Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,279 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Your Motive For Paying Tithe - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your Motive For Paying Tithe (10929 Views)

The Olodo Guide To Paying Tithe / What Is Your Motive For Going To Church? / Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by sweetestguy(m): 2:35pm On Nov 10, 2013
Look at most of dis multi millionaires, musicians businessmen,top bankers,celebrities, most of dem dnt even knw wat tithe means,yet they are prosperin

1 Like

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by PastorKun(m): 2:42pm On Nov 10, 2013
gold_dealer: If you believe in paying tithe, do you have any motive for paying or just following the biblical instruction. Also
1. Do you attach any request from God or you just believe the blessing therein will be yours by faith
2. Do you make it up if you did not pay any previous month.

P.S. - Tithe paying believer comments ONLY. Thanks

I think it would be better to rephrase your OP, rather the question should be: Is a christian supposed to pay tithe?

3 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by paix(m): 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2013
Crotalus: Whether you pay or not is of little consequence in the long run. Your life will not be any different. What is yours will come to you. The things that are not yours you will never get even if you pay 90% of your income. And please you are not "giving money to God," or "sowing a seed." Don't be a fool.
What about the BLESSINGS that should go with what you think is yours?
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by go4value(m): 2:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
What tithe is to man.........is what praise is to GOD

am a tither 4 life.....am not complaining
#Team Tithers

3 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by CosmicJames(m): 3:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
I pay it in obedience to God's word. No motive @ all.

1 Like

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Aweezie(m): 3:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
I pay my tithe regularly..it could even be more than 10%(even up to 100%). It is one of the commandments that comes with a promise from God. The rewards are real!!!
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by LEXYCOM: 3:25pm On Nov 10, 2013
Malachi 3 vs 10......
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by stankezzy: 3:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
tpacalipse: I believed in it and I paid before. Then I stopped believing in it and refused to pay. Guess what? I have never seen any changes in anything. I progress gradually just as it used to be when I was paying. Though I still pay some kinds of money in church these days, even sometimes if what I pay is 10 percent of my income, I will never call it tithe.

As for the motive? Look at it this way; I attend my church every time I have to be there and these are the things I enjoy:
1. The church runs on generator for power all the times, and this cost money.
2. It costs money to get the church premises cleaned all the time.
3. It costs money to maintain a lot of gadgets in the church
4. It costs money to pay salaries to those who work at the church, e.g. the guy who plays the keyboard and the priests.
5. It costs money to do a little charity work.

These are my motives for paying some money at church.

Now, I do not see my God as a money doubler!

do not decieve others;if u do nt want to be paying tithe.that is up to u.WHY IS IT THAT CHRISTIANS ND NON CHRISTIAN DT DO NT PAY TITHE ARE BENT ON DISCOURAGING PEOPLE THAT PAY,Even when it does nt concern dem nd their money is nt used.answer -because devil knows dt there are little tins dt can send one to hell.GOD CLEARLY SAYS IN D BIBBLE ,IF U DO NT DO IT U ARE RUBBEING ME OR U ARE STEALING FROM ME.i do nt think it sounds loggical nd right for we to have hope of makeing heaven when we continously robb or steal from d owner of heaven.IF NA U ,U GO ALLOW D PERSON INN?
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by zidex: 3:35pm On Nov 10, 2013
If you call ur self a true born again child of God living and being directed by de spirit of Christ in you, you won't be asking dis question. Well if you must know tithing is a commandment from God dat with blessings when you pay nd a cause when you don't pay. Tithe belongs to God. It is not urs nd so it is not a seed, offering, or free will donation. Mal.3:8-12 unequivocally stated dat if you don't pay tithe (1/10) of everythin you earn, you are a THIEF or even worse a ROBBER. Remenber all thieves nd robbers have there place in HELL? BE WARNED!! LET THAT HAVE EARS HEAR WHAT THE SPIRIT OF GOD IS SAYING. Finally it's ur choice to choose blessings or causes. God said "I have set before you this day Life and death, blessings and causes, but choose life so dat thou nd thy seed may live" GOD BLESS YOU ALL

2 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Yemsking: 3:36pm On Nov 10, 2013
A xtian is a person dt follows n believes d teaching of Christ.They are people dt live in d era of grace n nt under law.All thru Jesus teachings he only mentioned tithe ones(Matt 23:23) He talked abt offerring,giving to d poor,giving alms n He even practised them.He talked abt Tax He paid also,bt not ones did he pay tithe neither did His disciples nor apostle Paul paid also.He stress giving to d poor n d needed(Matt 19:21,25:35 etc) n to d growth of Gods Kingdom.
Brethren,if tithe could b what we teach today do u think Jesus wl only mentioned it ones n nor of His disciples n Paul wl nt write abt it?He mentioned n pratised Love,Faith n Justice time n again...these are d weightier matters of law(Mat 23:23)...think abt these things.

