Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,100 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454025 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 8:21am On Nov 12, 2013
akay_47: Hello house, please I need you guys to help me on some quick info. I've got a US visa (visiting) that's gonna expire by february, nxt year. I want to know if and how I can get admission to study any Comp. Sci (BSc) course in the US. What are the steps I need to take, considering I have a Visa that'll soon expire, and what school would be best to choose from. Also what financial aid can I get (if any). I'm currently in Nigeria. Thank you all.
akay_47:
Nobody is answering my question. Please gurus, I need this??!
Don't mind the gurus jawe. perhaps they are on strike like ASUU grin. First, your visiting visa expiring very soon has nothing to do with your application for admission to school in the US. However, your B1/B2 visa might influence you getting a F1 visa if you didn't violate any rules during your visit to the US.
That said, the road to Obamaland isn't a smooth one. uneasy lies the head that wears the crown they say. In short, you start by doing independent research on the school that suites your needs (come up with schs yourself and inquire from gurus here if they are OK) , write standardized tests if required (that might involve you having a tour to neighboring countries or if desired, go to India shocked ), send application to sch by turning in the requisite docs, get admission and proceed to the embassy to claim your visa. Each step still needs to be elaborated but i guess that's the overview. I will advise you take it one step @ a time. The gurus will add to this when they call off the strike wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 8:22am On Nov 12, 2013
lisadem:
cheesy cheesy cheesy see pot calling kettle black. let him come up with the possibility first and let's see who will grab am first grin. Meanwhile, Am on a family plan with AT&T (na Awuf sha o) grin.
@flybird : Why not try to get 2 more people and sign up for family plan with T-Mobile. By doing that, the first person pays $50, second pays $30 and the third $10. You guys share the bills and each gets to pay $30. The problem is getting peeps sha o. undecided

I heard about a WalMart plan for $40 monthly but I'll have to buy another t-mobile sim card for $25. I wasn't aware before I go his one for $10 and $50 monthly. Besides its still the same slow 2G network sad
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:35am On Nov 12, 2013
flynbird:

Yes that's what my landlord said oh!

Can't check my private messages. I've forgotten the password to the email
How do I contact you then? If you can see this now, reply me and i'll drop my email address
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 12, 2013
ayobrain1: Hello house, I got a mail from university of Houston this morning that my Admission letter (no scholarship) and I-20 are ready and I should send my address for dispatch.
The dilemma here is that I already have a scholarship-Teaching assistant (which includes tuition waiver and monthly stipend) from the university of New Orleans for the same course (and same thesis).

My decision is to differ Houston admission to fall 2014 and and go for New Orleans (Spring 2014). Although, the money to fund myself in Houston, at least for the first year is not the problem, but I think the graduate assistant position will increase my chances of getting the visa. It is also an opportunity for me to study the same course for almost free, however, I do not want to be penny-wise and pound foolish.

Any advice for me please?

Bro, congrats on your VISA approval in advance. Go with New Orleanns.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by akay48(m): 10:05am On Nov 12, 2013
lisadem:

Don't mind the gurus jawe. Each step still needs to be elaborated but i guess that's the overview. I will advise you take it one step @ a time. The gurus will add to this when they call off the strike wink
Thanks so much for this. I'll start as you've explained...and I hope the gurus will resume before I get back
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kunlebal(m): 10:06am On Nov 12, 2013
lisadem:

Don't mind the gurus jawe. perhaps they are on strike like ASUU grin. First, your visiting visa expiring very soon has nothing to do with your application for admission to school in the US. However, your B1/B2 visa might influence you getting a F1 visa if you didn't violate any rules during your visit to the US.
That said, the road to Obamaland isn't a smooth one. uneasy lies the head that wears the crown they say. In short, you start by doing independent research on the school that suites your needs (come up with schs yourself and inquire from gurus here if they are OK) , write standardized tests if required (that might involve you having a tour to neighboring countries or if desired, go to India shocked ), send application to sch by turning in the requisite docs, get admission and proceed to the embassy to claim your visa. Each step still needs to be elaborated but i guess that's the overview. I will advise you take it one step @ a time. The gurus will add to this when they call off the strike wink
STRIKE INDEED. cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:57am On Nov 12, 2013
conyema12:

Thanks Ricky.

This is the mail they sent;

The I-20 will be mailed express mail www.usps.com the tracking number ER 76XXXXXXX US

It takes 3-5 days to get to nigeria but you will get with with 7-10 because of naija custom and dispatcher delivery but u can still go to their office and pick it up with ur Driver's ID or International passport
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:00am On Nov 12, 2013
imperiouxx:

I use Google free call undecided

Bro, are u talking about google voice as google free call?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 12, 2013
@lisadem, lol :-) It's crazy and ridiculous :-) You can also make it sound much funnier by saying teleporting West Africa instead of going on a tour of West African countries.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 12:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hello guyz,

News reaching me now from the US Embassy lagos Location, Just confirmed to me now that our very own Brother here on NL, Walecrysler, just got his US student visa APPROVED today.

