Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,504 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows (27516 Views)

Husband Forced To Marry Wife’s Corpse In Ebonyi / Pastor Marries Corpse Of Church Member He Impregnated In Akwa Ibom / Young Widows Open Up On Their Life And Séx (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by onyewec3: 9:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
rooftech: this is igbo culture not akwa ibom

Shut your trap.how do know its igbo culture.igbos only shave widow's hair but not drinking water frm bathing the corpse.thats a typical of some part of akwa ibom and that's why the govt of the state is abolishing it.

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

maybe they should only take a small sample of the water, boil it and then drink a drop from a testube. my 2 cents. tongue

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Ndipe(m): 11:03pm On Jun 02, 2013

I have always known this to be an igbo culture not an akwa ibom culture, thanks for also pointing that out as well. Journalist in Nigeria should do their work by investigating because their readers might be inclined to believe every story they put out there.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by tpia5: 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2013
lorretta u: u make me laugh. grin so let me get this straight.if I marry an akwa ibom man,and he dies.if I refuse to drink water used to wash his corpse and I refuse to let the village chiefs shave my pubic hair,I'll be ostracised?
Ok when I'm done laughing,I might consider giving that nonsense a befitting response

i wonder why you're arguing.

do you feel strong or something?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Raypawer(m): 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2013
190: No wonder that state is so backward!

okoro, are u a learner to call A.ibom backward, ..

Watch ur mouth, we are not backward...

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by tpia5: 11:13pm On Jun 02, 2013
lorretta u: I'll marry wherever I choose.any bumbling old fo:ol who think they can limp from their thatch huts to my compound and dictate what happens will find themselves in a quagmire deeper than they ever imagined.as for cutting down to size,that your remark I'm gonna leave it unattended.

you should.

i'm just amused by the way you're going on and on here, you never encounter, i suppose.

you still dey think say all nigeria na beans, because perhaps you're used to the soft parts of town.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 02, 2013
tpia@:

i wonder why you're arguing.

do you feel strong or something?

LWKMD!! grin grin
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by tpia5: 11:21pm On Jun 02, 2013
i tell ya, many nigerians do not know nigeria.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jun 02, 2013
Why should this act be a culture in the first place?

Pathogens, caused by bad hygiene was discovered roughly 200 years ago, and that information was passed round the colonies.

Health science came into being and I'm sure our great grand fathers from Akwa Ibom were beneficiaries of it....

Why they didn't change it at the time still surprises me.....

It's one thing to know, it's also another thing to use what you know to change ur life....
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Itydee(m): 11:35pm On Jun 02, 2013
Those guys in the state assembly have nothing to do. They are lazy and, in want of what to make themselves relevant passed the silly bill. There is no drinking of corpse water in Akwa Ibom neither is anybody's mother's pubic hair shaved in public. Would you allow your mother's hair to be shaved by elders in your family. I have never in all my fifty something years heard of it anywhere. Stay corrected. These Legislators are just callous and silly. they try to paint our noble customs and cultures in bad light just to score cheap political popularity. I so detest the thieving bunch. undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by ba7man(m): 11:47pm On Jun 02, 2013
As if loosing a husband isn't bad enough, they also have to make the widow drink his dead body flavoured water It a damn shame.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 03, 2013
It is interesting to read all the commentaries especially that of Akwaibomites shouting that this is Igbo culture and not Akwa Ibom when the article clearly talks about Akwa Ibom.
Most of you shout Igbo because nollywood has portrayed this in many movies so it looks like a common occurrence when it is far from it

I am Igbo
My grandfather died 15 years prior to my grandma.Neither my grandmother nor my grandpas other wives were subjected to such
Like you all,I also saw it in a nollywood movie
I would dare you to find how many Igbos who have seen it happen.

But I know it must be true in some quarters because there are articles online that say so
I have posted a link to articles online telling us it is not only practiced in parts of Igboland but also parts of Edo,Delta,Rivers and Yorubaland
It is obviously not a very common tradition so many may just be hearing about it.

Wicked widowhood practices abound in may areas of Nigeria and they ought to be abolished .

There was a thread we had back in the day here on nairaland
Take time and read it if you can and it will open your eyes to what widows go through even in your locality
In Edo,some widows are forced to sleep besides the corpse for some days to prove their innocence
In some parts of Yorubaland,they are made to go without bathing for days and forced to marry arelative of the husband
In some parts of Anambra some widows are made to stay in a cage during the mourning period,some lose all the property of their husbands
Almost all southerners to some degree have the culture of shaving the hair of the widows.

