Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,335 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy (5704 Views)

Okotie,the Catholic Church & Our Gross National Lunacy:Fire In Bullshyt Mountain / Nigerian at 53: Jim Iyke, T.B Joshua And Our Gross National Lunacy / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 7:25pm On Nov 04, 2013
Is God a solution or the Problem?

This is a very poignant question in the face of all the senseless tragedies , all the unthinkable wonders that Nigerians are confronted with on regular and consistent basis every fortnight or so.

What almost brings tears to my eyes is that no one is asking the right questions.
No one seems to ever get it. Every is pointing fingers at political figures and trading blames.

So far, I have hardly seen anyone point an accusing finger at the Catholic church or the highly flamboyant Fraudster, Rev. Mbaka for the tragic loss of so many innocent lives.
Why?

No one is asking why, people, thousands of people have what seem to be an inexplicable need to worship god in the middle of the night?.

No one is asking why , in this 21st century ,are people still sooo deeply mired in magical thinking, that presumably sane men and women would deprive themselves and their young children, the joy and benefits of a good night's sleep just to attend a night crusade or night vigil, as they call it, organized by a charismatic fraudster of a descrepit religious institution?.

Why does no one ever ask for an audit of all previous mass prayers, mass crusades and night vigils to verify or ascertain it's much touted efficacy in the alleviation of the many ailments of both our personal and national psyches?

In any civilized society, the organizers of this event would have been in police custody answering questions and possibly facing criminal charges for negligent homicide.

In Nigeria?
Well, it must be the will of god.
So lets give thanks to God almighty!
embarassed undecided cry

12 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Lovetinz(m): 7:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
My only regret is I can like your post only once.

But I will add to add here that God is not the problem.
The problem is Ignorance fostered by Illiteracy coupled with Extreme Poverty in the midst of Plenty.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by nnofaith: 7:55pm On Nov 04, 2013
They went to the crusade to save their souls but lost their lives!

4 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 8:02pm On Nov 04, 2013
nnofaith: They went to the crusade to save their souls but lost their lives!

Yeah.
I wonder if that is a plus or minus in the god-magic-thinking world.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 04, 2013
plaetton:

Yeah.

A plus. They've gone to a better place: heaven.

Doesn't matter if one of victims recently gave birth to a beautiful kid. The child's now orphaned. To God be the glory.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by nnofaith: 7:23am On Nov 05, 2013
plaetton:

Yeah.
definately a minus.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 05, 2013
Mr Atheist first and foremost Very Rev Fr Mbaka was not the priest involved and he is definitely not a fraudster get your facts right.Secondary the stampede was caused by chants of fire which sent panic among the tens of thousands making people to run for cover and in the process tample on others.The same thing could have happened even if it occured in broad daylight or a secular gathering.if you don't believe in God allow those who do to worship him in the way it pleases them.

The event was just a tragic accident,I only resent the politicisation by desperadoes.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton: In any civilized society, the organizers of this event would have been in police custody answering questions and possibly facing criminal charges for negligent homicide.

In Nigeria?
embarassed undecided cry

Gbaaam!!
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by nnofaith: 12:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
chukwudi44: Mr Atheist first and foremost Very Rev Fr Mbaka was not the priest involved and he is definitely not a fraudster get your facts right.Secondary the stampede was caused by chants of fire which sent panic among the tens of thousands making people to run for cover and in the process tample on others.The same thing could have happened even if it occured in broad daylight or a secular gathering.if you don't believe in God allow those who do to worship him in the way it pleases them.

The event was just a tragic accident,I only resent the politicisation by desperadoes.
Its like you dont get the point! Why will god allow people that have come to worship him perish like that?! if they had gone to a musical concert and the tragedy happened one would have understood, but for "christ's sake they went to worship!

your god does work in mysterious ways. he kills people who come to "whoreship" him!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by DeepSight(m): 12:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton: Is God a solution or the Problem?

This is a very poignant question in the face of all the senseless tragedies , all the unthinkable wonders that Nigerians are confronted with on regular and consistent basis every fortnight or so.

What almost brings tears to my eyes is that no one is asking the right questions.
No one seems to ever get it. Every is pointing fingers at political figures and trading blames.

So far, I have hardly seen anyone point an accusing finger at the Catholic church or the highly flamboyant Fraudster, Rev. Mbaka for the tragic loss of so many innocent lives.
Why?

No one is asking why, people, thousands of people have what seem to be an inexplicable need to worship god in the middle of the night?.

