Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy (5711 Views)

Okotie,the Catholic Church & Our Gross National Lunacy:Fire In Bullshyt Mountain / Nigerian at 53: Jim Iyke, T.B Joshua And Our Gross National Lunacy / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: the fairy and magical skydaddy doesn't answer prayers. But the living God I serve and know answers prayers and keeps his children. You're generalizing the issue.

"I prayed, God didn't answer me, he doesn't exist.
I claim to serve God, he didn't protect me, he doesn't exist."

^this is not credible thinking.

@ the bolded. You should had said,

They prayed, God didn't answer them, he doesn't exist.
They claim to serve God, he didn't protect them, he doesn't exist.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2013
All the gods that Nigerians worship need to be arrested for dereliction of duty. When will Nigerians realize that they worship dead gods that will never help them?. . .PLEASE how many religious gathering have we had and what are the results?. . .Endless night vigils, prayers and other religious gatherings, yet what we see is more poverty, more crime, terrorism, bad leadership, industrial actions, disorder, corruption, premature death. . .The Nigeria I knew since when I was a kid is the same Nigeria that is existing today, no major positive change, yet people are still praying , gathering at religious events and deluding themselves. To what end?. . .

I want the deluded religious people here to list just 3 positive things that their endless night vigils and religious gatherings have done to Nigeria as a country. . .

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst:
Something happpened when paul was preaching sommewhere in the bible. A young lad fell from a window, asleep. He died. God raised him up. God does not lead innocent people to die prematurely. There are many things to be taken into account.
Understand what I'm saying.
Are you insinuating that the people who died in this event may not have been ínnocent?

Joshthefirst:
God is good.
Some of the time. For the other times he isn't, he somehow convinces you it was for a greater purpose.

Joshthefirst:
What if paul did not take the lad up and raise him? Will you blame God?
And what life lesson would this kid or anyone have taken from this? That God pushes people out the window so that he can resurrect them just for fun?

Joshthefirst:
God does not lead people to die in the middle of the night. Every good and perfect gift comes from him.
Yeah, right. I know where this is headed.

Joshthefirst:
This is a delicaate case to be scrutinized carefully if you really want answers. It will do no good to blame God for these peoples deaths.
But if they had survived, we would all bow down and thank God for his faithfulness.

Joshthefirst:
We might as well blame God for the bombing of abortion clinics.
Of course. God doesn't like abortion so he sends his people to destroy such corrupt places.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 06, 2013
mazaje:
I want the deluded religious people here to list just 3 positive things that their endless night vigils and religious gatherings have done to Nigeria as a country. . .

If they had not prayed and done all that worshipping, things would have been much worse. The fact that this country is still one is testament to God's goodness and mercies. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 06, 2013
mazaje: All the gods that Nigerians worship need to be arrested for dereliction of duty. When will Nigerians realize that they worship dead gods that will never help them?. . .PLEASE how many religious gathering have we had and what are the results?. . .Endless night vigils, prayers and other religious gatherings, yet what we see is more poverty, more crime, terrorism, bad leadership, industrial actions, disorder, corruption, premature death. . .The Nigeria I knew since when I was a kid is the same Nigeria that is existing today, no major positive change, yet people are still praying , gathering at religious events and deluding themselves. To what end?. . .

1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Nothing

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: you call me foolish and you cannot even understand the simple rationale behind that post.
i quoted you, i'm expecting your answer..
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:

If they had not prayed and done all that worshipping, things would have been much worse. The fact that this country is still one is testament to God's goodness and mercies. cool cool

Yeah, I get. .Checkmate. .God wins all the time. . . grin
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 6:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
Dap07:
but he can lead people to die in broad day light, as in the case of the xmas day bombing in Niger state, for example abi? That aside, where did that 'inspiration' to hold a vigil come from?
So who is to be blamed?
Dap07:
i quoted you, i'm expecting your answer..
Sorry, I didn't see.
The xmas day bombings is a different case, a case of persecution. This case is a simple accident.

You assume the inspiration to hold a vigil where innocent people will die because of an accident is from God?
You might as well assume the terrorists who kill people are from God because they claim to do it in Gods name.

God has already rightly put forth his character and his nature and what he's prone to do in the bible.
That people claim to do things in Gods name doesn't mean they actually are sent by God.

The atheists in this thread are just trying to blame God for any evil or mishap they see. When I come to try and get them to think straight, they call me deluded and foolish. Why would a God who protects his children send them to go and die in an accident?
The same God that has saved me from accidents by warning me and directing my going in and coming out.

This is just an attempt to blame societal evils on God. And I'm called biased and foolish. The roman empire also blamed earthquakes and natural disasters on the christians in old times.
I see no difference.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 06, 2013
Dap07:
yeah, at least a place to express our thoughts...but is it really safe if this thread dosnt make front page?..

