Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,824 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36479 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ok01: 1:06am On Nov 05, 2013
[quote author=six one][/quote]
Hum. U know this, and yet u ask your pastor 2 pray 4 u
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by alotofgrace(m): 1:08am On Nov 05, 2013
the only place i had seen purgatory was in "Dante's Inferno" cartoon
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by InvertedHammer: 1:11am On Nov 05, 2013
//

Heaven...Hell...Purgatory

No one knows.

All pure speculation!

//
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:15am On Nov 05, 2013
skydeexie: I have a few questions for the 'purgatarians':
1. Did Jesus ever taught purgatory even remotely or alluded to the fact of its existence?

Yes.

Matt. 5:26,18:34; Luke 12:58-59 – Jesus teaches us, “Come to terms with your opponent or you will be handed over to the judge and thrown into prison. You will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” The word “opponent” (antidiko) is likely a reference to the devil (see the same word for devil in 1 Pet. 5:8 ) who is an accuser against man (c.f. Job 1.6-12; Zech. 3.1; Rev. 12.10), and God is the judge. If we have not adequately dealt with satan and sin in this life, we will be held in a temporary state called a prison, and we won’t get out until we have satisfied our entire debt to God. This “prison” is purgatory where we will not get out until the last penny is paid.
Matt. 5:48 - Jesus says, "be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect." We are only made perfect through purification, and in Catholic teaching, this purification, if not completed on earth, is continued in a transitional state we call purgatory.
Matt. 12:32 – Jesus says, “And anyone who says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but no one who speaks against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven either in this world or in the next.” Jesus thus clearly provides that there is forgiveness after death. The phrase “in the next” (from the Greek “en to mellonti”) generally refers to the afterlife (see, for example, Mark 10.30; Luke 18.30; 20.34-35; Eph. 1.21 for similar language). Forgiveness is not necessary in heaven, and there is no forgiveness in hell. This proves that there is another state after death, and the Church for 2,000 years has called this state purgatory.
Luke 12:47-48 - when the Master comes (at the end of time), some will receive light or heavy beatings but will live. This state is not heaven or hell, because in heaven there are no beatings, and in hell we will no longer live with the Master.
Luke 16:19-31 - in this story, we see that the dead rich man is suffering but still feels compassion for his brothers and wants to warn them of his place of suffering. But there is no suffering in heaven or compassion in hell because compassion is a grace from God and those in hell are deprived from God's graces for all eternity. So where is the rich man? He is in purgatory.

scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html
skydeexie:
2. The dying thief who asked the Lord Jesus Christ for pardon and to remember him in His coming kingdom, is he in purgatory now?

I dont know if he is there now or in heaven now. But I know that Jesus said he would be with him in paradise that day...and Jesus did not ascend to his father that day.
skydeexie:
3. Where are Moses, Elijah and all the other prophets of old, are they in purgatory including Mary the mother of our Lord?

These people are surely in heaven.

Now can you answer these questions?

Matt. 12:32 - And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

That verse clearly shows that there are some other sins that can be forgiven in the world to come.

Since there's no forgivess in heaven or hell, where in the world to come are sins forgiven?

1 Cor 3:15 - If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

Where is this that people suffer loss and are saved as by fire?

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 1:16am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Everyone in purgatory is heaven bound.

God releases them sometime between their particular judgement when they are sent to purgatory and the general judgement when all those in purgatory are received into heaven.

You see how clearly I answered your questions?

Now please answer me the same way.

Matt. 12:32 - And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

That verse clearly shows that there are some other sins that can be forgiven in the world to come

Since there's no forgivess in heaven or hell, where in the world to come are sins forgiven?

1 Cor 3:15 - If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

where 'judgement' will be done by God.

To start with, we both know that if sins are not forgiven here on earth after Jesus' death and resurrection, then the sacrifice is a total waste of time. Perhaps, He needed not to come here on earth if sins could be forgiven somewhere up there. (theres no debate if you disagree).

The matthew scripture, interpreting literaly, following your analogy,
it would mean;
1. There are some other sins that will not also be forgiven in the world to come.
2. There are some that will be forgiven in the world to come (as you said)
3. There are some other sins that wont be forgiven in this world.

I hope thats right.
....and if 3 is right, which sin exactly did Christ's death pay for?

For the 1 Cor scripture, I recommend a more guided study as I perceive that this is the most misinterpeted verse in the bible and note that that it doesnt say anyman will pass through fire (note the 'as by fire' is much like a simile).
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by freeradical(m): 1:41am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:
Answer: where judgement will be done by God.

