Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,053 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections (17840 Views)

How Rufus Akeju Coordinated The Rigging Of Oyo State Elections / Breaking News Inec Declares Imo State Elections Inconclusive / ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by UyiIredia(m): 1:16am On Jun 10, 2013
LagosShia:

please address your cleric.

his provocative and discriminatory call will only ensure that Yoruba muslims do not vote for a Christian contesting for governor in lagos state.i wonder if fashola as a muslim governor and the majority of the indigenes of lagos being muslims have tried to implement sharia law.lagos still remains the most attractive place to live in Nigeria and most welcoming and tolerant of all.

I think there are muslims (more reasonable than you) who'll vote for a good Christian candidate. I certainly hope you won't atrribute Lagos' successes to Islam. Your talk of Muslims being the majority could be wrong. Google it to confirm.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by LagosShia: 1:21am On Jun 10, 2013
tpia@:

first of all, please explain how he is my cleric.

then condemn his comments and disassociate yourself from him as you've done,and disown him.simple.i am only reacting to his comment.

i suspect you are actually not familiar with lagos at all.
youre very wrong.

like i said, and many others also, the religion of the governor is not a major issue, althuogh you clearly want to make it so as part of your five point agenda no doubt.
not true.but obviously youre reasonanle enough to know that trying to make the post of governor inlagos based on religion would not favor Christians.you are playing it smart here.

majority of indigenous lagosians are muslims, hence the reason for a muslim governor.

good,youre honest enough to admit unlike your fellow citing Wikipedia as his source.

i'm sure that's your aim.
and so?

am I not entitled to my beliefs? isn't it part of freedom to choose?

i wonder how long it will remain that way. undecided

for as long as the people want that.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by LagosShia: 1:22am On Jun 10, 2013
delete
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tbaba1234: 1:22am On Jun 10, 2013
tpia@:

my tolerance or whose tolerance?

please clarify that first before we engage in the thread spamming competition, anything you pull up can be matched thread for thread.

and PLEASE do not attach atheist anti-muslim threads to your list.

You said: christians are known for their tolerance

So your comment was not specific to you.

And I am not talking about atheists, I am talking about christians on Nairaland. Go to the Islam section, How many christians actively make threads just to malign islam and muslims?

Compare to the number of muslims making anti-christian threads.

Now, i know that there are many upright outstanding people of the christian faith but my stay on Nairaland has shown me that there is also a good percentage of intolerant, hateful Christians and there is more than enough evidence to prove that.

Just read any muslim topic that makes front page.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by LagosShia: 1:31am On Jun 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

A case of poor reasoning by hasty generalization. Just because a cleric behaved that way doesn't mean Christians in general are like that. Also make sure to do a little research before making erroneous comments. Yoruba muslims ARE NOT more than Christians.

"The Yoruba people are the most numerous in the southwest.
Over half of the Yorubas are Christian and about a quarter are
Muslim, with the remainder hold traditional Yoruba views. The
predominantly Christian Igbo are the largest ethnic group in the
southeast. "

- from [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria]Wikipedia[/url]

you have only displayed utter fanaticism by citing Wikipedia to cushion your wet dreams in making Christians the majority in Yoruba land.

Wikipedia doesn't cite any source as reference for that claim.within 5 minutes or less I can dispute the above on Wikipedia and get it either labeled as doubtful or totally erased.i can also edit that write up and state that lagos state has an indigenous population that is 90% muslim and an overall population that is 80% muslim.from experience and good sources,the indigenous Yoruba population of lagos and the south west at large is majority muslim,like it or hate it.the only geo-political zones where Christians in Nigeria form the majority are the two smallest zones in landmass and population: the south east and south south geo-political zones.and to further emphasize,if not for about 40% of voters in the predominantly muslim north voting for jonathan,a Christian cannot also be president of Nigeria itself.so be mindful of your hate for and provocation against innocent,peace loving and god-fearing ordinary muslims who are the majority in the muslim community,way more than the extremists that form the majority in the Christian community unlike the muslim community in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tpia5: 1:33am On Jun 10, 2013
LagosShia:

then condemn his comments and disassociate yourself from him as you've done,and disown him.simple.i am only reacting to his comment.

like i said, he stated his opinion, its not illegal to do so at the moment of typing. undecided

most of the christians on the thread have stated over and over they do not agree with his view, why are you on the offensive? Are you afraid of a christian governor?

youre very wrong.

