Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,282 members, 7,811,833 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25120 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 12:28pm On Sep 19, 2013
Dr young:
Igbos value their traditions as other tribes do. Umunna and umuada who happens to be your relations are supposed to be there. Is not about me and my immediate family and circle of friends, there is this close ties Igbos have with their relations that they keep on trying to reinforce irrespective of whereever they live. problem arises when you view people in the village as witches and city people as saints.
Personally, I will always acknowledge my far and distant relations cos they contributed in making me what I am today.
There is no law that says it is suppose to be in the village but let's not forget our roots.
bro, I disagree with the bolded. Anyi agaghi ahupu omenala n' eme omenelu..
Why traditional marriage (AKA collecting/paying of bride price) is done in the village is to let Ndi-Ogo, (In-laws) to know and appreciate that our daughter has a root. That she has people and her people will be ready to stand by her through thick and thin.....
But some ladies in their 'wisdom' think that tradition is useless. That is why in this day and age, a man (example Solomon Akiyesi) will 'legally' marry three wives and keep the knowledge a secret from the women because all he did was visit a rented apartment/ duplex in Lagos or Abuja and pay some money to a man who is the 'father' of the bride.
Ofu onye adiro amu nwa n' ala Igbo.

10 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 19, 2013
jidegirl12: Chilli Chilli you don kolo!

Even me wey be Yoruba still went to my grandfather's compound in the village to pay my respect for my trado. Lets not rubbish our heritage oh. Nigerian women change oooooo tongue grin

Wetin concern concern trado. I no rubbish anything. Did the best in the situation cheesy.

Hubby paid his respect seeing Popsi and better elders secretly. As per the main event, me i no wan hear story abeg.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 12:37pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce:

Wetin concern concern trado. I no rubbish anything. Did the best in the situation cheesy.

Hubby paid his respect seeing Popsi and better elders secretly. As per the main event, me i no wan hear story abeg.

buahahahaha. Secret thingz, abeg no mind me ohh.......enjoy your marriage jare........bad belle like me.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

Eagle eye, carry your own go village, e no concern me o. I do my own online grin. The koko....I just dey use Skype dey see as dem de drink the champagne and red wine from Bordeaux.

You fit wake up your ancestors sef give dem bride price for their grave, na you Sabi...

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

buahahahaha. Secret thingz, abeg no mind me ohh.......enjoy your marriage jare........bad belle like me.

Yes oh, secret things.......
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce:

Okay oh grin

I don't mean to pry but what's with secret ish? Village winch and wizards fit vanquish diaspora folks right from their seats in the village anyways so it's of no use hiding grin grin
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 19, 2013
For Igbo people it is a must.

What a wasteful practice.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2013
Phiozy: Please I need an answer ASAP. My cousin is getting married soon, and this has been bothering her seriously. She happens to be Igbo, but with a mother from Kwara state(yoruba).

The children are very close to their mother who despite being married to an Igbo man, despises the Igbos(especially Umu village). Unfortunately, they(my cousins) were all born and brought up in the North, and they understand yoruba only, depise Igbos too, and have never being to the village.

Now my cousin is getting married(to a yoruba man) and wants her wedding(white and traditional) here in Abuja, but the dad insists that they must do the traditional marriage in the village or no traditional marriage at all.

I've asked friends around and they said it depends on the village, tradition and her position in the family(1st or 2nd daughter), and luckily for her, she happens to be the second(the 1st daughter who married a yoruba man too, also had same issue, but only did an introduction in form of Traditional marriage and a court marriage here in Abuja).

Although I'm an Ada, grew up in Abuja, but have no problem doing mine in the village if that be the case(maybe because I schooled in the East).

But Please I would like to know, is it COMPULSORY for an Igbo lady to do her traditional marriage in the village?

You cousin no get shame at all

How will she do traditional marriage in the town. Does she want to be ridiculed by her in-laws as someone without roots for the rest of her life?

Does she want her own parents to be treated with disdain for giving out their daughter for 'free' undecided

I'm embarrassed for her sef!

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by omonnakoda: 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2013
I believe the OP is Ibo as all Ibos identify with one village or the other(Umunna Tinz grin) .Not all Nigerians are from a village though
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by flyingdutchman(m): 3:34pm On Sep 19, 2013
Nonsense- Father Igbo, mother yoruba- of course the children would be Igbos. See what tribal discrimination can cause even at home? Apperently, the mother doesnm't love the father enough. Shame! LET HER DO HER TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE AT HAWAII- she'll soon discover the importance of a father's blessing
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pri3stess(f): 3:34pm On Sep 19, 2013
I don't think the trad should be held at any specific place, I think it's all about preference. Now if the father is not contributing anything to the wedding except his blessings, I will just advice the bride to go ahead with the trad with the trad anywhere if he chooses not to attend that's his own cup of tea.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by joshuaidibia(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
C question. Whr do u want it 2b den? Dats y it is called TRADITIONAL WEDDING! D village u come 4rm,dat gave u some common sense should rejoice with u. Or do u want to do it in township and let everybody at the village think oda wise? Like,u're resisting dm,dnt wnt dm to CHOP ur rice (u knw hw sm village ppl tink). In my opinion,it is gud u do it in d village. Although sm stil do theirs elswhr. #The gods re wise. Dnt take dere tradition 2 town#
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Oguieke(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
well, in igbo culture traditional marriage is for the bride's kinsmen and must be in the village and not any other place. white wedding can be done any other place. mine is coming up soon, all NLS are invited.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by xynerise: 3:37pm On Sep 19, 2013
Traditional wedding should be done where the kinsmen and bride's family can easily witness and the best place is her root

