Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:49 AM

Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat (27419 Views)

Sahara Reporters Labels Buhari As "Nigeria's Junketer-In-Chief" (Photos) / Security Threat In N-delta Over Non-payment Of Amnesty Allowances - Vanguard / Nigerian Army Creates New Brigade To Tackle Security Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 22, 2013
Is ASPAMDA the only market in Trade Fair? why are they the main concern in the complex ? Maybe because they generate more revenue than others.Something is really fishy.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 11:53pm On Aug 22, 2013
Nebeuwa: Each week the Lagos state government is taking actions that can be perceived to be aimed at the Ndigbo. If this is not economic warfare, I do not know what is

This stinks of tribalism...

But at least this is a wake up call for those Igbo Lagosians.

Because you people see victimization and tribalism in everything and what the rest of the society abide by as law abiding citizens..

Pay your tax = Oh no, this is tribalism because we are ibo

Keep your shops clean = Oh no, this is tribalism and war on ibo

Regularize your business = Oh no, this is tribalism because we are ibo

The fact is with your absurd way of thinking and tribal paranoia, you people can not function possitively in any sane and orderly society.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ekwynwa: 11:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
agbameta:

Sounds like you can not read and comprehend English words...

You can start by telling us the regulatory agencies that Mr Kayode could not name above since you can read and comprehend English language.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 11:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
ekwy nwa:

You can start by telling us the regulatory agencies that Mr Kayode could not name above since you can read and comprehended English language.

It's there, you just don't know how to read and comprehend.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Nobody: 11:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
agbameta:

Because you people see victimization and tribalism in everything and what the rest of the society abide by as law abiding citizens..

Pay your tax = Oh no, this is tribalism because we are ibo

Keep your shops clean = Oh no, this is tribalism and war on ibo

Regularize your business = Oh no, this is tribalism because we are ibo

The fact is with your absurd way of thinking and tribal paranoia, you people can not function possitively in any sane and orderly society.

As in ehn... The whining dey tiring. Very very..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by 0key: 11:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
Katsumoto:

Firstly, there is no mention of tax in the original article. I stand to be corrected though. You can read it yourself.

Second, If they are unregulated, you can't get them to comply and you can't know how many members they have. This poses two major issues

1. Criminals can mix with honest and legitimate businessmen

2. You can't know who to tax and how much to tax them with. Again this is to the disadvantage of the honest business men. For instance, if the govt believes there are 200 members when there are infact 400 members. The government will apportion the tax evenly to meet its obligations. If you divide an obligation of 2000 Naira amongst 200 members instead of 400 members, the honest members will pay 10 Naira instead of 5.

The problem I have with the post is the emphasis on a specific group of people ( d spare parts dealers). What about other groups? Are they exempted?
If d general feeling is that the entire stakeholders of market are subjected to this 'demand', l don't think such resistance would have come up. This is directed to a particular group and they are perceiving injustice considering d way LASG is pursuing d issue.

Furthermore, there's already ongoing tension between LAsG and those at Ladipo mkt. So, this action by the state govt would b seen as transferred aggression. Common sense demands diplomatic approach and not to approach issues rudely to raise dust.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 11:58pm On Aug 22, 2013
agbameta:

Oh please spare us that played out cop out crap. What's all that got to do with obeying the laws in Lagos state.

If you don't want to be called cave people, then start acting like non cave people, start acting obeying laws, start shouldering your social responsibilities, stop acting as if making money is the beginning and end of everything..

You may call it crap but it is the truth! The fact remains that successive governments deliberately neglected the East otherwise how can you explain to me why the only real functioning seaport in Nigeria today is Apapa in Lagos I once read an article whee it was stated that Akwa Ibom can produce the deepest seaport in Nigeria but all this time nobody seemed to care. It is only recently that real work has started to get Ibaka seaport running in 2015. Well, you may continue to call us cavemen, blablabla but we know we are not cavemen people and we are not from caves. And who says making money is everything? I am just trying to let you understand why you find so many of us in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:02am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

Try and read the original article, comprehend, before commenting.

