Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal - Properties (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal (104457 Views)

Construction Journal | Browne Mews By Nexthome / My Construction Journal 2 / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (49) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 7:48am On Dec 27, 2013
Beyond Design: Our Journey to build the country home of Sir Q-1

Yes, finally! The construction of Sir Qc-1's country home in the heart of Ikorodu, Lagos has already started. Actually, this is a late post. The NextHome Team have started it a little over two week ago (I'm sure those following our Blackberry Group updates would have seen a lot of progress pictures) and we’re hopefully hitting the first floor slab stage of the 5 bedroom duplex by this weekend. Thank God.

That’s about it for now. Will post more updates soon!

2 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 8:10am On Dec 27, 2013
APOLOGIES

While not shying away from the issues and problems on ground, I will like to apologize one again to everyone for falling short of your expectation on the chateau and other projects. I'll be back on this thread again to share the good news that all issues have been resolved.

Madam Gabby, DUNKA, esoorita, daroseconcept, Hajji, Neophyte-Mason, vimo3, love-tosin, dayoagboola, lawyer, gtrust, jaydacorsia, spyder880, diordavies, sagewood, kuntash, kopell, olubuffet, blank, blink32, seun, deebabe, Qc-1, segcy.moor, chekitaut, aventures, junapril, sandee575, helpee, ahonohia, TBrownauto, Demain-man, whitecat007, benimegou, oseun001, Jamesqu, Fhemmmy, rotecch77, borisgbenga, Wede3, Jussi, floridarcar, Degis, amicdan, Ricky_olu, eghosa_johnny, Timmi, orepe, Farm+, goride1, defashan, akeweje, raqueal, oilsubsidy, kolamilan, onuokwu and all other silent readers.

I'm very sorry.

2 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 27, 2013
Brabus NG: APOLOGIES

While not shying away from the issues and problems on ground, I will like to apologize one again to everyone for falling short of your expectation on the chateau and other projects. I'll be back on this thread again to share the good news that all issues have been resolved.

Madam Gabby, DUNKA, esoorita, daroseconcept, Hajji, Neophyte-Mason, vimo3, love-tosin, dayoagboola, lawyer, gtrust, jaydacorsia, spyder880, diordavies, sagewood, kuntash, kopell, olubuffet, blank, blink32, seun, deebabe, Qc-1, segcy.moor, chekitaut, aventures, junapril, sandee575, helpee, ahonohia, TBrownauto, Demain-man, whitecat007, benimegou, oseun001, Jamesqu, Fhemmmy, rotecch77, borisgbenga, Wede3, Jussi, floridarcar, Degis, amicdan, Ricky_olu, eghosa_johnny, Timmi, orepe, Farm+, goride1, defashan, akeweje, raqueal, oilsubsidy, kolamilan, onuokwu and all other silent readers.

I'm very sorry.

u are welcome and apology accepted. I would be happy to have all issues resolved.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 8:41am On Dec 27, 2013
Beyond Design: Is the land so precious in thy sight?

A piece of land that looks gorgeous to the buyer’s eye may look like trouble to an experienced builder. Issues such as soil type, the presence of ledge, high water tables, poor drainage and accessibility are just some of the issues that can complicate construction and drive up costs. Obviously Sir Qc-1's site is no exception. In his words, he keeps saying "Bosun, iwo lo ni ki n maa bò o" (Bosun, you asked me to come.)

What we are up against

So many issues with the land. First it's the last plot at the end of a steep slope which drops more than 12ft below the road level and worst still, it is in a water-logged zone. So, we will be fighting against surface water, including runoff from rainwater and drainages, efflorescence, rising damp, erosion and flooded compound.

Good reason for prospective homeowner and landowners to follow this thread.

3 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Chekitaut: 10:00am On Dec 27, 2013

I'm very sorry.
lo ba tan, can u just see that...Bosun is not a perfect human, likewise everyone on NLd. Bosun the sky is ur stepping stone.

2 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by lawali: 12:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
Brabus NG: Beyond Design: Is the land so precious in thy sight?

A piece of land that looks gorgeous to the buyer’s eye may look like trouble to an experienced builder. Issues such as soil type, the presence of ledge, high water tables, poor drainage and accessibility are just some of the issues that can complicate construction and drive up costs. Obviously Sir Qc-1's site is no exception. In his words, he keeps saying "Bosun, iwo lo ni ki n maa bò o" (Bosun, you asked me to come.)

What we are up against

So many issues with the land. First it's the last plot at the end of a steep slope which drops more than 12ft below the road level and worst still, it is in a water-logged zone. So, we will be fighting against surface water, including runoff from rainwater and drainages, efflorescence, rising damp, erosion and flooded compound.

