Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,928 members, 7,810,579 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

A Story: Broken Vows - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Story: Broken Vows (96171 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Joy4mi(f): 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2013
GLOW where ar u?

we made it to front page . heeeeeyyyyyyy.
u deserve it.congrats evryone (oyestephen,mum z)evrybody

**dancing with the moon walk steps**

now i feel fulfilled smiley

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by teeluv(m): 2:46pm On Jun 13, 2013
Now i can sleep well at night.. knowing my sister made it to the front page.

glow girl.. you rock.. proud of ya
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Stormisova(m): 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2013
OMG........i couldn't beliv tears could roll dwn my chick 4 jst readin a story...bt beliv me my pillow is already socked wit tears......Glow dear u 2 much...u deserve an award 4 dis......keep it up nd i pray God wil c u tru.....more greese 2 ur elbow
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Stormisova(m): 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2013
c wetin Glow don cos....my guy don dey kolo

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Emeralddan(f): 3:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
Yay!! Glow frontpage things....am xo xo proud of u sweerie

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by missvirgorick(f): 3:29pm On Jun 13, 2013
At last!
Your piece deserves front page.....
Keep on GLOWing!

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by jpphilips(m): 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2013
Not again
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by felai: 4:56pm On Jun 13, 2013
following. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Bantino(m): 5:25pm On Jun 13, 2013
Glow, you are now on Front page. Congrats!!!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:32pm On Jun 13, 2013
Bantino: Glow, you are now on Front page. Congrats!!!
thanks bantino!!! muah!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:33pm On Jun 13, 2013
Emerald dan: Yay!! Glow frontpage things....am xo xo proud of u sweerie
couldnt have done it without you guys!!!
im proud of you too darling kiss
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:35pm On Jun 13, 2013
missvirgorick: At last!
Your piece deserves front page.....
Keep on GLOWing!
By God's grace i will!!!
ose love!!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:35pm On Jun 13, 2013
teeluv: Now i can sleep well at night.. knowing my sister made it to the front page.

glow girl.. you rock.. proud of ya
thank you sooo much brother mine kiss kiss
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:36pm On Jun 13, 2013
Stormisova: c wetin Glow don cos....my guy don dey kolo

LMAO!!!!!!hahahahaha...joooooor ooooooooo stormisova!!! ma koba mi ooo...hehehe
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:38pm On Jun 13, 2013
Stormisova: OMG........i couldn't beliv tears could roll dwn my chick 4 jst readin a story...bt beliv me my pillow is already socked wit tears......Glow dear u 2 much...u deserve an award 4 dis......keep it up nd i pray God wil c u tru.....more greese 2 ur elbow
amen ooo!!! ese oooo....im grateful to God for you guys! grin grin
awon friendshp mi ni NL, i hail uu
Stormy, oya dont cry again...u hear..and thank you soooooooooo much!! kiss
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:39pm On Jun 13, 2013
Joy4mi: GLOW where ar u?

we made it to front page . heeeeeyyyyyyy.
u deserve it.congrats evryone (oyestephen,mum z)evrybody

**dancing with the moon walk steps**

now i feel fulfilled smiley
Joy dearie!!!! ur name shd be joy for life!!! seriously!!! you're a wonder woman and though we've never met, i know you're a wonderful person!!
thanks for sticking through!!!
ose ore mi kiss
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:41pm On Jun 13, 2013
Eneze1: yeayyyyyy we made front page at last. *dancing galala* congrats glow
hahahaha...hi5ves u!!! and joins u in dancing galala****hehe
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2013
oyestephen: Yes we did it...front pageeeeeee
yelzzz ooo stephen cool cool we did!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by darlynlara(f): 7:00pm On Jun 13, 2013
ah sisi glow am realy hapy 4 u o i wuld eat an xtra meat 2day 2 hlp u celebrate aunty joy,oyestephen,storm,sisi glow oya bring ur plate oh dis peper soup wuld nt eat itslf o!

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by MsSpaqs(f): 7:03pm On Jun 13, 2013
Congrats on makin Fp Glow

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
darlynlara: ah sisi glow am realy hapy 4 u o i wuld eat an xtra meat 2day 2 hlp u celebrate aunty joy,oyestephen,storm,sisi glow oya bring ur plate oh dis peper soup wuld nt eat itslf o!

