Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World (30480 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Employers Of Labour Should Consider Men Of Marriageable Age / Women Are Still Banned From These Things In Various Places Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by nyabingi(m): 8:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.
you say it has nothing to do with the southerners abi...but when challanges arise u go use my oil money take solve am!!
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 21, 2013
SNCOQ3:
Killing of twins.

'Evolution' is too slow- We can't wait for 'evolution' for moral reasons.
I am certain you're aquainted with the word 'Agent of Change'; Mary Slessor was one. Its more effective than 'evolve'.

I am not disputing the fact that Europe once had a reprehensible culture...but they changed while the islamic states are mostly stuck. The change was not a function of 'evolution' but belief sir.

How come everyone on this darn forum always cite "the killing of twins?" Is that the only thing y'all know? It's stale now - find something else to talk about. And I don't need to remind you that Yoruba's and a lot of other African cultures NEVER killed twins - I don't know which culture(s) did - but that's their prerogative. undecided

Well, up until the renaissance - Europeans used to sell their women into slavery. There were crusaders all over Europe killing people. Cannibalism was rife in Europe. And most Europeans were primitive and vandals. However, did they evolve or not? Heck, even less than 100 years ago, child labour was rife in the UK. Did the people evolve or not?

I don't believe Islamic states are stuck. I just believe we haven't given them the opportunity to evolve due to trying to force our way-of-life on them. They have been on defensive for most part of the century - hence why they're stuck. The same analogy applies to African people.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Haryomhe(m): 8:47pm On Jul 21, 2013
The only thing i can imagine here is a 9yrs old gurl telling her friends "thats my husband" ...crazy!
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Lmao @ the bolded.

That's why I can't be ar.sed with these armchair and myopic pseudo-feminists. Most of them just say a lot without actually saying anything. undecided

Quote the place where I said women are more intelligent than men you lying, low-life shmuck.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 8:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
davidylan:
Frankly because it is an issue of economics. Virtually every large petrochemical and petroleum company has investment stakes in the mid-east. As long as they are making money, the US government doesnt care. On the other hand, why should we care if Saudi Arabia chooses to marry off its girls at 3 yrs old? I only care when muslims decide it is their right to force a sizeable portion of the country to accept anachronistic laws that make no sense.

but the same holy book that governs the saudis are the same ones the people of the northern nigeria are using as guidelines. in other words, what happens in saudi will happen in nigeria. the people of the rural area who cannot read nor write would still continue to give out their young underaged girls to rich suitors.....

nyabingi: you say it has nothing to do with the southerners abi...but when challanges arise u go use my oil money take solve am!!

the oil in nigeria is a federal property.....it belongs to everyone.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
fellis:

Quote the place where I said women are more intelligent than men you lying, low-life shmuck.

You don't want to start name-calling with me, do you? You know you can't hang - just don't destroy this beautiful thread. undecided

You already agreed that you posted a link that shows that women have a higher IQ than men - what else is there to talk about? undecided
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by rapmike(m): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

if you were bestowed with cognitive reasoning, you would have seen that i was attacked first but i am not surprised by your lack of it.
I did nt say dat u attackd 1st,am jst saying dat u dnt need 2 reply attack wit attack,only use logic tinking.besides dis ppl r nt wrong in opposing d law, as al of u hv statd,dis is a serious problem that is hidden,wheda in d north or d south,weda fake xtians or fake muslims,d problem is d same:- Gals r been abused by old and young men and passing dis law in power jst legalises it.
Shy m-x is playing d it does nt concern me card bt he 4gets dat d card is part of d reason dat dis country experience d problems it faces. Selfishnes has kild any form of trust in naija among oda tings. Dat is d more reason y tings lyke dis cnt be shunnd.
Besides,u hv nt heard me speak b4 or read my posts maybe apart 4rm d 1 i hv pastd here,so y d hate and tink i am nt cognitive? I tink u nid 2 reconsider ur statement.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

I believe in bottom-up approach and not window dressing. To help the most vulnerable in our society, we need to start with our institutions and making sure that they actually work. After that, then we can educate the vulnerable ones among us about their rights/laws and open centres to help them.

