Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (339) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454171 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Rijo02: 8:29pm On Jul 21, 2014
Amerinancy: My interview

ME: Goodmorning ma

VO: Oh how are you?

ME :great

VO: you are nancy?

ME: yea

VO: dis you pay your visa fee?

ME: yes I did

VO: (keeps typing) so how did you choose this college?

ME: saw it on an article written about best liberal art colleges, I did an intensive research and saw its ranked by USnews, princeton and forbes too.

VO: do you know anyone in monmouth college?

ME: no

VO: I can see you traveled to California in 2010?

ME: yes

VO: what purpose?

ME: to visit my aunt

VO: how many siblings do you have?

ME: smiles*** I'm the only child

VO: smiles too *** what does your dad do?

ME: he is a businessman, politician, into real estates and also into oil and gas, he owns 4 petrol stations and also a hotel in Asaba.

VO: Did you write toefl and SAT?

ME: no it was waived by my school and I have a letter to prove it

VO: let me see it

ME: **gives her**

VO: okay pick up your visa @ isolo ** gives me a white paper and hands me back my i-20 saying I should keep it well, as it will be needed @ the point of entry

ME: thank you and **leaves**

I thank God almighty and all those who wished me success @slimmy@walspring etc, not forgetting teddyrain who helped me and encouraged me, although I hid my school from him and never knew we applied to same school. Its true coincidence.

All those going for interview don't worry God will surprise you.

Congrats Nancy......All the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by oghenegano: 8:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
Am a 2.1 graduate and am presently workin as a survey...moreso am takin a najor in GIS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by oghenegano: 8:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
Am a 2.1 graduate and am presently workin as a survey...moreso am takin a major in GIS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 8:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano: Am a 2.1 graduate and am presently workin as a survey...moreso am takin a major in GIS.

Hmmm. Does GIS have anything to do with computer information Science? If No, I think its a red flag for someone with undergrad degree in Geology and work experience in Survey to be going for masters in Computer Science. That aside, no need to go to the embassy with that GRE result. It doesn't tell well of a 2.1 graduate. Its either you seat for the exam again or find an excuse why you were exempted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by phemix: 8:53pm On Jul 21, 2014
juntod:

Hmmm. Does GIS have anything to do with computer information Science? If No, I think its a red flag for someone with undergrad degree in Geology and work experience in Survey to be going for masters in Computer Science. That aside, no need to go to the embassy with that GRE result. It doesn't tell well of a 2.1 graduate. Its either you seat for the exam again or find an excuse why you were exempted.

Easy bro! we counsel and encourage pple here, he has fears already, dnt escalate them. jes say wats expedient...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 8:59pm On Jul 21, 2014
Wow, today is gone, tomorrow holds more visa testimonies, congrats to those approved today..

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by honeyad(m): 9:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
domex007: Wow, today is gone, tomorrow holds more visa testimonies, congrats to those approved today..

When are u hitting the embassy bro?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by oghenegano: 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
juntod:

Before you worry about GRE, do you have a good reason for switching from Geology to Comp Sci? That should be your major concern now as VOs must ask about it. Again, how did you get admission for masters into a course unrelated to your undergraduate course and with a low GRE? What exactly did the school see in your profile if its not a red flag school? No need to hide any information from us if you actually need help. Let us know your full profile so that you can be properly guided.
My cos is Computer Information Science and i have a good Toef buh my GRE is the issue here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by babyoriss(f): 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
[b]Hello house,

I'm a silent observer Nairalander I would like you to help me look thru this pre interview transcript I package for myself, my interview is on 23rd Wednesday July. Please help me go thru it and correct me if needed....Thanks