Hahahahahaha..LMAO!!!!darlynlara
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
Ms Spaqs: Congrats on makin Fp Glow
tanxxx spaqs
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:22pm On Jun 13, 2013

‘it’s a beautiful song.’ Maria commented to Susan and the girl nodded in reply. She knew she was meant to have joined them in rendering the song if she had attended choir practice but she had taken a compulsory leave giving some odd excuses about why she wasn’t going to join them in singing. She avoided their imaginary stares and allowed her mind to think on other things. The way people stared at her made her feel they knew what she had done and she wished she could run out and lock herself somewhere.

The pastor’s voice finally brought her to the present reality and she tried hard to listen.

‘The Pharisees and scribes always looked for something to make Jesus err but they never did. They even accused him falsely but Jesus held his peace. He always gave them the right answers that they needed, Answers that were in the word of God.’ Pastor Ruby’s voice penetrated the hall and Sara found herself glued to the seat. ‘and you know the amazing part of the whole story…, they accused him of associating with sinners but you know what he told them, let’s open to the book of St. Mathew chapter 9v11.., ‘and when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, ‘why eatheth our master with publicans and sinners? And when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, ‘them that be whole do not need a physician, but they that are sick, but go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy and not sacrifice, for I am come not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.’

The Pharisees never realized they were sick and so they felt they were righteous and were observing all God’s laws, but I will tell you something today that the day you acknowledge that you’re sick and you need God, beloved, Jesus is the doctor for this kind of jobs. He came for the sinners, he came for us all and that’s why we can identify with him now. If you are sick in your spirit and you feel God is too clean and strict to forgive you, no! He is ready to forgive you, he desires mercy beloved…, mercy.., not your sacrifice, not your goody goody or any time you try to pretend you’re so ‘there’ when you’re not. He loves you…and who can condemn you when Christ doesn’t. I can’t, the bishop can’t…’ his eyes scanned his congregation and it came to settle on Susan. Susan would have choked but she held her peace but not the trembling inside. Could this message be for her? Could God be talking to her? She knew he could read minds but she thought he wasn’t interested to read hers anymore. Did he really want her back…, she had been drifting away mourning over her sins and didn’t realize it had taken complete domination over her heart. Yes! She was sick and God came for the likes of her. she had sinned and God still wanted her back if she was ready to ask for forgiveness. Tears suddenly spilled from her eyes after the pastor concluded.

‘I don’t know who this message is going to, but I know God is ministering to someone here because I didn’t prepare for this myself. God wanted me to say this to you today, and so, if we can all bow our heads and search our hearts for any trait of sickness of sin be it doubt or fear or even filthy thoughts that wage war against us every day and we allow it in unhindered, lets all come to the great physician for cure. Remember, those that are well do not need a physician but if you know how much you need him, just tell him how you feel.’

Susan went on her knees and began talking to God silently grateful for mercy extended to her. she didn’t even want to imagine how far she would have drifted away if she wasn’t sensitive to God’s word for her today. What if she never returned back to God?

Maria on the other hand was praying to God about everything and mercy for her babies within and mercy to see her through. She might not have done right in sleeping with her ex-husband but she needed his mercy over her life presently and then she remembered Joe and prayed for him too. Soon after the church service, she began thinking of how to tell him about God and what it would be like if he accepted him into his life.
‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Tiffany frowned at the new design sketched before her. She didn’t think it to be fit for her fashion designing company.

She endured the whole praise about what it would bring into fashion but she had already lost interest. She held herself from yawning and fixed back the smile that she had been using for the past five people that came for the same purpose.

‘I’ll call you.’

‘I can give you my number…’

‘My secretary has your number.’ She smiled again and watched the young man pack his folder and his materials.

Once he closed the door, she closed her eyes and sighed. For days, she had been losing her sleep and she tried to cover it up with make-up but she knew without that, she looked horrible. Her mother came to see her and complained she was looking more anorexic than thin and she tried to hide it by saying something else. She had dated several men in her life but why did Joe’s case feel any different. She had endured for weeks without him but she didn’t know how much more she could last without him. He hardly received her calls complaining he was busy but didn’t he realize that their wedding should have been two months ago?

She started to suspect that there was something more that Joe was doing and he was hiding it from her. He was alone in Niagara Falls for business as he claimed but now, she was beginning to doubt if it was all about business.