Anyway, even if it's made illegal, would that stop people from practising it? Bear in mind that under-age marriage has been quasi-illegal till it was made legal on Friday. Did that stop them from doing what they believe in?

If I did not know better, I would say you've signed up as a member of the Tory party.
On the one hand you convey indifference by suggesting it has nothing to do with the rest of us, or the other you suggest we need to strengthen our institutions first.

Why not simply strip away the veneer of culture, and consider what your conception of childhood really is.

As a self-proclaimed Pan-Africanist of a progressive bent, ask yourself if the Black race can ever assume it's rightful place with the institutionalisation of retrogressive laws like this.
As a humanist, look beyond the issue of marriage to see how your arguments stack up against the autonomous rights of a child.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
fellis:

You are a Christian so I will appeal to your conscience and ask you to fear God and refrain from telling lies about me. You don't have to support anything you hear just because it is an attacj against feminists.
If you want to claim I said women are more intelligent than men them quote the place where I said it.

Your posts
fellis:
Wow. Are you saying you believe the earth is flat? What shape do you think the earth is biolabee? smiley

O my god! Are you serious? Are you serious with this statement? How can you even support the idea that leadership should be the default responsibility of the male? I don't have to provide proof of anything, the very fact that some women are more intelligent than some men, the fact that a wife might be better at doing those things that are required of a leader than her husband, makes the idea of default leadership by men a very stüpid one.

What if a woman marries a lazy man or a man that is terrible at decision making? Should she still leave leadership to him knowing that he is likely to make decisions that would hurt his family?

Gender equality and for gender roles to be earned and chosen, not thrust on individuals.

Discrimination still exists and MANY MEN still believe that women are inferior to them by virtue of their gender.

What has this got to do with anything? Gender discrimination is still a thing. It is a good thing that women have contributed positively to your life but that does not eliminate the fact that gender based discrimination is still a thing. Please read the three links I put in my last post.

This is unbelievable. So what happens in the places you've worked is now the same thing that happens in every employment industry?
Please read the second link in my last post for evidence that women receive less pay than men in some institutions.

https://www.nairaland.com/1254189/feminism-why-women-general-especially/20#15778512
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

However, why did you post the link and argue for the claims made on it? undecided undecided

What are you exactly? Some sort of pathological liar?
This is so unbelievable angry
I posted the link because coogar claimed that men are more intelligent than women and I wanted to show him that there are scientists with differing opinions. Also, I specifically mentioned that there is no difference in gender intelligence before I left that thread. Don't label false accusations against me because you hate feminists.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

If I did not know better, I would say you've signed up as a member of the Tory party.
On the one hand you convey indifference by suggesting it has nothing to do with the rest of us, or the other you suggest we need to strengthen our institutions first.

Why not simply strip away the veneer of culture, and consider what your conception of childhood really is.

As a self-proclaimed Pan-Africanist of a progressive bent, ask yourself if the Black race can ever assume it's rightful place with the institutionalisation of retrogressive laws like this.
As a humanist, look beyond the issue of marriage to see how your arguments stack up against the autonomous rights of a child.

Good points sir
Judge shymex over to you
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
onila: cry cry cry cry

I am really against this child marriage

I was almost moleted several times in Nigeria when i was very young

at the age of eight and nine

my house gateman, neighbours houseboys almost sexually assaulted him

the thought of it till today disgusts me

pls no female child shld be give to old men
you would be suprised to kow how so many women/gals have been molested or almost molested at one time or the other in thier life..dat is if they will speak out.
so if shymexx wants to open a thread on it, i doubt if women will still speak up.
Infact i av come to realise/kow dat most families dat seem hapi on the outside can be the worst. But i thank God for the kind of father i have.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:

Your posts

https://www.nairaland.com/1254189/feminism-why-women-general-especially/20#15778512

So? I wasn't generalizing in that post like Shymmex is claiming. I said 'SOME WOMEN', are smarter than men. Not all women, so what's your point?
Stay away from me biolabee, you've always appeared to me as a person with cognitive deficiencies so please stay away from me and don't complicate my life with your foolishness.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 9:06pm On Jul 21, 2013
rapmike:
I did nt say dat u attackd 1st,am jst saying dat u dnt need 2 reply attack wit attack,only use logic tinking.besides dis ppl r nt wrong in opposing d law, as al of u hv statd,dis is a serious problem that is hidden,wheda in d north or d south,weda fake xtians or fake muslims,d problem is d same:- Gals r been abused by old and young men and passing dis law in power jst legalises it.

for starters, i have a zero tolerance for trolls. i was minding my business before i was called out. i return fire for fire, i have neve cared whose horse is gored!

Shy m-x is playing d it does nt concern me card bt he 4gets dat d card is part of d reason dat dis country experience d problems it faces. Selfishnes has kild any form of trust in naija among oda tings. Dat is d more reason y tings lyke dis cnt be shunnd.
Besides,u hv nt heard me speak b4 or read my posts maybe apart 4rm d 1 i hv pastd here,so y d hate and tink i am nt cognitive? I tink u nid 2 reconsider ur statement.

except that shymexx is right - it's not our business what the north decides to do to their daughters. they decided to go the sharia way some years ago, who cares? who are we to tell the northerners how to live their lives? all the governors in the north have first lady(s) - how many of them have come out to condemn what happened at the senate?

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 9:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
rapmike:

for starters, i have a zero tolerance for trolls. i was minding my business before i was called out. i return fire for fire, i have neve cared whose horse is gored!

except that shymexx is right - it's not our business what the north decides to do to their daughters. they decided to go the sharia way some years ago, who cares? who are we to tell the northerners how to live their lives? all the governors in the north have first lady(s) - how many of them have come out to condemn what happened at the senate?

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:09pm On Jul 21, 2013
fellis:

So? I wasn't generalizing in that post like Shymmex is claiming. I said 'SOME WOMEN', are smarter than men. Not all women, so what's your point?
Stay away from me biolabee, you've always appeared to me as a person with cognitive deficiencies so please stay away from me and don't complicate my life with your foolishness.

Ok...im not chasing you plz

Insults have always been your stock in trade of ur ilk
No wahala
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by gabbytabby: 9:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:

excellent point.....
what i'm confused about is deeper - why has america and the other world powers look the other way to saudi arabia and all other oil-rich islamic states fully involved in child marriage?

the above clearly shows you hail from a firewood background. that i argue for/against any issue does not make me a statutory rapïst like the criminal that sired you. if you cannot separate topical issues from your emotional flashes, then stay away from a public forum.

your lack of cognitive reasoning is your biggest undoing. i am not a muslim, i don't believe in child marriage, i was not born and bred into an islamic family or community where such practises are the norm but it would be obtuse to criticise those fortunate or unfortunate to have been born into a family or a community with such mores!

which research? the one you clawed out of your crusty arse, you simpleton?

lack of treatment after the fact? you must function on a single digit IQ. in the punditry of hard currency, your intelligence at best would be the somalian shillings. if proper antenatal care were administered, the occurrence of VVF is non-existent. go back and do more of your occultist research, you asšwipe!!!

no wonder.....
you already show the signs you were serially abused as a toddler. i beg of you, remove the sentiments of your childhood scars when debating on a forum. we get it, you have now been westernised but what of those who are still blindfolded by the islamic clerics? shoot them because your views don't agree with theirs?

oloshious fellow!!!!

Most cultures/religion practised early marriages at some point and as societies develop they do away with the ills in it. Only the perverts like you would continue to argue for this point of view.