And to give you a tip of the iceberg, he is 26 yrs old going for undergraduate studies @ Southwest Minnesota State University and got the Visa @ the first trial.

A big Record breaking here on NL with that age. grin God really showered a Big favour upon you bro. He is really Wonderful.

Getting US student Visa for undergraduate studies this days with that kind of age and @ your first trial for that matter, is almost like a night mare in the US Embassy lately.

In other words, this goes out to Prospective students who fall under his category, Nothing is Impossible. Keep pushing and believe you shall get it. Age will never be a limit or an obstacule to your success.

Congrats Wale crysler, Welcome on board. Enjoy
your stay in Obamaland..

Na flexing things for me and u dis Xmas @ Minnesota oooooo.. gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nov2(m): 12:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Well I will advise u rescheduled ur appointment date to an early date cuz if u granted visa on 31 and u travelling around 20th of Jan am afraid u mite not b grant entry at d POE, cuz by den school wud have resume classes. and d VO might see u as not being serious at all.

chikenjoku1@yah:
Pls frnds my interview is on 31st dec and my school said u shld b in school on or defore d 6th of jan 2014 for spring session,,my problem is this,,wil d embassy ask me why am coming late since I was given admsision since august wil it create problem for me in d embassy? Anoda question is if dey give me visa and I travel around 20th of jan cos of preparations wil it create problem for me entering d Us as classes are begining on d 13th pls help!
chikenjoku1@yah:
Pls frnds my interview is on 31st dec and my school said u shld b in school on or defore d 6th of jan 2014 for spring session,,my problem is this,,wil d embassy ask me why am coming late since I was given admsision since august wil it create problem for me in d embassy? Anoda question is if dey give me visa and I travel around 20th of jan cos of preparations wil it create problem for me entering d Us as classes are begining on d 13th pls help!
chikenjoku1@yah:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 12:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ms Nas:
How do I contact you then? If you can see this now, reply me and i'll drop my email address

Awww was late. I'll try to recover my password
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walecrsyler: 12:55pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ricky Rozay: Hello guyz,

News reaching me now from the US Embassy lagos Location, Just confirmed to me now that our very own Brother here on NL, Walecrysler, just got his US student visa APPROVED today.

And to give you a tip of the iceberg, he is 26 yrs old going for undergraduate studies @ Southwest Minnesota State University and got the Visa @ the first trial.

A big Record breaking here on NL with that age. grin God really showered a Big favour upon you bro. He is really Wonderful.

Getting US student Visa for undergraduate studies this days with that kind of age and @ your first trial for that matter, is almost like a night mare in the US Embassy lately.

Thanks boss! It was just Gods favor . Will post my experience soon

In other words, this goes out to Prospective students who fall under his category, Nothing is Impossible. Keep pushing and believe you shall get it. Age will never be a limit or an obstacule to your success.

Congrats Wale crysler, Welcome on board. Enjoy
your stay in Obamaland..

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walecrsyler: 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
it was just GOD's favor.. Will Post my experience soon.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
Congrats Wale :-) Have a pleasant day!:-)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by winbyforce: 1:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
Walecrsyler: it was just GOD's favor.. Will Post my experience soon.
Congratulations!!! Enjoy your studies!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2013

Congratulation bro.. Nah God favour sure pass ooo and nah God Favour i dey look for everyday oo!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide098(m): 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Please am a Naija base Guy..But there are no more toefl centers here in Nigeria and have checked through Toefl site and i can see it clearly that they have centers at Contonou, Please advice me on how to make payment because i was directed to make a payment of 160$ via Visa/verve card...Please house advice me on what to do....should i go ahead to make the payment via my debit card online or still call them to make payment. Dont know the Journey from badagry to contonu at America cultural center at contonu by 9.30 am..how many hours is the journey? can i make it that day to the center please need your help on this...pls...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 12, 2013

I'm so happy for you bro.. I remember wen I came to ur place. I like your faith, I asked you to calm down that all will be well.. Alhaja is gonna be very happy now.. Congrats!

If God wishes, we gonna see in minnesota..

Great SMSUites!! smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tochium: 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2013

Congrats on ur visa approval. God will do it for me just as he has done for u.

Have fun!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Chatters(f): 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
Good day house, you are all doing a great job here encouraging each other. I have a situation I would love the house to help me resolve. I have constantly been receiving messages from the university of Notre Dame to apply to their master degree program. First was a message from the graduate school. Another came from the department. Yet another came from the program coordinator. Then came a message from the departmental graduate recruitment committee members. I know I didn't apply to this school. They said they got my details from toefl after scoring 102 in the test. My question now is this: is the university of notre dame a good school? What are my chances of getting admission? I have an undergraduate cgpa of 3.6 and my final two years of study produced a gpa of 4.2. It was stated in their website that the average cpga for admission is 3.6 out of 4. I emailed them about this and they replied that cgpa is not what they base their admission on alone. I asked them the possibility of offering admission since Nigeria is not allowed to write GRE in the country. They replied that I should get ets to send them a message that I was not able to test.they even sent me enticing messages like being offered over $26k funding on being admitted to their research based program. please house what should I do? Should I go ahead and apply? Is this for real?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tochium: 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
Amefrica:

I'm so happy for you bro.. I remember wen I came to ur place. I like your faith, I asked you to calm down that all will be well.. Alhaja is gonna be very happy now.. Congrats!