Here is that thread

https://www.nairaland.com/187909/wicked-widowhood-practices-must-abolished
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by everyday: 12:24am On Jun 03, 2013
I cannot believe that in this part of the world people still do such disgusting things
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 12:30am On Jun 03, 2013
Jesus Christ of Nazareth! So people really do that? cry cry cry cry cry cry

*throws away my food*....I can't eat anymore angry angry
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 12:33am On Jun 03, 2013
funnyx:

That link and whoever put it up are 100% fake! Drinking of corpse's bath water by widows does not exist in Yoruba land and definitely not in Oyo state. I was born and I lived in the nooks and crannies of Yoruba land I've never see or heard of such practice.

Here is an article written byYorubas about widowhood practices in Yorubaland
The widows sampled here were from Ile Ife in Osun State
So next time you point fingers,remember this article,I also grew up in Igboland all my life and never heard of this until I saw it in a movie and decided to read up and saw articles that such things do exist in some quarters.
There is evil in the cultural practice in all areas of Nigeria
The article below tells you that pockets of the same evil culture exists even in your land.
Enjoy

Adekanye (1988) noted that among the Yorubas, the widow has to mourn for three, six, or even twelve months depending on the custom of the community. She may have to shave her head, wear black clothes and generally refrain from taking care of her person. At the end of the mourning period, she is inherited by a male relative of her dead husband,
just like the rest of the man's property. Fasoranti and Aruna, (2007) expressed that after the wailing periods, widows experienced several degradations and deprivation. [size=14pt]Among the Yorubas, the widow may be accused of killing her husband and therefore could be asked to swear with either the Holy Quran or the Holy Bible to prove their innocence. She could also be asked to drink the water used for washing the corpse in order to prove her innocence the more[/size].

The process and duration of mourning, wearing dull brown to black clothes without having bath could last from seven days to two weeks while the duration for wearing dark cloths ranges from three months to a year. A widow is also expected to express the sorrow through crying and often falling into the ready hands of others surrounding her to prevent her from injuring herself. She is thereafter expected to go into seclusion for seven days during which she is not expected to wash herself or change her clothes. She may be expected to unweave her hair, have a low-cut, shorn or scrape her hair as a sign of severing bonds between her and her death husband. The mourning period may last for forty days or four months (120 days) and the widow is expected to wear a pensive look and be clad in black attire to all public places. She sits on bare floor or a mat at best. In some Yoruba communities, she is expected to eat from broken plates and cook with broken pots (Fasoranti and Aruna, 2007). At this period, it will be ascertained whether or not the widow is pregnant. At the end of forty days, three month or four month as the case may be, the final rites are performed for the widow after which, she is free to remarry. These final rites include being washed in the night after having the final wailing, making some rituals which are expected to finally put the spirit of the departed to final rest and the "outing", which involves change of dresses and being led to the market.

....."I was given the water used to bath my husband's corpse to drink to prove my innocence of his death. I slept on bare floor for seven days and wore black cloth for almost one year. My husband's family also ceased all our properties and left me naked with three children". Widow, 56 years, Christian, primary School completed, self employed

Read more: http://www.readperiodicals.com/201012/2187713301.html#ixzz2V6Y6TKGi
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 12:49am On Jun 03, 2013
tpia@:
i tell ya, many nigerians do not know nigeria.

You got that right
Other localities still doing this evil should follow the akwaIbom example if they haven't .
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Yorubaman40: 12:51am On Jun 03, 2013
See, despite Akpabios preoccupation with NGF wahala, he has not forgotten his primary assignment at home. Hardworking governor.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by funnyx(m): 12:59am On Jun 03, 2013
babyosisi:

Here is an article written byYorubas about widowhood practices in Yorubaland
So next time you point fingers,remember this article,I also grew up in Igboland All my life and never heard of this until I saw it in a movie and decided to read up and saw articles that such things do exist in some quarters.
There is evil in the cultural practice in all areas of Nigeria
The article below tells you that pockets of the same evil culture exists even in your land.
Enjoy

Adekanye (1988) noted that among the Yorubas, the widow has to mourn for three, six, or even twelve months depending on the custom of the community. She may have to shave her head, wear black clothes and generally refrain from taking care of her person. At the end of the mourning period, she is inherited by a male relative of her dead husband,
just like the rest of the man's property. Fasoranti and Aruna, (2007) expressed that after the wailing periods, widows experienced several degradations and deprivation. [size=14pt]Among the Yorubas, the widow may be accused of killing her husband and therefore could be asked to swear with either the Holy Quran or the Holy Bible to prove their innocence. She could also be asked to drink the water used for washing the corpse in order to prove her innocence the more[/size].

