Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows (27522 Views)

Husband Forced To Marry Wife’s Corpse In Ebonyi / Pastor Marries Corpse Of Church Member He Impregnated In Akwa Ibom / Young Widows Open Up On Their Life And Séx (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by prettiest1(f): 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2013
I've never heard this happen in Aks. The only thing I hear some family members to the deceased do if they suspect the wife as being responsible for the husband's death is that, she will swear by the corpse (like people do say, I swear to God or use sand to swear) but not drinking the water used in bathing the body. For hair shaving, I've not heard nor seen it happen before.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by azezola(m): 3:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
evil christians look at what they r doing

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by AGgal(f): 3:45pm On Jun 02, 2013
190: No wonder that state is so backward!
Which state oga 190?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by dembasule: 3:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
:oThat is wickedness
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by SPSpecial(m): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
Whhaaaattttt!!! OMG..... Drink the bathed water of a dead body. Thanks goodwill for killing the act. It really better to not marry an ak city widow....men undecidedWhhaaaattttt!!! OMG..... Drink the bathed water of a dead body. Thanks godswill for killing the act. It really better to not marry an ak city widow....men
Whhaaaattttt!!! OMG..... Drink the bathed water of a dead body. Thanks goodwill for killing the act. It really better to not marry an ak city widow....men undecidedWhhaaaattttt!!! OMG..... Drink the bathed water of a dead body. Thanks godswill for killing the act. It really better to not marry an ak city widow....men
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Yenex(f): 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mbok i'm an Akwa ibomite and things are not done anywhere in Akwa ibom or Cross river.my uncle ws buried last week and none of this things written here was done...'op kpeme idem nfo o'
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Gamji007: 4:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
ujchief:

Hypocrite!!! You've been canvassing all over nairaland for everyone to embrace their cultural root and religion; to abolish the burrowed cultures and religion of islam and christianity. Now, you've been shown the real religion and culture of the Afrikan and you are shivering and panicking.

Bloody hypocrite!!! Odinani religion my foot!!!

You got the hypocrite cheesy
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by deols(f): 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2013
Making laws is easy, enforcing them is the problem.

although late, this Is a good one from the Akwa Ibom government.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by lolaluv1(f): 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2013
All of such backward cultures should be scrapped.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 02, 2013
50calibre:

Hahaha! Then you better not marry from akwa Ibom, because you would be cut down to size. The shaving is not even done with clipper, but razor blade and that is just one in a long line of other rituals to be performed on you, one of which is passing a night with the corpse.
I'll marry wherever I choose.any bumbling old fo:ol who think they can limp from their thatch huts to my compound and dictate what happens will find themselves in a quagmire deeper than they ever imagined.as for cutting down to size,that your remark I'm gonna leave it unattended.but one advice for you,if you really want to live long,you should desist from making such remarks to ladies.you just might not know what'll hit you.and you'd be six feet below before you realize your life-long mistake.you've been warned.I wouldn't like to see your son coming to nairaland in future to MY MOTHER KILLED MY FATHER.I'll say to myself,'I warned him'
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by coolzeal(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
The headline says Akwa Ibom but some peeps are quick to mention or criticize the Igbos, sometimes i wonder the hate. You guys do realize that in Igbo culture its varies from state to locality though we might be highly connected in some of our cultures and tradition. My locality does not practice such and when someone of your bloodline or family memeber dies, we all shave our hair, tie wrapper around our waist, wear mourning clothes and that include men and women though one can still abstain from shaving their hair if they want.

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by deols(f): 4:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
ujchief:

Hypocrite!!! You've been canvassing all over nairaland for everyone to embrace their cultural root and religion; to abolish the burrowed cultures and religion of islam and christianity. Now, you've been shown the real religion and culture of the Afrikan and you are shivering and panicking.

Ouch! That is deep grin grin
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by eagleeye2: 4:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ALUU FOUR KILLERS? www.nairaland.com/1310532/what-happened-aluu-4-killers

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by kepsi123(m): 4:09pm On Jun 02, 2013
I am cross riverian married in AKS. Been in AKS for 23yrs. Please can someone tell me where in this state that people drink this bath water? Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by tpapi: 4:09pm On Jun 02, 2013
rooftech: this is igbo culture not akwa ibom
someone who has not seen other people's farm wil think his father's farm is d biggest
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by funnyx(m): 4:13pm On Jun 02, 2013
babyosisi:

[size=16pt]For those shouting Igbo[/size] you may have to point at yourselves grin

[size=14pt]2. Ritual in Which a Widow Drinks the Water Used to Clean Her Husband's Corpse

Sources from 2010 to 2012 indicate that the ritual in which a widow drinks the water used to clean her husband's corpse continues to be practiced in various locations and among various groups in Nigeria, including:[/size]

Edo State (Historian 5 Oct. 2012);
Delta State (Delta State 2010);
some eastern states of Nigeria (Leadership 27 Aug. 2011);
the southeast of Nigeria (Onyekuru 2011, 356);
among the Igbo ethnic group (Samuel 2009; Researcher 5 Oct. 2012); and
among the Yoruba ethnic group (Aransiola 2010).

However, some sources suggest that this ritual is no longer as prevalent as it was in the past

http://www.ecoi.net/local_link/232051/340634_en.html

That link and whoever put it up are 100% fake! Drinking of corpse's bath water by widows does not exist in Yoruba land and definitely not in Oyo state. I was born and I lived in the nooks and crannies of Yoruba land I've never see or heard of such practice.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by texazzpete(m): 4:15pm On Jun 02, 2013
Why are some people praising the state Governor? For the entirety of his first term, he did nothing to curb this issue. All he has done now is to sign the bill into law after it was already introduced and passed by the State legislature.