1 Like

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Damojo: 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2013
liyalla: What other motive than in obedient to God' word. If U say U are a christian its nt a pastor' preaching dat makes U pay tithe. "Shall a man rub God?..."

Rub kor, aboniki ni.

Better go n buy 'Brighter Grammar'

1 Like

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2013
i can't rob God of his share.it's just 1/10th.i am proud to b a tither nd i tank God 4 d grace.wen i get my money,i first remove my tithe.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by PastorKun(m): 3:48pm On Nov 10, 2013
It is quite evident from scriptures that the type of tithes preached and practised in churches today is totally different from what is instructed in the bible. The church definition of tithes today was derived from twisting scriptures and this is clearly a sin before God. The passage below is a passage most pastors don't want their congregation to see because it seriously contradicts the church's definition of tithes. You may choose to read it and make your own conclusions.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

9 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by jummieid(f): 3:52pm On Nov 10, 2013
I am of the opinion that every true believer, who knows the word of God on tithing should obey,and not be bothered about how such money is spent. Leave the pastor to do as he wants,and face the consequences. Just make sure you are not robbing God.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by PastorKun(m): 3:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
jummie_id: I am of the opinion that every true believer, who knows the word of God on tithing should obey,and not be bothered about how such money is spent. Leave the pastor to do as he wants,and face the consequences. Just make sure you are not robbing God.

In the first instance biblical tithe is NOT money, pastors requesting for money as God's tithe are teaching contrary to the will of God.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by obillyj(f): 4:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
Because of (1) Malachi 3: 8 - 12

(2) the place that said something like it's not wrong for the ministers to receive our material gifts after they must have sown spiritual gifts in us.( in d scripture but don't remember which book)

(3) for myself because of II Chronicles 20 : 20

(4) because the scripture says so.

(5) because 10% out of 100% is not a big deal compared to what i will gain in return.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Celepope: 4:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
Pastor Kun:

In the first instance biblical tithe is NOT money, pastors requesting for money as God's tithe are teaching contrary to the will of God.
Hey Mr man use your head properly and stop deceiving others.Going by your comment if you are a banker or Civil servant and not a Farmer or Fisherman what do you present to God as your tithe?You better stop your irrelevant campaign on NL before God strike you with an incurable disease.Leave those who believe in titheing to continue and you focus on your own relationship with God and stop using this forum to propagate your devilish deceit.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Larrey(f): 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2013
Am paying tithes cos of what have read in malachi chap 3 vs 10-12,am always happy when ever am paying it.GOD Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ wonderful.love you jesus
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
Please keep paying your tithes o.

Your pastor's private jet sitting in a private hanger isn't going to maintain itself wink wink

Also keep paying your tithes because very soon your pastor's status will rise and he will be able to testify of the goodness of God in changing his levels.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by kgr8mike(m): 6:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
My Father's business is my business.... My motive is that there may be meat in my Father's house. I and my Father are one. There is nothing I have that is my own- all are my Father's and my Father's are mine.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Congratulation: 6:29pm On Nov 10, 2013
Titht is an old law n shld nt be practice by new testament churches
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by chyket(m): 6:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
I pay tithe not because of any legalistic reason but because I want God to always be part of my financial affairs.

1 Like

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
Because every 10th of my income belongs to God. Blessings I personally have received from paying tithes is unbelievable.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by PastorKun(m): 7:27pm On Nov 10, 2013
Cele-pope:

Hey Mr man use your head properly and stop deceiving others.Going by your comment if you are a banker or Civil servant and not a Farmer or Fisherman what do you present to God as your tithe?You better stop your irrelevant campaign on NL before God strike you with an incurable disease.Leave those who believe in titheing to continue and you focus on your own relationship with God and stop using this forum to propagate your devilish deceit.