To start with, we both know that if sins are not forgiven here on earth after Jesus' death and resurrection, then the sacrifice is a total waste of time. Perhaps, He needed not to come here on earth if sins could be forgiven somewhere up there. (theres no debate if you disagree).

it would mean;
1. There are some other sins that will not also be forgiven in the world to come.

I hope thats right.

For the 1 Cor scripture, I recommend a more guided study as I perceive that this is the most misinterpeted verse in the bible.
Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is not an express ticket to heaven. Your works must first show its worth when its tested through fire only then can you be free to enter heaven. If Jesus had not died for us no matter how righteous you live you wont smell heaven because of the guiltof Adam and eve's sin. That's why he descended into hell to free all the righteous ones that had died before his crucifixion. This is just natural heavenly law.....u cannot be holy enough to just waltz straight to heaven because because every sin you commit has a temporal punishment which you must satisfy even after that sin has been forgiven. those that arent paid back in this life will surely be atoned for in the world to come. kapito grin

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by freeradical(m): 1:44am On Nov 05, 2013
ProfChris10: I am a witness to this, Paul was saying something similar in Rom7:15-24, but in 25 he finally understands the mystery of it all, and it was this same Paul that fought the good fight of faith, he was able to endure till death, the secret is in Christ Jesus, I'm a witness to this, I have tried my power to live righteous but it didn't work, one still finds himself doing what he doesn't like, but thanks be to God, through Christ, you become dead to sin, you no longer have the desires, even when temptation comes Jesus is able to keep us from falling. my point is that we should not put hope in a purgatory, pray God to keep you spotless and blameless, Christ is coming for a spotless and blameless church, without wrinkle. Sometimes the truth is bitter, Nothing unholy shall enter therein, How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation. Though we all are entitled to our own believes. Stay blessed.
Guy are you saying you no longer sin now? shocked
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 1:54am On Nov 05, 2013
free radical: Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is not an express ticket to heaven. Your works must first show its worth when its tested through fire only then can you be free to enter heaven. If Jesus had not died for us no matter how righteous you live you wont smell heaven because of the guiltof Adam and eve's sin. That's why he descended into hell to free all the righteous ones that had died before his crucifixion. This is just natural heavenly law.....u cannot be holy enough to just waltz straight to heaven because because every sin you commit has a temporal punishment which you must satisfy even after that sin has been forgiven. those that arent paid back in this life will surely be atoned for in the world to come. kapito grin

sure, you cant claim youre forgiven and still choose to live in sin.

Concerning the bold, if you are still punished (temporarily) on earth (and even after death) after you've been forgiven, then what exactly is forgiveness?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:56am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:
Answer: where judgement will be done by God.

You already answered that these sins will be forgiven where judgement will be done (up there). That is contradictory to the rest of the above. Sort yourself out.
adsonstone:
it would mean;

I hope thats right.

Dont put it down to me. It was Christ who said so.

Matt 12:32 - And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

adsonstone:
For the 1 Cor scripture, I recommend a more guided study as I perceive that this is the most misinterpeted verse in the bible.

That is why we are here. Give us the "more guided study," if you can.

3 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:57am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:

sure, you cant claim youre forgiven and still choose to live in sin.

Concerning the bold, if you are still punished (temporarily) on earth (and even after death) after you've been forgiven, then what exactly is forgiveness?

You surely have not read how God forgave David yet made him pay for the sin.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by khadaffi(m): 2:04am On Nov 05, 2013
What more can I say. The foolishness of man knows no bound.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 2:24am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

You already answered that these sins will be forgiven where judgement will be done (up there). That is contradictory to the rest of the above. Sort yourself out.
Dont misquote me, I never said sins will be forgiven up there.
It seem you forgot your question, you said 'where is this place that people suffer loss and are saved as by fire' and my answer was 'where the 'judgement will be done by God.' How does that contradict?
Literaly, that passage says a man's work will be burned (not the man) and he'll suffer loss (which is in line cos wen one's work is burned, itz a loss to him) but he'll be saved (I dont even think youll xpect him to burn with his work)-thats straightforward (literaly)

italo:
Dont put it down to me. It was Christ who said so.

Matt 12:32 - And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.
I only helped you do what you were already doing since nothing is hard for you even implying(infering) what Christ did not say from what He said. I did not put it down to you.

italo:
That is why we are here. Give us the "more guided study," if you can.
No, I wont.
Why?
I'm not in the position to give you that.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 2:28am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

You surely have not read how God forgave David yet made him pay for the sin.
intead of referring me to this, I think you should refer me to someone God punished after Christ died for his sins.....that would be better.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by zo3184: 2:37am On Nov 05, 2013
God existence only flourish in Africans mind, brothers and sisters God almighty do not exist. Religion is a crush for weak minded people(Africans).
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 3:35am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:
intead of referring me to this, I think you should refer me to someone God punished after Christ died for his sins.....that would be better.

