Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

A Story: Broken Vows - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Story: Broken Vows (96168 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Joy4mi(f): 4:36pm On Jun 15, 2013
GLOW ki lon shele,

no update today ni?pls make my saturday interesting now.sad

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 4:38pm On Jun 15, 2013
Br3nd4: *rubbing palms together, waiting for next update* cheesy

Glow baby, keep glowing wink

Loool...ose dear..
I think I like ur new name fr me...Glowbaby! grin[quote author=Br3nd4]*rubbing palms together, waiting for next update* cheesy
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 15, 2013
Glowbaby it is then cheesy

glowbaby:

Hehe.....do u blame her? Joe hurt her sister so much na and they've both been through a lot lately plus amanda dying and all

Eh buh she's taking advantage of her sister's amnesia. . Not nice. sad
And that girl needs to meet Jesus wink
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 4:41pm On Jun 15, 2013
Joy4mi: GLOW ki lon shele,

no update today ni?pls make my saturday interesting now.sad
Don't worry joy, I will compensate by posting more today#wink
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 4:44pm On Jun 15, 2013
Br3nd4: Glowbaby it is then cheesy

Eh buh she's taking advantage of her sister's amnesia. . Not nice. sad
And that girl needs to meet Jesus wink

Yea, she needs Jesus...thanxs bren!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 4:48pm On Jun 15, 2013
yummypie: Dis is fantastic #hugs#. I can't just wait 4 d next update. Keep it up girl. I joined nairaland cos of dis story. So make it worthwhile

Aawwwww...rily? U ppl re maaaking my heaad to swell oo....
Dnt worry, it will be worth ur time I tell u
Thanks yummie fr joining us folks in NL,
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2013
emsheddy: wow. At last i have caught up with everyone else. Nows time to express my deep appreciation for how u have rolled out this wonderful piece. EXCELLENTO! My dear. Great work u r doing here and i love every bit of it.

Thank u so much em!!!very grateful! Muah
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Sleekbaby(f): 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2013
Glow plz do sth nah, tnx 4 d job weldone bt yet just lyk Oliver Twist, i nid som more n plz dont dsapoint me, b a gud gal dt u r, thumb up
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2013
Ishilove: Hello glowingscenes. Fantastic job you are doing here. Keep it up smiley

Are you Nigerian?

Howdy ishilove, I am nigerian o..lool.
And thanks for ur comments, I appreciate them
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by otitor: 4:57pm On Jun 15, 2013
Beautifully written.I am hooked. Can't wait for the update.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:38pm On Jun 15, 2013
Joe sank on the ground exhausted and tired. He was so tired he didn’t know when Trevor poured a bottle of water on his hair.

‘hey!’ he yelled and snatched the bottle from him. ‘I said you should give me to drink, not bathe me in it.’

‘sorry man, couldn’t help it.’ He laughed and helped himself to another bottle of water. ‘this was so impromptu but I’m not regretting it.’

‘thanks bro.’

‘anytime.’

Joe gulped the remaining content of his bottled water and stared at the ball in Trevor’s hands. He felt tempted to hit the ball away and dunk it right into the basket before Trevor’s face but he knew the guy would repay him with several dunks if he even tried to win one and so he kept his cool. He picked his wristwatch from his bag and found out they had spent two hours on the field, dribbling and dunking, Trevor getting almost all the glory but he still had his fun in the midst of it all.

‘when next are you going to be playing?’

‘next year…, want to spend all my time with my family this season. The last time I did was about five years ago due to work and all. I asked God about it and he confirmed it.’

‘so, you also believe in this ‘religious stuff.’

‘yeah, I do.’ Trevor looked down at him. ‘don’t you?’

‘I believe there’s a God somewhere. I know he exists, but I’m sorry to say I don’t believe in him. I know I grew up in a religious home and all, but I guess people make their decisions.’

‘and so you made a poor decision out of life…’ Trevor raised an eyebrow and shook his head

Joe scoffed. ‘I made a decision and refused to be bound by rules or let myself into some delusion that a ‘whole’ God would be concerned about me, someone like me. He has lots on his hands dude and if I can remember clearly, there are over millions of people on this earth. Joe Brandon is one of them, but is certainly not on God’s list.’

Trevor laughed and relaxed on the ground. ‘I see you and do you know who I think of or rather who I remember. Trevor Graham when he was in his teenage years. Hottest kid in college, great basketball player, son of Coach Brian and Mrs. Sara Graham.’ He mimicked the media’s voice. ‘and when I look back, I thank God for one thing…, he found me when I was falling and thought I did not need anybody.’