No one is asking why , in this 21st century ,are people still sooo deeply mired in magical thinking, that presumably sane men and women would deprive themselves and their young children, the joy and benefits of a good night's sleep just to attend a night crusade or night vigil, as they call it, organized by a charismatic fraudster of a descrepit religious institution?.

Why does no one ever ask for an audit of all previous mass prayers, mass crusades and night vigils to verify or ascertain it's much touted efficacy in the alleviation of the many ailments of both our personal and national psyches?

In any civilized society, the organizers of this event would have been in police custody answering questions and possibly facing criminal charges for negligent homicide.

In Nigeria?
embarassed undecided cry

Can you point out how God comes into this?
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by DeepSight(m): 12:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
chukwudi44: Mr Atheist first and foremost Very Rev Fr Mbaka was not the priest involved and he is definitely not a fraudster get your facts right.Secondary the stampede was caused by chants of fire which sent panic among the tens of thousands making people to run for cover and in the process tample on others.The same thing could have happened even if it occured in broad daylight or a secular gathering.if you don't believe in God allow those who do to worship him in the way it pleases them.

K.O!
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
I said this in a previous thread:

One of Gods greatest gifts, aside from the Atonement, is “Free Agency.” We all have it. Unfortunately, we have no control over others, who may impose their agency on us. The influence of others in our lives and the lives of those we love is not God’s acquiescence (acceptance). It is simply His respect for the gift He has given us.

Didn't someone yell "fire"? This person is at fault. Not the organizers. It is the fault of this miscreant(s). Is it not?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 5:14pm On Nov 06, 2013
texanomaly: I said this in a previous thread:

One of Gods greatest gifts, aside from the Atonement, is “Free Agency.” We all have it. Unfortunately, we have no control over others, who may impose their agency on us. The influence of others in our lives and the lives of those we love is not God’s acquiescence (acceptance). It is simply His respect for the gift He has given us.

Didn't someone yell "fire"? This person is at fault. Not the organizers. It is the fault of this miscreant(s). Is it not?

Everything is man's fault. shocked, and yet christians, including the unfortunate dead, believed that god was the pilot of their fortunes. Do you see the contradiction?

Always a copout for god.
How convenient. undecided

Now imagine if something good or very beneficial had come out of that night vigil for some or all the attendees.
Everyone, including you, madam, would be singing praises to god. Not so?

God seems to be the most slippery escape artist ever known. cry

He sneaks in to take credit for the good fortunes, and always sneaks out in times of bad fortunes. embarassed

In case, you all missed my point on this thread, let me ask it again?

1. What are sane people, including children and infants, doing in the middle of the night instead of a healthy good night's sleep?
What are they looking for in the night that they could not have found in the daytime?

2. All this magical thinking relating to prayers and vigils, haven't we done enough of prayers and vigils to able to look back now to see if there are any benefits at all for the previous efforts?

3. Again, regarding this magical thinking, if they were to worship a god whom they believed to be present, why didn't god forsee and prevent the tragedy from happening?
Where is the miracle? Where is the magic that is expected from magical thinking?

4. Who is going to hold the organizers responsible?

5. Any lessons learnt?

Answer: No. We are way toooo dumb to learn any lessons.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
Deep Sight:

can you read at all??

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2013

If we have "free agency", then why do people spend a disproportionate amount of their lives praying, supplicating and worshiping a skygod to intervene in their lives for better fortunes?

If man truly have "free agency" then religion should stand redundant and superfluous.
Humans should be seen as the masters of their destiny.
This is something I have emphasized so much.

Do you agree?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 5:30pm On Nov 06, 2013
When adults drag their children and infants out at night to attend vigils, prayers and what ever to an invisible sky fairy week after week, month after month, year after year, then OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING IS WRONG somewhere.

One does not need rocket science to figure that out.
Yes, indeed , there are a lot of problems that confront the average Nigerian on a daily basis.

But is the magical fairy God the solution to the numerous problems, or is it a very big part of the problem itself.?

This is what requires critical thought.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2013

sure, and every bad thing comes from the devil (through that 'someone'). But where was He when he was needed to protect those who came to worship Him?? Stop defending what is obvious crap..

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 5:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
Something happpened when paul was preaching sommewhere in the bible. A young lad fell from a window, asleep. He died. God raised him up. God does not lead innocent people to die prematurely. There are many things to be taken into account.
Understand what I'm saying.

God is good.
What if paul did not take the lad up and raise him? Will you blame God?
God does not lead people to die in the middle of the night. Every good and perfect gift comes from him. This is a delicaate case to be scrutinized carefully if you really want answers.
It will do no good to blame God for these peoples deaths.

