Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World (30473 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Employers Of Labour Should Consider Men Of Marriageable Age / Women Are Still Banned From These Things In Various Places Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by redsun(m): 9:43pm On Jul 21, 2013
The age a person start taking care of him or her self is the age of marriage.

The age of independence.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:43pm On Jul 21, 2013
These same cultures that practice child brides also practice honour killing n use acid for punishment

See more here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2363858/Burned-memory-Survivors-acid-attacks-Bangladesh.html

Shymmex pls help paste if possible my tablet cant copy/paste so much content
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:
But his struggle at the core was about civil right though more aggressive
One needs to bell the cat at times

Even MLK rated him highly despite the different approach. And he contributed to the fight as well - just as every other black activists before that period did.

However, people only remember MLK.

We can also talk about South Africa, the struggle against apartheid and how people forgot about Steven Bantu Biko. A guy who gave us all a blueprint to use at age 27 and died in the process. He fought and died alone - and hardly anyone remembers him. That's the danger in fighting alone. It's better to fight when everyone is fighting. grin
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by gabbytabby: 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

you belong to the posse of deluded scientology-esque minority cabal of rabid, fanatical semi-illiterates who attack, ridicule and denigrate anyone who has the chutzpah to question your chain of thoughts! i would have perused the link you posted if you weren't such a despicable obnoxious nitwit that displays the same fits of a photo-sensitive epileptic patient!

If this is what you can come up with then the money that was spent to educate you was such a waste ignorant pervert. Per per per pervert.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 21, 2013
There's always gonna be the odd case of child pregnancy, xtian or muslim, doesn't matter.
But for it to be passed unto Law, now u know there are cannibals amongst us.
The thing is, most of those with that mentality are Muslims, mostly the Hausa ones. And for one, besides religion, it has to do with mass illiteracy and utter disregard for human sanctity and dignity.
I'm not debating this. I've lived amongst them so I know. And let's be honest, most of us here know too.
So when I go to Abj n conversing with some of my American pals, sorry to bring that in just cos I want y'all to have an idea of what they think about us.
They laugh. And be like, "Nigeria's not a serious country". They don't even spend 2 minutes discussing Nigeria at all, cos to them there's nothing of note to discus. But they're here for business n dats all.
So these are the things we do in this country that world leaders laugh about on round tables in meetings and all. And they really do!
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2013
Thank God the ladies are speaking out.

- Onila.
- Joavid.

We need more women to speak out. cool
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by SNCOQ3(m): 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

How come everyone on this darn forum always cite "the killing of twins?" Is that the only thing y'all know? It's stale now - find something else to talk about. And I don't need to remind you that Yoruba's and a lot of other African cultures NEVER killed twins - I don't know which culture(s) did - but that's their prerogative. undecided
You asked for examples and I gave you one; It could have been slavery too.

Well, up until the renaissance - Europeans used to sell their women into slavery. There were crusaders all over Europe killing people. Cannibalism was rife in Europe. And most Europeans were primitive and vandals. However, did they evolve or not? Heck, even less than 100 years ago, child labour was rife in the UK. Did the people evolve or not?
My argument with you is about the means of change: 'evolve' vs activism. I go for activism. Thank God the likes of William Wilberforce, MLK etc did not wait for 'evolution' to do their thing :-)

I don't believe Islamic states are stuck. I just believe we haven't given them the opportunity to evolve due to trying to force our way-of-life on them. They have been on defensive for most part of the century - hence why they're stuck. The same analogy applies to African people.
That is a simplistic excuse for Islam. They are aggressive with their agenda for world domination. Don't forget that they are the ones trying to force their belief on us- remember boko haram and the likes? Islam is simply incopartible with 'evolve'.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 9:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
gabbytabby:
If this is what you can come up with then the money that was spent to educate you was such a waste ignorant pervert. Per per per pervert.

gabbytabby, get out of my sight.....
i have examined you and you lack the exposure to defend your corner concerning this issue - all you keep doing is ranting without advancing any of your point one jot.... i sincerely apologise to have overestimated your intelligence quotient!

