid, they know they are not innocent too in the grand scheme of things. the same production crew interviewed them months ago and these same women confessed on camera they keep more than 4/5 partners at the same time - i ask, who is actually cheating who?

ileobatojo:
This is high hypocrisy!!!!! So you would kick her to the curb and concentrate on building better men/women out of your children as a single dad But the woman should not do the same if the situation were reversed? COuld Mr adebalojo (name) not do exactly that too? How then is his mother to blame for his terrorism?

where in that comment did i say i would kick her to the curb? which nigerian husband can categorically state his wife has never cheated on him? 50% nigerian firstborns are bastärds - it must be beelzebub sleeping wïth nigerian wives!
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

coogar coogar coogar - ok maybe i don't know how some nigerian women are. what i do know is that there are some men that are absent and irresponsible - why don;t those men ever get blamed or labelled.

as for Titi she had a 2 year old daughter

maybe i'm being naive but unless the man is a threat to a woman why would there be any need for a restraining order - na wah o!! u think getting that kind of order is like shopping in bluewater on a bank holiday

coogar - why are u so hard on single mothers

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by HARDDON: 9:37pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji: These women are typical of majority of Nigerian women.

Our Nairaland feminist warriors have a long way to go. I dare say some of them take the things they claim they will never accept online within the confines of their homes.

e-life is always smoother than the real one.

if only all nl female's marraige/rships where as near perfect as they claim, life wud hv bin better.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 9:37pm On May 23, 2013
[b][/b]she's responsible for the way her son turned out, i am afraid. the lad was damaged in his formative years. his friend said he was into gangs robbing other kids and doing all sorts.....the violence didnt start overnight!

Why should she be solely responsible? Was she the only one in the marriage? If you want to play the blame game then you might as well blame both parents.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 9:41pm On May 23, 2013
cotton101:
coogar coogar coogar - ok maybe i don't know how some nigerian women are. what i do know is that there are some men that are absent and irresponsible - why don;t those men ever get blamed or labelled.

the men are absent because the wives are determined to punish them. after having them kicked out of the house, they get the cops to slap a restraining order on them. the only contact the men have is her account details where he must wire the kid's child support!

as for Titi she had a 2 year old daughter

i never knew.....

maybe i'm being naive but unless the man is a threat to a woman why would there be any need for a restraining order - na wah o!! u think getting that kind of order is like shopping in bluewater on a bank holiday

how long does it take a woman to get a restraining order, are you shïtting me? she got him out of the house before she lied he was abusive. a normal shouting match between husband and wife won't be recorded as a verbal abuse - the verbal part would be crossed out and the only thing you would see is abuse

coogar - why are u so hard on single mothers

i am not hard on single mothers - far from it. i know there are barbaric and useless husbands out there but far majority of the nigerian divorces in the UK are out of greed by the nigerian wives!
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

the men are absent because the wives are determined to punish them. after having them kicked out of the house, they get the cops to slap a restraining order on them. the only contact the men have is her account details where he must wire the kid's child support!

i never knew.....

how long does it take a woman to get a restraining order, are you shïtting me? she got him out of the house before she lied he was abusive. a normal shouting match between husband and wife won't be recorded as a verbal abuse - the verbal part would be crossed out and the only thing you would see is abuse

i am not hard on single mothers - far from it. i know there are barbaric and useless husbands out there but far majority of the nigerian divorces in the UK are out of greed by the nigerian wives!

chei women dont suffer for coogar's hand - chei so this is how u will see me from afar somewhere here in the Uk and say na me cause my own. coogar just as you know about these harsh cases just know that some nigerian women do not behave like this.

i'm not sh/itting you Mr coogar - honestly is a restraining order hard to get.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 9:53pm On May 23, 2013
hahahaha - nigerian men stay with their cheating/abusive wives. marital abuse can be verbal or emotional as well. i am sure you didn't get the memo when a report told us 50% of nigerian firstborns are bästards! how did that come to be? were the pregnancies planted immaculately!

the women interviewed are not daft neither are they stüpid, they know they are not innocent too in the grand scheme of things. the same production crew interviewed them months ago and these same women confessed on camera they keep more than 4/5 partners at the same time - i ask, who is actually cheating who?

we are talking about you here and not nigerian men. and yes i know you can be abused emotionally, which is even the worst form of abuse.

no i didnt get that memo and i dont think the men would have known if they were no reports. Do you think those men would have stayed if they knew all along? The naija men that I know. Well, its left to the nigerian men to take their firstborns for DNA tests and then decide what to do with their wives afterwards, if the results are negative.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

where in that comment did i say i would kick her to the curb? which nigerian husband can categorically state his wife has never cheated on him? 50% nigerian firstborns are bastärds - it must be beelzebub sleeping wïth nigerian wives!

Where does this statistic come from by the way? Any credible source?

