Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,926 members, 7,828,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy (5712 Views)

Okotie,the Catholic Church & Our Gross National Lunacy:Fire In Bullshyt Mountain / Nigerian at 53: Jim Iyke, T.B Joshua And Our Gross National Lunacy / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 8:46pm On Nov 06, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, later bro. I'm going to stamford bridge now.
lol. Them go wipe una. grin
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 8:48pm On Nov 06, 2013
Here's a recent post from ola.
I hope it helps @ mazaje.

"If God is a God of love, why hasn’t He dealt with evil?"

"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil" (1 Peter 3:12 The Evidence Bible)

In Dr. Robert Morey’s book The New Atheism and the Erosion of Freedom, he talks with an atheist about this issue. The atheist assumes that everything is relative, and there are no absolutes (he is absolutely sure of that). Morey replies that the first thing an atheist must do is prove the existence of evil. By what process can an atheist identify evil? He must have a universal absolute to do so. Without an absolute reference point for "good" (which only God can provide), no one can identify what is good or evil. Thus without the existence of God, there is no "evil" or "good" in an absolute sense. Everything is relative. The problem of evil does not negate the existence of God. It actually requires it.

Many assume that because evil still exists today, God has not dealt with it. How can atheists assume that God has not already solved the problem of evil in such a way that neither His goodness nor omnipotence is limited? On what grounds do they limit what God can and cannot do to solve the problem? God has already solved the problem of evil. And He did it in a way in which He did not contradict His nature or the nature of man. We assume God will solve the problem of evil in one single act. But why can’t He deal with evil in a progressive way? Can’t He deal with it throughout time as we know it, and then bring it to the climax on the Day of Judgment?

God sent His Son to die on the cross in order to solve the problem of evil. Christ atoned for evil and secured the eventual removal of all evil from the earth. One day evil will be quarantined in one spot called "hell." Then there will be a perfect world devoid of all evil. If God declared that all evil would, at this moment, cease to exist, you and I and all of humanity would go up in a puff of smoke. Divine judgment demands that sin be punished.

https://www.nairaland.com/1507425/god-god-love-why-hasnt
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 8:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
texanomaly:
That was not meant as an insult. I am truly sorry. I was playing around with you. I tend to have a strange sense of humor. Again, I am sorry if I offended you. Please accept my sincere apology.

Hhmm. cry
Your vocabulary and mannerism are pleasant, suspicious,..... and... familiar.
Another case of " the hand of Esau but the voice of Jacob" , perhaps?
grin
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 9:21pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: Here's a recent post from ola.
I hope it helps @ mazaje.

"If God is a God of love, why hasn’t He dealt with evil?"

"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil" (1 Peter 3:12 The Evidence Bible)

In Dr. Robert Morey’s book The New Atheism and the Erosion of Freedom, he talks with an atheist about this issue. The atheist assumes that everything is relative, and there are no absolutes (he is absolutely sure of that). Morey replies that the first thing an atheist must do is prove the existence of evil. By what process can an atheist identify evil? He must have a universal absolute to do so. Without an absolute reference point for "good" (which only God can provide), no one can identify what is good or evil. Thus without the existence of God, there is no "evil" or "good" in an absolute sense. Everything is relative. The problem of evil does not negate the existence of God. It actually requires it.

Many assume that because evil still exists today, God has not dealt with it. How can atheists assume that God has not already solved the problem of evil in such a way that neither His goodness nor omnipotence is limited? On what grounds do they limit what God can and cannot do to solve the problem? God has already solved the problem of evil. And He did it in a way in which He did not contradict His nature or the nature of man. We assume God will solve the problem of evil in one single act. But why can’t He deal with evil in a progressive way? Can’t He deal with it throughout time as we know it, and then bring it to the climax on the Day of Judgment?

God sent His Son to die on the cross in order to solve the problem of evil. Christ atoned for evil and secured the eventual removal of all evil from the earth. One day evil will be quarantined in one spot called "hell." Then there will be a perfect world devoid of all evil. If God declared that all evil would, at this moment, cease to exist, you and I and all of humanity would go up in a puff of smoke. Divine judgment demands that sin be punished.

https://www.nairaland.com/1507425/god-god-love-why-hasnt

God sent his son to die on the cross to solve the problem of evil yet evil exist every where?. . .The writer just went on a rant of how god is needed for moral absolutes and that evil will be dealt with in hell after claiming that god killed himself on the cross to get rid of evil. . .What kind of gibberish is this?. . .

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 9:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
rationalmind:

cheesy No probs sis. I wasn't angry o. Its josh I'm just beefing.
Than you smiley
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 9:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
mazaje:

God sent his son to die on the cross to solve the problem of evil yet evil exist every where?. . .The writer just went on a rant of how good is needed for oral absolutes and that evil will be dealt with in hell after claiming that god killed himself on the cross to get rid of evil. . .What kind of gibberish is this?. . .