Trevor showed him his ear, the line that had been initially pierced. The piercing extended to the tip of his ear. Both ears actually and Joe wondered if he actually inserted ten pieces of earrings to his ears. It was as if Trevor read his mind because he nodded and laughed. ‘Five on one ear and five on the other. My back was initially designed with tattoos, tried to get rid of some of them in time. and on my arm…’ he showed him his right arm where a big huge heart was drawn in the shape of love. ‘that was when I met my first girlfriend.’ He shook his head in disgust. ‘you know the trouble with these things, they’re like sins, once you drill them into you, you can’t get rid of them that fast. Even if God forgives you, you still face the consequence of them staring back at you,’ he looked back at his arm. ‘I crossed it out but foolishness led me to it in the first place and so, I’m facing it but what can I do?’

‘I thought when you ask for forgiveness, it all goes away…’

‘yup. God won’t remember them anymore but you will, because it’s your sin. For example, a man commits murder and gets caught or he commits a crime and he gets taken to jail. He gives his life to Christ and behold all things are new, but he has to face the fact that he committed a crime. God is not going to come down and take him away from the prison. Some kind of miracle can happen to make him get released earlier than the first sentence but that man has to face the consequence of his sin. You committed it and so you accept the consequences and thank God for eternal life. And believe me, there Is eternal life…, you don’t want to die one day and find out that eternal life was actually real and you just missed it for some kind of place for torture do you?’

Joe shook his head unconsciously.

‘like they say, you have only one life and you die once. And I say live it well and live it for your maker. You have an account to give when you die.’

‘how do you know all these?’

‘the bible confirms it.’ He said briefly and Joe shuddered. The last time he had picked a bible was when his mother was dying and that was the last day he ever held it in his hands.

There was a moment’s silence before Trevor asked. ‘so, was there something you wanted to discuss or you just wanted to hang out?’

‘did I tell you I wanted to discuss anything?’

‘if I can still remember you Joe Brandon, you don’t just see people because you want to hang out. You’re a business man now and so, you should have something on your mind definitely.’

Joe shook his head and laughed. ‘oh Trevor, I can’t believe you still know some things about me.’

‘like your age and gender…, that’s pretty obvious.’ He teased

‘no, idiot!’ he laughed and threw him a punch. The tall guy received it and laughed again. ‘is that your best shot?’

‘I can’t compare you to me.’ He ran his hands through his wet hair and asked. ‘so who’s the lucky girl that’s getting married to my wise friend?’

‘nobody yet. I had a rough past so I’ll have trouble searching with my eyes. I have to leave that to God.’

Joe shook his head and raised his eyes. When he didn’t say anything further, Trevor asked. ‘so, you…, who are you seeing presently?’

‘what do you mean?’

‘we both know what I mean…’ he looked at his friend lazily and sat raised his knees. ‘you suck at relationships man!’

‘tell me again.’ Joe sighed and covered his face with his hands. ‘I ask myself every night before going to bed. ‘why did I do this?’

‘do what?’

‘why did I get my ex-wife pregnant. Why didn’t I act like the father Amanda wanted and why did I get drunk and have an affair with Tiffany while I was still married.’

‘you cheated on your wife.’ Trevor concluded

‘she cheated on me.’ Was all he could say. ‘I never wanted to pay her back but I left the house angrily that night and got myself drunk in a bar, and unfortunately for me, I met a lady and we talked. Sometimes I look at my life and I imagine that it was all a set up of some sort. Why did I have to get drunk and meet a woman who wanted more from me. I had an affair and got home the next morning and I couldn’t even look at Maria in the face. She knew what I had done and she could only yell at me. We exchanged so many words and she mentioned the word. ‘divorce.’ I thought ‘well, why not?

She wasn’t better than I was and we couldn’t live together anymore. Things got complex with Mandy’s condition and we couldn’t stand each other anymore. We tried to work out things because of Amanda by pretending everything was fine but it was not. I was seeing someone else already and I was already becoming committed. My heart was divided. I couldn’t pretend living under the same roof with my wife and so, she finally agreed to sign the papers. If there was one thing I could wish for right now…, it’s that I had never cheated on my wife at all.’ He looked sober now. ‘I was angry but yet, I had no right to cheat on her. I was angry that I had been faithful to her all my life and all she could repay me with was to ‘have an affair?’

Trevor watched his friend and saw how withdrawn he was beginning to look. ‘you’ve made a wish that can never come true…, because it’s happened. The only thing you can do is make amends. Do the right thing.’

‘I’m afraid I don’t even know what the right thing is presently.’

‘do you still love Maria?’

‘no, I stopped loving her years ago.’

‘now be honest with me…’

Joe closed his eyes and all he could think of was Maria. Her new found innocence, her amnesia condition and the children she carried, his children. Twins…, he couldn’t express his joy when he heard and saw it in the hospital.

