Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,133 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. (22693 Views)

Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / Immigrating (relocating From Nigeria To U.S.A: Whats The Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by niceeric(m): 9:57am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

If you dont have advice to give then relax my friend. but we both can agree that there are very little opportunities in Nigeria.
since you know all of that and you're not ready to learn or answer questions that might b of help to u,why waste precious caring Nairalanders time with this thread.....chill wherever u are I beg and try taking psych lessons that would make u forget Nigeria for good....
PS:One citizen gone,many others still dey
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by zoedicus: 10:06am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall: I want to relocate back to Nigeria from the United States and I just have some questions.

1) is this advisable to move from the U.S back to Nigeria?

2) are there any job opportunities available that one can make a comfortable living from?

3)what are the road and traffic conditions in Nigeria now days?

4) and has police harassment and political corruptions reduced? thanks.

1. unless somebody is trying to use jaz to draw u, or
2. u already made it big and wanna come home to establish, or
3. u are old and want to die here @ home undecided
4. u are there unlawfully. . .

STAY PUT grin grin grin
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Allohrandy(m): 10:06am On Dec 10, 2013
greggng: If I ve ur opportunity I won't dream about relocating. If your family re not well to do and connected you will end up scaming and police will become ur friend by force. To be honest with you armed robbers drove me to a place considered secured but you ve to pay heavily for security charges monthly. Today I asked after a guy I finished nysc with and to my greatest surprise he is being held by efcc in abuja for scam related offense. I was told that this guy has being there for 2months cos he doesn't ve the 500k plus a surety on grade level 14. Ask me his offense he scamed a white person an ordinary phone that is not upto 30k in the market. The truth remains nigeria is a land of frustration .
My bro, No country in this world is perfect. Yesterday, A man in America was freed from prison after spending 25 years in jail for a crime he didnt commit. Learn to appreciate the little you have because there are people worse than you. There are people making it in Nigeria just like their are people making it in America . Don't get frustrated and don't give up because you can make it too

1 Like

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Boss13: 10:07am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

If you dont have advice to give then relax my friend. but we both can agree that there are very little opportunities in Nigeria.

Chief you are not even in the country and you are already assuming that there is little opportunities. You have already made your conclusion. I just wonder why you are bothering yourself. Remain in America, you don't need nor deserve our advice.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by hardbody: 10:08am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall: I want to relocate back to Nigeria from the United States and I just have some questions.

2) are there any job opportunities available that one can make a comfortable living from?

Without caring to read other posts here on this thread, i want to say that similar questions have been severally asked and suggestions proffered in this forum, severally. Eventually the choice as always will be yours to make. I suspect that these questions are teasers to trigger arguments as to why the US or Nigeria is a better place. At the end, we quarrel, argue, abuse, insult and e-fight each other.
As for your questions, call one of your family members or friends to ask and make at least one trip back to Nigeria and then make up your mind. Enough said.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by hardbody: 10:21am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Yes I actually do Knowitall my friend. I just want to see how much other people know.

Now i know you are trully an 'American'

All bragado and no brains. Please keep off Nigeria, we need less of your type here. Imp. Imagine the audacity!!!
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 10:34am On Dec 10, 2013

When was the last time you visited Naija?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 10:47am On Dec 10, 2013
36STATES: Be very careful, that is all I can say. I don't know how long you have been overseas, but the longer the harder. I burnt more than 28 million naira in Nigeria last year and had to run back to my base. Nigeria is a very harsh environment full of dubios people calling themselves born again. If you go on OXL.com, you will see where I have advitised most of the equipment I bought for my busines which NEPA, Fashola and criminals never gave a chance.

28 million is a lot. What where you trying to accomplish?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 11:26am On Dec 10, 2013
femmyb: America is totally overrated, most Nigerians living there will relocate in an heartbeat if not because of shame of not having much to show for all the donkey years living in the so called Gods own country.