Philip wouldn’t say anything else, not even the address of where he was staying. She could pay him a visit and see how things were going. Their calls were getting shorter and each day she felt him slipping from her. She glanced at their picture on the table and could almost feel the tears burning. What if he never came back or could it be that he was still grieving Amanda’s loss? Alone?

She didn’t think twice before she dialed Joe’s office to ask for an appointment with Philip Reuther. If all she needed to do was to seduce him to get an answer from him, then so be it. She had wasted time long enough.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by switgoody(f): 7:26pm On Jun 13, 2013
Congrat dear u deserve it

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:28pm On Jun 13, 2013
‘;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

‘I think the visitors have started arriving!’ Sara announced as Denver and Bonnie entered together. She beamed at the sight of Bonnie and kissed her cheeks.

‘you didn’t even come to say hi’ she scolded and snatched her fingers playfully. ‘and you owe me the whole story about how this handsome man took your heart away after so many years.’

Denver smiled. ‘I’m glad I’m not included.’

‘oh, you will be, when you announce your wedding at the table, and believe me, Brian is going to force it out of your lips.’

‘watched the game last week, nice.’

‘would have gone but didn’t have the chance to.’

‘I bet he’ll understand.’

They pulled off their coats and handed over the packed yams they brought for thanksgiving. Soon enough, Susan was jumping on her brother and he was lifting her high.

‘you’re looking great!’ he commented

‘thank you,I just thought I should fix the hair with loads of pins.’

‘you should have worn the kimono, then I would know how Japanese you are.’

‘I’m glad you like the hair.’

‘still long?’

‘yup, still is.’

Salma and Antonio came next and then Maria was greeting her siblings. Trevor greeted them both, a little surprised. Salma looked up at him and sighed unconsciously. ‘wow.’

‘I’ve heard that a lot of times.’ He commented and she blushed having said her mind out loud.

‘oh, I’m sorry.’ She raised her hand to her head. ‘my mistake.’

‘not angry, just pleased to meet the sister of the charming damsel in my parent’s home.’

‘Salma.’

‘Trevor, nice meeting you.’

She nodded nervously as she felt his towering presence over her. it was as if he sensed her tension and so he moved back and headed to the kitchen. Antonio sat quietly, almost afraid to enter the kitchen where he suspected Susan would be.

Who knows, she might tear him to pieces this time. he felt pathetic that he was falling for someone again, only this time, she claimed to share his faith but she acted like she had a hidden tigress underneath that beautiful hair, beautiful face and cute stature.

Just remembering her animated face was enough to bring his imagination to life on paper. He wanted to draw again. He saw his sister beaming at him when she emerged from the kitchen with the turkey and he stood up to greet her. she embraced him warmly and sighed.

‘I miss you already, although I know it was just Tuesday I set eyes on you for the first time.’

‘I miss you too novia’ he kissed her on both cheeks and released her to assess her. ‘you look splendid.’

‘yeah, like a cow.’ Her voice dripped with sarcasm before she laughed. ‘but since it’s from you, what can I say.., thank you.’

‘you’re welcome’

‘the sister I have has not changed.’ Salma interrupted. ‘Won’t be surprised if you were the one who insisted on fixing the turkey.’

‘got tired of sleeping. And so, I did what I could do, fixed Susan’s hair, don’t tell her I told you so because it’s a secret between the two of us, and then, I cleaned up and decided to fix the table a little.’

At the mention of Susan’s hair, Antonio lifted up his head and saw her coming out of the kitchen still in her apron.

At that moment, he wished for something more. Like she was in his home this time, and he was helping her with the chores. Her hair was braided a little in front and the rest of the thick red mass was bundled in beautiful pins. He had never imagined her to look so ancient but yet stunning in the same way. He was staring so much he didn’t realize how long he had been staring till she lifted her gaze and caught him looking at her. immediately, he turned away and pretended to be interested in something else like the frames hanging on the wall while some were on the mantle piece.

The next time he managed to look up, she had entered back into the kitchen.

Everybody was about settling at the table when there was another knock on the door. Danny went to answer it this time.