We might as well blame God for the bombing of abortion clinics.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 5:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
Oh, by the way, India just launched a spacecraft to Mars.

Nigerians are generating megatons of prayer power every hour, but unfortunately, we our scientists/wise men from our ubiquitous churches and bible colleges have not yet figured out how to convert prayer power to usable electricity.

I guess we just need a little more night vigils.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 5:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton: When adults drag their children and infants out at night to attend vigils, prayers and what ever to an invisible sky fairy week after week, month after month, year after year, then OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING IS WRONG somewhere.

One does not need rocket science to figure that out.
Yes, indeed , there are a lot of problems that confront the average Nigerian on a daily basis.

But is the magical fairy God the solution to the numerous problems, or is it a very big part of the problem itself.?

This is what requires critical thought.
the fairy and magical skydaddy doesn't answer prayers. But the living God I serve and know answers prayers and keeps his children. You're generalizing the issue.

"I prayed, God didn't answer me, he doesn't exist.
I claim to serve God, he didn't protect me, he doesn't exist."

^this is not credible thinking.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 5:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: Something happpened when paul was preaching sommewhere in the bible. A young lad fell from a window, asleep. He died. God raised him up. God does not lead innocent people to die prematurely. There are many things to be taken into account.

God is good.
God does not lead people to die in the middle of the night. Every good and perfect gift comes from him. This is a delicaate case to be scrutinized carefully if you really want answers.

I have to tell you, you should not have to comment on every post.
most times your post provide comic relief, and some times, they are just damn annoying.
Your ignorance can be too annoying.

In other words,
shut up.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 5:44pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: the fairy and magical skydaddy doesn't answer prayers. But the living God I serve and know answers prayers and keeps his children. You're generalizing the issue.

So , your god is different and better than the fairy skydaddy of the dead vigil attendees, huh? shocked

Hhhhmmm.
.......Where have I heard that before?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: Something happpened when paul was preaching sommewhere in the bible. A young lad fell from a window, asleep. He died. God raised him up. God does not lead innocent people to die prematurely. There are many things to be taken into account.

God is good.

but he can lead people to die in broad day light, as in the case of the xmas day bombing in Niger state, for example abi? That aside, where did that 'inspiration' to hold a vigil come from?
So who is to be blamed?
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 5:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:

If god doesn't answer your prayers, then why do you pray, mo.ron.?
you call me foolish and you cannot even understand the simple rationale behind that post.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 5:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:

If we have "free agency", then why do people spend a disproportionate amount of their lives praying, supplicating and worshiping a skygod to intervene in their lives for better fortunes?

If man truly have "free agency" then religion should stand redundant and superfluous.
Humans should be seen as the masters of their destiny.
This is something I have emphasized so much.
Do you agree?

To an extent. I'm sure nowhere near where you would be comfortable. I am working on your last post. I will get back to this one.

Ok. Wait. Modify:

I stepped away for a moment. There have been many posts. Let me catch up.
brb
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton: Is God a solution or the Problem?

Why?

In Nigeria?
embarassed undecided cry

This is an example of threads that should make the front page.

Good one bro.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
nnofaith: They went to the crusade to save their souls but lost their lives!

Hmmm. Thought provoking.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:

A plus. They've gone to a better place: heaven.

Doesn't matter if one of victims recently gave birth to a beautiful kid. The child's now orphaned. To God be the glory.

Lwkmd. Its always a win-win situation. They are alive, Gods grace. Dead, to God be the glory.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:
Oh, by the way, India just launched a spacecraft to Mars.

Doesn't compare to text sending demons in Nigeria. One day, a Google driverless car will pass by our churches and they'll claim the Devil just drove by.

Happy prisoners. Why go to the moon when HEAVEN is far better?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2013
Deep Sight:

This wasn't addressed to me but if I may come in, I'll say they went to worship God. He should had at least protected people who came to seek his face.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: you call me foolish and you cannot even understand the simple rationale behind that post.

Rationale behind your post?. . .Your post and rationale can never be put in the same sentence, no body ever makes sense of anything you write beside mindless drones and deluded indoctrinated people like you. . .You don't even know how to reason at all. all you do is regurgitate religious mantra and cliches that you have been indoctrinated with all the time. . .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Do You Go To Your Church? / Stand Up And Be Counted: Pastor E. A. Adeboye's Terrifying Dream / TB Joshua 2016 'prophecy' Dissected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.