So how does all the rubbish you wrote here justify twisting God's word to justify monetary tithe from income If God required tithe of monetary income it would have been clearly stated so in scriptures. What we have today is men adding to scriptures to justify this fraudulent tithe doctrine.

3 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:51pm On Nov 10, 2013
The main purpose of tithes and offerings is to bring food into the house of God and the Lord promises to bless any individual abundantly who does that
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by joe4christ(m): 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
I was once a committed tither, but my eyes later seen ''we'en'' now i dont, and i've never been so blessed and favoured.
Ironically i see lots of people who do tithe faithfully living in financial hardship, that actually prompted me to have a second look at the subject, and discovered it is a scam...

4 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by smart134: 8:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
guy tit is vry important...is another way to yield bigger..tru God
Note: u must give wit ur hrt..! Or ur jst wastin ur tym
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by mbulela: 8:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
How often will this topic be discussed?
It seems there is one new tithe topic every week regurgitating the same semantics every time.
Give it a rest guys/gals. There are other undiscussed issues.
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by biomedixexcel(m): 8:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
I pay it without bothering to request anything cos God has already established his covenant with the tithers through His word in the Bible
Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by DrummaBoy(m): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2013
gold_dealer: If you believe in paying tithe, do you have any motive for paying or just following the biblical instruction. Also
1. Do you attach any request from God or you just believe the blessing therein will be yours by faith
2. Do you make it up if you did not pay any previous month.

P.S. - Tithe paying believer comments ONLY. Thanks

Best response so far:

tpacalipse: I believed in it and I paid before. Then I stopped believing in it and refused to pay. Guess what? I have never seen any changes in anything. I progress gradually just as it used to be when I was paying. Though I still pay some kinds of money in church these days, even sometimes if what I pay is 10 percent of my income, I will never call it tithe.

As for the motive? Look at it this way; I attend my church every time I have to be there and these are the things I enjoy:
1. The church runs on generator for power all the times, and this cost money.
2. It costs money to get the church premises cleaned all the time.
3. It costs money to maintain a lot of gadgets in the church
4. It costs money to pay salaries to those who work at the church, e.g. the guy who plays the keyboard and the priests.
5. It costs money to do a little charity work.

These are my motives for paying some money at church.

Now, I do not see my God as a money doubler!

Second "best" response so far:

joe4christ: I was once a committed tither, but my eyes later seen ''we'en'' now i dont, and i've never been so blessed and favoured.
Ironically i see lots of people who do tithe faithfully living in financial hardship, that actually prompted me to have a second look at the subject, and discovered it is a scam...

Worst response:

Cele-pope:

My response:

Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by DrummaBoy(m): 9:11pm On Nov 10, 2013
[size=16pt]A Q & A SESSION ON TITHING[/size]

Q: Good day. Your article “I Cannot Afford to be a Christians” (http://www.yesufu..com/2013/09/i-cannot-afford-to-be-christian.html) has generated some controversies. Can we say from that article that you are asking Christians to no longer give a tithe of their income to their local churches?

A: No.

Q: So what were you trying to say, in summary, from that article?

A: That article is simply an evangelistic message to non-Christians to reconsider the gospel of Jesus again. I was saying in that article that salvation is fully paid for by God for all men and to partake of it we are called to believe in Christ; Only. Now, as an addendum to the whole discourse, I brought in the issue of tithing; showing that tithing is one example, among others, in which modern organized churches have succeeded in discrediting this free salvation of Jesus; giving the impression that one is not a good Christian except the individual pays a tithe of his income. My grouse is with the word “pay”.

Q: So you are saying that Christians must not be asked to pay tithe, although they could give their tithe?

A: Exactly.

Q: Is there is difference between the word pay and give?

A: Plenty. The word pay denotes fulfilling an obligation; or meeting a prescribed requirement; or attaining the demands of a law. The word give denotes free will: a freedom to do as one purposes in one heart. The Old Testament clearly shows that the law required the children of Israel to pay tithe to the Levithical order (Numbers 18:21). The New Testament does not teach anywhere that Christians must pay tithes and offering. The scriptures show clearly that giving in the New Testament is simply free will and not obligatory or by necessity (1 Corinthians 9:7).

Q: How then did the concept of paying tithes and giving offering come into the church?