And he thought of Maria’s smile again, her childish expression when he took her to lunch and tried to feed her like she was a child. Her eagerness to know how their marriage was and what had led to the divorce. Maria who had cried into him the day their daughter had died. Her screaming and wailing had broken his heart and he couldn’t shed tears. He had wanted to turn back at that last moment and tell her maybe they could start again but he couldn’t. he just couldn’t. he was committed to someone else and had even proposed to her because he felt he had fallen in love with Tiffany and knew all about her background and everything he needed to know and so, she could not betray him like Maria had. The earlier he moved ahead, the better for him, and at least, Amanda was going to have a loving mother as Tiffany but everything had gone wrong.

And now, he realized the truth like scales falling from his eyes. He was still in love with Maria

‘yes, I love her.’

‘then what are you going to do about it?’

‘I’m still thinking.’

‘do me a favor and read first Corinthians chapter thirteen in the bible, then tell me if you really understand what love is.’

‘I’m afraid I might have to disappoint you in that one.’

‘it was read on your wedding day, wasn’t it?’

‘yeah.’ He answered uncomfortably

‘so, tell me, how can you love someone without knowing God when God himself can be described with this same word. ‘love.’

‘people love, people fall in love without knowing God…’

‘and tell me how many marriages have survived it without that true love of God, or without giving way to the devil in their marriages. The husband cheats or the wife does. Lies come up, and then, drinking, selfishness, depression leads to some sort of murder…, if not externally, internally…, complexities set in, couples stop understanding each other and then, divorce sets in. the devil is having a field day. That’s not love, that’s infatuation and if you’re looking for someone who has fallen several times into infatuation, then here I am, still pleading for God to show me how to love and mercy to love enough. You can’t claim you love God and hurt your wife, or retaliate or even get provoked so easily. Love forgives…, Joe just as God forgives us even when we’re soaked in deep sin. And he forgives us because he loves us. If you really loved your wife in the beginning, you would forgive her even if she does the worst things you can ever imagine. You would still go ahead and sacrifice anything for her.’ Trevor tapped his shoulder and stood up. ‘so do me a favor and read what I asked you to read, okay. Then we can talk more.’

He stretched his hands towards Joe and helped him to his feet.

‘ready to play another round?’ the ball bounced on the ground severally before he dribbled him and headed straight to dunk it.

‘show off!’ joe yelled after him

‘can’t help it.’ He smiled back and passed him the ball.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:42pm On Jun 15, 2013
‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

By the time Joe got back the hotel, he was tired. With his bag on his shoulder, he managed to find his way upstairs planning to have a shower, book a flight back to Michigan tomorrow and sink into the bed. If he was lucky to wake early, he would grab some dinner, if not, till tomorrow morning when he would be having breakfast instead. He entered his room and switched on the light. When he turned, he staggered backwards.

‘tiffany?’

‘surprised?’ she smiled allowing her eyes to lazily roam over him. ‘you look good.’

‘what are you doing here…, I mean how did you get here?’

‘let’s ignore that and let’s talk like adults.’ She sat comfortably in her chair making Joe wished it was only a dream.

How in the world did she get here?

He dropped his bag. ‘Tiffany, at least you would have called. I was just about coming over to Michigan tomorrow.’

‘well, is there something you need to tell me before we move on. I’m going to be spending the night here. You could order dinner for two.’ She stood up to join him when he stopped her.

‘there’s something you need to know..’ he began when her hands went to his neck. He fought the urge not to give in to the temptation and succeeded. Right now, he was extremely tired but he had to stop living this double life once and for all.

‘I’ve not been completely honest with you.’

‘I know, but don’t worry, we can still go on with the wedding and we’ll forgive each other.’

‘no, Tiffany, you don’t understand…’

‘understand what?’ she almost cried frustrated that she wasn’t getting to him. ‘understand what Joe…, understand that you’ve been away for about three months here alone or probably with some woman I don’t know about and you don’t even bother to call me or explain anything. Do you know how stupid and how ridiculous I look before my family and friends? They can see a ring Joe but no wedding. No more romantic dates, no calls, no flowers, not even chocolates or ‘hello darling, did you miss me..’ the last time I heard that was two months ago. There was a phone call from your father and you just vanished like that…, I’m human Joe and I’m a woman. Does that not mean anything to you? I stay on my bed every night thinking of you and wondering if I’ve lost you and here you are looking so unperturbed and indifferent. I want an explanation Joe and I want you to be honest with me.’

Joe ran his hands through his hair and sighed heavily looking intently into her eyes.

‘I’m sorry…’

She bit her lip as the tears rolled down her cheeks. ‘there’s someone else, isn’t there?’

Joe closed his eyes and swallowed hard. How would she understand that the complexities of his life had made him seem distant from her and the funny feelings he was beginning to have for his ex- crowned it all.

‘I thought of it so many times but I tried to pretend like it was all my imagination. Right from the day you came back from Chicago, I knew I’d lost you but I told myself I was overreacting.’ She paused and closed her eyes. ‘I don’t know what to say except that ‘I hate you! You’re not different from the rest of them.’

