Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,995 members, 7,835,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage (24307 Views)

Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Abati Is A Product Of Same-Sex Marriage” – Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by greatmen: 4:19am On May 31, 2013
a1solution: [size=14pt]they should pass a law prohibiting PHCN from seizing light[/size]
the most sensible tin I have heard in nairaland!

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by bobthebuilder99(m): 5:18am On May 31, 2013
donedy:

Why are you killing yourself by insulting anyone that's against your stupidity. You must have been the most enlightened black in Nigeria. I presume you're better than the majority of Nigerians that are against the act.

In fact, in you're in a state of delusion of you believe Gay/lesbianism has a place in Nigeria.

I don't like bullies, or people that look down on other people.

A couple of decades ago, people were making these same noises when interracial marriage was legalized. It was wrong then, and it is wrong now.

I am not gay, so why should I care who another man is intimate with? Worrying about who other men are intimate with must make you even more gay than them. Are you jealous of them or something?

2 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Chomzy19(f): 5:24am On May 31, 2013
matrixme: This country just sinks into depths of mediocrity daily. The headlines one day would read "I have done well, says Jonathan", the next day, the Senate would approve anti-gay laws. Yet, a lot of people feeling good about these news are unemployed and probably not well fed. This is a country whereby popular baby factories have been recently uncovered whereby young girls would actually sell their babies for money, yet we think we are more morally upright than some 'western' countries whose citizens would not even dare a thing like that. Even the religious bodies that acts as advocates for the marriage institution has a social justice system that is perverted. We either kill innocent people or live extravagantly and insensitive about the plight of the poor all in the name of God. Our country is deeply entrenched in corruption, insecurity, poverty, educational deprivation, lack of infrastructures and quality health services, yet we are silent on any of these pressing issues. We just like ostriches burying our heads in the sand,denying the reality in our lives by appearing morally relevant, yet, our butt is glaring to all. We will see how far this gets us!
so you blieve gay marriage is nt a pressing issue in d world of today yet countries all over d world are legislating on it; either banning or legalizing it? So long as society exists there must b injustice n unemployment nd d poor; so saying these things are nt in d western countries is a big lie is jst that it is too much on nig; n on a more imp note everything is nt abt d poor n unemployed d nig society is also made up of other pple, d news everyday is abt these same issues(poverty; corruption, injustice, security) n yes for those saying laws punnishing corruption shld b made first there are host of laws on all these issues(check d criminal code) so d leg. Deserves kudos for enacting their own gay law coz that is actually d matter being legislated on internationally.
Wether you oppose or support their views is immaterial cuz they hv d constitutional power to leg. on marriage n other laws for d preservation of pub morality n good of Nigerians.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by bobthebuilder99(m): 5:58am On May 31, 2013
Chomzy19: so you blieve gay marriage is nt a pressing issue in d world of today yet countries all over d world are legislating on it; either banning or legalizing it? So long as society exists there must b injustice n unemployment nd d poor; so saying these things are nt in d western countries is a big lie is jst that it is too much on nig; n on a more imp note everything is nt abt d poor n unemployed d nig society is also made up of other pple, d news everyday is abt these same issues(poverty; corruption, injustice, security) n yes for those saying laws punnishing corruption shld b made first there are host of laws on all these issues(check d criminal code) so d leg. Deserves kudos for enacting their own gay law coz that is actually d matter being legislated on internationally.
Wether you oppose or support their views is immaterial cuz they hv d constitutional power to leg. on marriage n other laws for d preservation of pub morality n good of Nigerians.

The public morality of Nigerians? LWKMD!

Are you saying that the majority of Nigerians are moral and good? Abeg, put down the hemp.

Are you saying that you will be negatively affected if a woman sleeps with another woman? If you tell me that it will, then you must be gay.
Tell me how what someone does in their own bedroom is going to effect you?

I like the American phrase "If you don't like gay marriage, DON'T GET GAY MARRIED!" Simple. grin
Unless you plan on getting married to another woman, or you think your husband is going to run off and leave you for a man, then you shouldn't be worried about it.