me: good morning sir/ma
vo: good morning..
vo: why are you going to the states?
me: am going the united states for my bachelor degree in business, management, marketing and resources management at Faulkner University Alabama.
vo: why and how did you know about Faulkner university?
me: Actually my mom was the very first person to tell me about Faulkner university because she did her masters degree there she also told me about the quality education the school has to offer, I also went further by making more research about the school and I found out that Faulkner university is rated among the best university in Alabama and also it is rated among the best south eastern region by Princeton review 2010. And one unique advantage about Faulkner is that you are allowed to double major as it's in my case Business,Marketing,Management and Resources Management (These courses are being offer compound as Business Administration)
vo: How many school did you apply for?
me: 3, Wake Forest University, NC, Saint Leo University, FL and Faulkner University, AL
vo: how many admitted you ?
me: 2 Faulkner and Wake Forest and Saint Leo University put me on the wait list
vo: what do u know about Alabama?
me: Alabama is a state located in the southeastern region of the United States. It is bordered by Tennessee to the north, Georgia to the east, Florida and the Gulf of Mexico to the south, and Mississippi to the west. Alabama is the 30th-most extensive and the 23rd-most populous of the 50 United States. The incumbent Governor of Alabama is Robert J. Bentley and its capital is Montgomery.
vo: Why that course?
me: Ever since my childhood I have always had the passion to study business admin because I was born into a business oriented family, my father is a successful business man likewise my mom. I believe that by he time I graduated from this course I should be able to add something special to contribute to their businesses and also set a goal for my younger ones who might also want to study business admin.
vo: when did you graduated from high school?
me: 2008
vo: what have you been doing since then?
me: After my high school, I enroll for 1 year computer course at ........ in desktop publishing and basin networking, when I finished my computer study I got admission into Laspotech Ikorodu in 2010 for a 2 years course in accounting which I graduated with an upper credit in 2012 after then I went for a 1 year IT in Keystone Bank which ended march 2014, ever since then I have been voluntarily at my mum store at the sales attendant and accounting officer.
vo: do u have any relative in the us?
me: NO.
vo: okay... who is sponsoring ur education?
me: my lovely dad
vo: what does he do?
me : he is a successful business man, he is the CEO of .........., they are into the importation of industrial sewing machine, industrial weaving machines , industrial molding machines and industrial drilling machines.
vo: do u have his financial documents with you?
me: yes
vo: okay.. what do u plan on doing after you graduate?
me: am coming back to Nigeria for my compulsory NYSC program and I plan on working with my parent or start up my own business.

[/b]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 9:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
phemix:

Easy bro! we counsel and encourage pple here, he has fears already, dnt escalate them. jes say wats expedient...

And you expect me to encourage and counsel him without pointing out the flaws in his profile? Why is he here? The fact that he has fears does not mean we should tell him to go to the embassy unprepared. All I have done so far is point out the areas he needs to work on. I am not telling him USA is not for him. FYI, a GRE score of 270 is just 10/80. So you think telling him to present this score is the best advice simply because he has fears. He is not paying me for the counselling and I am not forcing him to take my advice either (Just my 5 Kobo).

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano:
My cos is Computer Information Science and i have a good Toef buh my GRE is the issue here

Please do not present that GRE score. If your school didn't require GRE, simply tell the VO that you were exempted because of your work experience. You can even try to get a written statement from your school to that effect.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mystiqme: 9:20pm On Jul 21, 2014
juntod:

And you expect me to encourage and counsel him without pointing out the flaws in his profile? Why is he here? The fact that he has fears does not mean we should tell him to go to the embassy unprepared. All I have done so far is point out the areas he needs to work on. I am not telling him USA is not for him. FYI, a GRE score of 270 is just 10/80. So you think telling him to present this score is the best advice simply because he has fears. He is not paying me for the counselling and I am not forcing him to take my advice either (Just my 5 Kobo).
10/80? I don't understand. I thought the GRE was out of 340, so 270/340 is 79%.Could do better but not as terrible as you paint it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by oghenegano: 9:22pm On Jul 21, 2014
juntod:

Please do not present that GRE score. If your school didn't require GRE, simply tell the VO that you were exempted because of your work experience. You can even try to get a written statement from your school to that effect.
Thanks brov....so wut do u advice me on the cos aspect....Geology and goin for Computer information science and takin a major in Geographic Information Science
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 9:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
babyoriss: [b]Hello house,

I'm a silent observer Nairalander I would like you to help me look thru this pre interview transcript I package for myself, my interview is on 23rd Wednesday July. Please help me go thru it and correct me if needed....Thanks