My thoughts exactly. These are threads that should make front page.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 6:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:

Everything is man's fault. shocked, and yet christians, including the unfortunate dead, believed that god was the pilot of their fortunes. Do you see the contradiction?

Always a copout for god.
How convenient. undecided

Covered this above.

plaetton:
Now imagine if something good or very beneficial had come out of that night vigil for some or all the attendees.
Everyone, including you, madam, would be singing praises to god. Not so?

Well something good did come out of it for some of them. They are alive. They survived a terrible tragedy caused by some irresponsible individual. More than likely a youth, who thought it would be funny, and as youths often do, did not think about the consequences. How is this the fault of the church or it's leaders?

God seems to be the most slippery escape artist ever known. cry

^^^Somehow missed this part in quoting. Sorry.

plaetton:
He sneaks in to take credit for the good fortunes, and always sneaks out in times of bad fortunes. embarassed

In case, you all missed my point on this thread, let me ask it again?

Again, addressed this previously.

plaetton:
1. What are sane people, including children and infants, doing in the middle of the night instead of a healthy good night's sleep?
What are they looking for in the night that they could not have found in the daytime?

I will be honest here. I have never been to a night vigil. I can not answer this one.

plaetton:
2. All this magical thinking relating to prayers and vigils, haven't we done enough of prayers and vigils to able to look back now to see if there are any benefits at all for the previous efforts?

This is inaccurate. Prayer does have benefits. You would call it coincidence, if I cited examples, so I won't bother. Suffice it to say,
that it is faith that makes it happen, but that is a useless concept to you.

plaetton:
3. Again, regarding this magical thinking, if they were to worship a god whom they believed to be present, why didn't god forsee and prevent the tragedy from happening?
Where is the miracle? Where is the magic that is expected from magical thinking?

I answered this in previous posts. I will not repeat myself.

plaetton:
4. Who is going to hold the organizers responsible?

I hope no one. It is not their fault.

plaetton:
5. Any lessons learnt?
Answer: No. We are way toooo dumb to learn any lessons.]

I hope they will have fire drills at the beginning of any future vigils. Perhaps they could do like airlines before a flight. Explain where the exits are, and give an exit strategy before each vigil.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
rationalmind:

They not only believe it, they try to rationalise it. That's what surprises me the most. Is this incidence not sufficient to open their eyes? No. The person that shouted is at fault, God has better plans, God is good all the time.
that's because he says he is.
And we've seen his faithfulness. If anything happens out of sorts, then we look to ourselves. Because God is faithful.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:

Nigerian Christians believe
- demons can send text
- giving 10% to God every month gives you 'higher' blessings.
- atheism is a religion
- christianity isn't a religion

And dem wan make I take dem serious? grin

E go hard o. Even those you expect to be reasonable end up sharing absurd stories with you.

It is those in that category I am talking about since they are the ones I associate and deal with. . .I don't expect a market woman/man to reason well or logically because they are mostly illiterate, unexposed and constrained in one way or the other. . .I went to church like two weeks ago for child dedication and hmmmm. . .Kai! All I can say is that people are just crazy. . .The bottom line is Nigerians mostly worship god because they are poor, miserable and in need of financial help, because there is no way a reasonable person will not see throw the con that was on display in the church i attended. . .The pastor was obviously LYING, SCAMMING and saying absolute nonsense, but people were chorusing amen and sweating to the rubbish he was saying. . .Haba naija!!!. . . .
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst:
God has already rightly put forth his character and his nature and what he's prone to do in the bible.

Yeah, Bro.

Jeremiah 27
[b]Give them a message for their masters and say, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Tell this to your masters: 5 With my great power and outstretched arm I made the earth and its people and the animals that are on it, and I give it to anyone I please. 6 Now I will give all your countries into the hands of my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon; I will make even the wild animals subject to him. 7 All nations will serve him and his son and his grandson until the time for his land comes; then many nations and great kings will subjugate him.

8 “‘“If, however, any nation or kingdom will not serve Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon or bow its neck under his yoke, I will punish that nation with the sword, famine and plague, declares the Lord, until I destroy it by his hand. 9 So do not listen to your prophets, your diviners, your interpreters of dreams, your mediums or your sorcerers who tell you, ‘You will not serve the king of Babylon.’ 10 They prophesy lies to you that will only serve to remove you far from your lands; I will banish you and you will perish. 11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the Lord.”’”[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 6:50pm On Nov 06, 2013
rationalmind:

They not only believe it, they try to rationalise it. That's what surprises me the most. Is this incidence not sufficient to open their eyes? No. The person that shouted is at fault, God has better plans, God is good all the time.

Of course this individual is. Any rational person would have to come to this conclusion. Unless, of course they have a irrational predilection to thrashing Christians for their belief in a God.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 6:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:
Are you insinuating that the people who died in this event may not have been ínnocent?

Some of the time. For the other times he isn't, he somehow convinces you it was for a greater purpose.