‘tiffany please…’ he touched her but she jerked away and slapped him angrily. ‘don’t you even try to pretend this was not your intention, you lying cheat! How could you Joe…’ the tears were strolling down her neck. ‘after all I sacrificed for you, after four years of our relationship and you just went ahead like I never meant anything to you.’ She moved away from him. ‘I never want to see you again and don’t you even try to call me.’ She removed the ring and threw it back at him. she opened the door and was about to leave when she turned to look at him.

‘tell your ex-wife I said hello…, now I know why she cheated on you in the first place…, and you know why Joe, because you are one selfish man who’s going to end his life in misery. You don’t care about anyone but yourself and you think of no one else. I wish I never set eyes on you.’ She slammed the door in his face and left Joe staring back at her like he’d been given his death sentence.

He felt like he had suddenly lost everything.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:05pm On Jun 15, 2013
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
‘are you not going to have more sandwich, I made lots…’ Maria pleaded as her sister gulped down the coffee and struggled with her briefcase at the same time.

‘I’m sorry sweetheart but I’m late. You could save some for me when I come back.’

‘And that will be till seven or nine, I suppose.’ She took a peek outside and saw a car that just pulled in the driveway. ‘With this Nick of a guy on your neck, I hope you come back home in time.’

‘He’s here, isn’t he?’

‘Yup, and he’s walking towards the house as usual…’

‘you don’t like him do you?’

Maria frowned. ‘I don’t feel too comfortable when he’s around you. I think you can do better. Just because he’s good looking doesn’t mean he’ll be a good husband.’

Salma shook her head. ‘We’ll talk when I come back. I’ll come home early so I can cook dinner, or I’d probably buy.’

‘get me a jumbo juice on your way and the list that I gave you.’

‘When is your next appointment?’

‘Friday. I’ve not been feeling too good these days and it’s like these kids are ready to come out before Christmas.’

The bell rang and Maria whispered. ‘Save him the trouble and don’t let him in. if he asks about me, tell him I’m fine on my own.’

‘Maria!’

‘what, am I not fine without his ‘fake concerns.’ She shrugged and headed for the table to feed herself to the remaining sandwich. ‘have a nice day darling.’

‘you too.’ Salma greeted and rushed to place a loud kiss on her cheeks before opening the door and running out.

Maria smiled and shook her head. She bit into her sandwich and allowed her eyes roam over the magazine that Salma had bought for her the day before. Her sister had suggested that they start preparing for the girls and so she had gotten a maternal catalogue for her. clothes, materials and things to get and make a nursery. She sighed and closed her eyes. This house was becoming familiar to her and she loved it. Although Salma had not talked about the moving process again, she wondered how it would be if she moved away to someplace else to raise her girls. If she remembered, she would just need to start her life all over again and maybe move on with someone else. She had prayed about it to God but she knew her heart was already with someone else. A part of her loved Joe and wished she could express it but it was beyond her boundaries to. Like Salma had said, he was in love with someone else and he was about getting married to her when the baby came in.

she knew how heartbroken she was about the news but that wasn’t going to prevent her from allowing Joe to see his children after his wedding to his new bride. He was their father and he had every right to. She wasn’t going to lie or pretend to her children that their father was someone who had died or ran away or didn’t want them.

In fact, he wanted them so much he had ignored her as a woman who was falling in love with a man she had been separated from some years ago. Her children were going to have a better life, she assured them by patting her stomach and she was going to ask God for assistance in her task.

The knock on the door jerked her back to reality and she dropped her sandwich.

‘must you always forget everything?’ she cried as she went over to answer the door. ‘Salma, you’re beginning to…’ she stopped in her tracks as she opened the door.

‘joe?’

‘hi.’

‘hi…’ she swallowed and stared at him dumbly, wishing she could run into his arms and tell him how much she had missed him in just a week.

‘can I come in?’

‘sure…’ she opened the door wider and was still trying to assure herself that she wasn’t dreaming before she closed the door behind her.

‘I just thought I could come over and see how you were doing and if the girls were not giving you a hard day.’

She laughed nervously. ‘as you can see, they are. I have an appointment on Friday though.’

‘and you, how have you been?’

‘alive and happy, at least I can think of my life when I’m alone.’

‘great.., I mean.., it’s good to be alive.’ He was feeling quirky just standing before her. she had said she was happy and feeling ‘alive’ and it seemed to be she had excluded him out of her life. He was feeling so dead and empty while she was feeling so alive!

‘so, when did you come back?’

‘last night.’ He looked around the house Amanda had lived before she died and the house his ex-wife had agreed to stay after the divorce. Compared to the one he lived in Michigan, the place was quite small and noisy. Somewhat out of the buzzing noise of the city but she loved it anyway.

‘have you eaten anything or you rushed down here to see me?’

‘as a matter of fact, I did.’

‘I made some sandwiches and Salma didn’t have more than one for breakfast. I wouldn’t mind if you joined me though.’