I dont think i am.

nuff said.

not true.but obviously youre reasonanle enough to know that trying to make the post of governor inlagos based on religion would not favor Christians.you are playing it smart here.

again, like i pointed out, most of the christians on the thread disagreed with him. What else do you want people to do? There is no need to get hyper over an opinion unless you're afraid the polls will reflect his view?

good,youre honest enough to admit unlike your fellow citing Wikipedia as his source.

i dont know who you're referring to since i didnt read the entire thread.

however, i dont think its a secret most native lagosians are muslim?

and so?

am I not entitled to my beliefs? isn't it part of freedom to choose?

your beliefs and so-called "freedom to choose" in this case/thread, are intended to stir up civil strife and create an avenue for religious unrest. Not cool. undecided You made your first post swinging, as it were, and immediately started off by castigating and insulting christians.

i always ask, do you folks consider yourselves wiser than those who went before you?

for as long as the people want that.

obviously, some people are aiming to overturn the system?
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by UyiIredia(m): 1:39am On Jun 10, 2013
tbaba1234:

And I am not talking about atheists, I am talking about christians on Nairaland. Go to the Islam section, How many christians actively make threads just to malign islam and muslims?

Now, i know that there are many upright outstanding people of the christian faith but my stay on Nairaland has shown me that there is also a good percentage of intolerant, hateful Christians and there is more than enough evidence to prove that.

Actually Christians are more liberal and tolerant than Muslims. Muslims tend to be conservative. They don't engage in beauty pageants, fashion shows and sports (eg swimming or gymnastics) or reality TV shows since this involves what they consider indecent. Islamic terror groups are well-known. The Religion section DOESN'T include a warning against posts offensive to Christianity but we find that in the Islam For Muslims thread.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tpia5: 1:40am On Jun 10, 2013
tbaba1234:

i was responding to lagosshia's post, which was an open attack on christians.

yes, christians are known for tolerance, its not necessarily a good thing.

like i said, anything you pull up can be matched thread for thread with anti-christian ones opened by muslims.

the search function can help you out there.

my stay on nairaland has shown me there are hateful intolerant people, end of.

if you are hateful and intolerant by nature, you're hateful and intolerant, religion can just provide a cover for you to justify your criminality and genetic makeup, that's all.

i dont always pay attention to what makes front page and i barely visit religion these days, so i have no idea what you mean.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tpia5: 1:41am On Jun 10, 2013
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by LagosShia: 1:44am On Jun 10, 2013
tpia@:

like i said, he stated his opinion, its not illegal to do so at the moment of typing.

i dont know who you're referring to since i didnt read the entire thread.

however, i dont think its a secret most native lagosians are muslim?

im referring to "uyi iredia".

your beliefs and so-called "freedom to choose" in this case/thread, are intended to stir up civil strife and create an avenue for religious unrest. Not cool. undecided You made your first post swinging, as it were, and immediately started off by castigating and insulting christians.

and there goes the hypocrisy and the same display of fanaticism against muslims that I have talked about.

when a Christian made an inciting,discriminatory,outragious and silly statement,you said:

"like i said, he stated his opinion, its not illegal to do so at the moment of typing."

