Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,322 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West (16866 Views)

Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? / Taye Taiwo Is An Error -maldini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by chucky234(m): 9:03am On Sep 22, 2013
banky222: Maldini, after reading this story was like : who is this man? Can't just figure out his face. Did we ever play together ?
They did play together and Paolo knew West was a hard nut to crack.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by chucky234(m): 9:09am On Sep 22, 2013
chic2pimp:

Haba Una too dey lie. If u actually did watch Ac Milan in the 90s u would have known Maldini actually did play centre back whenever either Baresia or costarcuta was missing and he did excel playing that role. He was magnificent in Milan's 4-0 drubbing of the dream team when we had both our regular centre back pairing missing. Not forgetting italy's world cup campaign in the states where he played most of the games at centre back.

Funny you should mention 2004 because the centre half pairing of sandro and paolo was one of the main reasons we won the Scudetto. If we want to talk about mistakes I'm pretty sure we'll be here till 2moro if we made a list of taribo's mistake.
Watch the matches between Inter and Milan in 2004 as well as the matches he played as center back in '94 then come back to tell me how he fared.
Milan won the scutteto not because of Maldini but because of the team they had,with Ambrosini,Seedolf,Kaka,Fillipo,Nesta,Kafu and Shelvy in top form.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by peterphd(m): 10:31am On Sep 22, 2013
No one is saying taribo wasn't good but he was never as good as maldini. Maldini is comparable to franz beckanbauer and other top defenders but taribo is nowhere near.if he was so good, inter would have kept him.
Ps: don't say racism because milla, weah and etoo are black too.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by Ibime(m): 10:34am On Sep 22, 2013
chucky234:
Taribo was playing with Auxerre and had a successful spell with Inter Milan,you have to be one of the best around to play for Inter back then.

No you don't actually. Inter defence was weak back then. Taribo was competing with Fabio Galante and Francesco Colonnese for shirt, both poor defenders; whilst the other centre back Guissepe Bergomi was old by then and approaching retirement. I did not miss a single Inter game in 97/98 season. It was poor defence that undid Inter that season cos they were a great team.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by COvo(m): 1:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
Gpattern: If you actually knew taribo when he was in france and italy... You wont say maldini is better than him. It just the system in europe when their national are treated than africans/asians. Have u ever asked why did jay jay okocha never played for a big team in europe or was kick out like the did to him in england... Osaze, young, welbek, walcolt, moses who is better but the hype and club difference shows it all. Which midfielder is better than kagawa at man utd but he is nt playing... Plz this clubs are managemental racist.
Okocha is a Nigeria Legend but let's face it...Okocha was the kinda player that'd perform greatly in one match and go missing in the next 10 matches.There was this match Bolton played against united(can't really remember the particular season),Okocha attempted doin that annoyin skill of his(don't know wat it's called but it's like stepovers)when he was supposed to shoot and he lost the ball,10 seconds later the ball was in Jaaskelainen's goal.Okocha wasn't really the 'BIG' player in europe.
Re: ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West by muzzol: 10:37am On Sep 23, 2013
I logged out when i read someone claiming that Taribo was Nigeria's best CB ever. Did Chukwu, Keshi, Okeychukwu, Shofoluwe to mention a few play for the same country?

Comparing Taribo to Maldini is like comparing Alex Song saying he is better than Xavi and he is not playing because he his black.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Petit: Lampard Could Go The Same Way As Henry / C. Ronaldo Misses Out On Ballon D'or Shortlist For The First Time In 20 Years / Pictures Of The Bet9ja Game That Won 30 Million Naira In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.