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:51pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Thanks for speaking out, sis. More people need to speak out.

For me, I'm after all those pedo catholic priests that are molesting black boys on the continent. And parents have turned a blind eye to it, because they believe priests are holy and the voice of Jesus. That's the plan and I'll open a NGO in future about that.

We just can't be a nation of hypocrites who only speak out when it's an issue about the people we love to hate, or are programmed to hate.

True just that its so easy to beef the north

Low literacy rates,
Poor girl child enrollment
Proliferation of beggars

Yet they've ruled naija for 34 out of 53 years
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:53pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Even MLK rated him highly despite the different approach. And he contributed to the fight as well - just as every other black activists before that period did.

However, people only remember MLK.

We can also talk about South Africa, the struggle against apartheid and how people forgot about Steven Bantu Biko. A guy who gave us all a blueprint to use at age 27 and died in the process. He fought and died alone - and hardly anyone remembers him. That's the danger in fighting alone. It's better to fight when everyone is fighting. grin

Hahaha at the bolded
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:
Thank God the ladies are speaking out.

- Onila.
- Joavid.

We need more women to speak out. cool

True I went to a church organised summer program and what I heard from the teens eh

We are a sexually frustrated nation

That's why there's so much r.ape

May God help our daughters n sisters
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 21, 2013
Joavid: biolabee pls modify ur post and unquote me
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Pataki: 9:56pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:

True just that its so easy to beef the north

Low illiteracy rates,
Poor girl child enrollment
Proliferation of beggars

Yet they've ruled naija for 34 out of 53 years

Who and who is beefing the North

What do you mean by "low illiteracy rates"
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by gabbytabby: 10:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

gabbytabby, get out of my sight.....
i have examined you and you lack the exposure to defend your corner concerning this issue - all you keep doing is ranting without advancing any of your point one jot.... i sincerely apologise to have overestimated your intelligence quotient!

Per per per pervert. grin grin grin

Out of your sight ke abi bro yi is hallucinating haa haa no wonder oh. You dey see me for the computer?

I came to the conclusion that you do not have the ability to "get it".
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by kalohkaloh: 10:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
What is the prevalent rate of V V F in those countries mentioned? Some idiots just want to justify Yerima-paedophilia indulgence! Shameful indeed!
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
@ShyM-X,

I understand where you are coming from in relation to this issue, particularly as it concerns "cultural imperialism and imposition". To be honest, though, having read some of your posts on this vexing concern (imperialism) in a number other discussion threads before today, it has crossed my mind, more than once, that you ought to study Amilcar Cabral's writing on culture.

I used to maintain the same liberal posture you have, until my work took me into a number of educational establishments and local government agencies in the east-end of London several years ago. Coming from a place south of the Thames, the experience of relating to proud and yet atavistic groups, whose belief in the supremacy of their own culture was unwavering, left a lasting impression on me. I was even called the "N" word during my period of engagement with these South Asian groups, for no other reason than trying to impart knowledge about the rights afforded to them in the social system.

What I am trying to get across is that not all cultural practices are inherently good. And not all cultures are, by default, progressive. I have watched the crystallization of some of the more perfidious ideas I encountered while working with those maligned groups, over the years, and have also taken time to study the damning consequences which ensued.

To suggest as you did that we need to canvass the opinions of the average Northerner before taking a stand on the issue of child rights is rather unfair and uncharitable, as no sensible government frames public policy on that basis.

For context, here is a view that ought to exercise intelligent minds...

93% Northern girls lack secondary education – Sanusi

The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Lamido Sanusi, on Thursday, decried the low literacy level in the North saying that 93 per cent of female children in the region lacked secondary education.

The apex bank boss, who said this at this year’s Isaac Moghalu Foundation Leadership Lecture and Symposium held in Abuja, said the situation, if left unchecked, was detrimental to the economy.

The governor sited Jigawa State, where school completion rate among female is as low as seven per cent as an example.

Net enrolment of girls in schools in the country, according to him, is 22 per cent.