me: am going the united states for my bachelor degree in business, management, marketing and resources management at Faulkner University Alabama.
me: Actually my mom was the very first person to tell me about Faulkner university because she did her masters degree there she also told me about the quality education the school has to offer, I also went further by making more research about the school and I found out that Faulkner university is rated among the best university in Alabama and also it is rated among the best south eastern region by Princeton review 2010. And one unique advantage about Faulkner is that you are allowed to double major as it's in my case Business,Marketing,Management and Resources Management (These courses are being offer compound as Business Administration)
me: 3, Wake Forest University, NC, Saint Leo University, FL and Faulkner University, AL
me: Alabama is a state located in the southeastern region of the United States. It is bordered by Tennessee to the north, Georgia to the east, Florida and the Gulf of Mexico to the south, and Mississippi to the west. Alabama is the 30th-most extensive and the 23rd-most populous of the 50 United States. The incumbent Governor of Alabama is Robert J. Bentley and its capital is Montgomery.
me: Ever since my childhood I have always had the passion to study business admin because I was born into a business oriented family, my father is a successful business man likewise my mom. I believe that by he time I graduated from this course I should be able to add something special to contribute to their businesses and also set a goal for my younger ones who might also want to study business admin.
me: After my high school, I enroll for 1 year computer course at ........ in desktop publishing and basin networking, when I finished my computer study I got admission into Laspotech Ikorodu in 2010 for a 2 years course in accounting which I graduated with an upper credit in 2012 after then I went for a 1 year IT in Keystone Bank which ended march 2014, ever since then I have been voluntarily at my mum store at the sales attendant and accounting officer.
vo: okay... who is sponsoring ur education?
me: my lovely dad
vo: what does he do?
me : he is a successful business man, he is the CEO of .........., they are into the importation of industrial sewing machine, industrial weaving machines , industrial molding machines and industrial drilling machines.
vo: do u have his financial documents with you?
me: yes
vo: okay.. what do u plan on doing after you graduate?
me: am coming back to Nigeria for my compulsory NYSC program and I plan on working with my parent or start up my own business.

[/b]

1. Everything looks good but leave your younger ones out of this. I personally think that line is not necessary.
2. Starting up a business should not be your major reason for taking this degree. Be more professional about it. You can talk about returning to work in a business management/marketing firm or even setting up your own.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by honeyad(m): 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2014
[quote author=babyoriss]Hello house,

me: [b]Actually my mom was the very first person to tell me about Faulkner university because she did her masters degree there
she also told me about the quality education the school has to offer, I also went further by making more research about the school and I found out that Faulkner university is rated among the best university in Alabama and also it is rated among the best south eastern region by Princeton review 2010. And one unique advantage about Faulkner is that you are allowed to double major as it's in my case Business,Marketing,Management and Resources Management (These courses are being offer compound as Business Administration)

Did your mum actually attend the school because you might be asked to write your mum's name on a sheet of paper, secondly did your mum returned after studies? If she did not, dont dare to mention those words because you will shoot yourself in the leg.. I saw a case of that at the embassy.. The guy was denied because he said his brother finished from the school, VO asked him to write the name of his brother, he checked and said "after studies, your brother eloped" I just laugh for my mind.. Definitely a denial.. Apart from that, do you really think you will get the enough funds to start your own business immediately you come back? Why not tell the VO u will work in a known reputable organization, get the well deserved practical knowledge of handling a business for some years and use that experience on your dad's business later as a future director or future CEO of your dad's business because he intends to retire early...

Did u write any standardized test? If not mention lower schools than your schools that won't need a standardized test to get admission.. My 1$.. Go get your visa smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Etfash(m): 9:42pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano:
Thanks brov....so wut do u advice me on the cos aspect....Geology and goin for Computer information science and takin a major in Geographic Information Science

The courses are related; GIS is very broad. Read well.. Good luck!

I am commenting for the first time on this thread - although i don't intend going to the USA to study any moment soon, My Fiance and i have been sufficiently prepared, by this thread, to get visa to Hawaii for our honeymoon.... That kind thing... wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
donpapachi: Graviton. Where U dey.abi U don fly ni grin

Lol. I've been really busy, haven't had much time on my hands to frequent the thread like I used to.

Congratulations to the new visa recipients. Welcome to the United States.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
Mystiqme:
10/80? I don't understand. I thought the GRE was out of 340, so 270/340 is 79%.Could do better but not as terrible as you paint it.

You clearly do not understand GRE scores.
FYI, Thats not how GRE percentile works. The minimum on each GRE section is 130/170 which could mean 0/40. Assuming for his 270 he got 135 on each section, 135/170 means he got 5/40. 5/40 plus another 5/40 on the other section is 10/80.

