Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25126 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by chiogoezubem(f): 8:07am On Sep 20, 2013
vivianc: I can't imagine myself having my trad in BY, Phc, Abj, London, or any place other than my father's compound in my hometown. Tufiakwa!!! Chineke ekwena ka ngwere gbaa achii! Ada di ka m? My trad won't even happen in an uncle's compound o, ama nna m echiri echi? Ashi gbagbuo kwa ihe ojoor! What then would be my pride? Or I should tell a man "eh, my umunna are evil, after all they didn't contribute a dime to what i am today so let's forget about those witches and wizard at home and their stupid tradition?" hehehehehe maka na adara m na elu? If they are witches and wizard, i'm one of them, any man that would marry me would have me given to him by these wizards and it wouldn't made me a little proud.

Like I said earlier, the Igbos that do this otherwise were either ostracised by their umunna, or they are osu, etc.

Infact, its even humiliating for a man to stand alone without being backed by his umunna in any traditional thing he does. So any father who can stand this humiliation indeed has something to hide, period.

Ok, let me picture another scenario where you would hire a bus and tell your umunna to enter, they are going to their daughter's traditional marriage in Lagos or Abuja. grin grin

Wetin I no go hear for nairaland? grin grin

Gbam!!! Ezi okwu bu ndu! Adannaa, you are an authentic daughter of the land... No illegitimate tins
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bellong: 8:08am On Sep 20, 2013
COOLDUN:

Nwanne m, that woman as a Kwara woman never married that Igbo man for LOVE, it is a taboo for a real yoruba man/woman to marry a Kwara man/woman. [/b]Whenver they see another fellow from another tribe in the country they will rush the person. When you make that mistake you are gone forver. The first thing they do is to brainwash your children with somany nasty stories about you and your people so that the children will remain in their domain.

[b]The Kwara yorubas have one bad culture that permites their men to be sharing their wives with their brothers, when their younger brothers enters into their houses with their wives, they would leave their foot wears at the door, when the husbands of the women see the foot wears they would say Abro mi wa nile, meaning that my junior brother is in my house, he will excuse them till he finishes with his wife.

Just make a personal research over what i have just writen down here and see if i made any false accusation. For a real yoruba to marry a kwara fellow is a big TABOO. From the story of the girl's mother , i know that the children of that Igbo man are gone. Sorry is the man's new name name now.

Where did you get the bolded statements from? Will you please stop spewing thrash and misinforming people here. How comfortable was it for you to confidently type the BS above. Half education is worse than ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pickabeau1: 8:10am On Sep 20, 2013
correct

You see should the asians..

They are at home with their culture and modern ish

In afrika, we call it backward yet we are not even as developed as the asians

jidegirl12:

You dey mind them (Nigerian women especially) ?

Anybody except the Queen and her family is a 'commoner' grin but our own dey rubbish their own culture in name of 21st century.

**It's either you are for it or against it.... No need foaming from two sides of your mouth.

Ish
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pickabeau1: 8:15am On Sep 20, 2013
beautiful afican queen

Ngodigha: Destination Alaigbo.
For those who want to turn Igbo culture upside down, may you all perish unsong.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Neddyogu(m): 8:16am On Sep 20, 2013
vivianc: Ama m nke mga ekwu kita oputa okwu grin grin Most igbos wey dey do their trad for mba (outside) no get strong kinsmen relationship, or them no even dey in good terms with their kinsmen.

According to our culture, no be only the parents get the daughter.

So if you father no get umunna, it would be easier for you to do your trad na mba.
GBAM!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 20, 2013
vivianc: I can't imagine myself having my trad in BY, Phc, Abj, London, or any place other than my father's compound in my hometown. Tufiakwa!!! Chineke ekwena ka ngwere gbaa achii! Ada di ka m? My trad won't even happen in an uncle's compound o, ama nna m echiri echi? Ashi gbagbuo kwa ihe ojoor! What then would be my pride? Or I should tell a man "eh, my umunna are evil, after all they didn't contribute a dime to what i am today so let's forget about those witches and wizard at home and their stupid tradition?" hehehehehe maka na adara m na elu? If they are witches and wizard, i'm one of them, any man that would marry me would have me given to him by these wizards and it wouldn't made me a little proud.