He said, “In the North-West, 70 per cent of women between 20 and 29 are unable to read, compared to 9.7 per cent in the South West.

“Only three per cent of females complete secondary education in the Northern zone. Now how do you build the country when 93 per cent of the girls in the most populous region of the country do not complete secondary schools?

Source

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 10:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
davidylan: this problem raises a deeper issue that folks need to think about. We cannot legislate against the rights of muslims to marry babies... however i think we should start thinking seriously about how far down the slope we want to go. It seems that whatever muslims want they get... regardless of how others feel. How about the rights of others to reasonable dissent?

Muslims have always gotten what they want.. its called political correctness grin

See the danish cartoon issue, Salman rushdie still living in fear, wearing hijab in europe etc

@pataki, there is a general north v south dichotomy here in naija except u are saying it does not exist
That was a typo, I meant low literacy rates are prevalent in the north
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by vislabraye(m): 10:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
The OP must be a pedophile. He doesn't really understand the law. There are people who are considered as minors.
A man of 35 can't decide to marry a 13 year old girl and be seen as normal.

This has to be about children of d same age.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 10:04pm On Jul 21, 2013
gabbytabby:
Per per per pervert. grin grin grin
Out of your sight ke abi bro yi is hallucinating haa haa no wonder oh. You dey see me for the computer?

yet the lunatic speaketh.....
see you where? not with your falafel face....

I came to the conclusion that you do not have the ability to "get it".

i have been getting "it" before you got your umbilical cord detached from your tummy.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2013
Joavid: unquote

Forum posts are now in the public domain... any reason?
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
SNCOQ3:
You asked for examples and I gave you one; It could have been slavery too.

My argument with you is about the means of change: 'evolve' vs activism. I go for activism. Thank God the likes of William Wilberforce, MLK etc did not wait for 'evolution' to do their thing :-)

That is a simplistic excuse for Islam. They are aggressive with their agenda for world domination. Don't forget that they are the ones trying to force their belief on us- remember boko haram and the likes? Islam is simply incopartible with 'evolve'.

It's not about that, it's just because everyone I've debated the same thing about culture with on this forum has alluded to the "killing of twins" thing. Why is that? Is that the only thing they taught you lot in naija schools? Well, the killing of twins only happened in a culture that I don't know about - most of the other cultures never killed twins and the African culture isn't a homogeneous one. That's the thing about indoctrination and Eurocentric people writing the school curriculum. White people being the saviour and black people being savages.

Activism can only thrive when people are ready to evolve. MLK was able to achieve what he did because the people wanted a change and they supported it. He was the face and leader of the struggle - but the struggle wasn't just about him, the struggle was about the millions of people marching on the streets of LA, New York, Chicago, Bay Area, Atlanta, South Carolina etc. - going against all odds - and willing to sacrifice their blood, sweat, and tears for a change. They were ready and they asked for it.

Bro, just look at it critically and you would find out that the problem isn't really Islam. The same Islam created Timbuktu, the City of Legends, and civilised Europe during the dark ages. Honestly, there's no way a person on the back foot can ever make progress. If you have to defend yourself all the time, then progress would become elusive to you.

Education can act as a catalyst to make them evolve, imposition won't. And when they're ready, we shall all stand up and testify together.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by gabbytabby: 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

yet the lunatic speaketh.....
see you where? not with your falafel face....

i have been getting "it" before you got your umbilical cord got detached from your tummy.

Apologies granpa.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by babsomotde(m): 10:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
I don't see ages to tell one the time to marry. Marriage to me is about maturity all round.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 10:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
Nice one on timbuktu
Shame that some islamists want to destroy all that culture

Songhay empire and the land of mansa musa- the gold emperor

This is even speculated to have contibuted to the slaver's interest in afrika
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 10:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
Abeg, better people that are still reading this, pls don't let us forget to stand up for the Nigerian girls.
Sitting on the fence is not an option, waiting for others to evolve is not an option. Let's do the right thing and posterity will judge us for good.
If others think otherwise, we can't change it, we only need few to make a difference. But let's our love for humanity, our conscience and our love for this country lead us to do the right thing.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla: @ShyM-X,
I understand where you are coming from in relation to this issue, particularly as it concerns "cultural imperialism and imposition". To be honest, though, having read some of your posts on this vexing concern (imperialism) in a number other discussion threads before today, it has crossed my mind, more than once, that you ought to study Amilcar Cabral's writing on culture.