The process and duration of mourning, wearing dull brown to black clothes without having bath could last from seven days to two weeks while the duration for wearing dark cloths ranges from three months to a year. A widow is also expected to express the sorrow through crying and often falling into the ready hands of others surrounding her to prevent her from injuring herself. She is thereafter expected to go into seclusion for seven days during which she is not expected to wash herself or change her clothes. She may be expected to unweave her hair, have a low-cut, shorn or scrape her hair as a sign of severing bonds between her and her death husband. The mourning period may last for forty days or four months (120 days) and the widow is expected to wear a pensive look and be clad in black attire to all public places. She sits on bare floor or a mat at best. In some Yoruba communities, she is expected to eat from broken plates and cook with broken pots (Fasoranti and Aruna, 2007). At this period, it will be ascertained whether or not the widow is pregnant. At the end of forty days, three month or four month as the case may be, the final rites are performed for the widow after which, she is free to remarry. These final rites include being washed in the night after having the final wailing, making some rituals which are expected to finally put the spirit of the departed to final rest and the "outing", which involves change of dresses and being led to the market.

Read more: http://www.readperiodicals.com/201012/2187713301.html#ixzz2V6Y6TKGi

Firstly, where in any of my posts do you ever see me make any general statement about a tribe or 'point a finger'
The practice of inheriting wives exists in many cultures for century so how is that a Yoruba thing? Having said that that practice has disappeared even before they stop putting tribal marks on children.
On the issue of inheriting properties of the dead, that just as the other is no longer being widely practiced and definitely not a Yoruba thing.
Lastly, regarding swearing of oath by the Widows that practice is very rare especially in this day and age, its definitely not rampant, its restricted to families who suspect the wife as the killer. In fact it is within the right of the wife to refuse on religious grounds and no one can force her. The normal widow rites involves staying at home for 40 days and even its not usually enforced. So the drinking of corpse water is extremely rare if at all it exist in Yoruba land and definitely will not warrant a legislation.

I really don't know why you're always quick to drag Yoruba into any argument because in the first instance the thread is about akwa ibom and not Yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 1:03am On Jun 03, 2013
funnyx:

Firstly, where in any of my posts do you ever see me make any general statement about a tribe or 'point a finger'
The practice of inheriting wives exists in many cultures for century so how is that a Yoruba thing? Having said that that practice has disappeared even before they stop putting tribal marks on children.
On the issue of inheriting properties of the dead, that just as the other is no longer being widely practiced and definitely not a Yoruba thing.
Lastly, regarding swearing of oath by the Widows that practice is very rare especially in this day and age, its definitely not rampant, its restricted to families who suspect the wife as the killer. In fact it is within the right of the wife to refuse on religious grounds and no one can force her. The normal widow rites involves staying at home for 40 days and even its not usually enforced. So the drinking of corpse water is extremely rare if at all it exist in Yoruba land and definitely will not warrant a legislation.

I really don't know why you're always quick to drag Yoruba into any argument because in the first instance the thread is about akwa ibom and not Yoruba land.

The most important thing is that you saw the evidence you were looking for
I responded to someone pointing fingers
You said I made up the link that it could never be in Yorubaland,I showed you proof and now you say it must be rare ,I believe you,that must also be the situation in these other places.
We have all been educated,haven't we?
Even if it is just one widow subjected to practices anywhere in Igboland,Yorubaland,Akwai Ibom,Rivers ,Delta or Edo it is one too many.
Have a great week

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by funnyx(m): 1:13am On Jun 03, 2013
babyosisi:

The most important thing is that you saw the evidence you were looking for
I responded to someone pointing fingers
You said I made up the link that it could never be in Yorubaland,I showed you proof and now you say it's ,I believe you,that must also be the situation in these other places.
We have all been educated,haven't we?
Even if it is just one widow subjected to practices anywhere in Igboland,Yorubaland,Akwai Ibom,Rivers ,Delta or Edo it is one too many.
Have a great week

Baby, the link you provided shows no proof, the practices mentioned in the link is very ancient and absolutely dead. I agree with you though that if it's only one widow subjected to these practices anywhere its one too many.
Have a great week too cool

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 1:20am On Jun 03, 2013
funnyx:

Baby, the link you provided shows no proof, the practices mentioned in the link is very ancient and absolutely dead. I agree with you though that if it's only one widow subjected to these practices anywhere its one too many.
Have a great week too cool

Sure
Thanks for correcting me dear
2010 is so far away
What was I thinking lipsrsealed
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by funnyx(m): 1:30am On Jun 03, 2013
babyosisi:

Sure
Thanks for correcting me dear
2010 is so far away
What was I thinking lipsrsealed

He he he grin grin I like your sacarsm. He might have written the article this year that doesn't matter, the practices are dead simples. In fact even my aunt that lives deep inside a village in Ondo state when her husband died apart from the 40 days rites no one troubled her, also she inherited her husband's farms without any contest from his family members. If those practices are dead in villages where else does it exists? In cities like Ibadan, Abeokuta or Akure?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by 50calibre(m): 2:18am On Jun 03, 2013
lorretta u: u make me laugh. grin so let me get this straight.if I marry an akwa ibom man,and he dies.if I refuse to drink water used to wash his corpse and I refuse to let the village chiefs shave my pubic hair,I'll be ostracised?
Ok when I'm done laughing,I might consider giving that nonsense a befitting response

Ok keep laughing. When the time comes, it isn't just your pubic hairs that would be shaved, but your armpit and your head and it would be done with soap and razor blade. This things have been done to the strongest of women, you wouldn't be any different except you are willing to lose all you have.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Afam4eva(m): 5:40am On Jun 03, 2013
Nuzo':
I have ancestorial homes in Abia, Enugu and most especially Ebonyi. I know all their respective cultures and one of them is NOT drinking corpse water. So, I get confused when folks think all Igbos practice such dirty culture.

Good move Akwa-Ibom.
Any tradition is is found in just one village in Igboland is termed Igbo culture not minding that other parts of Igboland may not be practicing such.

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Afam4eva(m): 5:41am On Jun 03, 2013
jaytime: In as much as this act is babaric and unacceptable, it is neither a culture, tradition nor common practice in Akwa Ibom or any where. It is just a means through which some wicked family members try to force a widow accused of having hand in her husband's death to swear to proof her innocence.
I see people commenting here as if it is an everyday tradition. It is not a tradition o; call it a wicked act....
Can you define what culture and tradition is?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Afam4eva(m): 5:45am On Jun 03, 2013
funnyx:

That link and whoever put it up are 100% fake! Drinking of corpse's bath water by widows does not exist in Yoruba land and definitely not in Oyo state. I was born and I lived in the nooks and crannies of Yoruba land I've never see or heard of such practice.
I was also born in Enugu and i'm from there and i have never heard or seen such practice in display. But they say it exists somewhere. It may be true or may not be. I mustn't know everything that happens in Enugu just like you mustn't know everything that happens in Oyo.

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Afam4eva(m): 5:54am On Jun 03, 2013
Ndipe:

I have always known this to be an igbo culture not an akwa ibom culture, thanks for also pointing that out as well. Journalist in Nigeria should do their work by investigating because their readers might be inclined to believe every story they put out there.
You have always known it thought it to be Igbo culture because Igbo is a big tribe and whatever happens there is accentuated unlike the smaller tribes around it. The truth is that Igbos and especially Annang/Efik/Ibibio share a lot of things in common with Igbos, so it won't be surprising that they share a common practice. So, the fact that a lot of people think such practice to be Igbo doesn't mean it's not found in other tribes. This also does not imply that it's found in all Igbo and Akwa-Cross communities. I for one have only seen it in the movies and never heard of it happening anywhere in Igboland. But i could be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by godrate(m): 7:25am On Jun 03, 2013
men keeping this traditions are damn wicked,they are devilish,diety worshippers and murderers.do widowers drink this dirty water?may God help us.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by funnyx(m): 8:22am On Jun 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
I was also born in Enugu and is from there and i have never heard or seen such practice in display. But they say it exists somewhere. It may be true or may not be. I mustn't know everything that happens in Enugu just like you mustn't know everything that happens in Oyo.

Of course you are right if I live Ibadan I cannot know everything happening in Ibadan, I obviously cannot know when someone in Mokola just got a job if I live in Ring Road neither can I know that a lady just broke up with his boyfriend in Bodija. cool
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by emmabest2000(m): 8:53am On Jun 03, 2013
Are u alright ? Or your monthly medicine don finished ?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by tuktuij: 9:17am On Jun 03, 2013
The real pepetrators are in the remote villages not the city so I hope they will embark on an enlightenment programe to get the message to those who really need to hear it not just making laws in the city.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Ajekpako(m): 9:22am On Jun 03, 2013
A commendable move by the house. this should be passed all over the country!

a man's property should automatically go to his wife & kids except in a situation where a will says otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

6 Mistakes You Make That Makes Your Day Unproductive / Cry From The Grave - Ogo's Story / Son Squanders N2m Raised For Father's Burial, Abandons Corpse In Mortuary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.