Like I said earlier, the Igbos that do this otherwise were either ostracised by their umunna, or they are osu, etc.

Infact, its even humiliating for a man to stand alone without being backed by his umunna in any traditional thing he does. So any father who can stand this humiliation indeed has something to hide, period.

Ok, let me picture another scenario where you would hire a bus and tell your umunna to enter, they are going to their daughter's traditional marriage in Lagos or Abuja. grin grin

Wetin I no go hear for nairaland? grin grin

Story

5 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by chiogoezubem(f): 8:22am On Sep 20, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
I never wanted to join in this argument but I will indulge u.
What r the freaking culture?
It seems u don't know much about white pple cos they r more cultural than us. We evolve and emulate others, they hardly do. I can vividly remember a british royal that wedded a yoruba gal.
An assignment for u;go and check what the royal family did to that guy.

Simple to go to ur root and tie the knot, pple r arguing back and forth but u can comfortably wear wedding gown that u don't know its origin. Nobody said go to the shrine or whatever but only go home and tie the knot.
In my place, any man that decides to do abuja wedding for his children should forget home either living or dead.

What kind of lv is that

Either u hv a secret to hide or u r an outcast. PERIOD.

Exactly! They keep talking about globalization and all but they forget that a people or the other are the owners of that culture they call 'modern'! Some people talking here and supporting trad wedding in the city don't even know where they are from, much more knowing the roads that lead there. Its appalling!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 20, 2013
COOLDUN:

There are two people you may represent if you are an Igbo, one is OSU and the other one is UME, if you are not from either of these two outcasts, then your family is EFULEFU. It is only people from these two outcasts that rush their marriages outside their villages. And Online.

For the girl in question, i don't blame her for choosing to marry in the township. I lived most of my life in Yoruba towns, then i discovered that the main Yorubas don't marry from Kwara because they see them as Yoruba OUTCAST. So their mother knows why she married their father and why she is preaching hatred to their minds towards their kinsmen.

I am a full born Igbo man, never an OSU nor UME, i am advising the husband to be of this girl in question to ask deeply of the origin of this girl before you marry a wife that will make your kinsmen to outlaw you, if really you are an Igbo man. Unless you are the same cast with her, because they say that the birds of same feathers flock together.

My fellow real Igbo men/women, The Igbu bu Igbos, please think twice when a girl/man rushes you to do your marriage in the township, be careful so that you will not buy Taiwan goods in the name of American goods. Just an advice.

No reasonable fellow would ever dump her/his kinsmen all in the name of security reason; there is no country with 100% security free. Not all that glitters is gold o, this Igbo girl with Kwara mother is so doubtful to me. I will never marry OSU/UME even if i am POPE FRANCIS. My parents are never OSU/UME, and i will never make that mistake. Religion apart.

We all know our roots. Thank you all. if you married online, then expect your corpse to be buried online too.Nonesesense

My dear, ppl have different opinion, after all you married because the girls parents are wealthy so you can get a better life. I did my traditional online now am OSU abi na UNE. grin

Am not the broke guy that married for better life. I wonder too if your wife is an OSU...does it matter. As far as her money is keeping you in check.

You better start making your pay check before she kicks you out. Tribal warlord spewing bull crap
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 20, 2013
COOLDUN:

There are two people you may represent if you are an Igbo, one is OSU and the other one is UME, if you are not from either of these two outcasts, then your family is EFULEFU. It is only people from these two outcasts that rush their marriages outside their villages. And Online.

For the girl in question, i don't blame her for choosing to marry in the township. I lived most of my life in Yoruba towns, then i discovered that the main Yorubas don't marry from Kwara because they see them as Yoruba OUTCAST . So their mother knows why she married their father and why she is preaching hatred to their minds towards their kinsmen.

I am a full born Igbo man, never an OSU nor UME, i am advising the husband to be of this girl in question to ask deeply of the origin of this girl before you marry a wife that will make your kinsmen to outlaw you, if really you are an Igbo man. Unless you are the same cast with her, because they say that the birds of same feathers flock together.