I wonder too.

Jesus died for our sins, yet sin triumphs, and god is still pissed off.
Now , we have to wait till the end of the world for sin and evil to be finally defeated.
But meanwhile, witches , wizards, demons and spirits still torment christians.

And the kicker is that, well, if you want to save yourself from the devourer, you must pay god a protection fee of 10% of your earnings.
Very convenient indeed.

Do I smell a rat?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:

Hhmm. cry
Your vocabulary and mannerism are pleasant, suspicious,..... and... familiar.
Another case of " the hand of Esau but the voice of Jacob" , perhaps?
grin

Jesoul!!!
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: so that's your reply?
After reading what I said that's your reply?

We're back at the beginning. I might as well repost what I said. This shows you're not even listening to me.
Oh well.
lol..is that the only quote you saw?? I've modified it, now go my quotes on your post and defend what you said...
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 9:30pm On Nov 06, 2013
@ plaetton and Rationalnind

More pick and choose, don't pay attention to the rest.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by plaetton: 9:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
texanomaly: @ plaetan and Rationalnind

There are far too many absurdities tied to religous faith.
We are merely highlighting the very obvious ones.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 9:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:

There are far too many absurdities tied to religous faith.
We are merely highlighting the very obvious ones.

With guys like Obadiah777 around, I have to agree with you. (Sorry Duece. wink It had to be said)
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:
Might be down to genetics. Maybe our forefathers sold the brilliant ones and left the dullards back home. grin grin

Calm down, Bro. No get heart attack o. Let's just hope NL continues to accommodate us. It's the only 'safe' medium we have for now.

I have been quite vocal about my scepticism!! Why do you guys always make it sound like if you say you are irreligious in naija,peopple go stone you
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 10:17pm On Nov 06, 2013
plaetton:

I wonder too.

Jesus died for our sins, yet sin triumphs, and god is still pissed off.
Now , we have to wait till the end of the world for sin and evil to be finally defeated.
But meanwhile, witches , wizards, demons and spirits still torment christians.

And the kicker is that, well, if you want to save yourself from the devourer, you must pay god a protection fee of 10% of your earnings.
Very convenient indeed.

Do I smell a rat?

Jesus died to get rid of evil as he said, but evil still exists and evil will be dealt with in hell. Did Jesus die to end sin in the world or in hell. ..Do these guys really think through the nonsense they write at all?. . . . .
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by seekingtruth(m): 10:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
chukwudi44: Mr Atheist first and foremost Very Rev Fr Mbaka was not the priest involved and he is definitely not a fraudster get your facts right.Secondary the stampede was caused by chants of fire which sent panic among the tens of thousands making people to run for cover and in the process tample on others.The same thing could have happened even if it occured in broad daylight or a secular gathering.if you don't believe in God allow those who do to worship him in the way it pleases them.

The event was just a tragic accident,I only resent the politicisation by desperadoes.
A tragic accident in the presence of a perfect god, hmm?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by seekingtruth(m): 10:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
aManFromMars:

If they had not prayed and done all that worshipping, things would have been much worse. The fact that this country is still one is testament to God's goodness and mercies. cool cool

who prayed for the country to be amalgamated?
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
Joshthefirst: lol. Them go wipe una. grin

grin better luck next time.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mmsen: 10:39pm On Nov 06, 2013
In spite of the silly addendums from the Xtians it's nice to see Nigerians with their eyes open.

I too have heard some very stupid things about mythical beings etc whilst in Nigeria as per mazaje's comment. I had a particularly disheartening conversation with an elderly Cambridge graduate about witches. But I've also spoken to younger people who are wide awake and quick to call out the bullshit.

If those in charge of churches etc set a good example of sorts, taught modesty, prudence and community, believer or not, I would commend them. Sadly they set the worst example. They refuse to follow in the foot steps of their fairy tale hero and instead chase material goods and preach about the chase for material things.

The sooner we do away with all of these churches (of which there are far too many in Nigeria) the sooner that people will begin to focus on long term, tangible benefits.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 2:27am On Nov 07, 2013
This is a post borne out of illogic. The problem has nothing to do with God but to do with the general attitude of Nigerians to order. There are far bigger populated events everywhere else in the world, they dont die in stampedes.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by peterphd(m): 7:59am On Nov 07, 2013
davidylan: This is a post borne out of illogic. The problem has nothing to do with God but to do with the general attitude of Nigerians to order. There are far bigger populated events everywhere else in the world, they dont die in stampedes.

