Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,258 members, 7,829,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- - Religion (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- (33238 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / Bitter Truth About Blessed Virgin Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
FYI, there was never a time Jesus as the son of God was seperated from Jesus as the son of man.
Like I said before, even when he came to the world as a man, he is still God..
So, whats the confusion about? You are trying to differentiate the two personalities as two different personsbut my brother, he is just one and he possessed both of them on earth.
He accepted to do the will of God that was the reason he came to this world as a man..so that that aim can be acheived effectively...because I know that God can always do whatever he wanted to do without even sacrificing his son but he did it anyway...so, who am I to question him?

God could not do anything he wanted without a sacrifice. God never contradicts himself. He set the pattern for atonement of sins as a yearly sacrifice of bulls and oxen in the old testament so only a sacrifice could achieve His aim and Hence the perfect sacrifice who was jesus
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:03pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia: [b]Do you know that in the new testament the words Son of Man was used 88 times?. In Hebrew Son of Man means Son of Adam. Many sceptical scholars believe that Jesus referred to Himself as the Son of Man, because it is unlikely to have been an invention of the early Church. For example, in the Gospels, ‘Son of Man’ is Jesus’ favourite self-designation. Yet in the epistles, it is never used of Jesus. In fact, the term appears in the New Testament only 4 times outside of the Gospels and never in extra-biblical Christian writings during the first 120 years following Jesus. The point is: How likely is it that the Church originated the title Son of Man as Jesus’ favourite self-description, when the Church itself did not refer to him in this manner?

So what did Jesus mean when He called Himself the Son of Man? Some surmise that the term places an emphasis on Jesus’ humanity compared to ‘Son of God’ which places an emphasis on His divinity. But this fails to take into account the significant historical context in which Jesus uses the term and how He understood it. How Jesus understood the term ‘Son of Man’ is important, since He used it of Himself more than any other term.

To find the answer, let us go back to the Old Testament and look at what the prophet Daniel said.

‘In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.’ (Daniel 7:13-14)

Daniel speaks of the ‘son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. . . . He was given authority, glory and sovereign power . . .’

With this in mind, consider these statements of Jesus in the New Testament Gospels:

‘For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.’ (John 5:27)

‘At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.’ (Matthew 24:30 [italics mine])

‘So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time. But in those days, following that distress, ‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’ At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.’ (Mark 13:24-27)

‘At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.’ (Luke 21:27)

It seems obvious from these scriptures that when Jesus spoke of Himself as being the Son of Man, He had Daniel 7 in mind.
In addition, some first century Jews identified the Son of Man as also the Christ or Messiah.
Jesus had just spoken of His death by crucifixion as being ‘lifted up.’ The crowd responded, ‘We have heard from the Law that the Christ will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up?’ Who is this ‘Son of Man?’’
Jesus also believed the Son of Man, the Son of God, and the Messiah (Christ) were the same person. Not only did He claim to be all three separately, but in an interesting passage He responds in the affirmative to the Jewish leadership’s linking both Son of God and Christ, then adds Son of Man:
‘The high priest said to him, ‘I charge you under oath by the living God:

Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.’ ‘Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied. ‘But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.’ Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, ‘He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?’ ‘He is worthy of death,’ they answered.’ (Matthew 26:63-66)

Finally, Jesus understood the Son of Man to exist prior to His human birth:

‘No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.’ (John 3:13)

‘What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before!’ (John 6:62)

In summary, Jesus’ favourite term to refer to Himself was ‘Son of Man.’ He understood the designation to refer to the divine Son of Man of Daniel 7 who would rule with glory and power. Moreover, He understood the Son of Man also to be the pre-existent Son of God and Messiah. Who did Jesus think He was? Clearly He thought He was the divine Son of Man.[/b]
my brother, what is tis long writeup? Whats this arguement about?
Whether Jesus is the son of God or son of man?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
my brother, what is tis long writeup? Whats this arguement about?
Whether Jesus is the son of God or son of man?

I know who Jesus is..the question is do you?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:09pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

God could not do anything he wanted without a sacrifice. God never contradicts himself. He set the pattern for atonement of sins as a yearly sacrifice of bulls and oxen in the old testament so only a sacrifice could achieve His aim and Hence the perfect sacrifice who was jesus
''God could not do anything''? Are you serious? Do you know his mind?
He set the pattern, do you think he cant unset it?
Think well my brothe, it is God we are talking of here o.
I said, God can choose not to use his son as a sacrifice but he did it anyway.
That reply of yours ahve nothing in common with my quote.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
''God could not do anything''? Are you serious? Do you know his mind?
He set the pattern, do you think he cant unset it?
Think well my brothe, it is God we are talking of here o.
I said, God can choose not to use his son as a sacrifice but he did it anyway.
That reply of yours ahve nothing in common with my quote.