You should be the one to try to comprehend. The article describes legitimate traders as a security threat, how Even if we are talking about paying some levies here and there how does that make the traders a threat to security
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 12:07am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

You may call it crap but it is the truth! The fact remains that successive governments deliberately neglected the East otherwise how can you explain to me why the only real functioning seaport in Nigeria today is Apapa in Lagos

Of course you are spewing crap. Stop killing your spirits with that played out garbage.

Since the end of the same war you are talking about, we've had ibo vice president, we've had ibo ministers, ibo governors, ibo senators, ibo party leaders, ibo federal agency leaders and today, nearly all the top positions in GEJ administration are all ibo dominated, your states collect allocations and taxes just like the rest of Nigeria so what neglect are you talking about?

The only neglect you are experiencing has nothing to do with the rest of Nigeria, but with your own National and local leaders.

Too many of you are mentally misplaced..
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 12:08am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

You should be the one to try to comprehend. The article describes legitimate traders as a security threat, how Even if we are talking about paying some levies here and there how does that make the traders a threat to security

Are you for real or you just have a very very dead brain cells?
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:08am On Aug 23, 2013
Lagosbabe1:

The bolded above is very laughable. What you are sensing is absolutely false! Yorubas are the most accommodating tribe in Nigeria-fact! It is only in Yoruba land that all tribes can live in peace and be treated fairly, it is only in Yorubaland that any tribe in Nigeria can come and reside and they and their families will have equal access to education, healthcare and other public facilities and amenities.

I am tired of listening to all the story that an Hausa man was Mayor of Enugu or Aba in the 1930s or thereabouts, the fact is that it is only in YORUBA LAND that you will find an Ibo man hold such an important position as the Commissioner of Finance- we are very progressive in our orientation and deeds. However, a lot of people have misunderstood the gentility of the Tiger as weakness; Or how will OUK and a lot of IBOs declare Lagos as No Man's Land? The same land that gave Ibos the opportunity to rebuild their lives after the civil war? The same Land that educated your children?

You say the competition is very stiff in the SE, what do you exactly mean by that? Are you trying to imply that all the the potentials of all your states have already been taken advantage of? Your assertion is very ironic given the fact that the SE is relatively not as developed as the SW; I would have imagined that given the acclaimed Ibo ingenuity and brilliance, Ndigbo would have developed and taken optimal advantage of the opportunities in their own land before seeking it elsewhere. You claim to be Jews, but have you looked at how the Israelis are dominating the world in sectors such as IT, Science and Research? Most of this is done in Tel-Aviv and they have a loud voice all over the world due to their ability to be innovative and creative. I am not being disingenuous, but I can hardly see any resemblance in culture, attitude or mindset between Ibos or Jews.

The most important thing you said is that we should have mutual respect for each other- very important point! Respect however is a two way street, I can only respect you if and when you respect me. Ibos saying that Lagos is a no mans land is not respect, it is absolute disrespect. Respect begets respect my dear friend.

Dear friend, I also condemn this 'No man's land' slogan. It is highly unacceptable.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ekwynwa: 12:09am On Aug 23, 2013
ekwy nwa:

How?

What laws are we talking about here?

What has the commissioner for transportation got to do with security threat issues if any? And what guiding laws are we looking at here?

Can someone help me out with this so called regularization Mr. Kayode is talking about?

Concession is different from outright sale…. What are the exact terms of this concession agreement between federal govt and the private investors? The terms of the agreement should be made public so that people can discuss from position of knowledge.

Who are these regulatory agencies? What exactly is the role of the commissioner for transportation in all these perplexity?

What has crime prevention got to do with this?

@ agbameta care to point out the so called regulations and the regulatory agencies.
am waiting
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:10am On Aug 23, 2013
berem: Is ASPAMDA the only market in Trade Fair? why are they the main concern in the complex ? Maybe because they generate more revenue than others.Something is really fishy.

0key:

The problem I have with the post is the emphasis on a specific group of people ( d spare parts dealers). What about other groups? Are they exempted?
If d general feeling is that the entire stakeholders of market are subjected to this 'demand', l don't think such resistance would have come up. This is directed to a particular group and they are perceiving injustice considering d way LASG is pursuing d issue.

Furthermore, there's already ongoing tension between LAsG and those at Ladipo mkt. So, this action by the state govt would b seen as transferred aggression. Common sense demands diplomatic approach and not to approach issues rudely to raise dust.

