Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25122 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2013
The Question is, Is it complusory to have a traditional marriage? The answer No!
Nigeria has two legal binding agreement between two consenting male and female, that when carried out, they will be viewed as husband and wife
1: Customary marriage act, or so-called traditional marriage, What constitutes customary marriage? (1) Dowry demanded by the bride family, which is negotiable,and accepted paid in full, by the bridegroom's family, (2) The bride is handed over to the bridegroom,his family or his reprensentative. (3) Bride's immediate family consent may play a role, to enact this marriage, Umunna or umuada's consent is not neccessary. (4) This marriage act maybe conducted or held at anytime of the day, even at midnight. This marriage gives room for polygamy and polyandry.
In summary. Bride or dowry makes this marriage acceptable as contracted, if they bridegroom present,s kekenapep to private jet, this doesn't count. Parents consent may play a role, Umunna or Umuada or any group that may arise consent is null and void, Where the bride or dowry was paid doesn't matter.

2: Statutory marriage act or so-called low or high court marriage, in summary
A: Dowry or brideprice is not neccesary. B. Parental consent does not matter. C: The two persons must be of marriageable age.D: Does not admit polygamy or polyandry.E: A twenty one days public notice must be posted, at the expiration of this twenty one days notice the marriage shall be enacted within or not more than 30days, and a marriage certificate is issued.
Under this marriage act, the woman and her children is protected under the inheritance law.
IT IS NOT NECCESSARY to conduct or have these two types of marriage, they are all honorable before God, and man

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Ugom87(f): 8:20pm On Sep 20, 2013
She can do it in the air,but one day she might come looking for those people she rejected.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by armyofone(m): 8:35pm On Sep 20, 2013
thank you, very laughable grin grin
Naija culture this and that yet still backward as ever. I don't really see the good thing about it...just some villagers getting a bit rich
or some filling their tummy with tubers of yams and some kini kan kini kans.

lady gogo:

[/b] grin grin grin grin grin So if I dont go to Igbo-Itoku in Abeokuta for my trad wedding it means i have something to hide. Still laughing o! cheesy Why do we like making life difficult for ourselves in Nigeria? If these rites can be carried out where i reside why do i have to go down to the village for it just so i could please some yeye kinsmen?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by armyofone(m): 8:40pm On Sep 20, 2013
don't try it o grin, dem winches will be roving over your head like something from NASA, you know they can fly from Nig to Dallas.
grin
terrristial power ko, celestial pawa ni.
Whatever rock our boat jare. Imagine packing wedding all the way from Dallas to igboirumole village for say kini? grin

Dallas Cowgirl: Seriously, I want a proper, well organized Yoruba wedding.

I be proper proud omo Yoruba pelu proper Yoruba tradition ati culture.

Sugbon, na terrestrial power go bring me back to Naija wey dem dey bomb pesin like chicken
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by haminac: 7:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
COOLDUN:

You are not an Igbo, because no Igbo fellow would write Ibo as his/her tribe. There is no tradition in Igbo land that permits Cannibalism; you are one of those Efulefus that go about spewing rubbish about the Igbos in order to score cheap marks.

Mbaise i know and where my senior brother married from, i mean Nguru Mbaise, no one exploited my brother for any reason, they accepted what my brother had and gave to them. Today my brother is carrying his wife like an egg, a well educated intelligent girl for that matter. I am from Orlu Imo state.

No village in Igbo land obliges any suitor to do more than his purse, Traditional marriage is never compulsory in Igbo land, but very necessary. It has been happening before your forefathers, but nowadays people have modernized it and added some fun into it. You do the ceremony as you can. Even if you don't have anything to give to your wife's kinsmen, they will gather that day and know their son in-law. Marriage is not finished in one day.

You and your Ibo lost fellows should not come online to claim the knowledge of what you are ignorant of. I have seen an Igbo friend that marry an Igala girl, both of them left Amsterdam to the girl's village to do the traditional marriage. Traditional marriage is not only an Igbo thing as some people are trying to make it look here. Any girl that likes let her take her husband to her home town, who doesn't like should go and marry in Mars planet that is her cup of tea. But we have the Igbo bu Igbo.

I am Ibo and I was talking about my traditional wedding. This is not hear say. It happened at my traditional wedding and no need for insults.

As for the things you say never happened in the past, like cannibalism, I can only speak for Ibo land because that is the one I am aware of and for your information, everything I said here is from real life occurrences that happened to me or someone close to me.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by igboboy1(m): 10:03pm On Sep 21, 2013
haminac:

I am Ibo and I was talking about my traditional wedding. This is not hear say. It happened at my traditional wedding and no need for insults.

