Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,909 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25123 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Afam4eva(m): 9:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

Which culture are we importing?
Foreign culture...First, it's that we mustn't hold our traditional wedding in our ancestral home. Very soon, it will be that, we mustn't invite elders from the village. We can make do with the elders that are where we're based. Whether or nor they're from our village or tribe. Then very soon, it will graduate to, why must we even wear our traditional attire in our traditional wedding, why not a suit or evening gown. Afterall the world is a global village...Is it not better to just not do a traditional marriage than to make a mockery of it. Afterall, a lot of Nigerians have come to embrace White Wedding as the main wedding while the Traditional wedding is peripheral.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

Does scraping totally and evolving dynamically mean the same to you?

Is it how the British monarchy was that it is now?

Is kate from the royal family?

See this woman undecided

How bout Sarah Fagurson and Di , are they from Royal families?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by flyingdutchman(m): 9:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
pri3stess: I don't think the trad should be held at any specific place, I think it's all about preference. Now if the father is not contributing anything to the wedding except his blessings, I will just advice the bride to go ahead with the trad with the trad anywhere if he chooses not to attend that's his own cup of tea.
Eyaaa! I can see the nollywood reserving a stereotyped role for you- you are indeed shallow minded. yuck!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
NL member: @Ileobatojo,

God bless you jare for your wonderful arguments on this thread.
May you live long, iseeeeee grin

I have been arguing many of the things same you are saying on this thread for years and doing that can get so tiring sometimes, honestly.
A person needs to have plenty of patience to deal with the blockheads in this country that have vowed to make sure the lot of females never improves.

Anyway I just came to commend you and give some words of encouragement for your good work on nairaland.

Keep it up smiley

Who are you and why do I love you so much already? grin

Thanks! kiss kiss

As to the bolded comment, standing freaking ovation!!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

Really?

[s]I guess you have nothing against polygamy, female circumcision or wife battery and dehumanization.

Like you said, you are either for it or against it[/s] .

Ya Really.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 9:33pm On Sep 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Foreign culture...First, it's that we mustn't hold our traditional wedding in our ancestral home. Very soon, it will be that, we mustn't invite elders from the village. We can make do with the elders that are where we're based. Whether or nor they're from our village or tribe. Then very soon, it will graduate to, why must we even wear our traditional attire in our traditional wedding, why not a suit or evening gown. Afterall the world is a global village...Is it not better to just not do a traditional marriage than to make a mockery of it. Afterall, a lot of Nigerians have come to embrace White Wedding as the main wedding while the Traditional wedding is peripheral.

Which foreign culture dictates your post?

So you are telling me that in 2050, if the whole of Nigeria became urban, traditional marriage might be scrapped.

In the days of old, was the trad not done where the family of the girl resides? What is the use of going to the village if her family is in Lag or any other location?

Some people don't even know some of their family members before the trad.

It is well o.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 9:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
jidegirl12: .

See this woman undecided

So you know other examples of commoners who married/had relationships with the royal family and yet their culture has not evolved?

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

So you know other examples of commoners who married/had relationships with the royal family and yet their culture has not evolved?

Look at this woman going back and forth.

Weren't you the one that stated how British Monarchy's culture doesn't support marrying a commoner and I stated other women that were commoners and married into the family to prove you wrong? In other words its not a taboo in Monarchy's culture to marry a commoner.

What is wrong with you guys??

I'm going to the fun room jare , I don't have time for back and forth.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 19, 2013
lady gogo:

@ile. well said! To the people comparing Us with the British Monarchy. Do you think Prince William would have married Kate Middleton(Commoner) if it were to be during the Industrial Revolution? abi why are you all following oyinbo man religion sef? Why you no dey worship Amadioha, obatala and sango? grin Now thats a good one.

