Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,341 members, 7,822,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? (20576 Views)

Help! My Friend Wants To Divorce Her Husband For Kissing Their Baby. / I Love My Wife. I Caught My Bestfriend bedding Her, Should I Divorce Her. / I Don't Want To Divorce Her,but Do I Have Any Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 23, 2013
olaezebala: a Nigerian woman can divorce her Husband only wen her husband divorce her. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lipsrsealed

Rotflmao!!!!
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by jice(m): 2:33pm On May 23, 2013
Vikin: Hehehe.....

Naija women in Nigeria don suffer!

99.999% of Men living in Nigeria are cheats!

I said men in Naija! It can be an American, chinese...

Dat my country needs serious overhauling!

Even if you don't wanna cheat, the trmptation from the ladies too much o.

ThankGod for his mercies in ma life.

If you think you are a man living in Naija and you don't cheat, sincerely....then you belong to the 0.001%,

tongue

nOT TRUE. i DON'T AND I KNOW MANY WHO DON'T,

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 2:34pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella: This is really sad, their mentality is killing me. Imagine that one saying she'll pray to God to change her husband when he's on the verge of beating her to death. They should keep allowing their husbands to disrespect them in the hopes that he'll change one day. The extent to which people have been blinded by religion is sickening.

Seriously, I give up on these women. There are some things you don't need somebody to tell you, use your head.

All you single ladies need to stop day-dreaming and face reality. It is your headiness that is preventing you from seeing the important things whilst you are single and leading you towards the men and marriages that you say you detest so much. These ones that are realistic have resigned to fate. However, those of you that claim to be "smarter and better" could end-up being deflated if you do not lay the proper foundation now that you have the chance.

The first thing a single lady should drill into her head is humility. No man no matter how accommodating, loving and caring will accept haughtiness from his wife.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by 50calibre(m): 2:34pm On May 23, 2013
stillwater:

You really don't need to have a tag to know your worth as a human being. When a man divorces his wife is he a feminist too? Cos that is what I'm getting out of your post.

No! You fail to see the cultural differences between the west and Africa. In the west you don't pay anything to marry someone, in Nigeria you do. In the west divorce is an easy option due to the dysfunctional court system, in Nigeria divorce is a last resort. In the west a woman gets alimony, in Nigeria you most likely go empty handed.

Africa is the only place where men are given their due respect and entitlement and it should be preserved at all cost.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by BABE3: 2:34pm On May 23, 2013
angry
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella: This is really sad, their mentality is killing me. Imagine that one saying she'll pray to God to change her husband when he's on the verge of beating her to death. They should keep allowing their husbands to disrespect them in the hopes that he'll change one day. The extent to which people have been blinded by religion is sickening.

Seriously, I give up on these women. There are some things you don't need somebody to tell you, use your head.

Please do not blame religion but blame self esteem. This is how many Nigerian girls are brought up, they are told as long as the man provides, then he is fine. No religion preaches staying with a husband that perpetually cheats on you and beats you to death.

On the contrary if these ladies followed the teachings of the bible before getting married, they most likely will never be in those situation because they would never have married men that have no fear of God!

6 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by AmeLonRo(m): 2:36pm On May 23, 2013
a woman can divorce her husband immediately he dies, yamutu, ku. Abi? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by TableLeg(m): 2:37pm On May 23, 2013
Nashville:
Please do not blame religion but blame self esteem. This is how many Nigerian girls are brought up, they are told as long as the man provides, then he is fine. No religion preaches staying with a husband that perpetually cheats on you and beats you to death.

On the contrary if these ladies followed the teachings of the bible before getting married, they most likely will never be in those situation because they would never have married men that have no fear of God!

I agree with you on self esteem....

I think the culture and mentality outhere is partly to blame
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 23, 2013
Stupìd video with stupìd girls. I don't understand the unnecessary vexation over the video from the women here. If you ask your moms the same question, she'll definitely give the same answer the girls are giving.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
50calibre:

No! You fail to see the cultural differences between the west and Africa. In the west you don't pay anything to marry someone, in Nigeria you do. In the west divorce is an easy option due to the dysfunctional court system, in Nigeria divorce is a last resort. In the west a women gets alimony, in Nigeria you most likely go empty handed.

Africa is the only place where men are given their due respect and entitlement and it should be preserved at all cost.

If bride price is what is making nigerian men not to treat their women right, I'm all for getting rid of the tradition. Even though i believe it wouldn't stop domestic abuse or cheating. Take India for example. India women pay dowry to the man, and are still under oppression and subjugation by their men.

Respect is earned!!!! You are not entitled to it because you have a pe.nis.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

All you single ladies need to stop day-dreaming and face reality. It is your headiness that is preventing you from seeing the important things whilst you are single and leading you towards the men and marriages that you say you detest so much. These ones that are realistic have resigned to fate. However, those of you that claim to be "smarter and better" could end-up being deflated if you do not lay the proper foundation now that you have the chance.

The first thing a single lady should drill into her head is humility. No man no matter how accommodating, loving and caring will accept haughtiness from his wife.
blah blah blah... undecided undecided

are you done with your unnecessary comment? who claimed to be smarter and better here? Nobody is even arguing the fact that humility matters and that is definitely not what this topic is about. So keep your preaching to yourself.

3 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 23, 2013
J12: Stupìd video with stupìd girls. I don't understand the unnecessary vexation over the video from the women here. If you ask your moms the same question, she'll definitely give the same answer the girls are giving.

Speak for yourself sir/ma. My mum would personally strangle these women if she got a chance.....yea cos I will get there before her

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Ok where did this come from? Who said humility is not vital in marriage?
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 23, 2013
@ Topic

Do we blame our mothers for this weird mentality? I don't think so.....as an adult you should be responsible for your own beliefs and actions

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 2:49pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella:
blah blah blah... undecided undecided

are you done with your unnecessary comment? who claimed to be smarter and better here? Nobody is even arguing the fact that humility matters and that is definitely not what this topic is about. So keep your preaching to yourself.