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by trolling(m): 10:20pm On May 23, 2013
Isaiah 4: "And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying,
“We will eat our own food and wear our own apparel(finacially independent);
Only let us be called by your name, to take our reproach"
The question is why would these "so-called independent" women wanna take the name of this god-fearing men even though they are financially independent as quoted above, provide the answers all you "smart and intelligent women" and if your answer is to take away the reproach,the question is what is the reproach?
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 23, 2013
50calibre:

No! You fail to see the cultural differences between the west and Africa. In the west you don't pay anything to marry someone, in Nigeria you do. In the west divorce is an easy option due to the dysfunctional court system, in Nigeria divorce is a last resort. In the west a woman gets alimony, in Nigeria you most likely go empty handed.

Africa is the only place where men are given their due respect and entitlement and it should be preserved at all cost.
and by due respect you mean having a free rein to sleep with any woman who catches his fancy outside the matrimonial home,by respect you mean having the free will to hit and slap the wife around like she's some slave?(And I do rememeber you saying something about slapping me if I was close to you) dude you amuse me to no end cheesy
Any FYI,I'm not a feminist.I do love independence in a woman,not like that stupid girl in the video who won't mind being slapped around for shopping money,I love humility and gentleness too in a woman.I recognize the various roles both partners have to play to make a marriage work.I understand nature made it male and female for a divine purpose
But what I can't and will not take from any egocentric and self conceited male like you 50calibre is a situation where I do what I'm supposed to do as the wife,love and nuture my husband and kids as only a woman can.
make the home comfortable and warm with my love,effort,financial support,prayers e.t.c and this so called husband doesn't appreciate it instead goes around disrespecting and defiling our love and marital home with his sexcapades and on top of that tries to use his physical strength on me by beating me(something you'd probably enjoy doing to your wife).if that defines feminism to you,then so be it.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by MMotimo: 10:47pm On May 23, 2013
@ dayokanu

Can we agree that courtship and to some extent, the couple's background play a major role in the way abuse occurs.

I have been married a while and I have seen a lot of marriages. In every single case of abuse that I have seen, the woman has an income. The story you told is the unusual, not the norm.

P.S. English is not my first language so no big grammar o
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by dayokanu(m): 10:55pm On May 23, 2013
MMotimo: @ dayokanu

Can we agree that courtship and to some extent, the couple's background play a major role in the way abuse occurs.

I have been married a while and I have seen a lot of marriages. In every single case of abuse that I have seen, the woman has an income. The story you told is the unusual, not the norm.

P.S. English is not my first language so no big grammar o

People from various background go through abuse, Xtian, Moslems, Monogamous Polygamous, Educated, non educated etc

And Courtship only reveal so much about a person. Moreover people change. All the couples beating one another and killing one another at a point in time had wonderful courtships and even believed they were in Paradise.

The best thing IMO is to be prepared for eventualities and make it easier for you to adapt. I know Nigerians would say Pray God gives you a good man a decent man a this a that who wont do this and that.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 23, 2013
50calibre:

I am in no way commending or advocating violence against women, that's for savages. What I'm against is this whole (fairly new) mentality of women feeling they are equal to men.

To be taken seriously as a feminist, you have to act like one. True feminists dont rely on anyone, they feel offended having a man buy them things, they are not ashamed to take a man on a date and pay for it unfortunately all Nigerian women see are the rebellious aspect and fail to rise to the challenge in other aspects.

Until Nigerian women learn to be independent Financially, mentally, psychologically, men will always be gods.
in your ignorance and narrow mindedness,you have not evolved to the point where you see that women are actually superior creatures compared to men.and that is why the peace,the sanity,spirituality and divinity of the human race is solely dependent on the female species.it's apparent in mother nature herself.the way she's able to renew and replenish the earth even after massive destruction.it's apparent in everything that breathes and lives.the touch only a woman can give,the influence of mothers in everyone's life.it's even apparent in the way you lot would go to extreme lengths and do unthinkables just to get into a woman.
I'd thought you knew this little aspect of life.
I'm sorry.it's all my fault.
I must have thought you more intelligent than you actually are.smh.my apologies.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 11:03pm On May 23, 2013
ileobatojo:
Where does this statistic come from by the way? Any credible source?

http://myondostate.com/w3/paternity-testing-50-nigerian-first-born-children-belong-to-other-men-expert-2-incidences-recorded-at-dana-investigation/

cotton101:
chei women dont suffer for coogar's hand - chei so this is how u will see me from afar somewhere here in the Uk and say na me cause my own. coogar just as you know about these harsh cases just know that some nigerian women do not behave like this.

on the contrary - i am a critical thinker and i view each case individually.

i'm not sh/itting you Mr coogar - honestly is a restraining order hard to get.

contact me if you want a restraining order placed on any one. i know the 10 key words needed to get the law on your side. grin

we are talking about you here and not nigerian men. and yes i know you can be abused emotionally, which is even the worst form of abuse.

i will stay for my kids - they are more important than a philandering coyote of a wife!

no i didnt get that memo and i dont think the men would have known if they were no reports. Do you think those men would have stayed if they knew all along? The naija men that I know. Well, its left to the nigerian men to take their firstborns for DNA tests and then decide what to do with their wives afterwards, if the results are negative.

the men knew/suspected - that was why they did DNA tests on the children in the first place. na today? nigerian women have been doing this for as long as i can remember. durex's survey placed nigerian women as the biggest cheats in the world......
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 23, 2013
coogar:

http://myondostate.com/w3/paternity-testing-50-nigerian-first-born-children-belong-to-other-men-expert-2-incidences-recorded-at-dana-investigation/

According to the article...