Brilliant questions o! I hope they will stop to think.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by armyofone(m): 9:49pm On Sep 19, 2013
about time Nig do away with all the freaking culture and live their lives.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 19, 2013
ileobatojo:

Who are you and why do I love you so much already? grin

Thanks! kiss kiss
Uwelcome. This is another username and no I can't tell you the other one is

tongue
As to the bolded comment, standing freaking ovation!!

cool
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
armyofone: about time Nig do away with all the freaking culture and live their lives.

I never wanted to join in this argument but I will indulge u.
What r the freaking culture?
It seems u don't know much about white pple cos they r more cultural than us. We evolve and emulate others, they hardly do. I can vividly remember a british royal that wedded a yoruba gal.
An assignment for u;go and check what the royal family did to that guy.

Simple to go to ur root and tie the knot, pple r arguing back and forth but u can comfortably wear wedding gown that u don't know its origin. Nobody said go to the shrine or whatever but only go home and tie the knot.
In my place, any man that decides to do abuja wedding for his children should forget home either living or dead.

What kind of lv is that

Either u hv a secret to hide or u r an outcast. PERIOD.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
NL member:
Uwelcome. This is another username and no I can't tell you the other one is

tongue

I'm racking my brains trying to figure out who it could be Lol!

Anyways, stick around!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by katch1(m): 10:09pm On Sep 19, 2013
pri3stess: I don't think the trad should be held at any specific place, I think it's all about preference. Now if the father is not contributing anything to the wedding except his blessings, I will just advice the bride to go ahead with the trad with the trad anywhere if he chooses not to attend that's his own cup of tea.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ladygogo: 10:11pm On Sep 19, 2013
jidegirl12: .

See this woman undecided

Well the world had already become more modern by the time Sarah fergie married Prince Andrew. I doubt it would have happend if it was in the middle ages or 17th century. At least we had already started listening to radio and watching tv. grin
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ladygogo: 10:18pm On Sep 19, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
It seems u don't know much about white pple cos they r more cultural than us. We evolve and emulate others, they hardly do. I can vividly remember a british royal that wedded a yoruba gal.

Simple to go to ur root and tie the knot, pple r arguing back and forth but u can comfortably wear wedding gown that u don't know its origin. Nobody said go to the shrine or whatever but only go home and tie the knot.
In my place, any man that decides to do abuja wedding for his children should forget home either living or dead.

What kind of lv is that

grin grin grin grin grin So if I dont go to Igbo-Itoku in Abeokuta for my trad wedding it means i have something to hide. Still laughing o! cheesy Why do we like making life difficult for ourselves in Nigeria? If these rites can be carried out where i reside why do i have to go down to the village for it just so i could please some yeye kinsmen?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
I've watched a lot of documentaries where oyinbos trace their root. I followed tia and tamera's journey on reality tv.
So many of them. Why r they doing that?
Cus they wanna fill d void inside, the emptiness and hv a sense of belonging.
A woman is even better. U r a man, ur mama born u 4 Lagos, u did everything in Lagos, marry in lagos, ur children r called lagos children. I dey laugh at u cos Lagosians know themselves. God forbid something happens, that day u will know u r not omo ekoo.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
yellowpawpaw:

What kind of lv is that

You dey mind them?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Ebynwa5: 10:40pm On Sep 19, 2013
it is very very compulsory, cos home is really home. lols
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by COOLDUN: 10:53pm On Sep 19, 2013
unmask: what the eff is it with traditional marriages and even burials........

What is the use of traditional marriage anyways....get a judge and get married for the women its better, that way your husband won't throw you out at a whim.....customs my foot.....

Is the dowry and all the others going to your God in heaven? Isn't it going to one god or the other.....

Only God can bless your union whether you do 1million trads, it won't matter

so if the lady says she doesn't want to go to the village, what happens the papa refuses to give her out in marriage?......I trust the gal nah she knows her stock is drying out fast, so when she sees a mugu willing to waste his life by getting married she won't want to let go

life na jeje o......u can't serve God and serve mammon.....