How humble? #LOL grin

Ladies save your feistiness for when it is totally needed. Why are you trying to run down those women interviewed? You are not in their shoes now.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:50pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

How humble? #LOL grin

Ladies save your feistiness for when it is totally needed. Why are you trying to run down those women interviewed? You are not in their shoes now.
Seriously, I can't keep going back and forth with you. I'll save my epistle for somebody more intelligent.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

How humble? #LOL grin

No we are not in Their shoes. Funny how most of them though "humble" are yet to have men put a ring on their fingers.

It's a sad world we live in isn't it?
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 23, 2013
Nashville:

I agree with you but in a way, our society has misinterpreted religious teachings to justify their flawed mentality. You hear a lot of people saying "it's in the Bible or the Bible is against it". Who told them that?
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 23, 2013
jennykadry:

Speak for yourself sir/ma. My mum would personally strangle these women if she got a chance.....yea cos I will get there before her

You should ask your mom the question. Her response might shock you
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 2:54pm On May 23, 2013
jennykadry:

Ok where did this come from? Who said humility is not vital in marriage?

The feminists club, the "I am going to match my husband fire for fire crew." "What a man can do a woman can do better" and so on league.

Those women interviewed may not be perfect but you have to acknowledge that their opinions are shaped by certain experiences. Experiences that I truly believe some young ladies who post on Nairaland will have to learn the hard way.

So before jumping-up to condemn those women, are you Nairaland feminists totally immune from the situations they are describing? I say No, you can tell me your own answer.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 2:55pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella:
Seriously, I can't keep going back and forth with you. I'll save my epistle for somebody more intelligent.

Do not mind me.
#LOL
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 2:56pm On May 23, 2013
*sigh* Not even surprised. This is the plight of most Nigerian women and the elites inclusive.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 23, 2013
J12: Stupìd video with stupìd girls. I don't understand the unnecessary vexation over the video from the women here. If you ask your moms the same question, she'll definitely give the same answer the girls are giving.
Maybe your mom would but I know for a fact that my mother wouldn't.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 2:57pm On May 23, 2013
jennykadry:

No we are not in Their shoes. Funny how most of them though "humble" are yet to have men put a ring on their fingers.

It's a sad world we live in isn't it?

How many married women in Nigeria do you think will agree to be interviewed about cheating husbands and divorce in Nigeria? Open your eyes jenny. Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil is the motto of most married women in Nigeria.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nuzo1(m): 2:57pm On May 23, 2013
50calibre:

You are one lucky dude

I took off bro.

However, I had one when I was in school. She threatened to leave me if I don't give her hot slaps and bites whenever we were making love. I was much younger then...so I had to explore. I don't need to tell you the level of internal explossion and vibration she displays anytime a very hot slap lands on her face. wink

I had to leave later tho'. It was becoming traumatic for me instead. shocked

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Slimzybaby(m): 3:00pm On May 23, 2013
Men cheat likewise women so cheating has come to stay.
In as much as alot of women are into abusive relationship doesn't change the fact that some women are still enjoying thier marriage as well...
Moreover everything must not be equal,sometimes u loose while sometimes u gain dats life for you.so every marriage must not be perfect...

5 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 23, 2013
J12:

You should ask your mom the question. Her response might shock you

Actually her response was my first reply to you.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 3:02pm On May 23, 2013
lady gogo: *sigh* Not even surprised. This is the plight of most Nigerian women and the elites inclusive.

A factual woman. I am tired of women who pretend so much on Nairaland. The best way to uplift women is to admit there is a problem and that there is no set of wonder-women anywhere who are immune. That deceptive marketing of super independent "wonder-women" is leading to younger ladies entering miserable marriages faster than I can type- "Jack Robinson". The are so sure of their "special" status before marriage but when they enter they receive the shock of their lives!

I am only reacting to the reactions of some women here to the video.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by damilolaluv(f): 3:10pm On May 23, 2013

This is so true my dear. But the problem is lack of education and self confidence. A lot of women who are uneducated and rely sorely on a man for bread are the ones who will more likely than not endure whatever behavior the guy does. It"s really sad because some are brought up to believe it"s ok for a man to beat or cheat(perhaps their mothers went through same thing)and that all men are the same. Unfortunately these days there are very few quality good men left. I would rather remain single for the rest of my life then deal with any of that rubbish.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by oluking: 3:13pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella:
Maybe your mom would but I know for a fact that my mother wouldn't.

Sista you might not admit it but your perception is not objective,if you are less biased you will accept the fact on ground.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by damilolaluv(f): 3:21pm On May 23, 2013
stillwater:

If bride price is what is making nigerian men not to treat their women right, I'm all for getting rid of the tradition. Even though i believe it wouldn't stop domestic abuse or cheating. Take India for example. India women pay dowry to the man, and are still under oppression and subjugation by their men.

Respect is earned!!!! You are not entitled to it because you have a pe.nis.

you have said it all. It seems that the whole bride price thing is what is making certain men feel like masters. But truth is, even those who do not paY bride price or if it was eliminated will still act like dogs.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 23, 2013
oluking:

Sista you might not admit it but your perception is not objective,if you are less biased you will accept the fact on ground.
I know the fact on ground but I'll not accept it. The fact that it is a common occurence does not make it acceptable. Nobody should have his/her life threatened constantly because he/she is in a marriage.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How To Avoid Family Disputes When One Dies / Set Of Triplets Delivered In Bayelsa On New Year's Day (photos) / My First Year Wedding Anniversary, To God Bethe Glory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.