‘hey Joe!’ he greeted casually and allowed him in before going to the table. He pulled off his coat and strolled over as
Sara stood to kiss his cheeks. Trevor shook him and the others greeted him before he finally settled beside Trevor and so opposite to Salma, Antonio, Maria and his father and Salma’s eyes were like daggers and spears raging at him across the table that he wanted to jerk from his sit and run away but he told himself not to be a coward and face whatever conversation that was going to seem challenging. He assured himself that even if Maria’s issue was to be discussed, it would be private and after the meal, not during the meal.

There was a little silence before another interruption on the door and Joe was grateful for the brief distraction.

He suspected that this was going to be the last visitor as the table was almost filled up. Sara stood to answer it this time and wasn’t too surprised to see Brian standing before her. he embraced her warmly and kissed her unconscious of the people at the table.

‘I miss you.’ His voice sounded muffled

Sara laughed and pulled him closer to whisper into his ears. ‘everybody is here.’

He sounded indifferent. ‘I’m kissing my wife after two and a half weeks, is that wrong?’

‘we’ll have the rest of the day to ourselves.’ She coaxed and led him to the table as Danny helped him with his bag upstairs. By the time he got to the table, there were so many greetings before he settled on the table. After the blessings were said, he turned to Denver and winked at him, not wanting to spill the news for him. After what seemed to be minutes, Denver finally spoke up.

‘everyone, there’s something I want you all to know.’

Joe looked up at his father curiously wondering if it had anything to do with him but when he turned to look at Bonnie and she seemed to be blushing, he raised an eyebrow.

‘Bonnie and I are getting married and I thought I should let you all know that we’ve picked a date…, this Saturday.’

‘interesting.’ Was all Joe could say as he forced a smile at the beautiful dark woman that seemed to have captured his father’s heart after all these years, The irony of it all. When his life was beginning to crumble, his father’s was just beginning to start afresh. He wondered how someone like his father could actually find a soul mate after all the women that had been seeking for his attention all these years and finally Bonnie Williams, Maria’s best friend? Who would have known he was going to be witnessing his father’s wedding.

‘wow!...Bonnie I’m so happy for you!’ Maria cried excitedly and would have stood up immediately if not for her present state. ‘I was beginning to suspect your hanging out together would lead to something more and it did.

Sweetheart…owh!...i’m so going to be present at the wedding.’

‘we’ll be glad to attend. You can do it here in Niagara before leaving. At least, that way it would be easy for us all.
We’re not going to be leaving for our town house at Michigan till Christmas eve. Then maybe we can all celebrate Christmas at Denver’s once more with his new bride.’

‘have you told Jason?’ joe asked remembering that the last time he had set eyes on his brother was about two years ago.

‘yeah.., called him yesterday and told him. he says he’ll be around for the wedding. He couldn’t be here today because of the nature of his job and the family and all.’

Sara, Salma and every other person extended their greetings to Bonnie at the table and once again, the sounds of forks on plates were the only noises heard.

‘so, Joe…’ Salma began after a while. ‘ you don’t mind me asking how you came about the baby issue with Maria…, I mean you’ve been divorced for three years now and you seem to have been moving ahead years ago.’

‘Salma…’ Antonio cautioned but she didn’t even give him a glance

Joe’s jaws clenched and he looked back into her eyes. ‘things happen and I don’t think here would be the right place to talk about that.’

‘really…, suddenly ashamed of how you’re taking advantage of my sister without her knowledge.’

‘no, I thought it would be wise.’ He said briefly. Salma gave him a smile of satisfaction like she had planted the seed and looked at her sister. ‘I have good news…’

Maria raised an eyebrow sadly. ‘really..’

‘I’ve decided to stay permanently in Chicago. A place in Aurora. I got posted there after I worked things out with my boss and he concluded that it would be better if someone else took this ‘bird’ job of flying around while I lodge in the headquarters for the time being.’ She turned to look at Joe. ‘at least, it’ll give me some time alone with my sister and I could help her refresh her memory well.’

Joe tried to look unperturbed but her words hit him real hard. He suddenly imagined Salma forbidding him to see Maria or even get a chance at the girls when they were delivered. He knew what the girl was capable of doing and she would drag him to court with the best lawyers if she wanted a case out of all this. Or worse, she could elope with her sister and the kids.

Maria on the other hand wondered why the news did not excite her like it should. After all, Salma was her sister and she could help her in the memory problem. She surmised. ‘you’re right.’