My fellow real Igbo men/women, The Igbu bu Igbos, please think twice when a girl/man rushes you to do your marriage in the township, be careful so that you will not buy Taiwan goods in the name of American goods. Just an advice.

No reasonable fellow would ever dump her/his kinsmen all in the name of security reason; there is no country with 100% security free. Not all that glitters is gold o, this Igbo girl with Kwara mother is so doubtful to me. I will never marry OSU/UME even if i am POPE FRANCIS. My parents are never OSU/UME, and i will never make that mistake. Religion apart.

We all know our roots. Thank you all. if you married online, then expect your corpse to be buried online too.Nonesesense

You're a liar.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ozor333(m): 9:23am On Sep 20, 2013
If mary yuroba woman,
1. she will never like her children to know their papa village. bcoz they believe igbo people are moral bad.
2.forget about igbo language, all their life living activities will base on yuroba cultures
3. they fall in categories of those who always says my papa say I be Igbo.
so what do you except from dis kind of UMU EFULEFU ?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by mezzyp(m): 9:34am On Sep 20, 2013
yellowpawpaw: If I were the guy, I will back off. Love will not make me to marry a gal that hates her root. That's how we will give birth to children that will equaly hate mine eventually.
Mcheeew to Abuja marriage. So fake.
Guy you don't even bother to consider the gal point of view before spitting trash
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by mazidalima: 9:34am On Sep 20, 2013
i want to correct a wrong impression created here by someone that does'nt have an idea on how Arochukwu traditional marriage is conducted. what u see in festac; i want you to quote me is a charrade of stupidity, that is not a marriage and can only be seen as a mare introduction, which can b accepted only in that context.
Any marriage in Arochukwus tradition is done in the village, we have what we call ibu aju imai nwanyi n etu aju imai, that is the only done in the village. these process can only be seen were the inlaw of the woman that will carry a wrapped leave use in carrying a pot of drink, dropped in the father inlaws home n also the home of the girls mother (maternal parent) in their ancestral home before a marriage can said to b conducted in Arochukwu. so go back n tell that ur friend that told u she is married that somene from Arochukwu on Nairaland, says she is not married, rather she is co-habiting. A marriage is when the a father gives out is daughter in the presence of family members in consonance with all laid down customs n tradition. tank u

kreami diva: I attended someone's trad wedding in Festac while she's from Arochukwu. Well,its compulsory according to ibo tradition to at least pay the dowry and other traditional things in the village.unless as bellong said,u can convince the father to shift ground for you.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 20, 2013
@ vivianc, I am with you on this one, it is called a traditional wedding for a reason, my cousin's father unlaw from umuchu even refused the introduction here in Lagos without his umunna in the village. How will I tell my umunna that I have given out my daughter in marriage at their back ? was his exact words, my cousin the americanah have to bow to tradition and take his butt down to Anambra. He had wanted to do sharp sharp here in Lagos and head back to base. I don't know what the problem is, it is not like this is one bad culture, if we continue to put away all our culture, soon we will be left with nothing,no Identity. I never finish lol, my uncle threatened his warri in law with law suit because that one refused to come to the village to do the trad, he wanted it done in Lagos and my uncle will not bulge, the girls in question went and started living with the man, even pregnant self lol, my stubborn uncle contacted his lawyer and was heading to court, seriously , oh my God. No one told the young man to pack his people onward to Anambra. This is a true life story, you should have seen our warri in-laws face the day they came but we no send. Infact una for don read am for paper, according to my uncle, the allegation is kidnap and not marriage lol.no try us oh. Hey don say under age, both are graduates.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by COOLDUN: 12:12pm On Sep 20, 2013
haminac:

Are you ibo? I am Ibo, from mbaise. The village peeps actually have a list that they give ur husband or his people. The dowry is negotiable during the trad wedding, but you must bring everything on the list, if not, the village folks will tell your husbands people that they are not ready to marry their daughter. So they do not consider what you can afford or what you cannot afford. This tradition we all talk about is man made, just like how laws, legislation, rules and regulations are created. If you believe in tradition, no one is saying you should throw away your heritage. Life as we know it evolves. In the past, there are communities that forbid going to hospital. That is not the case anymore in most communities I hope. This is a change in tradition for better. Just because it is tradition does not mean it is the right thing to do. It is tradition in some places to eat human flesh. is that right, no. in some traditions a wife is supposed to drink the water used to wash he mother in laws corpse, if they were not in good terms, is that right, no. Look at technology, why are using computer, Internet, instead of following the ways of our ancestors. I can go on and on, we can all have tradition, but not to the detriment of the people.

