Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,109 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West (16864 Views)

Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? / Taye Taiwo Is An Error -maldini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by iBukas: 6:58am On Sep 21, 2013
Ok you win ur better, see me oooooo
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by 3ace(m): 7:00am On Sep 21, 2013
I see this as self glorification. Taribo was never better than Maldini. He could say he was as good as him at a period which was very short but not better. The problem with most of our players is that by the time they come into limelight, they would have been aging. This same Taribo was already 40 years old when he was claiming 28 years. How did he expect to outshine a younger, more vibrant player?
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by miqos02(m): 7:46am On Sep 21, 2013
Novabright: Key words
claims
was.

Ok, we don hear.
hehehehe
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Danokoje14(m): 7:52am On Sep 21, 2013
redfly: Former AC Milan defender Taribo West believes he was better than club legend Paolo Maldini, but was treated unfairly by the Italian side.

In one season with the Serie A outfit, the former Nigeria international appeared in just four games, despite his self-proclaimed status as the club's best defender.

West remains bitter about his time at San Siro and has suggested that his short spell with the Rossoneri was a failure because of Maldini's "godfather" status.

"There were three of us, but the coach would pick the Italians even though I was clearly the best," he told Supersport.com.

"In 2000, I played the African Nations Cup with Nigeria and when I returned Maldini was injured. I played the games in his place but I did not get very many.

"I was told clearly that nobody could force out Maldini because he was a godfather in the club."

West was forced to take a seat on the bench while watching Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta start regularly, which the former Inter defender claims was because of their Italian backgrounds.

"Because I had a good relationship with [Inter president Massimo Moratti], I called him to tell him what was going on," he continued. "He told me that at AC Milan this was a normal thing.

"No one could take the place of Maldini. I was in shock. At the time they told so many lies about me because they wanted me out.

"During the four games I played, I was always the best player on the field, yet my contract was not renewed."

Source:http://m.goal.com/x/en-gb
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by COvo(m): 7:53am On Sep 21, 2013
This kinda statement would make white men rain abuses on us. "You were better than the greatest left back to have ever played the game"? Guy you are high on beans.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 21, 2013
C.Ovo:
This kinda statement would make white men rain abuses on us. "You were better than the greatest left back to have ever played the game"? Guy you are high on beans.

For me Ben Iroha was the greatest left back I watched that pla¥ed this game.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by larride(m): 8:29am On Sep 21, 2013
sadeiyare:

For me Ben Iroha was the greatest left back I watched that pla¥ed this game.

Stick to watching the Super Eagles

@ topic, Mr. West was or will NEVER be better than Paolo Maldini. Truly when it comes to soccer, Paolo Maldini is your godfather. .
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 21, 2013
LesbianBoy: Kanye west i know,
North west i know,
Taribo west i don't know........pls who is he and what is he famous for
Yhu don't know him cause when he was yhu were not or maybe in the belle of ya mama! Taribo West is a legend in the Nigerian football nation
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Tolexander: 8:32am On Sep 21, 2013
Okworigeorge: he was better than an ageing maldini....jez as cesc is now better than xavi.... They want to be taken seriously and then
they have a ridiculous haircut. mak we trade position
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Gpattern(m): 8:52am On Sep 21, 2013
If you actually knew taribo when he was in france and italy... You wont say maldini is better than him. It just the system in europe when their national are treated than africans/asians. Have u ever asked why did jay jay okocha never played for a big team in europe or was kick out like the did to him in england... Osaze, young, welbek, walcolt, moses who is better but the hype and club difference shows it all. Which midfielder is better than kagawa at man utd but he is nt playing... Plz this clubs are managemental racist.

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by yuncka: 9:02am On Sep 21, 2013
Of cos, dats true.... In good looks and hairstyle.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by frankel0: 9:07am On Sep 21, 2013
In as much as I won't want to compare Taribo to Maldini, I am surprised Nigerians would ridicule Taribo like this. I would like someone to mention a Nigerian cetral defender that has played at better clubs or peaked higher than him. If not, he should b considered a Nigerian legend in defence. for ur info, Taribo was an automatic regular starter in Inter milan when ur legendary Kanu couldn't hold down starting shirt and was being used as substitute. Taribo also played in Fifa selected twice

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by RedCard1(m): 9:16am On Sep 21, 2013
Yes Taribo was way better than Maldini

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by gradeA(m): 9:34am On Sep 21, 2013
Chiscomax: grin i never knew taribo west was also

a comedian

grin

cheesy cheesy grin
bros bone dat tin, na you be d real comedian.

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 21, 2013
Gpattern: If you actually knew taribo when he was in france and italy... You wont say maldini is better than him. It just the system in europe when their national are treated than africans/asians. Have u ever asked why did jay jay okocha never played for a big team in europe or was kick out like the did to him in england... Osaze, young, welbek, walcolt, moses who is better but the hype and club difference shows it all. Which midfielder is better than kagawa at man utd but he is nt playing... Plz this clubs are managemental racist.

guy,u must be jonzing,why don't u compare other players,is yaya toure not the most important person in his club right now,wen drogba was still in his prime, nobody dare come close to him and you are here spilling rubbish from your mouth.
if walcolt was a chelsea player,would he have a starting shirt?