She was suddenly beginning to lose appetite halfway and she excused herself from the table and headed for her room. She knew Joe wanted to follow her but he was stopped by his father. She was glad he didn’t or she didn’t know what she would have done. Right now, she wanted to sit and think alone or rather, rest. She was feeling dizzy again and she knew it was probably due to the baby and her amnesia condition. Her head was beginning to throb and she wished it would stop. She didn’t want to say anything so as not to raise any alarm and so she had excused herself. She locked the door and went to the window and was grateful for the breeze that greeted her. The November chill was soothing and she smiled relishing the fact that this was what she actually needed. A little air and a little space.

Closing her eyes, she pictured herself in the beautiful garden of the grahams but it didn’t last long before a little intrusion of two small girls playing in the yard.

One was older and the other one younger. The younger one said something and ran but the older one caught up with her and they fell together on the lawn laughing. The younger one looked a little dull on the face but pretty with dark ebony hair trimmed to her shoulders. She wasn’t more than five while the older one looked more like a ten or eleven year old and she had the kind of hair you could place between brown and gold and her eyes sparkled with life and love for the younger one. She could be termed beautiful while the younger one was cute and pretty.

‘just one left!..., solo me queda uno!’ the younger one cried and began giggling when the older one started tickling her.

‘ilo siento!’ she begged. ‘I’m sorry’

‘say it louder and I’ll let you have the last piece of sweet.’

‘ilo siento!’ she screamed and the both of them began laughing. For a while, they lay on their backs on the lawn till the older one’s hand found her sister’s. the younger one clinged unto it.

‘I wanna become a doctor…’

‘no silly, Antonio says he wants to become a doctor. We can’t have two doctors in the house.’ The older one scolded.

‘why don’t you become a lawyer.’

‘no!..., I want to be a business woman and bring money for mama and papa and the both of us and we’ll live happily ever after.’

‘I wanna live with my husband when I grow up and live happily ever after.’ The older one said dreamily. ‘my husband is going to be a doctor and I’ll be a business administrator. I’ll be in a black suit and I’ll be discussing money with people. You can be my executive. We will work in the same office.’

‘really?’ the young one cried excitedly. ‘it’ll be so exciting for the both of us and when we’re sick, Antonio will come and check on us. And he’ll check on mommy too.’

‘yes, he’ll check on mommy.’ The older one sighed trying to hold the tears. Something was wrong but how could she bare to tell her sister the truth.

Maria opened her eyes to an empty garden and frowned. It was one of those flashbacks again. It was so tormenting to see a little of her past, sometimes once or twice in a week. Sometimes, none at all although she enjoyed the ones that were recently coming up. she yawned and lay a hand on her protruding stomach and went to the bed to relax. Soon enough, she was fast asleep
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:07pm On Jun 13, 2013
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Susan left through the back door unnoticed after clearing the plates and washing them with a little help from Bonnie and Sara. There was so much cleaning to do and so much to say and so they had done both together. Right now, all Susan wanted was fresh air and get her head organized. She wasn’t about to allow herself dream of the young man standing in front of her living room stealing glances at her or probably she had imagined it. After how she had yelled on him like a crazy woman, how could he still admire her. she wanted Bonnie and her mother to be through with their own conversation before she checked on Maria again. The last time she did, the woman had been asleep.

She began strolling in the garden looking for her favorite relaxation spot. It was all in one. It was where she spoke to God and where she meditated and where she admired nature. Sometimes, she could feel herself dancing alone for God and she could feel his eyes on her bidding her to continue just like David had been dancing in the bible when the ark of God was brought back. He let his mind free and released himself unto his creator. She shuddered whenever she remembered the barren sentence God had pronounced on Milcah for insulting David for dancing shamelessly before everyone.

And now all she wanted to do was dance for her creator. The energy was beginning to fill her and she looked heaven ward.

‘I love you, lord.’ She whispered and allowed herself breathe in the sudden breeze that almost made her float. ‘now, I feel your forgiveness and love surrounding me.’ Her hands went to the pins on her hair and she began removing them one after the other and she shook her head till her hair came pouring down like red silk threads flowing freely. She ran her fingers through the air and sighed. If only she could go back to her singing and dancing…., but was there a way she could do so without corruption seeping into her just like it had done with Jake Bruce? It was when he had been taking her the private dancing classes it had all started but she felt God was telling her to move ahead and he was going to see her through.