If God wishes, we gonna see in minnesota..

Great SMSUites!! smiley

Your fellow Mustang!

Don't worry u will have ur visa approved soon. God will definitely do it for u. Have faith.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kunlebal(m): 3:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Walecrsyler:

congrat bro, welcome to obamaland

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by nomso27(m): 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
Tochium:

Your fellow Mustang!

Don't worry u will have ur visa approved soon. God will definitely do it for u. Have faith.

Amen! Thanks bro..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by nomso27(m): 3:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ricky Rozay: Hello guyz,

wonderful work of our GOD.

Congrats bro@walecrysler, pls update. welcome to the team cheesy

#teambetterdaysahead#
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 3:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chatters: Good day house, you are all doing a great job here encouraging each other. I have a situation I would love the house to help me resolve. I have constantly been receiving messages from the university of Notre Dame to apply to their master degree program. First was a message from the graduate school. Another came from the department. Yet another came from the program coordinator. Then came a message from the departmental graduate recruitment committee members. I know I didn't apply to this school. They said they got my details from toefl after scoring 102 in the test. My question now is this: is the university of notre dame a good school? What are my chances of getting admission? I have an undergraduate cgpa of 3.6 and my final two years of study produced a gpa of 4.2. It was stated in their website that the average cpga for admission is 3.6 out of 4. I emailed them about this and they replied that cgpa is not what they base their admission on alone. I asked them the possibility of offering admission since Nigeria is not allowed to write GRE in the country. They replied that I should get ets to send them a message that I was not able to test.they even sent me enticing messages like being offered over $26k funding on being admitted to their research based program. please house what should I do? Should I go ahead and apply? Is this for real?

Its possible for u to recieved message from schools you listed on your toefl only if u filled that when registering for the toefl.

You can go to your school website to read more about the school or you try google.com or usnews.com etc to know more about your school of choice.

That your cgpa is good for you to get admission in any great schools in USA.

You can also write GRE in contonu or ghana, just check as from page 45 to present page u will see how to go about it.

Sicne they are given u funding, i will advise u to go for it.. I hope this help before other guru's write more..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Chatters(f): 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
Walspring:

Its possible for u to recieved message from schools you listed on your toefl only if u filled that when registering for the toefl.

You can go to your school website to read more about the school or you try google.com or usnews.com etc to know more about your school of choice.

That your cgpa is good for you to get admission in any great schools in USA.

You can also write GRE in contonu or ghana, just check as from page 45 to present page u will see how to go about it.

Sicne they are given u funding, i will advise u to go for it.. I hope this help before other guru's write more..

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm really perplexed. I only ticked a box during toefl registration that I wouldn't mind receiving messages from their partners. I hope to get other opinions so it wouldn't be that i have wasted my time on them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
@chatters, again, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You may pencil down this school and go for more. In other words, make sure you take the GRE. It is very important. Good luck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chatters: Good day house, you are all doing a great job here encouraging each other. I have a situation I would love the house to help me resolve. I have constantly been receiving messages from the university of Notre Dame to apply to their master degree program. First was a message from the graduate school. Another came from the department. Yet another came from the program coordinator. Then came a message from the departmental graduate recruitment committee members. I know I didn't apply to this school. They said they got my details from toefl after scoring 102 in the test. My question now is this: is the university of notre dame a good school? What are my chances of getting admission? I have an undergraduate cgpa of 3.6 and my final two years of study produced a gpa of 4.2. It was stated in their website that the average cpga for admission is 3.6 out of 4. I emailed them about this and they replied that cgpa is not what they base their admission on alone. I asked them the possibility of offering admission since Nigeria is not allowed to write GRE in the country. They replied that I should get ets to send them a message that I was not able to test.they even sent me enticing messages like being offered over $26k funding on being admitted to their research based program. please house what should I do? Should I go ahead and apply? Is this for real?

From what I've heard, Notre-Dame is a top-notch school. I think the issue with the school is that tuition and fees are usually quite high. Try to consider the whole package not just the scholarship they're offering.
Also try to research the rating of the individual program itself and not just the school (since it appears you will be applying for grad admissions).

Congrats Walecrysler.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chatters:

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm really perplexed. I only ticked a box during toefl registration that I wouldn't mind receiving messages from their partners. I hope to get other opinions so it wouldn't be that i have wasted my time on them.

thats good and try get other opinions/options and pick the best for yourself and moreover there is nothing as good as scholarship/funding oooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by shynepapin101: 5:07pm On Nov 12, 2013

Congrats to me and walecrsyler......were you interviewed by the booth 7 lady....wearing glasses. She interviewed me. I made a killing of the interview got myn by 11.45. Pick up is friday.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.