Don't dodge.The Op is just asking why god didn't save his people if he's real

1 Like

Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 9:37am On Nov 07, 2013
texanomaly: @ plaetton and Rationalnind and mazaje

thank you very much for saying what I wanted to say. He probably didn't even read the whole writeup. Just made ill-concieved conclusions.

Gods salvation and solving of the problem is only available for those who trust him.

If you reject his salvation, then you will pay the full penalty for your sins. And you too will be cordoned off in hell at the end.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by nnofaith: 11:51am On Nov 07, 2013
Joshthefirst: thank you very much for saying what I wanted to say. He probably didn't even read the whole writeup. Just made ill-concieved conclusions.

Gods salvation and solving of the problem is only available for those who trust him.

If you reject his salvation, then you will pay the full penalty for your sins. And you too will be cordoned off in hell at the end.
I guess the pple that died in the Anambra vigil did not trust the lord then! smh
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2013
nnofaith: I guess the pple that died in the Anambra vigil did not trust the lord then! smh

Josh is a great guy but sometimes he writes insensitive things!!!

If he had lost someone in that tragedy,I am sure he wouldn't even insinuate that the people died because of their sin.

Remember the blind man Jesus healed,when Jesus was asked if he was blind because of his parents' sin? What was Jesus' answer?

Bad things happen to even the most devout christians
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 12:49pm On Nov 07, 2013
nnofaith: I guess the pple that died in the Anambra vigil did not trust the lord then! smh
mazaje at least partly understands why I made that post. It was in reply to what he said earlier. So stop making hasty conclusions.

GeneralShepherd:

Josh is a great guy but sometimes he writes insensitive things!!!

If he had lost someone in that tragedy,I am sure he wouldn't even insinuate that the people died because of their sin.

Remember the blind man Jesus healed,when Jesus was asked if he was blind because of his parents' sin? What was Jesus' answer?

Bad things happen to even the most devout christians
I never said bad things don't happen to christians. Stop making hasty conclusions. The post was adressed to mazaje. He understands the flow of conversation.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 12:50pm On Nov 07, 2013
Joshthefirst: thank you very much for saying what I wanted to say. He probably didn't even read the whole writeup. Just made ill-concieved conclusions.

Josh, I realize you are passionate about your faith. I love your enthusiasm. In future please don't take it upon yourself to modify my posts. Not cool at all. Thanks.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2013
Joshthefirst:

I never said bad things don't happen to christians. Stop making hasty conclusions. The post was adressed to mazaje. He understands the flow of conversation.
Goot goot. So the Op's question is when bad things happen to Christians, shouldn't we blame God?
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by texanomaly(f): 12:56pm On Nov 07, 2013
aManFromMars:
Goot goot. So the Op's question is when bad things happen to Christians, shouldn't we blame God?
I've already answered that question somewhere in this thread. I think more than once.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
texanomaly:
I've already answered that question somewhere in this thread. I think more than once.

lipsrsealed I didn't see.

Let me go through again.
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Joshthefirst(m): 12:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
texanomaly:
Josh, I realize you are passionate about your faith. I love your enthusiasm. In future please don't take it upon yourself to modify my posts. Not cool at all. Thanks.
sorry ma'am
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by mazaje(m): 6:44pm On Nov 07, 2013
Joshthefirst: mazaje at least partly understands why I made that post. It was in reply to what he said earlier. So stop making hasty conclusions.

I really do not understand the explanation you gave, what exactly is the message in there?. . .That Jesus died so that evil will be dealt with in hell?. . .That was exactly what the writer wrote. . .
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Nobody: 5:17am On Nov 08, 2013
peterphd:

Don't dodge.The Op is just asking why god didn't save his people if he's real

dodging what? I am not obligated to tell you anything... i am only here to watch and enjoy.

Back to your non-questions... and we know these folks are God's people because they shout the loudest? And it is God's prerogative to save those who choose not to do the right thing?
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by nnofaith: 7:51am On Nov 08, 2013
davidylan:

dodging what? I am not obligated to tell you anything... i am only here to watch and enjoy.

Back to your non-questions... and we know these folks are God's people because they shout the loudest? And it is God's prerogative to save those who choose not to do the right thing?
your humanity has ......
Re: Anambra Tragedy: God And Our Gross National Lunacy by Femmymata2(m): 7:58am On Nov 08, 2013
When calamity befalls people in their worship places e.g xmas bombing,deeper life massacre which occured while they were praying.... I ask myself why couldn't the holy spirit,jesus,God,the saints avert or warn is worshippers of impending danger. At least a Real good God should be able to protect his/her worshippers from mere men,gun,fire,storm e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Married And Single, Who Serves God Better, Support Your Points With Biblical Quo / Why Do You Go To Your Church? / TB Joshua: It Takes Insanity To Deny This Resemblance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.