As for the things you say never happened in the past, like cannibalism, I can only speak for Ibo land because that is the one I am aware of and for your information, everything I said here is from real life occurrences that happened to me or someone close to me.

mechionu. o igbo oburo ibo
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Ngodigha: 12:39am On Sep 22, 2013
haminac:

Boy, common stop this your silly Ibo spelling here. Why not get a proper keyboard that can type Igbo.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:58am On Sep 22, 2013
armyofone: don't try it o grin, dem winches will be roving over your head like something from NASA, you know they can fly from Nig to Dallas.
grin
terrristial power ko, celestial pawa ni.
Whatever rock our boat jare. Imagine packing wedding all the way from Dallas to igboirumole village for say kini? grin

l
Lmao craze girl grin
Army girl mi, bawo ni? kiss
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:03am On Sep 22, 2013
armyofone: thank you, very laughable grin grin
Naija culture this and that yet still backward as ever. I don't really see the good thing about it...just some villagers getting a bit rich
or some filling their tummy with tubers of yams and some kini kan kini kans.

I'm telling you, many of the complainers on this thread reside in the village.
Awon ole, they just want to eat like they're in the buffet all in the name of "fillage" wedding lol grin
You know all these hungry morafuckers dey wait like cultures for village wedding lol
Dem go carry relatives and 20times-removed relatives each with their own extra large coolers to come chop grin grin
Wedding sweet sha
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by haminac: 6:44am On Sep 22, 2013
igbo boy:

mechionu. o igbo oburo ibo

I do not know who you are telling mechionu to? Ibo=Igbo
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by haminac: 6:46am On Sep 22, 2013
Ngodigha:
Boy, common stop this your silly Ibo spelling here. Why not get a proper keyboard that can type Igbo.

They are both right and mean the same thing
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Ngodigha: 1:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
haminac:

They are both right and mean the same thing
Surely, you are not IGBO.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by caesare: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
depends on the tribe....i have heard cases of where women were chased out of their matrimonial home after their husband died because there was no traditional marriage (even after court and white) which makes the woman not to be recognized traditionally as a wife to the person .
i think its the most important of the three considering that i have seen so many couples who just had traditional marriage only and nobody disturbs them.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by igboboy1(m): 2:10am On Sep 23, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl:

I'm telling you, many of the complainers on this thread reside in the village.
Awon ole, they just want to eat like they're in the buffet all in the name of "fillage" wedding lol grin
You know all these hungry morafuckers dey wait like cultures for village wedding lol
Dem go carry relatives and 20times-removed relatives each with their own extra large coolers to come chop grin grin
Wedding sweet sha

and residing in the village is a crime? daft ijebu girl...
onye ara
dey there dey form dallas girl, with your ijebu head.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by igboboy1(m): 2:10am On Sep 23, 2013
haminac:

I do not know who you are telling mechionu to? Ibo=Igbo
nwoke'm okwa asim ka e mechionu gi?
e bu anuman
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 23, 2013
Why not just get on your knees and suck my hairy c.ock if you're so desperate for my attention?

igbo boy:

and residing in the village is a crime? daft ijebu girl...
onye ara
dey there dey form dallas girl, with your ijebu head.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by caesare: 8:40am On Sep 23, 2013
i see no reason why anyone shouldnt be proud of their roots......
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Awakulowo: 10:55am On Sep 24, 2013
igbo boy:

hmmm this must be another Ijebulite...
Like my able presido GEJ rightly termed your likes - RASCALs..

Akpu with ofe onugbu has blocked your akamu brain in that your erosion ravaged lungu.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by igboboy1(m): 7:03pm On Sep 24, 2013
Awakulowo:

Akpu with ofe onugbu has blocked your akamu brain in that your erosion ravaged lungu.

Hahaha grin erosion for where?
Nna no vex I am from Oshimili in delta State and we no get erosion so biko go and do some more research and come back with more ammo.

Amala with efo riro has blocked your Ijebu brain in dirt infested Ijebu land grin
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by igboboy1(m): 9:47pm On Sep 24, 2013
Awakulowo:

Since you are from Delta State i Will leave you. I still dey chop oil money there and i have a good friend from Obiaruku. I have issues with ibos (Homo-Vandalism).

But maka y are you chopping our oil money? This is the thing that is causing militancy, you will leave ijebu land and be chopping our oil unabated. This has to stop with immediate effect and alacrity

If you have issues with Igbos then you have issues with me too so I no get which one be " Since you are from Delta State i Will leave you ". ?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Awakulowo: 6:59am On Sep 25, 2013
igbo boy:

But maka y are you chopping our oil money? This is the thing that is causing militancy, you will leave ijebu land and be chopping our oil unabated. This has to stop with immediate effect and alacrity

If you have issues with Igbos then you have issues with me too so I no get which one be " Since you are from Delta State i Will leave you ". ?

The oil in my State Is more than the oil in the whole of ibo land. If i leave Delta 14 Deltans Will be out of job.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by esuabassey(m): 12:02pm On Sep 25, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]it all depends on d father inlaw
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by esuabassey(m): 12:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
esuabassey: [color=#990000][/color]it all depends on d father inlaw
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by haminac: 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
igbo boy:
nwoke'm okwa asim ka e mechionu gi?
e bu anuman

No wonder, I see you are from Delta. I rest my case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Its Our One Year Anniversary / Life With Two Stubborn Teenage Boys : My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.