Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? (47134 Views)

Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU / What Is The Difference Between A Bsc(ed) In Electrical Technology And Bsc In Electrical Engineering / Top-up My Hnd To A Bsc In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Okwyjesus(m): 11:26pm On Oct 02, 2013
How many ppl work in their field after school. Ensure u graduate with d best grade other things follows.....

I did Computer Education, am working as a Project Supervisor.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 11:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
Oluwacolded: ode oshi common olevel certificate u neva get

@op don't mind the fools deterring u from studying the course there is no course that is being offered in the university that is waste of time all courses are all lucrative

@op have you ever asked yourself why 92% of the universities in nigeria offer philosophy as a course? Or why are all the science students in the university offering logic? It is simply because philosophy is relevant to life what differentiate man from animal is ability to think, philosophers are the real man of the society they don't just talk any how they think before they talk.
Thanks bro
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jookunlaja(m): 11:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
Good question,My brother.I also was forced to study Philosophy in LASU years back.However,looking back today,I thank and appreciate God for the singular opportunity to be a graduate in Nigeria.Millions are longing for such advantage but they don't have.
Please my word is that you must take full advantage of this precious opportunity to become a graduate though I understand your fears.Many of us also went through the same mental torture you are going through right now but we were able to weather the storm by God's grace.
Firstly you must know that Nigeria is in a very bad shape presently and we need men or graduate who can think outside the box to really make a difference in the labour market.
Secondly,you must put all your best if you intend to get a degree in Philosophy.You must try to excel in all your courses.
Thirdly,it will be compulsory for you to think of other gettting certified in other part-time courses.
4th,PHCN STRUCK SEE YOU LATER FOR THE PART TWO OF MY POST.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by willibounce: 11:38pm On Oct 02, 2013
Young man, go and face ur studies. And make sure say u learn hand work. U never do registration u dey find where u fit work. Shell kor kanda ni.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by alexvatt(m): 11:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras:
Thanks very much................
I have this silly question in me lol...... Can a philosopher work in companies like shell,nnpc and the likes?........
what u study in school does not makes u great. What makes u a great person is God and u. Ur mindset determines how far u will go in life. There are a lot of people who read accounting, medicine, engineering, law and others, yet they are still poor. Remember Dangote never worked in an oil company. Yet he is still the richest man in africa. Philosophy is a good course. It is a science of wisdom. The wisdom which we dont have in Africa. And that is why we are in 3rd world. A consuming continent, not a producing continent. Africans only buys, but have nothing to sell to the world. Poor nations.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by guvna(m): 11:42pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hi there, Philosophy is a great course I can assure you, just face your studies clearly cos it will develop your mind very wide and provide you with a very analytical mind that will help in so many areas of life and your eventual career.

I know someone close that graduated woth a degree in philosoophy and doing well in career and life. The determination to be who you want to be is most important though. So sight tight, do the best you can and good luck.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Anuoluwap(m): 11:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nairalanders will never be serious.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by AnOlAd: 11:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
I studied philosophy in Unilag... You can work anywhere don't be deceive... Companies usually ask for graduate trainee as long as u have a degree... I didn't regret it one bit... juts be ur best and come out with a 2*1 at least....

Welcome to the Club...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by criuze(m): 11:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
Better combine with engineering, like phil/enginneering. I just advise ooo
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by tosingcfr(m): 11:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
stormkiid: Guys its better u don't take such a stupid course
All dose saying it dosent mean.my guy it means ooo..cos u re gonna find it real hard to ..anyway do wah ur mind chooses
Is that 'kid'' part of your moniker still a part of you??
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by moshino(m): 11:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
AnOlAd: I studied philosophy in Unilag... You can work anywhere don't be deceive... Companies usually ask for graduate trainee as long as u have a degree... I didn't regret it one bit... juts be ur best and come out with a 2*1 at least....
Welcome to the Club...

'DECEIVED', 'DON'T', 'JUST'.

The quality of university education in Unilag must have deteriorated immensely!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by kabba7(m): 11:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras:
Thank you very much...I really appreciate your comment...............

Right now therer are vacancies for. 2 car wash attendants I also heard some building sites in Jos are hiring graduates with good gradesto to work as mason helpers in both places the pays are very attractive, hurry up kid!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Nobody: 12:13am On Oct 03, 2013
Nw, when everybody jumps into
these fields u think are more
lucrative and gives high chances of
survival, what now happens to
state governance, security and
crime contol? Who will be there to
study ur past and history? The
United Nations employ more than
90% social scientists. And what
makes u think that ur degree in
engineering makes u better than an
artisan in the street? It's
consequent upon this high priority
attached to science education that
our society has remained in this
quagmire. Let science find a
solution to the challenges of Boko
Haram, kidnapping, social crimes
among others.

a study of philosophy wont do you any harm but will broaden ur horizon. get d degree 1st and time will do the rest.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Victosin09(f): 12:13am On Oct 03, 2013
Double post
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Victosin09(f): 12:14am On Oct 03, 2013
oladayo042: It seems all you want is a job at Shell. The typical Nigerian metality. How many philosophers will Shell employ?
I couldnt agree more.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by ugonna1054(m): 12:14am On Oct 03, 2013
Ninilowo:
Itz like you are running faster than your legs. Am very sorry if u are offended ooo. You ve not started you schooling you are already searching for job. Woo my friend if you mind doesnt go for the course just resit UTME and go for another course. Buh if you jump at the cos because u just want to be admitted by fire by thunder.....tor...Those telling you that you can bcome this or that are just saying so cos at the end of the day no one ll be there to help you out.
My widow's mite anyway.......abi what ar coNLderz for?
I like ur signature.I just tried it and it was cool..
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by nuelkaosi(m): 12:15am On Oct 03, 2013
*Following* I was thinking of changing to philosophy.. Good question bro.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by nijanigga: 12:18am On Oct 03, 2013
Nigerian mentality:you get a good qualitative education, not necessarily because of material gains, but to excel,develop and show your talents. Unknown to many of these guys, many great Mathematicians and other pundits were also great Philosophers. But in Nigeria, because of the ill societal norm, everything is attached to greed and money. People study gerontology, lawn and gardening and are happy with their chosen fields.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by efepro(m): 12:27am On Oct 03, 2013
CORRECTION: there is nothing like B.sc in Philosophy, it is B.A