‘thanks.’ He murmured and followed her to the table. He sat down and watched her going into the kitchen. When she returned, she was carrying a jar of hot coffee.

‘thought I should get you some of this. I’m in for milk instead.’

Joe stood up. ‘you shouldn’t have.’

‘oh please, the day you all stop treating me like an invalid, that day, I’ll be grateful.’ She poured him a cup of coffee and settled down to her own cup of warm milk.

Joe saw the catalogue on the table and glanced at her. she was really moving on without him. she caught his eyes and smiled innocently. ‘I can see you’re checking out my new catalogue. Salma got it for me two days ago and she thought I could just go through it and we could build a good nursery together for the twins. I was thinking more of renovation and we could get the carpenter to help with some stuffs. After the doctor’s appointment, we’re thinking of going shopping for baby girl clothes, shoes and ribbons.’ She passed it over to him and pointed to a pink cot. ‘what do you think?’

‘it’s great.’

‘I was thinking it would be big enough to put the girls. Salma thinks it’s awesome but I think it’s too expensive. I won’t be going to work till I’m due and I don’t want Salma handling all the bills.’

‘I can handle everything Maria…’ Joe interrupted without thinking. ‘I’m their father and I should be responsible for everything, not Salma. We should and we could go through it together.’ He touched her face but she retreated. ‘I’m sorry.’

‘why are you here Joe?’
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2013
Joe found himself stammering and his mind racing fast. ‘I’m here because…’

‘because of the baby…, you feel you have a right to me because of the kids..’

‘No Maria, I’m here because I’m meant to be with you, to be with my kids, our kids.’

‘no.’ she shook her head. ‘you’re here with me when you’re meant to be with someone else. You should have gotten married to someone else but the baby came and disrupted your plans…, I’m sorry joe but I don’t want you to feel obliged to me.’

‘stop Maria. Stop listening to everything Salma is telling you about me!’ he almost yelled and Maria jerked half scared. he noticed it and he grabbed her hands desperately.

‘stop it Joe, you’re scaring me.’

‘I’m sorry, but listen to me Maria, I need you desperately, right now. There’s no wedding Maria. Tiffany’s gone…’

‘tiffany?’

‘yes, the girl I thought I was getting married to.’

‘so, you take me as a refuge you can run to or some rebound woman you can run to when something is not working well for you?’

‘’no, Maria, please…’ he begged. ‘you can’t leave me too.’

‘oh…, so she left you?’ the reality of what happened suddenly dawned on her and she would have slapped him for what he was doing but she prayed for strength to hold herself from doing so. How could he do this to her? after how much she had grown to love him and all he could do was run to her like some desperate source of escape. What if this ‘Tiffany’ had not gone, he wouldn’t come running to beg her this way. He didn’t want to be alone and he felt she was a weakling. Salma had warned her about this but she had ignored her. he was a selfish person and that was all she could see now.

‘so, tell me Joe, did she leave you or you left her?’

‘it doesn’t matter.’

‘it does Joe.’ She jerked free finally. ‘it really does.’

‘we talked and got to a conclusion.’

‘a conclusion…is that what you call it? You know what I think Joe, I think you’re here because I’m pregnant. Let me ask you a question Joe.., what if I never got pregnant, what if I never had amnesia or our child never died…, would you be here kneeling for me, begging me desperately or would you be with your new bride on your honeymoon forgetting you had an ex-wife somewhere?’

Joe was dumbstruck. How could she be talking to him this way? She had thought so much she had thought of everything.

‘I’m sorry.., I love you.’

‘you don’t love me Joe.’ Her voice broke in tears and Joe finally saw how he was hurting her. he felt more sorry.

‘I loved you, or I thought I was beginning to fall in love with you but I guess I was wrong.’ she covered her face in her hands and shook her head. ‘I thought I could prove Salma wrong but she was right. She was right all along. Please leave.’

Joe stood up and felt his heart constricting painfully. ‘I never meant to make you cry.’

‘just go, please.’ She pleaded and watched him leave. She sank into the chair and couldn’t stop herself from crying. Now she wished God would say something because she felt she had let the most important person in her life slip away when she had him right under her nose, on his knees.