If you have evidence that other associations are not compliant, then please share it.

No point assuming that there other non-compliant bodies.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:16am On Aug 23, 2013
agbameta:

Of course you are spewing crap. Stop killing your spirits with that played out garbage.

Since the end of the same war you are talking about, we've had ibo vice president, we've had ibo ministers, ibo governors, ibo senators, ibo party leaders, ibo federal agency leaders and today, nearly all the top positions in GEJ administration are all ibo dominated, your states collect allocations and taxes just like the rest of Nigeria so what neglect are you talking about?

The only neglect you are experiencing has nothing to do with the rest of Nigeria, but with your own National and local leaders.

Too many of you are mentally misplaced..

Now I can see clearly that you don't reason well. Who built Apapa port, was it not the FG Was it a state governor that built third mainland bridge, Federal Palace hotel, National Arts theater, murtala mohammed international airpot, etc Tell me All these and a whole lot more were done in Lagos by the FG even though Lagos has also been receiving allocations. You're really daft!!! Is it not the FG that is now working on Ibaka seaport in Akwa Ibom? Is it not the FG that has now converted Enugu airport to an international one
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:19am On Aug 23, 2013
agbameta:

Are you for real or you just have a very very dead brain cells?

Obviously yours died a long time ago and so you can't help but reason from your anus.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:20am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Now I can see clearly that you don't reason well. Who built Apapa port, was it not the FG Was it a state governor that built third mainland bridge, Federal Palace hotel, National Arts theater, murtala mohammed international airpot, etc Tell me All these and a whole lot more was done in Lagos by the FG even though Lagos has also been receiving allocations. You're really daft!!! Is it not the FG that is now working on Ibaka seaport in Akwa Ibom? Is it not the FG that has now converted Enugu airport to an international one

And no roads, hospitals, schools, airports were built in other states? Lagos was the only state that the FG spent money on?
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:21am On Aug 23, 2013
ekwy nwa:

@ agbameta care to point out the so called regulations and the regulatory agencies.
am waiting

Don't wait; read the original article.

If you have an issue with comprehension, say so and let some explain it to you.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by 0key: 12:21am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

If you have evidence that other associations are not compliant, then please share it.

No point assuming that there other non-compliant bodies.

It is not an issue of assumption. If other groups are actually involved, the LASG would have easily used them to make reference.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:22am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Who said they are legitimate? The body that is supposed to regulate them, they have refused to submit to. So how can they be legitimate?

I am tired of explaining the security threat angle; please read the thread completely.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:23am On Aug 23, 2013
0key:

It is not an issue of assumption. If other groups are actually involved, the LASG would have easily used them to make reference.

Why would LASG use other groups as reference? Is that the rule you made for them?

They don't have to make reference to any other groups or bodies.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:25am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

And no roads, hospitals, schools, airports were built in other states? Lagos was the only state that the FG spent money on?

Even a blind man can see that Lagos State has received unsual attention from the FG that is a fact! In how many states did the FG build international airports, National Arts theatres, flyovers like third mainland bridge, seaport like Apapa, how many

Is that not why everybody is running to Lagos today?
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 12:27am On Aug 23, 2013
ekwy nwa:

am waiting

Obviously, you don't know how to read and comprehend, it's in the main article and I'm posted the name of the agency and what they regulate under the law.

Please don't quote or ask me the same question again.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:30am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Even a blind man can see that Lagos State has received unsual attention from the FG that is a fact! In how many states did the FG build international airports, National Arts theatres, flyovers like third mainland bridge, seaport like Apapa, how many

Is that not why everybody is running to Lagos today?

And Rivers state doesn't have an airport, seaport, schools, public infrastructure, etc? Does Kaduna not have most military infrastructures, schools, etc?

If you want the National Theatre, you are welcome to pick it up.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 12:30am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Obviously yours died a long time ago and so you can't help but reason from your anus.

Apart from the fact that you are tribaly paranoid and lawless, you wear your tribal emotions on your face. Relax, we can converse without the tantrums and insults, at least we are not there yet...
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by 0key: 12:31am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

Why would LASG use other groups as reference? Is that the rule you made for them?

They don't have to make reference to any other groups or bodies.

...and when did it become an offence to use what is good to make an example?