Jesus' blood has deleted all those from our lives

shikena

Traditional marriage is not all about MONEY, neither is it fetish, many men collect no dowry nowadays from their son in-laws, this is all about giving the girl finally out to her husband in the presence of the villagers and kinsmen, blessing the couples in the family where she was born/her father's house, whether it is a mud house or edifice.

I have attended a traditional marriage in a village where the villagers only served their native food Abacha and palm wine, the man that was marrying the girl is never rich, the villagers according to their laws and tradition contributed many items for the couples ranging from food stuffs, planting seeds, furniture, kitchen equipments and even some cash for the new couple to start a life.

All the money the guests sprayed them when they were dancing was given to the couples, a man in the village who is very rich gave their son in law a plot of land for building anytime he wants, and told him to sell it if he wishes. Many of us cried like baby that day. Now the couples are doing perfectly well with the gifts they got from their traditional marriage.

Many people come online to comment trash on what they know nothing about. Calling it traditional marriage never makes it fetish, many communities like mine has made it easier nowadays for the couples to do the traditional marriage and white wedding the same day in a way to cut down the expenses.

Traditional marriage is never a must that the couple must spend all their money, it is cut your coat according to your size. Foolish people call it fetish because it is called a traditional marriage and celebrated in the village, but forgot that the Christmas day they are celebrating on the 25th December every year is not the actual date. No one knows whether it is a day of Mammon or other gods. I hate when people claim to be saints while they are more than devil itself.

Any woman i want to marry, who insists that our traditional marriage should be in the township have lost me as a husband. I would be glad to let my wife's kinsmen to know that their daughter is being married by a man, no matter the distance and security challenges. I will give them what i have and no one will force me to do what i can't. Marriage things never finish as my father told me.

Good people take their marriages home, while fake people rush theirs outside their villages. Traditional marriage is never a fetish/devilish. Only the people who dodge their villages are fetish/devilish.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by luggy(m): 11:01pm On Sep 19, 2013
Listing to me, the real igbo does their tradition wedding in the village, accept u or ur parents ware banished from d village. But if it is white wedding, u can do it in the store, u do it kitchen, market, river, lagos and also abuja.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by vivianc(f): 11:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
I can't imagine myself having my trad in BY, Phc, Abj, London, or any place other than my father's compound in my hometown. Tufiakwa!!! Chineke ekwena ka ngwere gbaa achii! Ada di ka m? My trad won't even happen in an uncle's compound o, ama nna m echiri echi? Ashi gbagbuo kwa ihe ojoor! What then would be my pride? Or I should tell a man "eh, my umunna are evil, after all they didn't contribute a dime to what i am today so let's forget about those witches and wizard at home and their stupid tradition?" hehehehehe maka na adara m na elu? If they are witches and wizard, i'm one of them, any man that would marry me would have me given to him by these wizards and it wouldn't made me a little proud.

Like I said earlier, the Igbos that do this otherwise were either ostracised by their umunna, or they are osu, etc.

Infact, its even humiliating for a man to stand alone without being backed by his umunna in any traditional thing he does. So any father who can stand this humiliation indeed has something to hide, period.

Ok, let me picture another scenario where you would hire a bus and tell your umunna to enter, they are going to their daughter's traditional marriage in Lagos or Abuja. grin grin

Wetin I no go hear for nairaland? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by vivianc(f): 11:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
The man for kukuma come carry me for free na. Ah ah since tradition na babash.......... In fact, as onye obodo oyibo wey I be, he doesn't even need to pay my bride price. Just buy ring carry me go church.