He would probably provide someone better for her.

She wondered how but she dared not ask but left it in God’s hands. So be it.

She looked at her flat slipper and swung around and the red mass followed. It touched the floor but she continued dancing and swinging, moving her body to the humming song in her heart. And then, not able to withhold it, she burst forth into singing and began running as she sang, laughing and dancing along. She was not going to stop till she got to the lake. That was where she was going to kneel and pray afterwards. She kept dancing and dancing till she almost lost conscious of where she was. She swung around the last time and fell into someone’s arms.

She opened her eyes slowly hoping to see an angel but gasped at who was holding her.

‘Antonio!’ she swallowed

‘you remembered my name…’

She released herself immediately. ‘what are you doing here…’ she looked around nervously and began smoothening her dress.

‘were you expecting someone else?’

‘no…, I wasn’t…, I mean yes, I thought you were someone else..’

‘an angel?’ he teased

She looked at him suspiciously. ‘yes, and you’re definitely not one.’

‘well, I’m not pretending to be one, but I guess God would be pleased after your performance this evening.’

‘you saw me?’

‘you were awesome…, and you depicted something deep with your dance. Something special between you and your maker.’

‘thank you.’ She blushed. The last time she had danced, Jake had made her look lustful and she hated herself for it. She suddenly reached for her hair and began trying to tie it but Antonio stopped her.

‘why don’t you sit down and let me help you. You seem to be making a pretty mess of the red mass.’

‘you don’t know anything about hair…’

‘I made a ponytail for my sister when she was seven and I was ten.’

Susan laughed. ‘ I suppose you were still young and innocent then.’

‘I wish each day I still was.’ He replied and before she could say further, he helped her to settle on the grass and packed the bundle.

‘heavy…’ he commented. ‘how do you keep this?’

‘it’s not important, I’ll get rid of it soon and then I can look normal.’

He laughed and continued helping her with her hair till he was done. By the time he looked at her, she was looking like a child with little freckles now conspicuous on her cheeks.

‘thank you..’ she was about standing up when he held her back and joined her before the lake.

‘we’re far from home.’ She mumbled.

‘you’re not afraid, are you?’

‘no…, I won’t be surprised if Danny comes running here looking for you or Trevor’s looking for me.’

‘nothing’s gonna happen Susan and I would never do anything to make you mistrust me.’

She looked at him for what seemed like minutes and sighed. ‘I wished I was a child again, away from worries, violence and crime.’

‘me too.’

She sighed and bit her lip. ‘about the other day, I’m sorry I yelled at you the first day we met.’

‘and I’m sorry I intruded in your privacy.’ He murmured and was about standing up when she stopped him. ‘and I’m sorry if I mistrusted you about we staying here together.’

He settled back and watched the lake. ‘you chose a nice spot for being alone, singing and dancing.’

‘I love dancing.’

‘so, are you reading something different or something pertaining to what you love doing?’

‘I’m doing two entirely different things. Mass communication in college and singing and dancing practices on my own.’

‘no instructor?’

‘no, I don’t have an instructor.’ She smiled and looked away glad she had gotten rid of the thoughts that had been
waging war in her for days.

‘so, are you going to keep singing and dancing or you’re gonna throw it all away?’

‘I don’t know…’ she turned to look at him. ‘what do you love doing?’

‘em…, let’s see, I love drawing.’

‘really! What do you draw?’

He loved the excitement he saw in her eyes and he tried to calm his racing heart. ‘people, land and nature, mixture of both…, you want me to make a sketch of you?’

She blushed and he suddenly began to see how vulnerable she was and he told himself he wasn’t going to take advantage of that fact. ‘if you want to.’

he was quiet for a while before she spoke. ‘is that what you’ve always loved doing?’

‘yeah, it is.’

‘so, the question goes back to you, is that what you studied in college?’

‘no.’ he replied

Susan observed the sudden retreat and held his hand. ‘Antonio…’

‘It’s past Sue and I’m older than that now…’

‘you’re Salma’s younger brother, you still have time and you’re so young.’

‘I’m Salma’s older brother. Twenty eight is not that young.’