Or is it not the same Akpabio that put a significant amount of energy into attacking the NGO that has been in the forefront of tackling the Akwa Ibom 'Child witch' persecution.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by lolaluv1(f): 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2013
coolzeal: The headline says Akwa Ibom but some peeps are quick to mention or criticize the Igbos, sometimes i wonder the hate. You guys do realize that in Igbo culture its varies from state to locality though we might be highly connected in some of our cultures and tradition. My locality does not practice that and when someone of your bloodline or family memeber dies, we all shave our hair, tie wrapper around our waist, wear mourning clothes and that include men and women though one can still abstain from shaving their hair if they want.

There are so many misconceptions about the Ibo people and culture and you guys are not even helping matters. You are divided amongst yourselves and you don't educate people to understand you better. You just say there are many tribes in Iboland and it's not my tribe that practices that, fullstop.

Even Kwane people will tell you they don't like Ibos. :/
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by deols(f): 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2013
You 'd think their Catholicism would have stopped this practice.

I wonder how these cultures make the woman victim at all time. Why is the man never asked to drink her bath water.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by dilim247: 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2013
dats what 9ja films teach u! Which part of Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by condralbede(m): 4:21pm On Jun 02, 2013
its an igbo culture indeed,bt from ur maternal thr side....nkpi
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by RealSleek(m): 4:24pm On Jun 02, 2013
Buoyantic: u well atall?

Its you dt need ur head checked...nofin is offensive in my post...I wish u cud say dt to my face in real life..u won't ask dt foolish question ever again..
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 02, 2013
obadiah777: YOU ALSO EAT POO WITHOUT KNOWING IT. LISTEN, THERE IS A FINITE AMOUNT OF 'RESOURCES' IN THE EARTH. ENERGY IS NEVER DESTROYED BUT IT IS TRANSFORMED INTO SOMETHING ELSE. SO ALSO IS EVERYTHING ON EARTH. NOTHING IS WASTED. IT ALL TRANSFORMS. THE POO OF 7 BILLION PEOPLE WHEN FLUSHED IN THE TOILET RETURNS TO THE SEA AND FROM THAT SAME SEA IS WHERE YOUR WATER SUPPLY COMES FROM BUT IT IS TREATED. ALL AM TRYING TO TELL YOU IN A POLITE MANNER, BRAH IS YOU HAVE EATEN MY POO BEFORE BUT YOU JUST DONT KNOW IT grin grin grin grin
LMAO..Ediot.. U AV EATEN MA POO TOO AND U KNOW IT

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Ashlyy20(f): 4:25pm On Jun 02, 2013
It is nt an igbo culture o we r nt stupid nd barbaric

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by coolzeal(m): 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2013
lola.luv:

There are so many misconceptions about the Ibo people and culture and you guys are not even helping matters. You are divided amongst yourselves and you don't educate people to understand you better. You just say there are many tribes in Iboland and it's not my tribe that practices that, fullstop.

There's a reason why words like(questions) exist if someone is confuse or ignorant about something and in Nigeria, a lot of people does not put in much effort to learn about other tribes either and of course generalization emerges. Igbo is a tribe with large localities that varies in some culture plus there's no disunity among the people, that's just a political jingoism.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by jaytime(m): 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

MAY ALL MIGHTY GOD BLESS THEE IN ABUNDANCE!
and bless you too. People just like commenting on issues based on what is summarized in the news without trying to find out how it is applied. For me o, I've never seen or heared of this dastardly act of a widow given corpse water to drink (i.e. swear) anywhere in this country. We only watch it in home videos. That's not to say it doesnt happen; but it's very rare. If it is the seizure of properties from widows, that one happens almost like everyday and everywhere. But surprisingly nobody here is condemning that one. It is the one that will give them opportunity to cast aspersion on one another that they pay attention to. What a tribal people we have here. And we are the same people that cry most over racial abuse at the global level. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2013
lorretta u: I'll marry wherever I choose.any bumbling old fo:ol who think they can limp from their thatch huts to my compound and dictate what happens will find themselves in a quagmire deeper than they ever imagined.as for cutting down to size,that your remark I'm gonna leave it unattended.but one advice for you,if you really want to live long,you should desist from making such remarks to ladies.you just might not know what'll hit you.and you'd be six feet below before you realize your life-long mistake.you've been warned.I wouldn't like to see your son coming to nairaland in future to MY MOTHER KILLED MY FATHER.I'll say to myself,'I warned him'

Whats all the noise and rambling for? And who are you threatening online?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 02, 2013
lola.luv:

What's your point?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by realitiescom(m): 4:35pm On Jun 02, 2013
190: No wonder that state is so backward!
What a retarded nincompop, where are u from sef ?
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by thelonestranger: 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2013

Whaaaaat! These ibo and akwa people are animals I swear. Na so our dog disappear one day! Mtchew.
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2013
No wonder akpabio had to ban it for the igbos. Which house of assembly approved that again? Abia?, imo?,anambara ? Or enugu....
Re: Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:41pm On Jun 02, 2013
ujchief:

How is this real religion and culture of all Africans? undecided

its just some strange cultural practice. it has no religious significane, neither is it ordained by the Gods, nor does it include killing people in the name of religion.

CHRSITIANITY BLOODY HELL MY FOOT!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

6 Mistakes You Make That Makes Your Day Unproductive / Cry From The Grave - Ogo's Story / Son Squanders N2m Raised For Father's Burial, Abandons Corpse In Mortuary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.