3 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by vowiski(m): 6:27am On May 31, 2013
Rep approves, I doubt the President will accent to it.. So it is not a LAW.

Bunch of clowns..

How many years Jail term have they given to the Irresponsible governors in the Irresponsible NIGERIA GOVERNORS FORUM.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by goyston: 6:43am On May 31, 2013
Tell them that most men love women, and most women love men. But that there are some men that love men, and some women love women, and this is okay too - it's the same.

To everyone saying this is the end-times: I think this is only the beginning of breaking down a barrier that has existed for hundreds of years. Nigeria received homophobia (fear of gays) from the British colonialists a long time ago, and the British are gone but the homophobia has stayed. It's an attitude/fear from the 1800s. If Naija wants to make progress it must have progressive social views, not stay with these old 1800s British ideas…SMH…

To everyone saying this will result in legalizing marrying animals, inbreeding, etc.: Why do you say that? Is there any evidence? Netherlands legalized gay marriage over 12 years ago and nobody is marrying animals or anything. Canada has had gay marriage since 2005, S. Africa since 2006, Norway since 2009, Argentina since 2010...many more..15 countries around the world have it legalized and none of them are even talking about or considering this inbreeding or polygamy or marrying animals or whatever nonsense you are talking about..so where do you get this idea that anybody wants to legalize any of these things if you legalize gay marriage? You made it up, there is no evidence. Adults should be allowed to marry any other adult they are in love with. It's not your business if they go to heaven or hell for it, or if you don't like it. They're adults and they make their own decisions - as long as their decision doesn't hurt you or anyone else, why is it your business?

3 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by godunia(m): 6:47am On May 31, 2013
HNosegbe: Last time I checked, gay relationships were still going on underground, and secret gay clubs still existed across the country.

If the lawmakers think this changes a damn thing, they're seriously deluded. Heck, there may even be closet homos among them.

Meanwhile, what's up with the PIB?
u re right my friend.these people exist amongs us but how do u prosecute them without a law?if u arrest a homosexual today with what wld u charge him? For adultery?mmmm.well its a crime to rob yet there are still armed robbers but if they re caught,they no what wld happen to them.same goes for homo/gay stuff.trust naija police,de wont fail to interpret d law beyond what is lawful.gays or whatever u call yrself STAY clear,if u re caught mmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Vansnickers: 6:51am On May 31, 2013
barcanista: 14 years? too light. it should be DEATH PENALTY. those mentally deranged should either practice their god-forsaking act in europe/america or be ready to DIE in Nigeria. I barcanista will without hesitation mobilize youths to lynch and set ablaze any person or group of persons that publicly practice or advocates or sympathise with homosexuality in my area or environs. God bless Nigeria

Why are filled with so much hate?! Na WA for Nigerians, religious and hateful at the same time

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by collynzo2(m): 7:11am On May 31, 2013
Why do we always have to import he side effects of advancement from developed nations? Until we start manufacturing aeroplanes and rockets, we have no business leagalizing gay marriage/activities in Nigeria. Our reps got it right for once.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by porka: 7:19am On May 31, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: Too late. The world has gone far too gay for Nigeria to do anything about it. Wait till they start giving state banquet and reception to foreign gay presidents and dignitaries. Na so arab people misbehave with anti-women law and US sent them a female secretary of state, Madeleine Albright. See their people they look them for TV dey bow for Madeleine, dey throw red carpet for her, dey salute her.

That world includes France where riots and violent demonstrations have broken out in the past days right?

Does it also include Britain where opponents of homosexual marriage have sponsored a counter bill to allow civil union for heterosexual couples?

Madeleine Albright or not, the West cannot do without Arabs' oil.

They can intimidate Malawi and some poor African countries but not Nigeria.

BTW, that provision for public and amorous homosexual ban as contained in the bill should be expunged from the harmonized bill.

It runs against an existing law banning homosexuality in Nigeria.

It's like legalizing homosexuality in Nigeria through the back door.

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Vansnickers: 7:22am On May 31, 2013
collynzo2: Why do we always have to import he side effects of advancement from developed nations? Until we start manufacturing aeroplanes and rockets, we have no business leagalizing gay marriage/activities in Nigeria. Our reps got it right for once.