I do not see anything wrong with a firewood background and unlike you I am not ashamed of my background whatever that may be at least I am demonstrating progress but your perversion means you remain stuck and have a mental blockage which does not allow you to think logically(I dont know why your will equate simple common sense with being westernised).

Only the unintelligent will continue to argue on an issue that they do not believe in especially to the level that you have done. What is your own with muslim cleric whom you say are blindfolding who.

Think, what can I do to change things for the better, should I continue to justify the actions of the abuser or support the abused in their quest and their fight. I am comfortable with my side of the fence are you with yours??

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002937807004395
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2013
lmao.....weeping 4 fellis' daughters embarassed cry
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:

Ok...im not chasing you plz

Insults have always been your stock in trade of ur ilk
No wahala

Mtsheeeew. Rubbish.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 21, 2013
coogar:
the oil in nigeria is a federal property.....it belongs to everyone.

and you wonder why nigeria is woeful at encouraging innovation. Thoughts like these are the problem.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Sir, as I have grown older in thoughts and consciousness. I'm beginning to see things more clearly. Like I said earlier, I believe in the Responsility to Protect (R2P) and helping out the vulnerable among us. I'll probably dedicate the next two decades of my life to doing that. But I believe it has to apply to people who fundamentally want the help and are clamouring for it. There has to be willingness from the party that wants it, for it to be effective. The party has to testify with those rendering the help. However, I haven't seen none of that from those who live within the culture. Perhaps they prefer the status quo. Who knows?

For example: to help a chain smoker to stop smoking, he/she has to show willingness to stop. Else the help would end up being futile.

Whenever I look at Africa and our unique problems - I can't help but think that the foundation of our problems started with cultural imperialism and imposition. Without that, we would have evolved better than we're today. Hence why I'm a staunch advocate of protecting our culture(s) and gradual progression into a space of conformity with the 21st century. Also, the change has to start with our institutions - we need to make them stronger and more effective. And with that, we would be able to achieve the required results when fighting against things of this nature.

The rights of a child must be protected at all times. However, the parents/custodians of the child/children must always stand up and be counted. I know we as Africans believe in communal ownership of a-child/children - but we've to always tread carefully and ask for the consent from the parents/custodians before acting on their behalf. So as not to end up being blamed, if anything goes wrong. That's why I'm asking where the average Northerner stand in all of this? What do they think?

Anyway, regardless of everything I have posted on this thread. I feel for the kids, but it's a pity that I can't help. when I help and go out to fight, I want to achieve the desired results and not fight in futility.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2013
fellis:
What are you exactly? Some sort of pathological liar?
This is so unbelievable angry
I posted the link because coogar claimed that men are more intelligent than women and I wanted to show him that there are scientists with differing opinions. Also, I specifically mentioned that there is no difference in gender intelligence before I left that thread. Don't label false accusations against me because you hate feminists.

But why did you post that junk by pseudo-scientists to buttress your point? You have to believe in something to post it.

That's like me posting a pseudo-research link that says: "black women are most unattractive women in the world" and arguing for it...then turn around and say I don't believe it, I just posted it.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2013
Hmm... shymmex at times social justice can be lonely

Look at mal x, wilberforce n others
They were alone for a while until they got mommentum
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee pls modify ur post and unquote me
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:30pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

But why did you post that junk by pseudo-scientists to buttress your point? You have to believe in something to post it.

That's like me posting a pseudo-research link that says: "black women are most unattractive women in the world" and arguing for it...then turn around and say I don't believe it, I just posted it.