This is sufficient!

Your question was:

That shows you what exactly (God's) forgiveness is.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 3:53am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:
Dont misquote me, I never said sins will be forgiven up there.
It seem you forgot your question, you said 'where is this place that people suffer loss and are saved as by fire' and my answer was 'where the 'judgement will be done by God.' How does that contradict?
Literaly, that passage says a man's work will be burned (not the man) and he'll suffer loss (which is in line cos wen one's work is burned, itz a loss to him) but he'll be saved (I dont even think youll xpect him to burn with his work)-thats straightforward (literaly)
You mean some people heading for heaven will suffer loss after this life?

If yes, it is that state of "suffering loss" that we Catholics call purgatory. No one suffers loss in heaven...and no is saved in hell.
adsonstone:
I only helped you do what you were already doing since nothing is hard for you even implying(infering) what Christ did not say from what He said. I did not put it down to you.
Matt. 12:32 clearly implies that there are sins that will be forgiven in the world to come.

I dont know why you are fighting me over words that aren't mine but the Lord's.
adsonstone:
No, I wont.
Why?
I'm not in the position to give you that.

If you're not in a position to give a more guided study than mine, what then are you doing trying to give a more guided study on the same 1 Cor 3:15 above?

Or perhaps you wont because you haven't found Enigma to teach you how to twist the verse.

3 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by felix281(m): 4:57am On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
How else do u want me to answer his questn when he is just beatn around d bush. pls if u dn't hav anytin 2 say u shot ur cavity.
@ lizzy,u are nt asking this question to know d truth or sees point people were making,u ask to critize or make mockery; u shout in a little question u were ask cos u are so myopic in this topic,plz if u dnt know a jar abt dis,as a OP u shout up and learn frm people' opinion.nobody is a depository of his own wisdom.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by felix281(m): 5:03am On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
Bible said is appointd un2 man 2 die once afta death judgement follows. Notin lyk after death purgatory follows.
since u know d answer frm ur own point of view why asking this question at the first place? Abeg stop asking again!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Okay.

That verse clearly shows that there are some other sins that can be forgiven in the world to come.

You said no forgivess in heaven or hell, so where in the world to come are sins forgiven?

This dude is really funny. Nowhere in the verses quoted is it suggested that any sin will be forgiven in the world to come. So how did he come about the idea of sins being forgiven in the afterlife?

People should stop assuming and misinterpreting the Bible .
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Kei144(m): 5:59am On Nov 05, 2013
He. 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly,
He. 12:23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect,
He. 12:24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

I think that there were some things that the early Church (led by Jews) knew that the Romans (gentiles) did not clearly understand when they took over leadership of the Church from the Jews. The Roman Church therefore began to teach doctrines that were corrupted. That is why I see the RCC as the first stage in the evolution of the gentile church. I do not condemn the church; I rather see it as how the gentiles started their Christianity.

The doctrine of purgatory seems to be one of those corrupted doctrines, by which I mean that there may have been a clearer understanding of what happens to spirits (souls) of dead saints (followers of Christ) while they rest in Paradise. Hebrews 12:23 may be alluding to that. We all know that no follower of Christ has yet attained perfection in the land of the living. It is only the followers of Christ that will participate in the rapture that must attain perfection here on earth (Eph 5:27). But Heb 12:23 describes spirits of dead saints already made perfect. The process of purging the spirits of dead saints of their imperfection may be what purgatory is all about. However, the process is definitely nothing like the RCC describes in their doctrine of purgatory.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 6:02am On Nov 05, 2013
All These Christians that are Fact Finders n not followers of Christ..can you see the way ure confusing urself..
Africa Is purgatory..
Ogun will Bomb all of You..

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by kgr8mike(m): 6:04am On Nov 05, 2013
In my view, we should live with the consciousness of heaven in view. This great God is bigger than the thoughts of men. Jesus said we should fear him that has power to cast a man to hell. We should think more of the place called heaven. There may not be such a place called purgatory. There is only truth or a lie,half truth or half a lie is a lie. God is not confused.So to think of an incubating place is confusion. Get born again and know what it means to be so born and you will no longer be in doubt of where you are headed. If you are so born -heaven but if you are not so born, it is unfortunate -hell.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Lawconfessor(f): 6:40am On Nov 05, 2013
God me!