She wasn’t strong enough to run back to him and so, she sank on her knees and prayed for God’s will. She had prayed for a new life, a new and different kind of love but she hadn’t asked what God would want her to do when everything was becoming overwhelming for her.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:08pm On Jun 15, 2013
u guys take this one drink peppersoup that darlynlara prepared for us all...tehehehehehe
i hope ive quenched some ppl's thirst tonyt.. wink wink
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Joy4mi(f): 7:47pm On Jun 15, 2013
my swthart,honeypie,darlin GLOW,

words cant explain my feelings of awesomeness towards u.
u ar just too good.
may ur fountain of wisdom never dry.may u move frm glory to glory.
may the holy spirit always inspire u.

u av made my saturday vveeerrrrry interesting:-D

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by yajoe(m): 8:33pm On Jun 15, 2013
A little, bt U've made my evenin, God bless u
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:01pm On Jun 15, 2013
Joy4mi: my swthart,honeypie,darlin GLOW,

words cant explain my feelings of awesomeness towards u.
u ar just too good.
may ur fountain of wisdom never dry.may u move frm glory to glory.
may the holy spirit always inspire u.

u av made my saturday vveeerrrrry interesting:-D

ameeeeeeeeeeeen ooooooooo IJN!! grin grin
sweetim!!!! oya come take hug and kiss join am kiss kiss grin
tanx dearie fr ur motivating comments...i appreciate
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2013
Oooush! God pls intervenesad

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by JoBle(f): 9:35pm On Jun 15, 2013
whoa! This story has come a long way from the last time I was here and still you've managed to keep the story excellent. Splendid job! Can't wait for the next update. Congrats on your front page,sorry I wasn't here to celebrate with you guys
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by kemiola89(f): 11:47pm On Jun 15, 2013
*singing* speechless, spleechless that's how you make me feel# Omalisha Glow, this ya story is making me speechless. Thumbs up dearie, you are da bomb.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Bobbin2009: 9:11am On Jun 16, 2013
hi glow love your write up. keep it up and more updates i can't wait.............

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Anonymous007: 12:08pm On Jun 16, 2013
[/color][color=#000099]
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 12:48pm On Jun 16, 2013

Susan watched Antonio till the end of the class and was amazed at how he taught everyone with such graceful manner and how he encouraged each person in the studio. She didn’t know she had been staring for long till he caught her looking at him and she blushed instantly. He was about rounding up the class and so, he prayed and watched them leave.

Susan came up to meet him and smiled.

‘wow, you were great.’

‘and you, Miss Graham were late for class today.’ He playfully scolded and touched her cheeks.‘you had better do something with that red stain that keeps popping up whenever you look at me.’

She felt embarrassed but she defended herself. ‘or what?’

He looked at her then and she could read the intentions that were in them. She blushed again.

‘I ask for grace to love you appropriately whenever I look at you Susan.’

‘and I would never tempt you Anthony.’ She replied

‘I know you wouldn’t.’ he smiled at her again and bent to whisper in her ear. ‘people are staring at us wondering what I’m doing with the new student.’

‘a student you’ve known for more than a month now.’ She chuckled and smiled up at him. ‘so, what’s the good news all about?’

He winked at her and picked his bag. ‘tell me you won’t scream when I tell you.’

‘Okay, I wont scream.’

‘I doubt it.’ He grabbed her by the arm as she wasn’t looking at where she was going. ‘let’s grab dinner tonight. I’ll come pick you and then, I’ll tell you.’

‘You’re killing me with suspense Antonio; please don’t do this to me.’

‘it’s my word, darling and that’s final. Will eight be cool by you or Daddy’s gonna be upset?’

Susan punched him playfully. ‘when did you start regarding me as Daddy’s girl? This is just one of those years you’re lucky to see me in my parent’s house and so be glad you can even see me before I head back ’

‘really?’ he raised an eyebrow. ‘well, Since when you only agreed for lunch and we’ve been having lunch ever since.’ He stopped to look at her. ‘and so, I thought to myself. ‘why not take the special girl in my life to dinner and tell her the little secret she’ll love to hear.’

‘7:30 will be fine by me.’ She smiled at the ‘term’ he had used for her. ‘the next time you mention dinner, think of my house. You can bet my mum would be dying to have you for dinner after tonight.’

‘Then I’m willing to take that leap of faith.’ He kissed her cheeks and released her. ‘so, I’ll see you tonight.’

‘Yeah, tonight.’ She concluded and watched him strolling away. It was at that moment she realized that she was falling in love with him. if only he felt the same way too.

She flagged down a taxi and relaxed as she entered wondering how much worse she would feel when she went back to school if she was already feeling this awkward at just some minute’s difference that they were apart.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

‘and what is my wife doing up by this time of the day!’ Denver scolded and went to put his arm around his wife’s waist. He nibbled her earlobe and she smiled.

‘got tired of sleeping and since Melanie was away for a while, I thought I could prepare breakfast for the both of us.'

‘but this is just 6a.m. you should be sleeping while I should be doing this.’ He released her and collected the coffee jug from her.

‘I woke up early and didn’t find you in bed. I peeked into your study and found you there, reading as usual.’

‘and so, that’s your excuse.’ He raised an eyebrow at her and smiled as she folded her arms across her chest vaguely annoyed.

‘so, no good morning?’

‘good morning beautiful.’ He replied and kissed her on the lips. She sighed and he smiled down at her. I have to get down town today but I’ll be home in time for dinner. Candle lights and dinner for the both of us.’ He kissed her again and marveled at her response. ‘I thank God for you each day.’