This shows you do not understand the plan of God right from after Adam fell. Only a sacrifice in obedience would suffice and nothing else. Yes God can do anything he wants but in this case the requirement was set in stone. I suggest you do a bit of studying your bible and asking the holy spirit for insight.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

I know who Jesus is..the question is do you?
nope, I didnt ask if you knew whom Jesus is.
My question is this...
Whats the arguement about? Is it whether Jesus is the son of God or the son of Man?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:19pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

This shows you do not understand the plan of God right from after Adam fell. Only a sacrifice in obedience would suffice and nothing else. Yes God can do anything he wants but in this case the requirement was set in stone. I suggest you do a bit of studying your bible and asking the holy spirit for insight.
hmm, the fact that we are actually talking about same thing and you asking me go study my bible is really bizzare..!
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by achi4u(m): 6:58pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
lol, honey, dont mind me jare...this nysc stuff just swallowed my time...thank god it will soon be over
lol.grin
Maria I so much miss you,please don't yelled to their advances.

#isi ga agbaka Torchman ugbu a#cheesy
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by philfearon(m): 7:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

so,ur argument now is whether Jesus is "son of Man" or "son of God".....u are a typical "jehovah witness" boy.....You derail a lot...You cant answer a question with an answer.....You give clueless and long write ups to a single sentence answer......
Anyway,Each to his own belief....If ur belief will lead u to heaven,thats good and am happy about that...If mine wil lead me to heaven,To God be the Glory....But please,stop arguing or comenting about things you dont comprehend.........Byee....GOD HELP US ALL......
Anybody i called "a Fool",or cursed unknowingly on this thread,forgive me........
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 7:19pm On Aug 17, 2013
achi4u: lol.grin
Maria I so much miss you,please don't yelled to their advances.

#isi ga agbaka Torchman ugbu a#cheesy
nwannem nwoke, rapu that thing.
This is the thread I have enjoyed the most.
Yeild kwa? To whos advances?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
nwannem nwoke, rapu that thing.
This is the thread I have enjoyed the most.
Yeild kwa? To whos advances?

jou kwa ya o. Everyone to His own. My prayer is that your eyes of understanding be enlightened.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 9:02pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

jou kwa ya o. Everyone to His own. My prayer is that your eyes of understanding be enlightened.
ooo nna....same to you o.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by free2ryhme: 10:05pm On Aug 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Do catholics study bible undecided

They just accept what the priest give them through the Lectionary during mass

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by try69: 10:31pm On Aug 17, 2013
free2ryhme:

Is It not better to accept what a priest tells me when I can always cross-check it with an already written doctrine than wake up one day to get a message from my worshipped mog who will tell me self service is not sin or one that will advice me to slap witches? cheesy cheesy cheesy

#youdon'tpaytothink #useyourbrains
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by free2ryhme: 10:42pm On Aug 17, 2013
try69:

Is It not better to accept what a priest tells me when I can always cross-check it with an already written doctrine than wake up one day to get a message from my worshipped mog who will tell me self service is not sin or one that will advice me to slap witches? cheesy cheesy cheesy

#youdon'tpaytothink #useyourbrains

did you cross check the worship of relics in the bible ?

did you cross check the bowing down to graven images in bible..?

Did you cross check the ordination of gay priests in the bible ...?

to whom a brain in given common sense is required undecided

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by doclan: 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2013
Finally... This is the thread I ve enjoyed the most.. Thanks to U all(NAIJADEYHIA, SUPERIOR1, MARIAGORETTI,TRY96,PHILFEARON,DEYMA, CHUKWU, FREE2RHYME.. Am sowi if I dnt list ur name, i dnt knw every1. Tanks to all contributors) U are all priceless proponent.. May God show us all the way and lets take time to read the bible with all simplicity and holy guidance.. God bless U all.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 10:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
free2ryhme:

did you cross check the worship of relics in the bible ?

did you cross check the bowing down to graven images in bible..?

Did you cross check the ordination of gay priests in the bible ...?

to whom a brain in given common sense is required undecided

lol, another one?
What do you think is in the bulletin, uh?
The same way your pastors explain things to you from the scriptures is same way our priest explain to us.

Who bows down to graven images and which of the graven images?