According to a forensic geneticist, Dr. Abiodun Salami, 30 per cent of fathers are unknowingly nurturing and investing in children who are not biologically theirs.

Salami, who is also the Chief Medical Director, DNA Centre, Lagos, revealed that 50 per cent of the all paternity tests carried out in his laboratory came out negative and mostly affected were first born children.

He said, “Several surveys have shown that approximately three men in 10 are living under the deception that they are the fathers of another man’s children and with advances in genetic testing, they are more likely than ever to find out the shocking truth. Half of the paternity disputes and tests we carried out in two years showed that the fathers were not biologically related to their children especially when the dispute arose on paternity of first born children.

So where are you getting your 50 percent number from when the article you provided says 30%.

Also, where is the study itself? This article says a survey was the source. What kind of survey was it? What was the sample size? Were the randomly selected or did they go to the most promiscous, poverty stricken areas to sample from there? Was it representative of the population of the entire country? Was it peer reviewed? Abeg bring this survey itself let us peruse it so we can determine the credibility.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by MMotimo: 11:17pm On May 23, 2013
dayokanu:

People from various background go through abuse, Xtian, Moslems, Monogamous Polygamous, Educated, non educated etc

And Courtship only reveal so much about a person. Moreover people change. All the couples beating one another and killing one another at a point in time had wonderful courtships and even believed they were in Paradise.

The best thing IMO is to be prepared for eventualities and make it easier for you to adapt. I know Nigerians would say Pray God gives you a good man a decent man a this a that who wont do this and that.

Agree that people change but what are the chances that one partner will suddenly change. I know it happens but what percentage? Consider that marriage itself is a risk, you only pray that it is successful and you put in the work to make that happen. At the end of the day, I believe it is safe to say that on average, the majority of Naija marriages succeed.

When I talk about courtship, I'm relating it to knowing the kind of person you are marrying and for you both to discuss what your priorities are and how to get there. You are a couple so that you can AGREE on stuff together.

From your views, would seem like only a lazy woman stays home. I find that so odd. Do you Just say that or do you really believe there is no value to staying home to raise your kids.

Btw, some of us women, even with an income, have never worn Brazilian hair, do not have the latest phones and any owambes are once or twice a year. I say this to broaden the discussion and make it clear that it's not necessarily a case of baboon dey work, monkey dey chop.

What do you think the life of a typical stay home Mom is?

Apologies for typos
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 11:25pm On May 23, 2013
ileobatojo:
According to the article...
So where are you getting your 50 percent number from when the article you provided says 30%.

30% is the global statistic - it's 50% in nigeria

According to a forensic geneticist, Dr. Abiodun Salami, 30 per cent of fathers are unknowingly nurturing and investing in children who are not biologically theirs.

Salami, who is also the Chief Medical Director, DNA Centre, Lagos, revealed that 50 per cent of the all paternity tests carried out in his laboratory came out negative and mostly affected were first born children.

He said, “Several surveys have shown that approximately three men in 10 are living under the deception that they are the fathers of another man’s children and with advances in genetic testing, they are more likely than ever to find out the shocking truth. Half of the paternity disputes and tests we carried out in two years showed that the fathers were not biologically related to their children especially when the dispute arose on paternity of first born children.

Also, where is the study itself? This article says a survey was the source. What kind of survey was it? What was the sample size? Were the randomly selected or did they go to the most promiscous, poverty stricken areas to sample from there? Was it representative of the population of the entire country? Was it peer reviewed? Abeg bring this survey itself let us peruse it so we can determine the credibility.

this is what peeves me about people like you - must statistics cover every human being to be credible? the DNA centre in lagos claimed 1 in 2 cases failed paternity test. is 1 in 2 not 50%? what level of social class in nigeria can afford the DNA test? the poverty stricken areas? you mean a country where majority live on less than $2 per day can afford paternity test of $300 on each child?

ileoba, go to bed....everytime you eat beans, you misyarn!

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by MMotimo: 11:34pm On May 23, 2013
@ coogar, that statistic get as e be. Haba! 50%? Naija women don't have that much liver ke cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

My First Year Wedding Anniversary, To God Bethe Glory / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores / Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.