Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25124 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by obicentlis: 4:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
It is the father that caused this poo. He married a woman that doesn't love his culture and transferred that hatred to her children. I pity the man, he will be buried in the city when he dies.

Lesson no. 1, always bring your kids home to get acquainted with your culture. Stop telling your kids lies about your village. Your root is your root,protect it.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by NwaAnambra(m): 4:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce:

Our tradition states I be with my husband. To love and cherish cheesy grin....

I can do the traditional any where I want. In my dictionary, safety first! Am very uncomfortable with security men with guns posing as a body guards for such occasion, the main thing is the church wedding.

Tradition ko, tradition ni....
As long as my present famile came for my wedding..I couldn't careless about fvck tradition. tongue

ebee ka onye ara a si dakaputakwa? biko fucckk OOF

5 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by seedsower(m): 4:20pm On Sep 19, 2013
In the first place why did you guys despise your place/culture and heritage?

Very soon Gov. Fashola (eko oni baje) will chase everybody home, and i wonder where you will run to.

If your family isn't cast-out please give me one good reason why you won't go back to your home town to celebrate with your ancestors.
Even though my beloved Abia and Imo igbo speaking state does it. Anambra can't, it's wrong.

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by fiscalcliff: 4:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

That is why in this day and age, a man (example Solomon Akiyesi) will 'legally' marry three wives and keep the knowledge a secret from the women because all he did was visit a rented apartment/ duplex in Lagos or Abuja and pay some money to a man who is the 'father' of the bride.
Ofu onye adiro amu nwa n' ala Igbo.
Stop been a bigoted tribal goat
'Marrying in the village' wouldn't have stopped him from doing similar
Maybe you are deliberately mischievous to the fact that he can be sued and made to pay the legal penalty of committing bigamy

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Meringe(m): 4:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
seedsower: In the first place why did you guys despise your place/culture and heritage?

Very soon Gov. Fashola (eko oni baje) will chase everybody home, and i wonder where you will run to.

If your family isn't cast-out please give me one good reason why you won't go back to your home town to celebrate with your ancestors.
Even though my beloved Abia and Imo igbo speaking state does it. Anambra can't, it's wrong.
My friend, this is a general problem that's affecting every igbo state now and not peculiar to any igbo state. I have seen Anambra peeps that does it.
Manager Finance in my workplace from Obosi , anambra state that will retire from service next year can not speak igbo. What do you expect from his kids? These are the people that can subscribe to have their trad weddn in the city.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by frankgreat(m): 4:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
My sis married her hubby in lagos here..a yoruba guy. we r frm mbaise, nd u knw ow important traditional marriages is to them..its all about understanding.. The important people came down to lagos for the trads, nd it all went well

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 4:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
fiscalcliff:
Stop been a bigoted tribal goat
'Marrying in the village' wouldn't have stopped him from doing similar
Maybe you are deliberately mischievous to the fact that he can be sued and made to pay the legal penalty of committing bigamy
sorry if I sound bigotted. But in the village, your fathers people sometimes carry out due diligence on the man marrying you.
Onwwere onye ma onye, ma onye and so on....
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Excellentspirit(f): 4:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
Most of the people that do their traditional marriage especially in the cities to me don't know their roots or they re amongst d “OSU” or they are slaves. African Culture generally is dwindling. *smh

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by shejane: 4:37pm On Sep 19, 2013
Y did d woman(der mother) married 2 a tribe she hate? Gues she was desperate 4 marriage den, well in igbo land you must do ur traditional rites, u may choose inside own or outside own

U must give ur kinsmen wot belongs 2 dem
Everytin in der list den aft dat u can go 2 london or anywhere nd do anoda traditional wedding nd white wedding

Bt anybody dat hate his or her root, hate himsef or hersef nd d person is an abomination nd shd be ashamed

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by SugaryBelle(f): 4:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
It should be done in the vilage that is why its called traditional wedding,except the family cannot afford to take it down to the village.I pity that your cousin because the reason she wants to do it in the city is because she claims to hate her village,thats the same way her children will hate her husband's home.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

Are you Igbo? If yes,
did your Father/mother commit 'Aru' in your village?
If No. Then wetin dey pursue you from villa?