So when Nigeria starts manufacturing planes and rockets, you will start supporting gays?!

What a ret@rded mentality.

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by emmayoc: 7:22am On May 31, 2013
ozodigboo: Rubbish .
With everything going wrong in Naija [ corruption, power failure, Boko Haram etc ] they go to debate same-sex marriage ?
If our next president is gay, but organizes our country to European standards, I WILL SUPPORT HIM !
SMH at misplacement of priorities.
Am sure u're one of them! Wait untill u find ursef in kirikiri. Mtcheeeeeeeeew
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Vansnickers: 7:25am On May 31, 2013
emmayo_c: Am sure u're one of them! Wait untill u find ursef in kirikiri. Mtcheeeeeeeeew

Keep quiet! ! You languish in penury, while your leaders manipulate and deceive your bigoted mind.

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by porka: 7:30am On May 31, 2013
goyston: Tell them that most men love women, and most women love men. But that there are some men that love men, and some women love women, and this is okay too - it's the same.

To everyone saying this is the end-times: I think this is only the beginning of breaking down a barrier that has existed for hundreds of years. Nigeria received homophobia (fear of gays) from the British colonialists a long time ago, and the British are gone but the homophobia has stayed. It's an attitude/fear from the 1800s. If Naija wants to make progress it must have progressive social views, not stay with these old 1800s British ideas…SMH…

To everyone saying this will result in legalizing marrying animals, inbreeding, etc.: Why do you say that? Is there any evidence? Netherlands legalized gay marriage over 12 years ago and nobody is marrying animals or anything. Canada has had gay marriage since 2005, S. Africa since 2006, Norway since 2009, Argentina since 2010...many more..15 countries around the world have it legalized and none of them are even talking about or considering this inbreeding or polygamy or marrying animals or whatever nonsense you are talking about..so where do you get this idea that anybody wants to legalize any of these things if you legalize gay marriage? You made it up, there is no evidence. Adults should be allowed to marry any other adult they are in love with. It's not your business if they go to heaven or hell for it, or if you don't like it. They're adults and they make their own decisions - as long as their decision doesn't hurt you or anyone else, why is it your business?

Just stay where you are practice what you want to practice and not step Nigeria.

It is against our laws to practice such nonsense here.

It is not your business how we regulate our lives here.

The whole of the West currently imprison father and daughter caught having sexual relationship, if they come back tomorrow and tell us to be "progressive" like you are saying, should be jump up and join them as well?

We have our culture, we don't take such nonsense. Period!

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by goyston: 7:30am On May 31, 2013
collynzo2: Why do we always have to import he side effects of advancement from developed nations? Until we start manufacturing aeroplanes and rockets, we have no business leagalizing gay marriage/activities in Nigeria. Our reps got it right for once.
Homophobia is imported from developed nations, not homosexuality - Nigeria got it from Britain in the 1800s/early 1900s. Before this, homosexuality was a normal thing in Naija, not something strange..but Britain came and brought hate and fear of gays and lesbians and after 52 years of independence, Naija still has it. Maybe it's time to be progressive?

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by onitshaigbo(m): 7:30am On May 31, 2013
Van snickers:

Keep quiet! ! You languish in penury, while your leaders manipulate and deceive your bigoted mind.

Are you a sodomiser? Please go to San Francisco or some place where you might feel more comfortable with a large gay population. You are also going straight to the deepest pits of Hell if you don't repent your involvement in this very egregious sin.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by porka: 7:32am On May 31, 2013
vowiski: Rep approves, I doubt the President will accent to it.. So it is not a LAW.

Bunch of clowns..

How many years Jail term have they given to the Irresponsible governors in the Irresponsible NIGERIA GOVERNORS FORUM.

Continue in your doubt.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by onitshaigbo(m): 7:32am On May 31, 2013
goyston:
Homophobia is imported from developed nations, not homosexuality - Nigeria got it from Britain in the 1800s/early 1900s. Before this, homosexuality was a normal thing in Naija, not something strange..but Britain came and brought hate and fear of gays and lesbians and after 52 years of independence, Naija still has it. Maybe it's time to be progressive?