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by ugonna1054(m): 12:33am On Oct 03, 2013
moshino:

'DECEIVED', 'DON'T', 'JUST'.

The quality of university education in Unilag must have deteriorated immensely!
no one es above mistake. A tree cannot make a forest..even if his grammars wasn't a mistake u can't use him to judge the other students and/or graduates of UNILAG...you think like a NERD...DICKHEADED NITWIT..
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by gal10(f): 12:45am On Oct 03, 2013
Afam4eva: Nigeria don suffer. Imagine someone going to study a course in the uni without even understanding the course.
abeggi! lets admit it a good number of us got courses we didn't dream of previously as second option and just had to go in! nothing wrong, however when u stick with it without having any love at all dat can be bad. i wanted economics but IFE 'gave' me psychology and i had never dreamnt of smelling any psych books but now i am so looking forward to an msc in clinical psych and having my rehab center! i simply love it so OP nothing do u!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by fizzile(m): 12:50am On Oct 03, 2013
You still reason like a child. Do u think your first degree will fetch uy anything in dis country? Soon first degree will be like SSCE. U shouldn't boda urself. Just finish ur philosophy den do masters in history and international studies and trust me u'll be hotcake. I did first degree in Botany,den Masters in Environmental sciences and am goin places,gettin contracts wit firms here and dere.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by kandiikane(m): 1:08am On Oct 03, 2013
Well, you can use it to teach your government some wisdom. Imagine, the president's very own philosopher..
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Anuoluwap(m): 1:31am On Oct 03, 2013
Preparing an article for phone addicts that want to nail jamb & post jamb. Just for you people esp. Next jambitoes.....loading40%
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by ceira(f): 1:37am On Oct 03, 2013
Hmmm philosophy is a vry gud course bt nt an easy 1....infact dts d course am studyin presently and am nt regretin it....u cn work anywhr wit it,ok?
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Nobody: 1:37am On Oct 03, 2013
[quote author=Annie2gud]Dearie....Mind working in a Buka? Thank me

do u own a buka..?
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Nobody: 1:43am On Oct 03, 2013
jonescyras:
Thanks so much... I keep thinking whether I should do a cross over to another department,perhaps HISTORY n INTERNATIONAL STUDIES...but I don't think this could be allowed as my name has been registered with philosophy on jamb Site.....
.........Shell and the likes pay heavily for their workers..do you think a person in the research department in shell could also earn a good pay?.....it might sound stupid, but this what's bothering my mind....

oil nd gas yhey!! oil nd gas yhey!!!..wat if dere was no shell ? think outta d box man...Or wat if eventually u dnt evn gt a place in oil nd gas?...buh know one thing dat No one can take ur place as long as ure connected wt God. It is well wt you.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Roland17(m): 1:46am On Oct 03, 2013
In Nigeria, how many philosophy graduates have truly explored the opportunities and potentials of the course after graduating?

How many are still in the field practicing for the love and passion of the course?

The argument here is not about the relevance of philosophy to humans and the society, but what are opportunities available in Nigeria after graduating for a young man?

Does the environment support you? What are the prospects of success for a philosophy graduate compared to a graduate of a major course..

In Nigeria you always want to be steps ahead of your competition with the choices .

At the long run the decision is yours to make, if you don't like philosophy, delve into it only if it's with an intention to change or as a stepping stone, many graduates have made similar mistakes in the past, some have been lucky to overcome it, others have not been too lucky...

Pursue your own dream and not the dreams of others....it's your own life and not mine or theirs.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by lee007(m): 1:52am On Oct 03, 2013
I have worked in Human Resources Positions in Nigeria and North America...trust me except you want to work as a lawyer, Doctor or Engineer or in any other specialized and restricted occupations, the rest is very open and competitive.

The kind of training you get after school is very important, professional certifications mostly require bachelors degree in any of the humanities, so why then should we discourage this brave young man.

Less that 40% of us are currently employed in our core are of study in undergrad!

Like I said before, OP go ahead make the best use of your time in UNI, be the best in what you have and see doors open for you!

What you set as a vision is what you get!

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Nobody: 1:53am On Oct 03, 2013
It's not like there is a ready made job for those that studied other courses too!!!

The question you should rather ask yourself is if you can shine in that course and graduate with a first class or something very close to it. With a first class degree, even if you apply for jobs outside your field, some employers would believe that you're highly train-able which increase your chances of landing a job compared to others.

Another issue of note is that, those that studied philosophy don't stop and claim to be a philosopher after their B.sc, they further their education, probably up to Ph.D level.

Follow your heart, most times your ears and your eyes will deceive you. "For we walk by faith and not by sight"

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by corperscorner: 2:50am On Oct 03, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning / This UNILAG Babe, Oluwabunmi Ehuwa Is Missing / Missing Letter 'W' At WAEC Office In Yaba, Lagos (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.