If they are sincere, let them give us d full picture of the issue so that we'll know how they constitute security threat.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:33am On Aug 23, 2013
0key:

If they are sincere, let them give us d full picture of the issue so that we'll know how they constitute security threat.

Now you are just being sentimental.

Ignored until you raise a more logical point.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:36am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

And Rivers state doesn't have an airport, seaport, schools, public infrastructure, etc? Does Kaduna not have most military infrastructures, schools, etc?

If you want the National Theatre, you are welcome to pick it up.

Good!!! Now we are going somewhere. You have mentioned Lagos, Rivers & Kaduna so what does the SE have Nothing!!! Do you see why I said that past administrations have deliberately marginalized the SE?
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by 0key: 12:38am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

Now you are just being sentimental.

Ignored until you raise a more logical point.

U are not being objective because of some egoistic trait. Learn to follow issues from other people's perspectives.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ALTRUTH(m): 12:39am On Aug 23, 2013
0key:

Exactly! We are tired of these hazy statements from LASG. Let us have all the details and see how these traders are a security threat to Lagos state.
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by ekwynwa: 12:39am On Aug 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't wait; read the original article.

If you have an issue with comprehension, say so and let some explain it to you.

here is the original article care to point them out ?

Lagos State Government says members of the Auto Spare Parts and Machinery Dealers Association, operating within the Trade Fair Complex on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway, are constituting a security threat to the state.
How?

The government explained that it adopted the view as a result of the refusal of the traders to comply with the law guiding their operations.

What laws are we talking about here?

Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, said this at a stakeholders meeting on Wednesday, organised by the Motor Vehicle Administration Agency.
What has the commissioner for transportation got to do with security threat issues if any? And what guiding laws are we looking at here?

He said despite efforts to make the operators to regularise their business, ASPANDA members had refused to deal with the government, claiming that they operate within a Federal Government territory.

Can somebody help me out with this so called regularization Mr. Kayode is talking about?

Opeifa, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Mr. Sheyi Coker, added that the position was no longer valid with the recent concessioning of the complex to private investors. He urged the traders to cooperate with the government in the overriding interest of all.

Concession is different from outright sale…. What are the exact terms of this concession agreement between federal govt and the private investors? The terms of the agreement should be made public so that people can discuss from position of knowledge.

Opeifa said, “The insistence of ASPANDA that they operate outside the ambit of state government gives cause for concern.

“Lagos State Government has the primary responsibility for public safety and security within its domain. So, ASPANDA position is therefore inimical to the safety and security of the millions of law-abiding residents of the state.”

The commissioner said there was need for constant communication between auto spare parts dealers and the regulatory agency considering the large concentration of vehicles in the state.

Who are these regulatory agencies? What exactly is the role of the commissioner for transportation in all these perplexity?

He said the government would continue to provide a conducive environment for the dealers to do business in the state.

Permanent Secretary, MVAA, Mr. Akin Hanson, said auto and spare parts dealers were strategically positioned and could play a decisive role in crime prevention.
What has crime prevention got to do with this?
Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by agbameta: 12:40am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Good!!! Now we are going somewhere. You have mentioned Lagos, Rivers & Kaduna so what does the SE have Nothing!!! Do you see why I said that past administrations have deliberately marginalized the SE?

But GEJ gave you your Onisha port and he just gave you your own international airport so we are now even. You have a port and an international airport. Now do your thing and stop crying.

But the thing is, going by your mentality and tribal fixations, even if den give you the world, it's still going to be the same victimization and marginalization cries like babies..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat by Katsumoto: 12:41am On Aug 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

That is not completely true. Nigerian administrators have not been very bright. It wasn't that it was marginalized, most of the states were marginalized. But my point is that all states received the same sort funding. Calabar has a seaport, stadium, airport, etc. While only Lagos in the SW has an airport. There are more airports and stadiums in the SE than there are in the SW. At the time, these decisions were made, Rivers and other SE states were in the same region. The SE only became an entity in 1999.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply)

Buhari With Ita-Giwa: Says, "2017 Budget Will Not Be Padded Under My Watch" / 11 Reasons Why Atiku Should Adopt Olisa Agbakoba As His Running Mate / Seun, Ibrahim Sakaba's Wife Denies Receiving Atiku’s Phone Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.