You are not an Igbo, because no Igbo fellow would write Ibo as his/her tribe. There is no tradition in Igbo land that permits Cannibalism; you are one of those Efulefus that go about spewing rubbish about the Igbos in order to score cheap marks.

Mbaise i know and where my senior brother married from, i mean Nguru Mbaise, no one exploited my brother for any reason, they accepted what my brother had and gave to them. Today my brother is carrying his wife like an egg, a well educated intelligent girl for that matter. I am from Orlu Imo state.

No village in Igbo land obliges any suitor to do more than his purse, Traditional marriage is never compulsory in Igbo land, but very necessary. It has been happening before your forefathers, but nowadays people have modernized it and added some fun into it. You do the ceremony as you can. Even if you don't have anything to give to your wife's kinsmen, they will gather that day and know their son in-law. Marriage is not finished in one day.

You and your Ibo lost fellows should not come online to claim the knowledge of what you are ignorant of. I have seen an Igbo friend that marry an Igala girl, both of them left Amsterdam to the girl's village to do the traditional marriage. Traditional marriage is not only an Igbo thing as some people are trying to make it look here. Any girl that likes let her take her husband to her home town, who doesn't like should go and marry in Mars planet that is her cup of tea. But we have the Igbo bu Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Afam4eva(m): 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2013
omonnakoda: How traditional is this attire. Are those baby hats Ibo made Most of the so called traditional Ibo attire is "imported" just like much of what is seen in the Niger Delta like GEJ's hat
You may be right but those attires have come to become Igbo culture whether or not they originated from Igboland or not. It's the uniqueness of those attires that make them recognized as an Igbo attire.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
See as the Osu word is flying around. So why the lies on nairaland the culture has been done away with? You people are not even ashamed to say it. It means truly Osus are still discriminated against if in this day and age only people like them don't do their weddings in the villages.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
Chillisauce:

My burial will be in my darling husbands place. Fresh flowers will be changed for me every week.

The flowers no dey die....Naija no go see my dead body sef, unless dey kidnap me, kill , bury.

Even that.....my darlllling husband and kids will send French troops to destroy any village wey hide my body...insurance wey cover me no be small.

Like I said, no time for umunna

if u like, argue it btw now and tomorrow, u are not igbo.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2013
ngozievergreen:

if u like, argue it btw now and tomorrow, u are not igbo.

Did you read my comment before spewing your trash undecided

Now go back and read slowly. Mgbeke
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 20, 2013
stillwater: See as the Osu word is flying around. So why the lies on nairaland the culture has been done away with? You people are not even ashamed to say it. It means truly Osus are still discriminated against if in this day and age only people like them don't do their weddings in the villages.

First time am hearing the word OSU after a bed time stories told by parents those days cheesy, maybe it's still existing in their primitive villages. I wonder how the OSU looks like,.maybe the one that actually married a girl because of her wealth can talk more about it.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 20, 2013
And to those confusing issues here,
In igboland,u must cum to the village to do the traditional tnz.
Period!
Anything short of that is for Ofekes.
To d mo. ron from d west talking abt igbo hats/caps not originating from igboland, i wont even go into dat kind of talk with u.
We are not talking abt omo onile here, so u can as well back off.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 20, 2013
Chillisauce:

Did you read my comment before spewing your trash undecided

Now go back and read slowly. Mgbeke

just dont derail this thread with ur trash.
Peace
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 20, 2013
ngozievergreen:

just dont derail this thread with ur trash.
Peace
Just move aside, mgbeke, next time don't quote me if you will spew thrash!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 20, 2013
Chillisauce:

First time am hearing the word OSU after a bed time stories told by parents those days cheesy, maybe it's still existing in their primitive villages. I wonder how the OSU looks like,.maybe the one that actually married a girl because of her wealth can talk more about it.