‘I couldn’t wish for more.’ She gave a muffled response as she went fully into his arms.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 12:50pm On Jun 16, 2013
kemiola89: *singing* speechless, spleechless that's how you make me feel# Omalisha Glow, this ya story is making me speechless. Thumbs up dearie, you are da bomb.
hahahahaha....sweetim...ose gan oo...im grateful for the love
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2013
Bobbin2009: hi glow love your write up. keep it up and more updates i can't wait.............
thanks bobbin grin

wow, it makes me glad that the men on nairaland too are interested in Christian romance grin grin
it's an honour cheesy smiley
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Sleekbaby(f): 2:38pm On Jun 16, 2013
Glow dearie, hpy sunday, come n eat rice so dt u wil hv strent 4 2da's update, i wil add 5 meat 4 u plz jst 4 2 deliver, am waiting

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Holumayor: 3:19pm On Jun 16, 2013
I realy njoyd ur writeups,u made me join nairaland. Thumbs up dear
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Holumayor: 3:20pm On Jun 16, 2013
Glow,I realy njoyd ur writeups,u made me join nairaland. Thumbs up dear

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Laplusbelle(f): 4:24pm On Jun 16, 2013
i love ur write up.i ve been following silently.God will give u more wisdom to write and also give hope to the hopeless.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Preshie(f): 4:49pm On Jun 16, 2013
Hi, Glowie...i can guess what Antonio wants to tell Susan but...
#keeping my fingers crossed#
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:14pm On Jun 16, 2013
sleek has given me rice to update?hehehehe

ok...here's another one

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Susan looked at herself in the mirror for the seventh time that day and sighed angrily. ‘I’m so vain!’ she scolded when the bell rang and she snatched her purse from the bed and hurried downstairs. She hoped she didn’t look old fashioned like those women she saw in the 70’s movies. She would have put a scissor to her hair but Antonio had begged her not to, at least, not yet. He wanted to make a sketch of her and he wasn’t going to exclude the hair and so, she had rolled and rolled it until it looked like a red bun. Some pins were inserted to keep it in place and she hoped it wont fall off.

She approached the staircase and her mother raised an eyebrow.

‘this is not prom again, is it?’ she teased and let her eyes roam her daughter’s slender frame. The black gown she wore made the red color of her hair quite pronounced and the slight shade of pink gloss couldn’t have been more suitable for her outfit.

‘how do I look?’

‘gorgeous.’ Her father greeted and kissed his daughter on the cheek. ‘you don’t want to keep prince charming waiting, do you?’

‘where is he?’ she almost whispered.

‘in the foyer, standing like a nervous gentleman.’

‘I guess because I’m in my parent’s house. If I was in my apartment…’

‘a simple ‘I love you and see you later.’ Would be nice.’ Her father scolded and watched her blush at his remark. He watched her head to the foyer and stop.

Susan on the other hand was staring dumbly at Antonio. She couldn’t express how handsome he was in words and she imagined him as the prince charming she had often read in fairytales. Only this was real and standing before her in black tuxedo and black pairs of shoes. Although she did not know too much about fashion sense, she could tell he had a better one than her. his dark hair was neatly combed smooth like silk. Even the smell of his perfume tingled her nose and she held herself from breathing in his aftershave. His thick eyebrows rose when she came to him.

‘hi.’ She greeted

‘wow.’ Was all he could mutter, his eyes not leaving her. ‘you look great.’

‘thank you.’

He nodded and passed her a rose. ‘I remembered the color of your hair and I picked this on the way. It reminds me of you.’

She received it and inhaled it. ‘I love it.’

‘I’m glad you do.’ He watched her intently and wondered what she was thinking. he finally spoke. ‘if we don’t leave now, we’ll be having leftovers for dinner.’

That brought her back to her senses and she slipped her hand into his while they left the house together and walked to the car parked outside. She was silent throughout their journey and Antonio didn’t bother intruding her solitude. Susan on the other hand was lost in the lights of the city and how much she had missed going out for a special treat. she had gone for treats with her former boyfriend and before Jake Bruce but it didn’t feel this special to her. even when she went back to college, she knew she would always remember this day. The day she was sure that what she was feeling for Antonio wasn’t infatuation or lust. It was pure and it made her heart throb whenever she was around him. if he was attentive enough, he would hear her heart racing as she sat quietly.

She observed that he knew the town well and wondered how he knew the place in such a short while. He suddenly parked before a well known restaurant she’d often seen but had never had the chance to enter and she looked at him questioningly.

He didn’t wait to look back at her because he had already gotten down and was standing beside her to open her door.

‘thank you.’ She greeted and slipped his hands into his. He passed the key to the chauffeur and slipped his arm around her waist.

‘are we actually having dinner here?’

‘yes.’ He laughed softly and led her inside. She observed that he already had a table reserved for the both of them because they were led courteously to a table. After she settled, she looked at him.