Overrated? Not when one can make $500,000/yr as a professional, and with the basic necessities of life available. Not all of us are planning to relocate like the op.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by LajaLaba: 11:45am On Dec 10, 2013
Samsonklin: idiot, slowpoke, goat, fool, animal, fowl, idiot, idiot, ode, didirin, okponu, attention seeker
Why all this?this is a rant of a village one...Niaje?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Originalsly: 12:06pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I actually pack very well thank you. But am a little perplexed by your comment though. How did you come to the conclusion

that i have a bad mouth?
This would be your biggest problem....bad mouth....a wahala generator. If you knew you had bad mouth then you would be able to control it...but you don't know. I really don't believe you are serious about relocating but ... minus the bad mouth ...I do feel that someone like you can be successful in Nigeria....more successful than you are in the US. If mistaken...you are a skilled person... one being good at auto mechanics (source....Car Talk)...and the demand is extremely great in Nigeria for good mechanics. My advice to you would be to go spend some time...assess the situation...location..get in the mindset of the people...do lots of footwork to find out costs and availability before even buying a suitcase.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by engrhorla(m): 12:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
Big4wig: See all dis jamb Questions like as if u were not in Nigeria b4..mtshww.
U dey mind am. Mayb he no get internet whr he dey. Even prison 4 US get TV. Na joblez guys dey answer am...mtchewwww
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by pickabeau1: 12:25pm On Dec 10, 2013
Excellent post!

dbamiro@yahoo.com:
Better still, let me post it here unless you want to read my other blogs

Dont Come home to Nigeria if....

Like I said in my earlier blog:

"I have always laughed at foreign companies who come and set up shop in Nigeria and feel they can muscle in somehow just because they have access to money. This has always been similar to the returnees to Nigeria who come with a few thousand dollars and feel they are kings. They ship a long used car or sort of new car with flood insurance and maybe furniture they got very cheap and somehow begin to bother all of us struggling people in Nigeria with questions like "Whats going on in Nigeria?" or "So, guys, I am back! How do we make money in Nigeria?". Sometimes I wonder if they think we have all been sitting around waiting for them to bring the dollars home! Whats pitiful is that, One year down the road, they are completely as normal as we are, still telling stories of where they used to live in New York or wherever. Dont get me wrong, I dont resent them. I just wish they were better prepared to come home!"

My 10 point advice is simple and outlined below:

a) Dont come home if you have not invested Five trips to and from Nigeria at a minimum.
b) Dont come home if you cant be a facilitator of technology transfer. Bring home an idea and make it work in Nigeria before you come!
c) Dont come home if you dont have a bank account in Nigeria that is receiving inflow from whatever you are doing in Nigeria
d) Dont come home if you are not yet sending whatever it is you plan to sell in Nigeria home and someone is paying the proceeds in your account and you are logging in everyday with your internet banking and checking your deposits!
e) Dont come home if you havent signed an offer letter from your intended employers. Sign first, do the first month of work, as for 1 week leave to take care of some personal issues, take the very next available flight, arrive next day, close up shop for 3 days, do a hurried send off party and get the hell out of there!
f) Dont come home with promises from Uncles and Aunties who are in positions of power in Nigeria. Its just not bankable!
g) Dont come home if you have any lies of a big job you have been doing abroad! Nigerians are now well educated even in international matters! Your knowledge will surely be tested! Dont be discgraced. Too many people have been hired in Nigeria only to be let go 6 months later cos they are not as good as they are on paper!
h) Dont come home based on comparison with your mates! You are most likely coming to start at the bottom of the ladder. What did you think your mates were doing suffering all this while in Nigeria? Most of the time, you cannot match up with their spending style, living expenses and assets they have acquired over the same period of time! You are probably paying a mortgage and they are not!
i) Dont come home if you have not clearly identified a Plan B, assuming that your Plan A fails!
j) Most importantly again, dont come home if you have not invested time and presence in Nigeria over a minimum of 6 months! You must come and go and ensure you know 50% of what you want to come and do in Nigeria!

I daresay you can also apply this to a company that wishes to come and do business in Nigeria. I will talk about the laws of Nigeria in a separate post. One key thing that stands out with businesses that have survived in Nigeria - they have demonstrated they understand Nigeria.
Like I said before, there are some Nigerians I regard as "visitors in Nigeria with Nigerian passports". What can be worse than that.
I will leave this topic to reactions from readers rather than explain each point.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by notinmege: 1:09pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I actually pack very well thank you. But am a little perplexed by your comment though. How did you come to the conclusion

that i have a bad mouth?