She persisted. ‘ that doesn’t stop you Mr. Antonio.’

He relaxed at her soothing voice and let out a great sigh. ‘I wanted to be a doctor but things didn’t work out for me and so I had to move on.’

‘I’m sorry.’

‘I dropped out of medical school.’ He continued unperturbed. ‘it was a hard year for me and a sad one when I remember how I let that dream die.’

‘it wasn’t your fault…’

‘if there was someone that deserved any blame, it was my foolishness as a young man who had life but threw it away to the wind due to drugs, sex and alcohol. I thought that was the ‘thing’ in town then and when I began taking drugs, I couldn’t make up for lost classes, I couldn’t even think right or do anything right anymore. There was no hope for me in college anymore and so, I was thrown out and I couldn’t even mention it to my sisters. What would I say, what would I tell them. Maria had spent all her life savings for me to be a doctor and Salma could only do a little to help. For years, there was no call and I kept wallowing in sin till I almost got killed one night. I couldn’t pay up for drugs and I needed a shot badly. I thought I was going to die…, I almost felt my soul slipping out of me, my life was being snuffed out of me but the mercy of God found me that night on the street.

Someone was preaching that night about salvation while I was bleeding in pain in the refuse where I had been dumped. He found me and took me to the hospital and kept watch till I could utter a word. I was discharged after surgery. I stayed in the hospital for months before I started seeing my life from a different perspective. I was supposed to be in a hospital as a doctor seeing to patients and I lay like an idiot on the bed. My rescuer came to see me later and told me he wanted to introduce me to a friend. That friend was Jesus and since then, my life has never been the same.’

Susan found herself petrified by his story. She had seen countless stories of lost souls on the media but never had she been opportune to sit before someone to tell her his whole story.

‘this was about four to five years ago and so, doing a good estimation, I wasted seven years of my life.’ He picked a stone and threw it into the lake.

‘I don’t know what to say…’

‘you can ask me how I make my living…’ he teased and looked into her eyes and found innocence in them. He fought the urge to hold her face in his hands. How could she feel comfortable still sitting beside someone like him.

She laughed nervously. ‘how do you make your living?’

‘I make sketches for people and I get paid. I returned to America about two years ago and so, I’ve been taking some dancing classes also. I help people to realize they can sing if they want to and I also minister to them after the classes. When I have enough money, I can get a bigger place and…’

‘why don’t you go back to medical school Antonio.’ Her voice was almost pleading. ‘you can still make it there. You’re not too old to go back, do your residency and graduate as a doctor you’ve always wanted to be. You can save lives and still minister to people.’

‘Sue…’

She shook her head stubbornly. ‘you can still go back. I want you to. You have talents and you’re a very intelligent man with good abilities. You came through college at the age of sixteen and you can still gain back lost time.’

‘why are you saying this Susan…, why do you want me to go back to school?’

‘because I see a young man who would not be fulfilled till he accomplishes that which has been set before him.’ she found his hands once more and squeezed it. ‘I want you to be my instructor Antonio…, but at the same time, I want you to go back to college and let your sisters see what their brother can do. You have to forgive yourself and move on. It’s time to shake yourself from the dust and rise like a man.’

‘has anyone ever told you how wise you are?’

‘you’re telling me now…’ she murmured. She froze as he lifted a tendril of hair off her face and placed it behind her ear.

He wished he could tell her how beautiful she looked but he paused and looked away. The tension between them was beginning to grow and he sensed it immediately. He knew when things like this were beginning to surface and he had learned to avoid it several times. He stood up immediately and extended his hands to her. she received it and was at once lifted up. she dusted her behind and slipped her hands into his.

‘we’d better find our way back.’ He suggested

‘yeah, I guess you’re right.’ She nodded feeling the same way too. If only she could stop the butterflies in her stomach and her pounding heart. She sensed he was feeling the same way too and was glad for the wisdom he portrayed in taking her back home before temptation would sweep them both away.

she was grateful for one thing though. that God had spoken to her enabling her to overcome her fears and help someone else.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by bezzus(f): 8:08pm On Jun 13, 2013
awesome. nice story

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:47pm On Jun 13, 2013
switgoody: Congrat dear u deserve it
thanks love

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

FEIRE - A Romance Story / SCHOOL LIFE / TAMISHO - My Story. My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.