And what life lesson would this kid or anyone have taken from this? That God pushes people out the window so that he can resurrect them just for fun?

Yeah, right. I know where this is headed.

But if they had survived, we would all bow down and thank God for his faithfulness.

Of course. God doesn't like abortion so he sends his people to destroy such corrupt places.
smh.

The same God says overcome evil with good to his people. Bengance and judgement is mine he says. You blame God for human evil.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: that's because he says he is.
And we've seen his faithfulness. If anything happens out of sorts, then we look to ourselves. Because God is faithful.

Platteon said it all

Platteon: God seems to be the most slippery escape artist
ever known.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: smh.

The same God says overcome evil with good to his people. Bengance and judgement is mine he says. You blame God for human evil.

Of course, it is. Just wait for that voice in your head to tell you when it's time to go take those sinners down. Salvation is of the Lord but he needs you to preach to us. Heaven is real, but you need to preach that us.

You see how MAN is always central to God's plans? wink
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:

Yeah, Bro.

Jeremiah 27
[b]Give them a message for their masters and say, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Tell this to your masters: 5 With my great power and outstretched arm I made the earth and its people and the animals that are on it, and I give it to anyone I please. 6 Now I will give all your countries into the hands of my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon; I will make even the wild animals subject to him. 7 All nations will serve him and his son and his grandson until the time for his land comes; then many nations and great kings will subjugate him.

8 “‘“If, however, any nation or kingdom will not serve Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon or bow its neck under his yoke, I will punish that nation with the sword, famine and plague, declares the Lord, until I destroy it by his hand. 9 So do not listen to your prophets, your diviners, your interpreters of dreams, your mediums or your sorcerers who tell you, ‘You will not serve the king of Babylon.’ 10 They prophesy lies to you that will only serve to remove you far from your lands; I will banish you and you will perish. 11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the Lord.”’”[/b]
how do you expect me to answer you credibly when you carry a verse out of its context and throw it at me?
You won't ask yourself why God made this statement, and to whom he was talking to.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 6:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
rationalmind:

Good is good all the time how now?. . .I visited some very poorly equipped b r e a s t cancer centers in Ghana, Cameroon, Benin Republic and the one located in Abuja with a friend who is doing a documentary for the BBC. . .The suffering and agony I saw there says there is no good god any where. If I had the power to heal all those women I will do so immediately, any human that has the power fo heal them will do so immediately. . .Yet these women keep calling on some imaginary god to help them without any result. . .. christians just keep repeating this annoying mantra all the time. . .God is good how?. . .Because they are alive and doing well, but when you point to others that believe more than them that are going through untold difficulties then they try to use stupid arguments to rationalize it. . .They will even lie to themselves to show you that their imaginary god is good. . . .

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: how do you expect me to answer you credibly when you carry a verse out of its context and throw it at me?
You won't ask yourself why God made this statement, and to whom he was talking to.
The point is God can choose to wreak havoc or show love.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 6:59pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:

Of course, it is. Just wait for that voice in your head to tell you when it's time to go take those sinners down. Salvation is of the Lord but he needs you to preach to us. Heaven is real, but you need to preach that us.

You see how MAN is always central to God's plans? wink
if I hear any voice in my head telling me to kill people, I'll know it isn't God. Jesus has come and gone physically. When God comes next, it'll be to judge the earth. He is in us now, preaching to the world to repent.
God's voice and spirit agrees with his word.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:
The point is God can choose to wreak havoc or show love.

exactly. He can choose to give calamity as a punishment for sin to those he has warned over and over again to repent. In the old testament, the times and ways of judgement were determined by him and set by him.
In this dispensation, the times and period of judgement after the preaching of repentance and the gathering of the repented is revealed to us.
Things are falling into place
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: if I hear any voice in my head telling me to kill people, I'll know it isn't God. Jesus has come and gone physically. When God comes next, it'll be to judge the earth. He is in us now, preaching to the world to repent.
God's voice and spirit agrees with his word.

And how would you know THAT?
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
texanomaly:

Of course this individual is. Any rational person would have to come to this conclusion. Unless, of course they have a irrational predilection to thrashing Christians for their belief in a God.

The individual might not have been there. He could even had died prior to that time.(His death would had been a greater good). He could have had a little illness before then.

Just giving you a list of possibilities God could had done prior to that event. If he can't save his own people who came to worship him despite having the power to do so, he doesn't deserve worship. This is what I expect you to see.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: exactly. He can choose to give calamity as a punishment for sin to those he has warned over and over again to repent.

Ah, my good man, I think I get you now.

SO those Church incident might just be God's calamity. Who knows? Maybe he didn't turn up at the night vigil.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2013
texanomaly:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Charms As Defense Against Gunfire, An Agnostic Viewpoint. / Married And Single, Who Serves God Better, Support Your Points With Biblical Quo / Why Do You Go To Your Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.