A: It came from a wrong interpretation and application of biblical truths. Most Christians today, following Paul’s revelation, accept that the laws of Moses has been abolished in the New Testament (Hebrew 7:12, 2 Corinthians 3:7, Galatians 3:24-27); they agree that Christians are not to pay tithes according to Moses’ injunction but they insist that we must follow the example of Abraham, who is the father of our faith, when he gave a tenth of the war spoils to Melchizedek. They say that Melchizedek is a type of Christ and for Abraham to give tithes to Melchizedek, Jesus is Melchizedek and we should give tithes to Christ through the church he has ordained on earth.

Q: But that makes perfect sense. So what do you have against Abraham’s tithing and the call for Christians to imitate him by tithing too?

A: Now let's understand the main issue at hand here. The wrong interpretation and application of biblical truth that I mentioned above is the fact that in regards to tithing, the church uses Abraham as an example on one hand but calls believers to tithe according to the law of Moses, on the other hand. When ministers ask people to tithe they use the Malachi 3:8-10 scripture to cajole people to pay their tithes or a curse will come on them, forgetting quickly that there would never had been a Malachi 3 if there had not been a Leviticus 27 and Numbers 18. I am saying in effect we cannot say we are not under Moses’ laws but resort to Moses laws to lay justification to a doctrine and practice in the church. If we must follow Abraham’s example, we must tithe as Abraham tithed; but if we must follow Moses’ law, we must obey the law to the letter and not just take one law out of the 613 laws God gave Israel through Moses, and leave the rest (Galatians 5:3; James 2:10) .

And in addition to this if we were to follow Abraham example by imitating everything he did: Christians will go to war; Christians will sleep with their house maids; Christians will circumcise their children on the eight day; Chrisitians will lie; etc. It is Abraham's faith in God that brought about his justification (Genesis 15:6) we are called to imitate and not every minute detail of his life (Galatians 3:6-9).

Q: But you still have not answered the question I asked: Why should Christian not tithe like their father in the faith, Abraham, did.

A: To understand Abraham’s tithing, we must resort to two scriptures: Genesis 14 and Hebrew 7. The first thing we see from that scripture is that Abram, not yet Abraham at that time, gave a tithe and not pay a tithe to Melchizedek. So if Christians must tithe following Abram’s example, it must be free will giving and not obligatory payment. Also, we see that Abram did not give this tithe to curry a blessing from Melchizedek, as we are made to believe when we are told to tithe so as to open the heavens over our finances, according to Malachi 3. Rather he gave a tithe after he had been blessed by Melchizedek (Genesis 14:20). So his giving was a kind of thanksgiving offering or gratitude – the same way Christians can come forward to thank God for a deliverance, blessing or safety with an offering. Thus, rather than being an obligatory paying, we see this as an example of free will offering of thanksgiving. Abram, in this story, gave a tithe of war spoils. It is nowhere recorded that he gave a tithe of his possessions to Melchizedek; even though he made reference to his wealth in that passage of scriptures (v.22- 23). We see from this example that Abraham’s tithing was a once-for-all event; and not a weekly or monthly duty. Now, other translations of scripture, other than the KJV, translated the word “tithe” in v.20 as tenth. This they did not because the two words differ but to distinguish this particular tithe or tenth from the religious tithe or tenth that God will require of Israel to give to the Levites under Moses later (Leviticus 27, Number 18). Many bible scholars, including those who agree and disagree with tithing today, accept that what Abraham did was in keeping with the custom of that age: were Kings and Priests were given ten percent of spoils obtained from the war front. Abraham was simply following an established custom and thus the tithe he gave here cannot be seen as a religious tithe (like we would find under Moses) but a customary tithe. Christians do not go to war today; and even if they did and obtained war spoils, we see from Scriptures that God either regarded war spoils as an abomination (Joshua 6:17-18) or gave specific instructions in regards to how to use them (Joshua 6:19; Numbers 31:25-30). God has never demanded a tithe from war spoils.

For the conclusion of the Q and A session see http://www.yesufu..com/2013/09/q-session-on-tithing_12.html

2 Likes

Re: Your Motive For Paying Tithe by Candour(m): 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
joe4christ: I was once a committed tither, but my eyes later seen ''we'en'' now i dont, and i've never been so blessed and favoured.

Is this the same joe4christ grin

Thank God for you o and may he continually bless and enrich you as you serve him in true liberty of spirit and purpose.

God bless and keep you operating in the light of the truth of his word. Amen

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Your Church's Theme (year Of) For 2024? / Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) / Nairalanders Incurring God's Wrath By Abusing God's Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.