Good reason for prospective homeowner and landowners to follow this thread.
I believe this is the best time to sneak into the class after watching (reading) all drama through the window. Men, chairs and tables have been flying around. I can only assume that Brabus has same problem just like me. There is time to say NO and stay within your limit/boundary rather than rubbish yourself. Over the weekend, my wife reminded me how I managed construction of my 1st house. I allowed friends, workers and suppliers get away with many things (poor quality & high price), I could see them but kept mute, just because I don't want to cut relationship. I later learnt business is not meant to done as such. My sincere advice to Brabus is set your boundaries for your project and come rain or shine, ensure you do not go out of it. At the stage you are now, you should stop jumping on available jobs rather finish one well and let clients refer you based on quality job done. Learn from Spyder's experience. Money and jobs do not come easy. Fumbling on available ones is not acceptable to anyone. Kindly resolve your current problems and move on. Please let's hear happy ending on Qc-1 project. Wish you well.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Fhemmmy: 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2013

I'm very sorry.

I can once again comment on this thread . . . I was nearly in tears when i read about the turn of event regarding the project, and so sad to see how people were so quick in looking for tires to be thrown and torch it up.
I am so glad that issues are being resolved and i pray that God will grant you all it takes to be a finisher as well, i know we all make mistakes but to rise above it is what makes a MAN . . . You dont owe me no apologies at all, cos i was a learner under your humble construction, but please be apologetic to the owner and i hope you would make him so happy.

4 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by borisgbenga(m): 4:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I can once again comment on this thread . . . I was nearly in tears when i read about the turn of event regarding the project, and so sad to see how people were so quick in looking for tires to be thrown and torch it up.
I am so glad that issues are being resolved and i pray that God will grant you all it takes to be a finisher as well, i know we all make mistakes but to rise above it is what makes a MAN . . . You dont owe me no apologies at all, cos i was a learner under your humble construction, but please be apologetic to the owner and i hope you would make him so happy.

Well said Fhemmy. I like ur words of encouragements, so also Hajji.

2 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by emmadejust(m): 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
undecided
hmmmmmmmm

some scent of fresh air is smellin in the house.

Thanks God all is well now.

Welcome and stay cool always.

Let all live in love!!!!

OUR FAITH, OUR REALITY IN LIFE
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by igbonla(m): 9:10pm On Dec 27, 2013

I'm very sorry.

Apology is good but hope you have reviewed all of the incidents and have started making necessary changes to prevent a recurrence?

A house is the biggest investment most people make, so you are in a critical and sensitive industry. You cannot afford to keep dropping the ball..mistakes do happen but what we do to correct them determines whether those mistakes will make or mar us.

Wish you the best as you move forward.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by micbjrex(m): 11:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
Please I need your help in getting an estimate of how much a 5-bedroom duplex in Ibadan will cost me from foundation to finishing. The land is dry and table-flat. Please find my plan in the file below. Current prices of materials will also be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 12:31am On Dec 28, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Uncle Fhemmmy, you have said everything for me too.. Thank you.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Qc1(m): 1:52am On Dec 28, 2013

I'm very sorry.

I landed in Lagos on the night of Dec. 5th and waste no time to call Brabus the next day. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't follow this forum because I was busy packing for about a week and for that fact, I wasn't current about the issues on the ground.

Brabus was reluctant to pick up my calls at first because he thought I knew (about the issues). After couple of calls he now broke the news to me and encouraged me to go read about what's going on. Which I did. To me, this is what makes a difference between a man and a boy (the way you approach a problem and brake the bad news).

When I met Brabus for the first time, I immediately went straight to discuss the issues on the ground before I even talk about my project. During the conversation I was looking directly into his eyes and paying attentions to his body language details for the obvious reasons. Guys, let me tell you this! As humans, we shall always continue to learn till the end. Brabus must have learnt a lesson or two about the mishaps. I also told him he has to fight hard to get his hard earned reputation back. We both know that the only way to get it back is redeem himself through my project and simultaneously make other affected clients happy. Moreover, I kept telling him he has no other choice but to do exactly that!

There's a lot of stuff you guys need to see. Thank God there's also a lot of pics to share. It came to a point I almost wanted to opt out. Today. ..I give all glory to almighty God.

Thanks. ...keep reading.

BTW. ..Bos-man you don't owe me any apologies, at least. ..not yet. ..lol

2 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 1:54am On Dec 28, 2013
@Brabus, I will love to see you keep your head straight this time. Down fall of a man is not the end of his life they says. please remember thousands if not millions around the world are whiching every alphabet you strike online. you do not offend me, like you said FALLING SHORT is the word, of many People expectation not only me. I still love your creative idea sha. Try to improve in the aspect of handling contracts, be open to your
Customer let them no the truth when things are going wrong. This is all I can offer you.
Stay bless, and happy New Year in advance.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 2:37am On Dec 28, 2013
Land Revitalization takes it from "Drab to Fab"

DAY 1 - clearing the land

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 3:39am On Dec 28, 2013
Site challenges

"A teaspoon of prevention is worth a gallon of cure" certainly applies to new homeowners - at least in avoiding water problems. Buyers of new or older homes should be cautious about drainage. The best time to sign a contract is on a rainy day!