Note: 320/340 on GRE is 83 percentile. Its not the same as the percentage you are calculating.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 9:50pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano:

I have read about the GIS. You are on track. If asked why you changed course just smile and tell the VO that you didn't change course per say. Your major in computer sci will be GIS which relates to your undergraduate as well as your present work. Also use the work experience in GIS as the reason why you were exempted from GRE. You are good to go. Best of luck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano:
To be honest, your GRE score was terrible. The lowest you can get on the GRE test is 260/340 and you have 270/340. That's hardly above the lowest score. But all is not lost. You had a good undergrad major, you're going for an equally good grad major and you had a good undergrad GPA. The way you sound your story to the VOice is what matters at this point.

GIS is a good part of CS, but it hardly comes close to CS. It's more Geography than Computer Science. Find a way to make a story that is interwoven between CS, GIS and Geology. Do you have any funding? What school are you headed to?

Lastly, why the heck did you leave Geology for Computer Science? You know Geologists are in high demand over here and they get them big bucks right? Sometimes or most times sef, they even get paid higher entry level wages than the IT guys. All the best in your interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by godG: 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2014
All these visas you are sharing, there is God o. Continue...

Congrats to the victors, best wishes to the denied.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mystiqme: 10:00pm On Jul 21, 2014
juntod:

You clearly do not understand GRE scores.
FYI, Thats not how GRE percentile works. The minimum on each GRE section is 130/170 which could mean 0/40. Assuming for his 270 he got 135 on each section, 135/170 means he got 5/40. 5/40 plus another 5/40 on the other section is 10/80.

Note: 320/340 on GRE is 83 percentile. Its not the same as the percentage you are calculating.
My understanding of GRE percentiles, though, is that 135 would land him in the 5th percentile (using your example), meaning he did better than only 5% of the students. That is the interpretation of a percentile. Where does the 40 come from?

Now that's why I thought you were using percentages. On the percentile scale, I agree with you, his score is not good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano: Hello nairalander....my GRE score is 270 and i was offered admission buh am scared if d VO will make a comment on dat

If he doesn't ask, don't show him
If he does mention it , say you were tense on test day and it affected your performance and that your grades in school shows you're a good student.
Shikena
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2014
ebdib:

If he doesn't ask, don't show him
If he does mention it , say you were tense on test day and it affected your performance and that your grades in school shows you're a good student.
Shikena

Bros that na highway to very polite denial cos if he says he was tensed, he could be asked to go and write it again before visiting the embassy.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
Mystiqme:
My understanding of GRE percentiles, though, is that 135 would land him in the 5th percentile (using your example), meaning he did better than only 5% of the students. That is the interpretation of a percentile. Where does the 40 come from?

Now that's why I thought you were using percentages. On the percentile scale, I agree with you, his score is not good.
Moro grin, I guess he got the 40 from the 230-270. Which leaves 40marks. On percentile scale and score scales the results still ain't good. Most grad schools won't even consider you for admission with that score.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
@babyoriss

Why would you pick Faulkner university. An unknown school in Alabama over wake forest university? A large research institution with a solid reputation all over the US? .
You might be asked so you better find a good way of justifying it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2014
Mystiqme:

I am confused. Just know that 130 is the zero point. If you score 130 over 170 it means you scored zero. Hence, 170 will be 40 (170 minus 130). So, 135 is just 5 out of possible 40. Thats where my 5 over 40 is coming from.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ridimic1: 10:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
oghenegano:

wat sch are u headed..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mystiqme: 10:11pm On Jul 21, 2014
MsNas:
Morogrin, I guess he got the 40 from the 230-270. Which leaves 40marks. On percentile scale and score scales the results still ain't good. Most grad schools won't even consider you for admission with that score.
Wtf!!!!how did u even know that.

Yes its a terrible score.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mystiqme: 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
juntod:

I am confused. Just know that 130 is the zero point. If you score 130 over 170 it means you scored zero. Hence, 170 will be 40 (170 minus 130). So, 135 is just 5 out of possible 40. Thats where my 5 over 40 is coming from.
Lol..that's not the way I understand percentiles.But in all it's a terrible score. Btw, good job you doing here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mystiqme: 10:13pm On Jul 21, 2014
I am scared of u MsNas. Veeeery scared.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
Mystiqme:
Lol..that's not the way I understand percentiles.But in all it's a terrible score. Btw, good job you doing here.

Thanks. I wasn't really talking about percentile. Just used the 5/40 to make you understand how bad the score really is. By the way, 270 is in no way near 79th percentile.

(1) (2) (3) ... (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.