People like you. cheesy

I don't live my life by what culture dictates, tufiakwa. It is how it pleases me and what's convenient for my guests when that day comes. If that is too hard for people like you to understand in the 21st century, please beg the forces that be to spit you back to 1656 BC.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Excellentspirit(f): 4:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
seedsower: In the first place why did you guys despise your place/culture and heritage?

. My dear, don't mind them o, most of those people dt does that are the OSUs I.e d out caste. It's a very big shame on them. The ones that can't speak their language re slaves according to one of my lecturer. Lol
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Erotex(m): 4:56pm On Sep 19, 2013
Princess zoe: There is nothing wrong in hosting a traditional wedding in ones father's house in the city. The depising thing is what baffles me even. How can someone from igbo come up to say that she hates igbos? The mother is from yoruba, married to igbo but hate igbos. I guess the woman cojeled her children into this hatred which is bad and their father may have insisted on going to village for the ceremony as a result of their hatred towards their tribe of which has been a big blow to him. If they are refusing to go to the village due to security purposes, let their father adapt but if is just for nonsensical reasons, they should be the one to adapt.
this is the REASON i will never marry any tribe if not mine. I pity the likes of p-square e.t.c cuz Their children will never have mouth in Igboland.
Dont be deceived by love abeg. Nothing sweet like two couple Speaking Their LANGUAGE be him Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Lilimax(f): 4:59pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

Tell them ohhhhh. umu efulefu
grin
Ndi 'my mama tell me say I be Ibo' sad

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Lilimax(f): 5:01pm On Sep 19, 2013
frankgreat: My sis married her hubby in lagos here..a yoruba guy. we r frm mbaise, nd u knw ow important traditional marriages is to them..its all about understanding.. The important people came down to lagos for the trads, nd it all went well
I'm not surprise. Ndi 'ala wu otu'
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Erotex(m): 5:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
no place like home!! Marry ur tribe, to avoid wahala.
If i dey UK and my wife won born i must depot her to Igboland cuz any Igbo person who was born out of Igboland e no go ever dey complete, he will Alwz behave like the place whr he was born.
Ka anyi jebe Enugu obodo oyibo!!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce:

Our tradition states I be with my husband. To love and cherish cheesy grin....

I can do the traditional any where I want. In my dictionary, safety first! Am very uncomfortable with security men with guns posing as a body guards for such occasion, the main thing is the church wedding.

Tradition ko, tradition ni....
As long as my present famile came for my wedding..I couldn't careless about fvck tradition. :Pfuck tradition? But you can embrace the oyibo way of their white wedding right? And ignore your own traditional root. Thatz good of you....it is your type that is killing our tradition slowly

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by outofthebox: 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2013
Am a yoruba dude but don't intend marrying a yoruba woman..no woman yet but dats my target..but I aint going to any village for any paparazii..wedding audience shld be max 50 sef.thank God I av lovely parents dat don't mind..
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by shejane: 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2013
Nd u thk uar safe in d city?

Witches wil gt 2 u whereever uar

Witches 4m ur village can send it 2 u in d city so be reasonable

Is only d grace of God nd nt by running away 4m ur village
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 19, 2013
Erotex: no place like home!! Marry ur tribe, to avoid wahala.
If i dey UK and my wife won born i must depot her to Igboland cuz any Igbo person who was born out of Igboland e no go ever dey complete , he will Alwz behave like the place whr he was born.
Ka anyi jebe Enugu obodo oyibo!!

Crazy man grin grin

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ochukoccna: 5:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
Excellentspirit: Most of the people that do their traditional marriage especially in the cities to me don't know their roots or they re amongst d “OSU” or they are slaves. African Culture generally is dwindling. *smh
Meringe:
My friend, this is a general problem that's affecting every igbo state now and not peculiar to any igbo state. I have seen Anambra peeps that does it.
Manager Finance in my workplace from Obosi , anambra state that will retire from service next year can not speak igbo. What do you expect from his kids? These are the people that can subscribe to have their trad weddn in the city.