Hahaha. ?... revisionism

Come to the feminist threads n see twisting

One of them called mandela jobless
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee: Hmm... shymmex at times social justice can be lonely

Look at mal x, wilberforce n others
They were alone for a while until they got mommentum

Malcolm X was alone and he's still alone. How many people associate with Malcolm X the same way they align with MLK for example?
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by SpicyMimi(f): 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2013
onila:

I realized most of the pple that tried to sexually abuse me and my younger cousins in Nigeria were gatemen, houseboys, ,pple from very poor backgrounds, uneducated, lowest strata of society

our uncles or male relatives have never tried hitting on any of us , thank God smiley

my mum was almost molested by her houseboy back in the day . .he was already on top
before her elder brother caught him while walking thru her room window

he almost killed the houseboy

my best friend in Nigeria, it was her longtime family driver who tried to fcck her younger sister, the girl was just 6
he brought her back from school one afternoon

and took her to the back of their house and told the poor girl to remove her clothes. .the girl started removing her clothes. luckily their aunt just passed unexpectedly and saw them

when their father heard the story, he brought out his gun, ready to shoot out of his brains cheesy
this is the longest post ve seen from you...oh! You quoted who? Shymex? Oh now i gerrit... wink

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
biolabee:
Hahaha. ?... revisionism

Come to the feminist threads n see twisting

One of them called mandela jobless

Don't mind them... Most of them don't even understand what feminism is about, yet that associate that inane and un-African ideology with everything.

It's feminism kumbaya just because it makes them look cool. grin
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Bwahahahaha @ colonised by Iraq and Iran.

Are most of them not already molesting their little nieces and cousins in secret? grin Stories are flying everywhere all over the UK. A lot of the ones that act sanctimonious are closet perverts.

Unfortunately this is true
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 9:35pm On Jul 21, 2013
gabbytabby:
Most cultures/religion practised early marriages at some point and as societies develop they do away with the ills in it. Only the perverts like you would continue to argue for this point of view.

spoken like a true hypersensitive imbecilë yet again, you mean organised societies like saudi or dubai have brushed past child marriage? blimey, you are plumbing new depths of idiocy on this thread - stop before you embarrass yourself any further.

I do not see anything wrong with a firewood background and unlike you I am not ashamed of my background whatever that may be at least I am demonstrating progress but your perversion means you remain stuck and have a mental blockage which does not allow you to think logically(I dont know why your will equate simple common sense with being westernised).

unfortunately, you are a product of your environment especially when this rotten background of yours was around your formative years. all i am asking for is objectivity instead of ranting like a demented rhesus monkey. if you were born in kandahar controlled by the taliban, you would have been married off at 8 with gladness on your face - it's what it is.

Only the unintelligent will continue to argue on an issue that they do not believe in especially to the level that you have done. What is your own with muslim cleric whom you say are blindfolding who.

actually, only the smart people think outside the box and examine issues as sensitive as child marriage. it's a practise tied to religion or culture. it is different to drug usage or other modern vices you can think of. muslims have been forced to be defensive as everything they seem to practise is barbaric in the eyes of the west - it's become so bad that any attempt these days = islamophobia!

Think, what can I do to change things for the better should I continue to justify the actions of the abuser or support the abused in their quest and their fight. I am comfortable with my side of the fence are you with yours??

i am very comfortable with mine. when the west decided to approve gay marriage in their churches, why didn't africans or the middle east go up in arms to condemn the practise? everyone concluded the sëxual preference of anyone is not our business.....you should try the same logic here too. right or wrong, it's not your business what muslim parents do to their daughters - they did not come to your apartment to seek your daughter's hand in marriage.....

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002937807004395

you belong to the posse of deluded scientology-esque minority cabal of rabid, fanatical semi-illiterates who attack, ridicule and denigrate anyone who has the chutzpah to question your chain of thoughts! i would have perused the link you posted if you weren't such a despicable obnoxious nitwit that displays the same fits of a photo-sensitive epileptic patient!

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 9:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Malcolm X was alone and he's still alone. How many people associate with Malcolm X the same way they align with MLK for example?

But his struggle at the core was about civil right though more aggressive
One needs to bell the cat at times

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pictures From ICC Abuja As Buhari Receives Certificate / Buhari's Article: His Misinformation, The Facts And His Records / Niger Delta Avengers Will Regret Their Actions - Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.