I used to maintain the same liberal posture you have, until my work took me into a number of educational establishments and local government agencies in the east-end of London several years ago. Coming from a place south of the Thames, the experience of relating to proud and yet atavistic groups, whose belief in the supremacy of their own culture was unwavering, left a lasting impression on me. I was even called the "N" word during my period of engagement with these South Asian groups, for no other reason than trying to impart knowledge about the rights afforded to them in the social system.

What I am trying to get across is that not all cultural practices are inherently good. And not all cultures are, by default, progressive. I have watched the crystallization of some of the more perfidious ideas I encountered while working with those maligned groups, over the years, and have also taken time to study the damning consequences which ensued.

To suggest as you did that we need to canvass the opinions of the average Northerner before taking a stand on the issue of child rights is rather unfair and uncharitable, as no sensible government frames public policy on that basis.

For context, here is a view that ought to exercise intelligent minds...

Source

Sir, I understand where you're coming form and I support your argument. However, as you highlighted, in the quoted excerpt, that only 3% of these people attained secondary school education. So how do we go about telling them that the culture is medieval and that it has no place in the 21st century? You don't want to go out there fighting for people who don't know the difference between good and bad, or right and wrong - and end up being lynched by the same people.

You already cited what happened to you at the east-end of London and the use of the "N" word against your person, by those you were trying to help. How are you sure you won't get the same treatment, or a worse one, from these people? I guess that's why I'm leaning towards educating them and preparing their minds for what's right - as the first step - before taking a stand. With that, the result would be swift and effective.

Anyway, I can't really argue against your position because you're far more knowledgeable and intelligent than I'm. And I don't have the wealth of experience that you've attained over the years - at this stage of my life. I'm still learning and hopefully, as I grow older, I'll understand better.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by popsy007(m): 10:40pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.
this is one of the unique problems ofcuz.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by baby124: 10:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
gabbytabby:

Apologies granpa.
Lmaooo! Wonderful response to coogar. grin.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:

True I went to a church organised summer program and what I heard from the teens eh

We are a sexually frustrated nation

That's why there's so much r.ape

Lmao @ the bolded. grin

I believe it has more to do with poverty and sex being the only therapy. grin

That's why poor people make more babies than the rich ones.

Mofos just wanna fvck all the time when there's nothing else to do! grin
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Lmao @ the bolded. grin

That's why poor people make more babies than the rich ones.

Mofos just wanna fvck all the time when there's nothing else to do! grin

True.. once a girl has small bosoms popping out, she becomes fair game

We need to have a sex offenders register
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:
True.. once a girl has small bosoms popping out, she becomes fair game

We need to have a sex offenders register

Fair game? Where the do that at?

I guess that's why I don't really want female kids, tbh. But won't mind just one.

And if any prick touch my lil girl, his brain is going to be fair game to the bullets of a sawn off shotgun. grin

God knows how many nyggahs that have been smacked for trying to disrespect my sisters!
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 10:49pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Lmao @ the bolded. grin

That's why poor people make more babies than the rich ones. Mofos just wanna fvck all the time when there's nothing else to do! grin

an idle mind is a devil's tool. when there's nothing to do and the poverty level is acute, frustration sets in. my only problem is why sëxual frustration? within the last decade, nigeria developed a räpe culture that is yet unprecedented. i don't know if this has always been the case or the evolvement of the social media means more criminal incidents are reported.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Chaplain: Lagos CAN Backs Ambode, Says Sack In Order / Construction Of St Gabriel Oil Refinery In Akwa Ibom State (pictures) / NAF Bomb ISWAP's Meeting With Shuwaram, Scores Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.