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by write2obi(m): 9:48am On Sep 21, 2013
vanessa566: funnnnnn, na who mess for here again? ops na me drop am
I hope your not this nasty in real life. *cover on nose n run out of the room*
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by ezzye: 9:49am On Sep 21, 2013
i agree with him

but wait, who is Taribo?
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Damsman10(m): 9:55am On Sep 21, 2013
redfly: Former AC Milan defender Taribo West believes he was better than club legend Paolo Maldini, but was treated unfairly by the Italian side.

In one season with the Serie A outfit, the former Nigeria international appeared in just four games, despite his self-proclaimed status as the club's best defender.

West remains bitter about his time at San Siro and has suggested that his short spell with the Rossoneri was a failure because of Maldini's "godfather" status.

"There were three of us, but the coach would pick the Italians even though I was clearly the best," he told Supersport.com.

"In 2000, I played the African Nations Cup with Nigeria and when I returned Maldini was injured. I played the games in his place but I did not get very many.

"I was told clearly that nobody could force out Maldini because he was a godfather in the club."

West was forced to take a seat on the bench while watching Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta start regularly, which the former Inter defender claims was because of their Italian backgrounds.

"Because I had a good relationship with [Inter president Massimo Moratti], I called him to tell him what was going on," he continued. "He told me that at AC Milan this was a normal thing.

"No one could take the place of Maldini. I was in shock. At the time they told so many lies about me because they wanted me out.

"During the four games I played, I was always the best player on the field, yet my contract was not renewed."

Source:http://m.goal.com/x/en-gb
and so Driver abeg move diz car.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Keneeby(m): 10:00am On Sep 21, 2013
Taribo remain d best defender nigeria ever produced. I dnt doubt his claim. Truely in his time he ws one of d best.

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by gradeA(m): 10:01am On Sep 21, 2013
pharmow:

The only reasonable comment in the entire thread.

Taribo West may not be better than Maldini as he claimed, but am sure that in his prime he was one of the best defenders in the world and he was very close to Maldini level if not on the same level. The fact that he was selected for the World best eleven two different times compliment this. I wouldn't disagree with what he said that the club gave preferential to italian players considering the fact that Costa curta was selected ahead him. People should try and make reasonable comment on this forum cos must of the time I read response to topics, I understand the reason why so many youths are unemployed in Nigeria.

who are you to come here and blast everybody simply because they dont share your point of view?
why would you infer dat ppl are unemployed based on their comments?

if anything, i bet you are the one unemployed, and the rsn isnt far-fetched, given dat you no go better school. abeg just read d blunder wey full your comment sef.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Gpattern(m): 10:33am On Sep 21, 2013
Tadon200:

guy,u must be jonzing,why don't u compare other players,is yaya toure not the most important person in his club right now,wen drogba was still in his prime, nobody dare come close to him and you are here spilling rubbish from your mouth.
if walcolt was a chelsea player,would he have a starting shirt?
guy if yaya was in man utd he would have be sold or rut on the bench, same with drogba... If you don't know some teams are nationalist and at that it will be difficult to trive there. By the way u that don't spil rubbish name how many africans that have done well at AC Milan? I think you must be a child that is why u dt know and will never know how good taribo west was...
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by vislabraye(m): 10:45am On Sep 21, 2013
I don't see the comparism. Taribo plays central defence , Maldini plays left back. They could play together.
Taribo was @ his best in the two Milan clubs but I don't agree about his claims of being better than Maldini.

1 Like

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Gpattern(m): 11:00am On Sep 21, 2013
vislabraye: I don't see the comparism. Taribo plays central defence , Maldini plays left back. They could play together.
Taribo was @ his best in the two Milan clubs but I don't agree about his claims of being better than Maldini.
i agree with u. Its not about who is better! Because both of there were among the best during there time.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by dadicvila(m): 11:10am On Sep 21, 2013
Gpattern: guy if yaya was in man utd he would have be sold or rut on the bench, same with drogba... If you don't know some teams are nationalist and at that it will be difficult to trive there. By the way u that don't spil rubbish name how many africans that have done well at AC Milan? I think you must be a child that is why u dt know and will never know how good taribo west was...
Haba!!Oga but George Weah Won the World Best Player when he was playing for AC MILAN naaa!!na white Man??
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by sanspiffy(m): 11:17am On Sep 21, 2013
haba taribo west fear God. Of all footballers na maldini you better pass
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by otokx(m): 11:30am On Sep 21, 2013
Tot he had stopped smoking that thing.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Gpattern(m): 11:32am On Sep 21, 2013
dadicvila: Haba!!Oga but George Weah Won the World Best Player when he was playing for AC MILAN naaa!!na white Man??
i asked how many africans? You just called öne? And by the way how many seasons did mr weah enjoy first team there? Its the same issue that is in man u...(man utd don't really like black and south american players)
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by tamarabu(m): 11:55am On Sep 21, 2013
hahahahaha e funi sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Bet9ja Game That Won 30 Million Naira In Owerri / Petit: Lampard Could Go The Same Way As Henry / C. Ronaldo Misses Out On Ballon D'or Shortlist For The First Time In 20 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.