If you see the way they pretend on those Osu threads ehn you would think they have changed. Apparently NOT!

I actually find it embarrassing that location of a wedding is what is giving some people sleepless nights. grin

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 5:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
stillwater:

If you see the way they pretend on those Osu threads ehn you would think they have changed. Apparently NOT!

I actually find it embarrassing that location of a wedding is what is giving some people sleepless nights. grin

Wake up to NL!

Everyone changes to whatever suits them at every thread.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 20, 2013
stillwater:

They even have OSU thread. Lol...

See them forming James bonds, trying to put others down to satisfy their e rection. Rubbish I say.
People should use their head, if something is not acceptable to you, get a workable solution.

Tradition my yellow as s. most of dem live in city for years, na when dem die, dem go transport their dead bodies to their primitive villages ...that is if money dey sef to carry their dead bodies grin

Orishirishi ....

** sipping my red wine ***

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Dannylux: 5:35pm On Sep 20, 2013
Westernization has doomed us all!! Never forget where You're coming from, never forgo your tradition!!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 5:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
Dannylux: Westernization had doomed us!! Never forget where You're coming from, never forgo your tradition!!

What is westernization?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 20, 2013
The Question is, Is it complusory to have a traditional marriage? The answer No!
Nigeria has two legal binding agreement between two consenting male and female, that when carried out, they will be viewed as husband and wife
1: Customary marriage act, or so-called traditional marriage, What constitutes customary marriage? (1) Dowry demanded by the bride family, which is negotiable,and accepted paid in full, by the bridegroom's family, (2) The bride is handed over to the bridegroom,his family or his reprensentative. (3) Bride's immediate family consent may play a role, to enact this marriage, Umunna or umuada's consent is not neccessary. (4) This marriage act maybe conducted or held at anytime of the day, even at midnight. This marriage gives room for polygamism and polyandry.
In summary. Bride or dowry makes this marriage acceptable as contracted, if they bridegroom present,s kekenapep to private jet, this doesn't count. Parents consent may play a role, Umunna or Umuada or any group that may arise consent is null and void, Where the bride or dowry was paid doesn't matter.

2: Statutory marriage act or so-called low or high court marriage, in summary
A: Dowry or brideprice is not neccesary. B. Parental consent does not matter. C: The two persons must be of marriageable age.D: Does not admit polygamy or polyandry.E: A twenty one days public notice must be posted, at the expiration of this twenty one days notice the marriage shall be enacted within or not more than 30days, and a marriage certificate is issued.
Under this marriage act, the woman and her children is protected under the inheritance law.
IT IS NOT NECCESSARY to conduct or have these two types of marriage, they all honorable before God, and man
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Dannylux: 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2013
bukatyne:

What is westernization?

Modernity.

Ask again.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 20, 2013
bukatyne:

What is westernization?

21st century

Liberation

*Oyinbo ilu *
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 6:59pm On Sep 20, 2013
Dannylux:

Modernity.

Ask again.

Lol!

I knew you would say that. Do you think that the whites were always this way? They too became 'modernized'. Some American pastors still pray that Americans can go back to their culture of old. grin

The moment we all realize that the world is evolving, the better for us. There is nothing like 'westernization' the way we use it. In the past, whites wore wigs, corsets, ridiculous gowns, gloves, sweeping gowns, bonnets, hearts, bodices, fought with swords, called everyone Maám, Sir, etc. How many did Nigerians copy? How many Americans do we know still do them?

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ladygogo: 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2013
Chillisauce:
They even have OSU thread. Lol...

See them forming James bonds, trying to put others down to satisfy their e rection. Rubbish I say.
People should use their head, if something is not acceptable to you, get a workable solution.

Tradition my yellow as s. most of dem live in city for years, na when dem die, dem go transport their dead bodies to their primitive villages ...that is if money dey sef to carry their dead bodies grin

Orishirishi ....

** sipping my red wine ***

grin grin grin grin i cant believe some people are still talking about the OSU caste system in 2013. Seriously? How primitive.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Its Our One Year Anniversary / Life With Two Stubborn Teenage Boys : My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.