but when I proclaim Islam,i am "stirring strife" and "creating an avenue for civil unrest".let it be known to you if you do not know: sharia, islam,and islamic rules are meant for muslims alone to uphold.they are not meant to be imposed on Christians.that is wrong and that is what I can tell you as both a proud Muslim and a proud Shia.whoever uses Islam as an excuse to stir strife or create civil unrest by oppressing others is neither upholding the sharia nor practicing islam.if you have the wrong idea about islam and sharia law for whatever reason,then correct it,and also muslims (majority of them) need to be orientated on islam.islamic laws are meant for muslims to uphold because they have declared faith in Allah and accepted islam.however you cant force a Christian to close his shop on Friday or not to drink alcohol,because he is not part of islam and the laws of islam don't apply on him.the Quran says "let there be no compulsion in religion".
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by LagosShia: 1:47am On Jun 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Actually Christians are more liberal and tolerant than Muslims. Muslims tend to be conservative. They don't engage in beauty pageants, fashion shows and sports (eg swimming or gymnastics) or reality TV shows since this involves what they consider indecent. Islamic terror groups are well-known. The Religion section DOESN'T include a warning against posts offensive to Christianity but we find that in the Islam For Muslims thread.

you are going off topic by talking nonsense.even at that compare an educated Yoruba Christian and an educated Yoruba muslim.you will see the difference and get your answers.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by klovesh: 1:49am On Jun 10, 2013
Mr Lagoshia, na wa for you o.

Did you read the preceding posts before writing your diatribe? People have condemned what the man said, christians inclusive. What do you expect again? We should go and kill him?

If you have pent up anger inside you already, then I guess you have just been looking for the slightest opportunity to rant. This is a cleric that I am sure most christians have never even heard of before.

How many of reports like this have you read in the last one year? Or what makes you to generalise so fast.

You actually need to learn the meaning of objectivity as you remarked in your earlier post. Your post stood objectivity on its head.

Sorry about your anger

1 Like

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tbaba1234: 1:52am On Jun 10, 2013
@tpia, you are being dishonest

You know this place would have been turned into something else if a muslim made those comments. If that is an example of christian tolerance then it isn't so great (putting it very mildly).

Anyway, The thread has derailed enough. later

1 Like

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by LagosShia: 1:53am On Jun 10, 2013
klovesh: Mr Lagoshia, na wa for you o.

Did you read the preceding posts before writing your diatribe? People have condemned what the man said, christians inclusive. What do you expect again? We should go and kill him?

If you have pent up anger inside you already, then I guess you have just been looking for the slightest opportunity to rant. This is a cleric that I am sure most christians have never even heard of before.

How many of reports like this have you read in the last one year? Or what makes you to generalise so fast.

You actually need to learn the meaning of objectivity as you remarked in your earlier post. Your post stood objectivity on its head.

Sorry about your anger

imagine if the cleric was any muslim making a similar statement? nairaland with all its agberos and miscreants would be on fire with insults against islam and muslims as it often happens.

others have condemned his statement and I am also condemning it.and it is not the first time Christians even on nairaland have raised this topic of discrimination.the anger you are accusing me of and in fact coupled with jealousy is in your fellows,not in me.

1 Like

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by UyiIredia(m): 2:26am On Jun 10, 2013
LagosShia:
you have only displayed utter fanaticism by citing Wikipedia to cushion your wet dreams in making Christians the majority in Yoruba land.

In fact, I spent some time on the NPC website to further verify my claim. I have requested for religious demographics of the South West. If I get the data I'll publish it here.

LagosShia: Wikipedia doesn't cite any source as reference for that claim.within 5 minutes or less I can dispute the above on Wikipedia and get it either labeled as doubtful or totally erased.

They do. Read well.

LagosShia: i can also edit that write up and state that lagos state has an indigenous population that is 90% muslim and an overall population that is 80% muslim.from experience and good sources,the indigenous Yoruba population of lagos and the south west at large is majority muslim,like it or hate it.the only geo-political zones where Christians in Nigeria form the majority are the two smallest zones in landmass and population: the south east and south south geo-political zones.and to further emphasize,if not for about 40% of voters in the predominantly muslim north voting for jonathan,a Christian cannot also be president of Nigeria itself.so be mindful of your hate for and provocation against innocent,peace loving and god-fearing ordinary muslims who are the majority in the muslim community,way more than the extremists that form the majority in the Christian community unlike the muslim community in Nigeria.