Another boylover or gay sympathiser... SMH

No, homosexuality is very un-African as well as un-Christian. Almost every traditional society and culture in the world vehemently denounce it.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by goyston: 7:32am On May 31, 2013
porka:

The whole of the West currently imprison father and daughter caught having sexual relationship, if they come back tomorrow and tell us to be "progressive" like you are saying, should be jump up and join them as well?

No because this is abuse - a child cannot be married because they are too young for this type of decision, so they must be protected by the law. Why is it your business what two adults want to do? Who is this protecting?

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by onitshaigbo(m): 7:34am On May 31, 2013
goyston:

No because this is abuse - a child cannot be married because they are too young for this type of decision, so they must be protected by the law. Why is it your business what two adults want to do? Who is this protecting?

Would you stop your child if he decides to rip his hair off or cuts fingers off because he is inclined to do so from mental illness? Likewise, homosexuality (especially male homosexuality) is extremely harmful for the soul, and we have an obligation to prevent people from harming themselves.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by porka: 7:37am On May 31, 2013
Amaaskia: Misplaced priority.
As a straight woman, I enjoy and adore my relationship with my boyfriend but I also enjoy and cherish my relationship with my gay friends. My gay friends are fun and super lively, they're good, lively and fun company anytime. I enjoy hanging with em, shopping with em and most especially gisting/gossiping with em. They totally understand me :-). Honestly, I don't care what they do in their bedrooms yeah, but I'm confident they're amazing at their jobs - talented, determined, successful at their jobs.
Its 2013. Who is Nigeria fooling
Mtchewwwwwwwwww
*picks cellphone and dials gay friends just to say 'hey'* :-)

You have to enjoy whatever you want to enjoy outside Nigeria.

It's your life.

You can't enjoy any of such things here.

It's against our laws.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by porka: 7:40am On May 31, 2013
goyston:

Read my post very well before you comment.

A father and daughter could be adult.

Google to find several of this relationships all over the world.

Mother and son, father and daughter.

You are disingenuously putting child in it.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by goyston: 7:42am On May 31, 2013
onitshaigbo:

No, homosexuality is very un-African as well as un-Christian. Almost every traditional society and culture in the world vehemently denounce it.

Almost every society in the world (traditional or not) does not denounce it. Belgium is 65% Christian, South Africa is 74% Christian, Canada is 67% Christian, France is 54% Christian, and Portugal is 84% Christian…and all of them have gay marriage…Nigeria is less Christian than any of those countries (51%). I don't think you can say Christian countries "vehemently denounce" gays. Maybe Nigeria does, but the Bible says:

"If anyone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

How can people post saying they will kill a gay if they see him, and say they are a good Christian? The Bible does not say to do this. SMH…

3 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by goyston: 7:44am On May 31, 2013
porka:

You are disingenuously putting child in it.

Okay. Why is this relevant? Why would allowing gays to marry result in people marrying their son or daughter?
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Vansnickers: 7:45am On May 31, 2013
onitshaigbo:

Are you a sodomiser? Please go to San Francisco or some place where you might feel more comfortable with a large gay population. You are also going straight to the deepest pits of Hell if you don't repent your involvement in this very egregious sin.

What an illiterate.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by raffite: 7:45am On May 31, 2013
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is now left for us to lynch and report any offender to the Police.

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by onitshaigbo(m): 7:45am On May 31, 2013
goyston:

Almost every society in the world (traditional or not) does not denounce it. Belgium is 65% Christian, South Africa is 74% Christian, Canada is 67% Christian, France is 54% Christian, and Portugal is 84% Christian…and all of them have gay marriage…Nigeria is less Christian than any of those countries (51%). I don't think you can say Christian countries "vehemently denounce" gays. Maybe Nigeria does, but the Bible says:

"If anyone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

How can people post saying they will kill a gay if they see him, and say they are a good Christian? The Bible does not say to do this. SMH…

Honestly, Europeans don't believe in God anymore, so they don't count.

Jesus also said that if someone does something wrong, you should accost and reproach him.