What a late comer i am. Whew!!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by papat26(m): 6:50am On Nov 05, 2013
if u dnt no wat 2 say u keep ur mouth short,were in d bible did u see purgatory and also remeber wat bible said u shuld nt add or remove.so be careful and nt 2 lay astery pls go and read ur bible and 4 u nt be decieved. tnk u.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 05, 2013
I strongly believe there's purgatory, cos had there been none? EVERYBODY will go to hell cos we are all sinners, christ even said it that no one sins less than seven times a day, soo? If there's no purgatory where those tht died with venial sin( anybody who dies with mortal sin goes straight to hell) go and suffer for their sins, then we all shld get ready for hell.....

Asides this, there are many verses of d bible wch potray purgatory, though it wasnt called purgartory in the bible but was later named meaning place of suffering

All these people arguing that purgatory wasnt mentioned in the bible, is there any place tht holy trinity was mentioned in bible? Buh you believe in it cos many verses potray it, so y not purgatory??
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Syncan(m): 6:54am On Nov 05, 2013
Pipsland78:

This dude is really funny. Nowhere in the verses quoted is it suggested that any sin will be forgiven in the world to come. So how did he come about the idea of sins being forgiven in the afterlife?

People should stop assuming and misinterpreting the Bible .

Indulge us wise one then, with your deep understanding of those words in bold.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Syncan(m): 7:01am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

This is sufficient!

Your question was:

That shows you what exactly (God's) forgiveness is.

I had felt like shouting the bolded a long time ago. You've answered quite a lot of questions thrown, yet no one has attempted to give an answer to yours. A lot of bla bla bla, yet the questions asked since the first page continued to be unanswered.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Yes.

Matt. 5:26,18:34; Luke 12:58-59 – Jesus teaches us, “Come to terms with your opponent or you will be handed over to the judge and thrown into prison. You will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” The word “opponent” (antidiko) is likely a reference to the devil (see the same word for devil in 1 Pet. 5:8 ) who is an accuser against man (c.f. Job 1.6-12; Zech. 3.1; Rev. 12.10), and God is the judge. If we have not adequately dealt with satan and sin in this life, we will be held in a temporary state called a prison, and we won’t get out until we have satisfied our entire debt to God. This “prison” is purgatory where we will not get out until the last penny is paid.
Matt. 5:48 - Jesus says, "be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect." We are only made perfect through purification, and in Catholic teaching, this purification, if not completed on earth, is continued in a transitional state we call purgatory.
Matt. 12:32 – Jesus says, “And anyone who says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but no one who speaks against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven either in this world or in the next.” Jesus thus clearly provides that there is forgiveness after death. The phrase “in the next” (from the Greek “en to mellonti”) generally refers to the afterlife (see, for example, Mark 10.30; Luke 18.30; 20.34-35; Eph. 1.21 for similar language). Forgiveness is not necessary in heaven, and there is no forgiveness in hell. This proves that there is another state after death, and the Church for 2,000 years has called this state purgatory.
Luke 12:47-48 - when the Master comes (at the end of time), some will receive light or heavy beatings but will live. This state is not heaven or hell, because in heaven there are no beatings, and in hell we will no longer live with the Master.
Luke 16:19-31 - in this story, we see that the dead rich man is suffering but still feels compassion for his brothers and wants to warn them of his place of suffering. But there is no suffering in heaven or compassion in hell because compassion is a grace from God and those in hell are deprived from God's graces for all eternity. So where is the rich man? He is in purgatory.

scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

I dont know if he is there now or in heaven now. But I know that Jesus said he would be with him in paradise that day...and Jesus did not ascend to his father that day.

These people are surely in heaven.

Now can you answer these questions?

I love this !!!!...u r really engrossed in the bible..keep it up....anybody still arguing abt existence of purgatory ?

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Pdizzle(m): 7:03am On Nov 05, 2013
Italo stop explaining, u dnt expect sumone who has not been tru cathecism to understand purgatory, its lyk teachn a man who doesnt knw arithmetic calculus.There a lot of tins attached to it lyk d mortal n venial sins n d dere source wit d bible passage bckn it.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by WongFeiHong(m): 7:04am On Nov 05, 2013
This is BUULLSHHIIT,Man
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Parishpriest1: 7:08am On Nov 05, 2013
@Italo, i cannot but say thank you, for answering your questions with maturity and good biblical quotations. This is how a debate ought to be done in nairaland. Kudos
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by christyhoney: 7:10am On Nov 05, 2013
Ducolax is a pulgatory

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Pastor Richmond Leigh Is Dead / Father Mbaka Warns Judges Over Cultism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.