Unlike me, you have no online source to back up your claims, though I can agree Muslims are the majority in the North. I think it's ironic you say Christians are extremist (intolerant, yes; extremist, rarely) despite the fact that a well-known extremist group in the country is constituted by Muslims.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by UyiIredia(m): 2:30am On Jun 10, 2013
LagosShia:

you are going off topic by talking nonsense.even at that compare an educated Yoruba Christian and an educated Yoruba muslim.you will see the difference and get your answers.

Now, how do you get from talk about Muslims being conservative and intolerant, to comparisons between educated, Yoruba Muslims and Christians ?
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by Katsumoto: 2:31am On Jun 10, 2013
LagosShia: [b]let us look at this subject objectively.

what is it that fashola being a muslim have added to the muslims of lagos state,or decreased from the Christians of lagos state? I see no difference at all.fashola being a muslim have not led him to discriminate against Christians or made him to favor muslims.i have not seen that at all.from the mosques that were demolished about a year or so ago,and fashola's visits to churches and Christian orphanages,he hasn't done anything that undeservedly favor the muslims.in fact fashola being himself a muslim have provided him with the needed cover to do whatever he wishes and without having the blame of partiality laid on him by his fellow muslims.

this Christian cleric only is showing how bigoted and extreme Christians in Nigeria generally are.they are full of envy and jealousy against muslims,and they are at the same time very ignorant about islam and muslims that they cannot rightfully justify the words they utter to provoke muslims or the actions they undertake to offend muslims.this so called cleric who is very immature and irresponsible with no shame is asking for the alausa secretariat to be turned into a crusade center,going by the fanaticism the average Nigerian Christian displays coupled with his ignorance about islam and muslims.if he is not intending on evil,why would he make such a call and discriminate? it means this man needs a Christian in alausa to carry out plans he has that fashola or any neutral candidate would not commit to.going by the number of visits fashola makes to churches and Christian orphanages in the state,i wonder if a Christian governor can show such humility and make such effort to bring people closer.

it is time anyways for Yoruba muslims to wake up and see the tendency that Christians even among their own kin are displaying.they should be weary and do the necessary.after all by all account and common sense,yoruba muslims outnumber Yoruba Christians.we are not having muslims as governors in the south west because Christians are tolerant,but we are having Christians as governors in the south west because the Yoruba muslims are humble enough and have demonstrated tolerance and the spirit of co-existence as per the true teachings of Islam.you need to take plateau and taraba state as case study for you to appreciate what I am saying and see truth in it about Nigerian Christians and their bigoted views and fanaticism.of course I do not want to generalize and offend all Christians because I am not accusing all of them as there are still exceptions,but the majority of Nigerian Christians behave exactly as I have said.[/b]

What a load of rubbish. Are these incendiary comments really necessary? If you get away with such moronic comments in the religion and Islam sections, do not bring them to the politics section because you will be taken to task. I have no patience for religious bigotry from any section. Do not try to drive a wedge between Yoruba Christians and Muslims with such ludicrous comments. You have been warned.

Were you blind to the comments castigating the man? Or do you think all those comments were made by Muslims?

4 Likes

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tpia5: 4:43am On Jun 10, 2013
tbaba1234: @tpia, you are being dishonest

You know this place would have been turned into something else if a muslim made those comments. If that is an example of christian tolerance then it isn't so great (putting it very mildly).