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 3:39pm On Sep 19, 2013
pri3stess: I don't think the trad should be held at any specific place, I think it's all about preference. Now if the father is not contributing anything to the wedding except his blessings, I will just advice the bride to go ahead with the trad with the trad anywhere if he chooses not to attend that's his own cup of tea.
You should have adviced that the girl is given out for free.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Lilimax(f): 3:42pm On Sep 19, 2013
Ujujoan:

You cousin no get shame at all

How will she do traditional marriage in the town. Does she want to be ridiculed by her in-laws as someone without roots for the rest of her life?

Does she want her own parents to be treated with disdain for giving out their daughter for 'free' undecided

I'm embarrassed for her sef!
Well said!.
The reason it's called traditional marriage is for your kinsmen to partake in giving out their daughter grin.
After the traditional marrige rites, you can go ahead and do your white wedding in the moon if you wish.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by taiocol: 3:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
The tradition marriage is more important than the church marriage... YES......

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by claremont(m): 3:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
It's a good thing I didn't get married to my Igbo ex, so I would have been compelled to go all the way to her remote village for the traditional?!

Nonsense and backward culture.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by patpeypey: 3:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
Simple! Import your elders from the villages to ABUJA! Simple grin

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce: It's not compulsory ! My traditional marriage was done online sef! No time for kidnap victim. cheesy...

Wired the money for umunna and umunne dem...

Any umunna wey no like am, fvck off!

Well done jare!! If I vex sef, I no go do trad!! Pay dem dia dues n do my church wedding... Ihukwa'm eshishi!! undecided undecided
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by vinkela(m): 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

I was the one that liked your post. No wahala.
When burial time come, (am not wishing you evil ohh) make you waybill the corpse ohh.
cremation things
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
Mind you in Igbo land it is not only her father that owns her o. She is the child of the whole community.
This will teach her father a lesson in his next life. Marry a woman who is willing to accept your culture and tradition and embrace your people. "kita ndi ozo ga ekeli nnwa oso nwelu" ngwanu ndi na nu di na nwunye na mba, ike dikwa unu

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by kenjudy(m): 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
Children of nowadays! Make una change oooo! Go back to ur tradition ooo make things better for una. Since wey we dey do dis oyibo tinz, how has our lives been? Na question ooo! Okay. We dey watch na. Ndi be anyi sikwa na "nwata siri na nne ya agaghi arahu ura, ura agaghikwa agafe ya na anya ooo"! Ogwukwa ka oham na onu...

As for me, If my future na sakadelic bebe, she dey on her own ooo. Becos na only my trado wedding go hot, white wedding na only close frnds and family if I no go call priest to put d ring on my trado sef. All na wedding ni

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 19, 2013
It is not compulsory .. But any girl you ask will tell you that traditional marriage is a must and it must be elaborate... In their usual words ( i want my whole village to know...)

She is not contributing N1 to her requests o...
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 4:01pm On Sep 19, 2013
tchidi:

Well done jare!! If I vex sef, I no go do trad!! Pay dem dia dues n do my church wedding... Ihukwa'm eshishi!! undecided undecided
wetin you think say be traditional wedding?
You think that dancing and eating is traditional wedding? SMH
Chai.... the paying of bride price or dues as you labelled it, is the traditional wedding..... and the money (no matter how small or big) is collected in the village. Other things you decide to do after that is Jara.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by esbjaygmailco(m): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
ok, wedding thing

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eightsin(m): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
It's not compulsory but it sure puts respect on the family which of cos is very important.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Trypant(f): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
Na waooooo! Plz ans this, Is it compulsory for food to enter my stomach? Post ASAP....Tnx .....you are a fool!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by searay(m): 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
@OP, Tradition is tradition, I would advise you to encourage your cousin to do it. If you don't do it someone can go and report you to your ancestors, someones head can roll. Even the bible has said that we should not be ignorance of the devices of the devil. I rest my suit case.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
Ada Nri1: Mind you in Igbo land it is not only her father that owns her o. She is the child of the whole community.
This will teach her father a lesson in his next life. Marry a woman who is willing to accept your culture and tradition and embrace your people. "kita ndi ozo ga ekeli nnwa oso nwelu" ngwanu ndi na nu di na nwunye na mba, ike dikwa unu
Tell them ohhhhh. umu efulefu

8 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eightsin(m): 4:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
pri3stess: I don't think the trad should be held at any specific place, I think it's all about preference. Now if the father is not contributing anything to the wedding except his blessings, I will just advice the bride to go ahead with the trad with the trad anywhere if he chooses not to attend that's his own cup of tea.

Easier said than done!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / 14 Year Old Boy Jailed For Killing Step Mother's Chicken / How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.