Make No Mistake: Homosexuality is a crime warranting the death penalty according the Bible.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Vansnickers: 7:50am On May 31, 2013
Africans never change. The same tactics the Europeans used on your forefathers, is still being used on you in 2013! The Europeans distracted your forefathers with mundane objects while they pillaged their resources. Your leaders just pulled the oldest trick in the book on you.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by onitshaigbo(m): 7:53am On May 31, 2013
Van snickers:

What an illiterate.

Yes, you're making a lot of sense calling someone more educated than you'll ever be "illiterate". The best education is a Christian one centered around the Bible. No education is complete without studying the Bible.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Ozichim(m): 7:56am On May 31, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

I don't like bullies, or people that look down on other people.

A couple of decades ago, people were making these same noises when interracial marriage was legalized. It was wrong then, and it is wrong now.

I am not gay, so why should I care who another man is intimate with? Worrying about who other men are intimate with must make you even more gay than them. Are you jealous of them or something?
U should be sorry for ur self. U are not gay and you don't care about it in the society. U are so careless. Some people are interested to maintain the morality slandered of the society. Naturally opposite charges should attract each other and same charges should repel each other. I'm sure you don't also care about incest (Man sleeping with his mother and father sleeping with his daughter). Africans believe in God and God want purity and morally to be maintained. Bible prescribed death for any homosexual or lesbian. Sodomy is not new, God completely destroyed Sodom & Gomorrah because of evil such as this. We know that evil people don’t care about morality in the society. Many secret society fellows don’t care about morality in the society because everything is good and evil (there is no good and there is no evil. They want to introduce sodomy and bring back babylon into the World. U should be sorry for ur self. U are not gay and you don't care about it in the society. U are so careless. Some people are interested to maintain the morality slandered of the society. Naturally opposite charges should attract each other and same charges should repel each other. I'm sure you don't also care about incest (Man sleeping with his mother and father sleeping with his daughter). Africans believe in God and God want purity and morally to be maintained. Bible prescribed death for any homosexual or lesbian. Sodomy is not new, God completely destroyed Sodom & Gomorrah because of evil such as this. We know that evil people don’t care about morality in the society. Many secret society fellows don’t care about morality in the society because everything is good and evil (there is not good and there is not evil. We are not ignorant of the devises of the enemy.
Repent and give your life to Christ or you perish and go to hell.

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Kingharzyz(m): 7:57am On May 31, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: Too late. The world has gone far too gay for Nigeria to do anything about it. Wait till they start giving state banquet and reception to foreign gay presidents and dignitaries. Na so arab people misbehave with anti-women law and US sent them a female secretary of state, Madeleine Albright. See their people they look them for TV dey bow for Madeleine, dey throw red carpet for her, dey salute her.
fool so you mean the arabs don't respect women.....
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by goyston: 8:00am On May 31, 2013
onitshaigbo:

Make No Mistake: Homosexuality is a crime warranting the death penalty according the Bible.

Leviticus 19:28 says no tattoos, Leviticus 19:19 says no mixed fabrics (look at your shirt label right now), 1 Timothy 2:9 says women shouldn't braid their hair or wear gold or pearls, Leviticus 11 says you can't eat lobster, shrimp, clam, pig, rabbit and most birds, Leviticus 19:16 says no gossip, and Exodus 31:14-15 says that anyone who works on a Sunday shall be put to death, including doing something simple like cleaning up sticks (and Numbers 15:32-36 agrees). Oh, and women can't speak in church (1 Corinthians 14:34-35).

You can also be put to death for saying the Lord's name in vain, living in a town where most people aren't Christian, striking or cursing your parents, being a stubborn child, and being drunk, says the Bible.

If we are going to kill all the gays because the Bible says so, I hope we're also going to kill all the people who break any of these laws too. How many people would we have left? But this is what the Bible says to do...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Buhari Receives Investigated Report Of Suspended SGF & DG Of NIA From Osinbajo / Segalink To EFCC: 'To Probe Tinubu, You Don’t Need Petition' / It’s Time To Arrest Jonathan — Lagos APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.