This posts above I believe contain the crux of the matter i.e. erosion of African cultural practices by agents of globalization
The op might have said her cousins 'hate' their father's village but I believe what she meant to say was they cannot relate nor connect with their 'roots'
I wonder what will happen to our so called 'culture' when the present generation of our parents aged 50 and above die off
Many young ones go to their various villages across Nigeria because their parents/guardians compel them
Many have been told by this same ones and Nollywood that our villages and extended families are peopled by witches and wizards
Apart from during ceremonies like weddings, yam festivals or the yuletide and similar seasons;many a young people can't relate with the village nor function properly there seeing most of what constitutes life to them along with their natural inclinations are formed in cities and towns far from removed from the village
To now expect such globalized people to function in our villages because of culture and tradition is outright dishonest to say the least
Finally,we (Nigeria's various tribes) have to reinvent ourselves as a people seeing we are holding on to many customs and traditions that the boat of humanity has long evolved from
Culture is supposed to be dynamic but many of us are still marooned in practices which our cultures and traditions ought to have evolved and finetuned to reflect current realities and trends.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by shejane: 5:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
Marry 4m ur tribe nd some1 dat av d same belief wt u
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Chamackh(m): 5:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
There is this yourba girl that loves me so much, I like though but I have to back off cos I want my children to learn Igbo cos I value my language, wouldn't want tomorrow my kids will start speaking a foreign language other that Igbo, though it may sound somehow but obu egwu uche. this issue at hand bu owom di na ilu onye n'abughi Igbo. Some people don't go home cos they committed something probably Aru (sacriledge) in their home town.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
Do they casssh and eat people in her village? I love it when people give reasons for their stance.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by shejane: 5:29pm On Sep 19, 2013
We nigerians alwys copy western culture forgeting we av culture

Dats y so many tins ar happening now in dis co3

I wonda wen western pple wil start 2 copy our own culture

Culture is pples way of life

Give ur kinsmen der rights nd it must nt b in a big way nd den take ur wedding 2 d bahamas if u wat nt only abuja

Fake pple wt fake life

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ladygogo: 5:32pm On Sep 19, 2013
grin grin grin funny thread. whats wrong with having your trad wedding where u are based? as long as the traditonal rites are carried out at the wedding then you've done your trad wedding. shikena. kinsmen? why are you making this nonmuhfuggin factors important? where they in anyway responsible for your upkeep? seriously? Isnt culture supposed to evolve by the way? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by cheche98(f): 5:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
vivianc: Ama m nke mga ekwu kita oputa okwu grin grin Most igbos wey dey do their trad for mba (outside) no get strong kinsmen relationship, or them no even dey in good terms with their kinsmen.

According to our culture, no be only the parents get the daughter.

So if you father no get umunna, it would be easier for you to do your trad na mba.
true!!!! Some of them committed one atrocity hence banned from the clan.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 19, 2013
Pls lemme ask a question, what if the parents are late ....both mum and dad? Is it also compulsory to do it in the villa , head by extend families? undecided
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 19, 2013
Nwa Anambra: ebee ka onye ara a si dakaputakwa? biko fucckk OOF

Bush man, I don see you.oya disappear .
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

Okay oh grin

I don't mean to pry but what's with secret ish? Village winch and wizards fit vanquish diaspora folks right from their seats in the village anyways so it's of no use hiding grin grin

Hubby is a first target for kidnappers. I fit dodge them but he cannot. So it's for security reasons. cheesy

I be winch my self but those men wey dey parade the states...I fear them pass anything.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by cheche98(f): 5:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce: It's not compulsory ! My traditional marriage was done online sef! No time for kidnap victim. cheesy...

Wired the money for umunna and umunne dem...

Any umunna wey no like am, fvck off!
you are joking right! Nne forget about modernization. You don't joke with the umunna/tradition. Its not about the money you gonna give them.if you mess with umunna,they ll ignore you and your family even @ death. You ll never find them. Such family will never be recognized no matter what happens.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by s3nn2x(m): 5:53pm On Sep 19, 2013
I think it is ideal for your friend to do hers in the village because she has to know her roots na. Her father knows what he is talking about. The same thing happened to my elder sister. She wanted to do her traditional marriage in Lagos because we were born and bred here, but my mother and family members refused because that would have been the only time of her going to the village. Her introduction was done in Lagos, traditional wedding was done in the village and white wedding will be done in Lagos this Saturday.

So, if money is not an issue, I will advise your friend to do it in the village.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Its Our One Year Anniversary / Life With Two Stubborn Teenage Boys : My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.