Anyway, The thread has derailed enough. later

where is the example of the so-called christian intolerance which for now, currently exists only in your imagination?

you keep making reference to the "reaction" should a muslim cleric call for a muslim governor for lagos state ( do you realize how ridiculous you sound?). So far, you have produced no evidence of any such call, neither has there been any reaction save what you conjure up, yet you want to make a big issue and start trouble over an imaginary event?

if the place is turned into something else due to arguments over any topic, including non-religious ones, doesnt the site have moderators?

of course you know what you're doing!
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by bootlegaz: 4:43am On Jun 10, 2013
Yoruba Muslims are moderate and very tolerant of other religion. Such statement is very mischievous and it can be likened to that of Boko Haram followers calling for an Islamic state. The only religion Nigerians worship is corruption.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by Nobody: 5:05am On Jun 10, 2013
And that is how they will turn this issue to prayer point in their church. When there are so many more important things abt Nigeria to pray for.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by wwwkaycom(m): 5:18am On Jun 10, 2013
I second the motion of this man of God, I hereby nominate Deacon (Dr) Erastus Akingbola and Deaconess (Dr Mrs) Cecilia Ibru as governor and deputy governor respectively. These are great christian, remember the duo are close to many prominent christian pastors or papas who called then son/daughter and they are sound managers of men and resources, end of discussion, cheers!

1 Like

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by localexpat: 5:24am On Jun 10, 2013
What we want are visionary leaders that would build on the legacies of their predecessors.
Tinubu passed on the barton to a worthy sucessor,Fashola. Same can be said of Victor Attah to Godswil Akpabio. Oshiomole please do find a wothy sucessor when it is time to move on. Rochas so far I'm proud of what you've achieved in just 2years. You are building on the legacies of Sam Mbakwe.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by iwanchop(m): 5:41am On Jun 10, 2013
mtprofessor5: wetin concern CAN nw....y b say sum pple jst lik quarel paz fight?

Are u a learner ?Do you know what CAN is?Is the man not a member?
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by iwanchop(m): 5:48am On Jun 10, 2013
Akpan107: Lagos 2015: it must be a Christian governor or no lagos!!!

Akwa Ibom 2015:it must be a Muslim governor or no Akwa Ibom.

1 Like

Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by skyfall: 6:07am On Jun 10, 2013
This is an irresponsible statement coming from a so-called man of God. This is how they start religious problems. Mr Cleric, if you're reading this, you're a goat!
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by iwanchop(m): 6:12am On Jun 10, 2013
Akpan107: Lagos 2015: it must be a Christian governor or no lagos!!!
What is this?
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 10, 2013
bobthebuilder99: Don't bring this religious nonsense to Lagos. Keep that in the North and SE.
Is religion an issue in the north...

U and d cleric belong to d same category...
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by teniyi(m): 6:30am On Jun 10, 2013
There is need for a Muslim Governors to emerge in Edo, Ondo and Ondo State.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by tomber(m): 6:31am On Jun 10, 2013
paraphrasing: fashola is a good govn and we supported him all the way. Muslims have being gov all this while since democracy started in... and unforunately all those aspiring to be gov. aftr fash are also muslims. i think we christians are too apolitical. pls let b political minded so this guys dont make this seat a birthright. With all this happenns in nija one day they will begin to force themselv and religio on us,wen the spirit ofboko come over them. we must not overlook and underestimate them. so pls join political parties we will support you.
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by iwanchop(m): 6:37am On Jun 10, 2013
badmusaliu: Let's be alert ! This man is not talking alone, it is the tactics of "CAN" just to confirm the reaction of the people. Who are the terrorists now?

Oritsajefor will not see anything wrong in comments like this but will be quick to call Buhari a Boko Haram sponsor even though he has no proof
Re: Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections by Kingspin(m): 6:52am On Jun 10, 2013
Some are calling for muslim govnor in the SE or even SS i think thats a blind talk do u knw the statistic of christians in these zones i guess 95% if not more like other state in the country some have 30 to 40% of christians even in the so call north.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

24 Bad Pictures Of What Some Ladies Wore To Church / Saudi Prince Invitation : Osinbajo To Represent Buhari On Trip / How Cabal Foiled Daura’s Sack Before Buhari’s Vacation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.