Honey, whats the frustration all about? Just spill and we will sort it out amicably and not acrimoniously, ok?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 10:57pm On Aug 17, 2013
free2ryhme:

if you had read the former post carefully, you will also find out that the person you just supported doesnt even comprehend facts written in short statements and that what we both have been arguing about is actually same thing...but you chose to be blind to it...na for your pocket o.

Ehe, what exactly do you think the Lectionary is made up of?? please answer if you have gone through one..
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by free2ryhme: 10:58pm On Aug 17, 2013
doclan: Finally... This is the thread I ve enjoyed the most.. Thanks to U all(NAIJADEYHIA, SUPERIOR1, MARIAGORETTI,TRY96,PHILFEARON,DEYMA, CHUKWU, FREE2RHYME.. Am sowi if I dnt list ur name, i dnt knw every1. Tanks to all contributors) U are all priceless proponent.. May God show us all the way and lets take time to read the bible with all simplicity and holy guidance.. God bless U all.

Because of their(catholics) indoctrination, they cannot understand. Only Jesus can open their eyes. Pray for them, and I adjure you, as a fellow Christian, to watch what you say. Nothing is uglier than sectarian bickering: say your piece, tell the truth, pray for them and be done with it. If they want to bow down to plaster statues its because they have been taught this since infancy, they can't help it. Don't butt your head against a brick wall.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:58pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
lol, another one?
The same way your pastors explain things to you from the scriptures is same way our priest explain to us.

Honey, whats the frustration all about? Just spill and we will sort it out amicably and not acrimoniously, ok?

And the pope issues you dogma and curse you if you don't believe it, no?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 10:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
doclan: Finally... This is the thread I ve enjoyed the most.. Thanks to U all(NAIJADEYHIA, SUPERIOR1, MARIAGORETTI,TRY96,PHILFEARON,DEYMA, CHUKWU, FREE2RHYME.. Am sowi if I dnt list ur name, i dnt knw every1. Tanks to all contributors) U are all priceless proponent.. May God show us all the way and lets take time to read the bible with all simplicity and holy guidance.. God bless U all.
no be only you my brother... I really enjoyed it.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by free2ryhme: 11:01pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
if you had read the former post carefully, you will also find out that the person you just supported doesnt even comprehend facts written in short statements and that what we both have been arguing about is actually same thing...but you chose to be blind to it...na for your pocket o.

Ehe, what exactly do you think the Lectionary is made up of?? please answer if you have gone through one..

whay shld i care

...but i know what the bible ( undisputed word of God ) is made of

The bible was written in the early ages and was influenced by the Holy Spirit.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:02pm On Aug 17, 2013
superior1:

And the pope issues you dogma and curse you if you don't believe it, no?
lol, am sorry, can you rephrase that?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by achi4u(m): 11:04pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
lol, another one?

The same way their (charged) pastors are vibrating with one of the modern gadgets like Apple® Tablets & their likes in the name of preaching is the same way catholic coppied their daily reading from the bible.

all this church rat self grin
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 11:04pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
lol, am sorry, can you rephrase that?

Lol, I am sure you do.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:05pm On Aug 17, 2013
free2ryhme:

whay shld i care

...but i know what the bible ( undisputed word of God ) is made of

The bible was written in the early ages and was influenced by the Holy Spirit.
ah ah, nna calm down na...no be fight.

You are supposed to know nah...since you decided to badmouth the Catholics.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by free2ryhme: 11:06pm On Aug 17, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
ah ah, nna calm down na...no be fight.

You are supposed to know nah...since you decided to badmouth the Catholics.

this girl sef stop blowing fuses

i did not badmouth catholics ooooo

i only stated the obvious

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:07pm On Aug 17, 2013
achi4u: The same way their (charged) pastors are vibrating with one of the modern gadgets like Apple® Tablets & their likes in the name of preaching is the same way catholic coppied their daily reading from the bible.

all this church rat self grin

Achi nwanne m, nnooo o.

@Free2rhyme
He just told what the Lectionary is made up of. Extracts from that same holy bible you know and possess.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:09pm On Aug 17, 2013
superior1:

Lol, I am sure you do.
I did what?

I only asked that ypu rephrase your question or dont ypu know the meaning of ''rephrase''?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 11:10pm On Aug 17, 2013
free2ryhme:

this girl sef stop blowing fuses

i did not badmouth catholics ooooo

i only stated the obvious

Anyone who doesn't buy into the fables of Mr. Francis is described 'anti-catholics' by them. There is no libel in saying the truth

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (29) (Reply)

Who Will You Have Lunch With? / Be Wary Of Romantic Boyfriend And Girlfriend Relationships / My Pastor Offended Me Today In Church (Experience)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.