After all we are in the 21st century.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
lady gogo:

[/b] grin grin grin grin grin So if I dont go to Igbo-Itoku in Abeokuta for my trad wedding it means i have something to hide. Still laughing o! cheesy Why do we like making life difficult for ourselves in Nigeria? If these rites can be carried out where i reside why do i have to go down to the village for it just so i could please some yeye kinsmen?
Not for any yeye kinsmen but to make ur father proud, to save ur face b4 ur husband and his pple cos one day one day, somebody gotta open his mouth and u won't like it.
Also to save ur children unecessary agony and humiliation if they decide to trace their mum's root.
Isn't it ironical that u marry a man with background, that can go to his place and come back yet u don't hv a HOME except the house ur daddy built in d city? Only if it wasn't a rented house sef.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 19, 2013
Viv you got me laughing hard grin

My Dad calls it 'iyawo ori iko' ( hanger wife grin).. You know how you grab your jacket from hanger in your closet with authority .. Hoho exactly
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Sep 19, 2013
vivianc: The man for kukuma come carry me for free na. Ah ah since tradition na babash.......... In fact, as onye obodo oyibo wey I be, he doesn't even need to pay my bride price. Just buy ring carry me go church.

After all we are in the 21st century.
My dear, I'm quite shocked at some of d posts I'm seeing here just to prove we r modern pple in a modern society.
Ajebo my foot.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Vic2u(m): 11:31pm On Sep 19, 2013
Ada Nri1: Mind you in Igbo land it is not only her father that owns her o. She is the child of the whole community.
This will teach her father a lesson in his next life. Marry a woman who is willing to accept your culture and tradition and embrace your people. "kita ndi ozo ga ekeli nnwa oso nwelu" ngwanu ndi na nu di na nwunye na mba, ike dikwa unu
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by COOLDUN: 11:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
famousurch:
Don't mind the man a real nwa afo Igbo will not marry ndi ofe m, no matter d pressure. It is a lesson to the intending to be ndi ofe m inlaws

Nwanne m, that woman as a Kwara woman never married that Igbo man for LOVE, it is a taboo for a real yoruba man/woman to marry a Kwara man/woman. Whenver they see another fellow from another tribe in the country they will rush the person. When you make that mistake you are gone forver. The first thing they do is to brainwash your children with somany nasty stories about you and your people so that the children will remain in their domain.

The Kwara yorubas have one bad culture that permites their men to be sharing their wives with their brothers, when their younger brothers enters into their houses with their wives, they would leave their foot wears at the door, when the husbands of the women see the foot wears they would say Abro mi wa nile, meaning that my junior brother is in my house, he will excuse them till he finishes with his wife.

Just make a personal research over what i have just writen down here and see if i made any false accusation. For a real yoruba to marry a kwara fellow is a big TABOO. From the story of the girl's mother , i know that the children of that Igbo man are gone. Sorry is the man's new name name now.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by vivianc(f): 11:44pm On Sep 19, 2013
YYP Nne m, aru na eme na this nairaland, I swear!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by manny4life(m): 11:47pm On Sep 19, 2013
vivianc: YYP Nne m, aru na eme na this nairaland, I swear!

That's people for you na, so no blame them..
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by manny4life(m): 11:50pm On Sep 19, 2013
vivianc: I can't imagine myself having my trad in BY, Phc, Abj, London, or any place other than my father's compound in my hometown. Tufiakwa!!! Chineke ekwena ka ngwere gbaa achii! Ada di ka m? My trad won't even happen in an uncle's compound o, ama nna m echiri echi? Ashi gbagbuo kwa ihe ojoor! What then would be my pride? Or I should tell a man "eh, my umunna are evil, after all they didn't contribute a dime to what i am today so let's forget about those witches and wizard at home and their stupid tradition?" hehehehehe maka na adara m na elu? If they are witches and wizard, i'm one of them, any man that would marry me would have me given to him by these wizards and it wouldn't made me a little proud.

Like I said earlier, the Igbos that do this otherwise were either ostracised by their umunna, or they are osu, etc.

Infact, its even humiliating for a man to stand alone without being backed by his umunna in any traditional thing he does. So any father who can stand this humiliation indeed has something to hide, period.

Ok, let me picture another scenario where you would hire a bus and tell your umunna to enter, they are going to their daughter's traditional marriage in Lagos or Abuja. grin grin

Wetin I no go hear for nairaland? grin grin

Lol... Correct igbo girl. your comments are funny like hell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Its Our One Year Anniversary / Life With Two Stubborn Teenage Boys : My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.