Not only bad mouth, but running, mouth, running, nose and running stomach.
You better take his advise because Nigeria is changing for better and as such need re-branded-and-refined-beings
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by GOnDIE1: 1:14pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

that i have a bad mouth?

Not only bad mouth, but running mouth, running nose and running stomach.
Better take his advise cos Nigeria is changing for better and as such need re-branded-and-refined-beings
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
Naijamericana:

Overrated? Not when one can make $500,000/yr as a professional, and with the basic necessities of life available. Not all of us are planning to relocate like the op.
$500,000/yr my foot, even native born professionals don't make such money, talkless of immigrants. Maybe you mean 500,000 Naira, less than 0.5% of Americans have such income. Tell that tall tale to folks that have never travelled before.

1 Like

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by GOnDIE1: 1:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
Bad Mouth?

Not only bad mouth, but running, mouth, running, nose and running stomach.
You better take his advise because Nigeria is changing for better and as such need re-branded-and-refined-beings
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 10, 2013
Naijamericana:

Haba!!! Bros you can lie ooo... Which Profession be that? shocked shocked shocked

I will not lie again... Repeat after me... I will not lie again. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by GOnDIE1: 1:31pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

that i have a bad mouth?
. Not just bad mouth, but running mouth, running nose and running stomach. Please Nigeria is changing for better and needs rebranded and refined beings only.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by xavier047: 1:42pm On Dec 10, 2013
Seriously Seriously Seriously !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now we are all oblivious to how your lifestyle is over there and as such can't really say if Naija is a fantastic place to relocate from GOD'S OWN COUNTRY (don't mind the caps), maybe you are living in a pigsty called "No-Where-in-USA" or you are malnourished like the somalians or rather with no hope that things can get better.
If you don't have the goodies all laid down in naija, then your few hard earned dollars will help feed some sharp guy around corner. Advice is dream and spin your ideas in a country where it can grow and be supported by an economy that is vibrant and healthy. I guess you don't need me to tell you the country
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by MrKnowitall: 2:55pm On Dec 10, 2013
Dre19: me i be yankee boy too oh...i get the full swag of 9ja.. dont talk shit about ma motherland nigga! There is no place like home!!!

you be yankee boy? I doubt it my friend.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by obyikye(f): 5:07pm On Dec 10, 2013
1000 likes
this made me laugh my heart out. those replying didnt bother to check his username.
bxcode: But what's your reason for relocating in the first place, if at all you are in the US undecided undecided undecided
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by seegobe(m): 7:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
here is ur reply for all your questions.....kindly ask google..cos no one in naija can give u d real answer u need..
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 7:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
rudedough:

Haba!!! Bros you can lie ooo... Which Profession be that? shocked shocked shocked

Board Certified Anesthesiologist with 7 years of private practice experience...Bros
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 7:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
rudedough:

Starting compensation for new anesthesiologist graduate - $250,000 - $300,000
Highest compensation that I know of - $5,000,000.00 (5 million)
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 7:32pm On Dec 10, 2013
Naijamericana:

Starting compensation for new anesthesiologist graduate - $250,000 - $300,000
Highest compensation possible for an anesthesiologist with surgical center ownership - $5,000,000.00 (5 million)
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 7:33pm On Dec 10, 2013
It's possible to make it in the USA, you don't have to move back to Naija. A friend of mine, also a physician just purchased a 2013 Bentley GT coupe.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by PaulSteve: 7:52pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mamacita007:

abeg shift. you claim that you wanna relocate to naija but you're here saying that life is too precious to be spent there as if you dont u have family in naija living well
Now you know whether to come back or not..
We down here are putting up with more than this..
Everyday power fluctuates,no portable water,no work,ASUU is on strike,PDP vs APC,BH attacks on news,kidnappers,...and u keep hearing how someone has stolen billions of naira from public treasury and committees set up to investigate,..
In fact,you'll have to learn to tell a thousand pple 'Abeg shift' for u to get to where u are going..
Yet,I still love this Naija!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Speaks Out Against Alleged Racism In Europe (video) / Is Visiting Visa To Australia Advisable For An Intending Hustler? / LRU Rescues Fatal Accident Victims On Berger Bridge, Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.