On my first visit to the site, I observed a lot of challenges that sets stringent constraints for the new build, most of which are physical.

1. Steep Slope - The first news I broke to my client on the site was a major blow. "Bros, na raft o". The hillier the plot, the more money that the build will consume. And all of the money that we're talking about here will be "invisible" money. Money to do the earthwork needed to create a flat enough and stable enough spot to build on, money to route away water from the house, money to make the foundation structurally substantial for the build.

2. Cracks and Subsidence - During the preliminary assessment of the site, I also observed the evidence of subsidence and cracks, poor soil stability and evidence of flooding. I also took time to have conversations with the residents to find a lot of background information that help form a picture of what we are up against.

3. Rainwater Run-off - The site is steeply slope and it was evident from the my assessment that storm water run-off both above the surface will create a major constraint on the building.

4. Accessibility

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 3:44am On Dec 28, 2013

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 3:55am On Dec 28, 2013
Getting Started - 12/12/13

Osuofia look-alike got the bush whacking contract. Meanwhile, we're busy making arrangements for the materials and other logistics in preparation for the ground breaking.

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 4:05am On Dec 28, 2013
No Time to Waste! - 12/12/13

1. Staking out the build area
2. Reinforcement Detailing
3. Preparation of formwork for the ground beam
4. Excavation/Removal of Dirts

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 4:08am On Dec 28, 2013
Progress Pictures - 12/12/13

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 4:24am On Dec 28, 2013
Day 3 - 13/12/13

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 4:33am On Dec 28, 2013
Day 4 - Panelling (14/12/13)

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 4:45am On Dec 28, 2013
Day 4 & 5 - Reinforcement Detailing

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 5:19am On Dec 28, 2013
Reinforcement Detailing

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 5:22am On Dec 28, 2013
Day 7 - Due to logistics issue, we couldn't pour the ground beam as pre-planned. So, we had to reschedule for the next day. No pix.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 5:25am On Dec 28, 2013
Pouring the Foundation Walls - 18/12/2013

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 5:29am On Dec 28, 2013
Day 11 - Backfill/Infill/Surface Treatment (21/12/13)
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 5:36am On Dec 28, 2013
Day 15 - Pouring The Ground Floor Slab (25/12/13)

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 5:48am On Dec 28, 2013
Walls Going Up! - Day 16 & 17

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 6:02am On Dec 28, 2013
Less Damaging Setback!

Due to the holidays, our block supplier delayed so much to deliver blocks as needed and as a result, there are lot of times my workers had to wait for block to be delivered. That's good as it allows us some time to cool off and take the much needed rest.

Fresh Update
Formwork for the columns and lintel have commenced. Progress pix to be uploaded later this morning.

Good Morning!
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by BrabusNG: 6:23am On Dec 28, 2013
Protecting the Foundation - What we did differently and other things we planned to do?

Standing water ponding around your foundation can cause frustrating problems for you. Yes, you! I've had to fix this issue for two different Nairaland clients (client 1 - collapsed fence, client 2 - rising damp). These problems can be both immediate and long term. If it is immediate while the construction work is at substructure stage, you're lucky. For example, standing water are sources of high humidity, which can produce surface condensation, mildew and fungi, musty odors, and an unhealthful environment. Such moisture can cause deterioration of beams, flooring, insulation, and electrical-mechanical systems. Prolonged water around the foundation wall can soften the soil and weaken its bearing capacity, increasing the possibility of wall settlement and cracking. It's far worse when the water is on a side of the building as it can cause differential settlement.

Keep the water far away from the foundation!!!

How?

Deal with all possible source of surface water and ensure they are adequately drained away from the foundation wall. Sources of this water include the following:

1. Roof without gutter
2. Roof with a leaking gutter or gutter overflow because of clogging from leaves and other dirts.
3. Roof with clogged downspouts or drain outlet.
4. Excessive watering of flower beds around the foundation wall as if flower growth depends on the amount of water.
5. Rainwater runoff from the driveway/walkaways if the landscaping forces water to drain toward the house instead of away.
6. Groundwater may be intercepted or dammed up by the foundation wall. (One of the problem in Sir Qc-1's site. The existing foundation has dammed up so much water thus turning the land into a pool)
7. Houses built downslope.
8. Improperly installed, clogged or collapsed drainages
9. And many more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by jam04(m): 8:17am On Dec 28, 2013
Brabus NG: Day 15 - Pouring The Ground Floor Slab (25/12/13)

Thought you said you are doing raft foundation?

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (49) (Reply)

Build a Standard 3Bedroom On A half Plot Of 324sqmetres at an Affordable Cost / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months? / Our Electrical Installations (conduit, Wiring & Fittings)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.