‘this is too much Antony…’

‘for you, no, it’s never enough.’ He picked her hand and kissed it. ‘you look beautiful.’ He gazed into her eyes then and was lost for a while. It was till when a waiter came to attend to them he came back to his senses and picked the menu pamphlet.

‘I’ll have the roasted cod with spinach and mushrooms served with red roasted potatoes.’ Susan suggested and still kept on looking at the menu. ‘do you serve water?’

‘yes, we do.’

‘I’ll appreciate a glass of water and maybe a little appetiser instead.’

The waiter raised an eyebrow at her an Antonio couldn’t help but hold his mirth.

‘doesn’t the beautiful lady want some wine?’

‘no, I don’t take wine…,I mean I don’t want to get tipsy and all…’ she tried to explain but Antonio helped her out.

‘we’ll start with appetizers first of all. We’ll have the Swedish pancakes served with Vanilla ice cream and fresh berries. Then later, we’ll discuss the main menu.’

The waiter bowed and left and Susan raised an eyebrow. ‘did I do something wrong?’

‘not really, except you gave me appetite after surprising the waiter.’

‘I’m not into champagne.’ She sighed.

‘me neither.’ He smiled and watched her relax. ‘so, where should I start…, it’s a lovely dress.’

‘I had to do an emergency shopping today.’ She confessed. ‘I don’t have much of my clothes in my parent’s house and I’ve grown quite taller than my prom dress.’

‘well, your eyes are good if you picked that dress yourself.’

‘I did but the sales person persuaded me on this particular one and I thought, why not.’

‘you would make an honest wife.’ He commented. ‘really, I could even trust you if you tell me your age right now. Most women wouldn’t state their real age.’

‘is that a good thing?’

‘it is, and I love you for it.’ He looked up as their plates were placed before them and the water susan had asked for.

‘I’m twenty four.’ She said after the waiter had gone. ‘and I love cooking and reading.’

Antonio laughed and dug his fork into his meal. ‘and I’m twenty eight, and I love taking you out.’

‘you’re so unserious.’ She helped herself to the glass of water after muttering a prayer over their meal. ‘so, if I do remember clearly, you had me in suspense this afternoon.’

‘well, yeah sort of.’ He smiled

‘what do you mean sort of.’

‘okay, I just wanted you to know that I’ll be going back to medical school.’

Susan had to hold herself from screaming. ‘oh my goodness!..., Antonio…, it’s so beautiful. You’re actually going back to medical school…’

‘yeah.’ His eyes brightened. ‘and I’m going to be resuming next week for a brief orientation and I’ll fully resume classes next year. I’m glad I’ll be seeing you for Christmas.’

‘I’m so happy for you Antony.’ She raised her hands to his face and he kissed it. ‘thank you Susan. Without you, I don’t know what I would be doing now.’

They continued their meal and Antonio started giving her briefs on some medical terms and how he would love to come and see her in college sometime probably when he was less busy. Susan told him about her life and what she loved doing when she was alone.

‘I’m glad you love nature.’

‘well, the first time I saw a huge rainbow, I fell in love with nature. I mean it looked so beautiful. And then, I loved to sway and move, humming as I go and the first time, I danced to Casting Crown’s ‘who am I and I fell in love with the song. I thought to myself. ‘wow, an awesome God would concern himself with a human like me. He even came to be like me and feel what I felt. i fell in love with God all over again.’

For a moment, Antonio said nothing and Susan believed he was lost in his thoughts. She decided to lighten him up.

‘so, what propelled you to bring me here, or is this something you do everyday?

He looked at her then. ‘I guess you’re the first woman I’m bringing to this place. The special one in my life.’

‘do you want me to believe that so easily.’

‘I would love you to. After all, it’s the truth

They talked for a while before Antonio decided to take her home as it was already getting late. He parked in her parent’s driveway and escorted her to the door.

‘so…’ she started

‘so, it’s goodnight then.’ He murmured as his gaze went to her lips.

‘we’re right in front of my parent’s house.’ She tried to remind him

‘and that’s why I escorted you here…’ he leaned closer. ‘to let your parents know I enjoyed my evening with you.’

And before she could utter another word, he kissed her and she would have fallen if not that he was very brief and he held her.

‘i… i.. should better knock.’ She gibbered

He touched her cheeks and she tiptoed to kiss him. ‘goodnight Antony.’

‘goodnight.’ He managed a reply and watched her enter into her house without looking back at him. he strolled back into his car and sighed wishing he had the guts to fall on his knees and ask her to marry him as he drove off.

if he could see through walls, he would see the young woman that he had fallen in love with still leaning on the door wishing he had every right to stay and wishing he was in love with her the way she had fallen in love with him.
‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply)

FEIRE - A Romance Story / SCHOOL LIFE / TAMISHO - My Story. My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.