Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. (22699 Views)

Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / Immigrating (relocating From Nigeria To U.S.A: Whats The Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by darkman200: 12:09am On Dec 10, 2013
I don't think OP is serious, after the first page, i got tired or reading, he asked a very good question and i was looking forward to good responses and insights, but for everyone that gives a decent advise, he has some form of sarcastic comment to make. I live and work here in the US, i have friends that visit from Nigeria all the time, and i can tell, that i do not have as much disposable income as they do, they have more to spend because they are able to save more money than i can ever dream of. Mind you- i am talking about friends and colleagues that work in the same industry as i do, we make comparably the same kind of money, but standard of living is higher here and there is no going around that, however in Nigeria, if you want to be wasteful-i guess you can, but if you also want to save and invest- you can at a faster rate than we here, based on the same income. This is my impression. My Nigerian based friends have properties and assets that i can only dream of. So i am hoping to ask my company for a transfer to Nigeria. So@OP , zip it if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

1 Like

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by ifebosco: 12:48am On Dec 10, 2013
Goldenboy007:

Woooooooooow ! You spoke my mind word for word ! I respect some minds on Nairaland. I wonder why most Nigerians keep thinking all those Nigerians in US are better off than them.
There are Nigerians here that are worse than the least unemployed graduate at home. Majority of them don't even Have legal documents to work so they are bloody hustlers even those that have papers are barely getting the job. I live in US and work with a bank as an accountant, in Nigeria I worked with a telecommunication company. My people the difference is not much walahi !!! Yes you get good amenities here but you pay through your nose to get it. I am still in US because I have a better offer here, if I get a better prospect at home, bet it I won't need someone to tell me how Nigeria is !!! So young man don't come here and start feeling like a king, if US no pay you, don't deceive yourself find ticket money and go back home !
somebody is thinking
thesame to all of you out there in europe

1 Like

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by stalliontp(m): 1:07am On Dec 10, 2013
darkman200: I don't think OP is serious, after the first page, i got tired or reading, he asked a very good question and i was looking forward to good responses and insights, but for everyone that gives a decent advise, he has some form of sarcastic comment to make. I live and work here in the US, i have friends that visit from Nigeria all the time, and i can tell, that i do not have as much disposable income as they do, they have more to spend because they are able to save more money than i can ever dream of. Mind you- i am talking about friends and colleagues that work in the same industry as i do, we make comparably the same kind of money, but standard of living is higher here and there is no going around that, however in Nigeria, if you want to be wasteful-i guess you can, but if you also want to save and invest- you can at a faster rate than we here, based on the same income. This is my impression. My Nigerian based friends have properties and assets that i can only dream of. So i am hoping to ask my company for a transfer to Nigeria. So@OP , zip it if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.
Nothing like home!
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 1:15am On Dec 10, 2013
@ OP

1. You will fall sick all the time of malaria and other diseases.

2. You will be greeted by dirty environment , poor and ugly people on the streets every time you come outside.

3. The Nigerian police will collect brides from you or want to extort you of your hard earned money.

4. There are many bad roads to driver on,poor commuters on every corner of the road and noise pollution.

5. The hot climate might want to fry you up.

6. Power outages and blackout will be a routinely activity.

7. Bad food that will run your stomach and unhygienic restaurant for you to eat outdoors.

8. You will be consuming bad drinking water and use dirty water to bathe.

9. Criminals will continue to harass you and burglars will visit your house as they know you are from God'sown country.

10. Your extended family will become a task for you as I was told Nigerians believe in and take care of their extended family a lot.And,many more horrible things.

I would advise you not to relocate back to Nigeria if you have something doing in States.If you don't have anything doing or hanging around the street corners looking for people pockets to cut then you need to relocate to Nigeria quickly before you end up in the penitentiary.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 1:55am On Dec 10, 2013
MrT2011: Darling, I feel your pains overseas. sad But dear, this is a very big step you are trying to embark on.
1)You must reconsider your status over there vis-a-vis your status when you settle here.
2)Also consider if Nigeria is the right country for you Spiritually and otherwise.
3) US is very big; you might need to look out for other States, more harmonious to you, that do not vibrate negatively.
NOTE: Nigeria is realy very UNSTABLE & UNPREDICTABLE, in this recent time.

Good advice..
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by chairman: 2:11am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Well I dont disagree with you that there is a of money in Nigeria. But it seems like true opportunity to make a decent

living is only available to the upper one percent of Nigeria's society. or am I wrong? You have the rich and the poor, and a very tiny

middle class population. This its self is not a problem, the real problem is the lack of upward mobility for the poor class. One

can make it in Nigeria, but his or her chances are slim to none. I dont think i have told any lies in this statement. [/b]
MR KNOW IT ALL, why you still dey ask question na
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by OkochiZico(m): 2:34am On Dec 10, 2013
East or West home is the best, owing to ur questions we can all make Nigeria work better.

There job opportunities recently.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by fnk: 3:51am On Dec 10, 2013
The first step back is always the hardest, but those who have done it will tell you to do it, and if you muster the courage and do it, eventually, you will thank God you did.

You should first of all know that Nigeria will never be like the U.S. That doesn't mean that it could not be better, but for the time being, it will not.

I am one of those who relocated to Nigeria, you can learn from the mistake that people like me made, and do better from day one than people like us did. But going back to Nigeria was the best thing I did and will advice anyone out there to do.

I have a company that I set up in Nigeria now, my family is back in the U.S so I go back and forth and spend couple months or so each time, I have 12 people gainfully employed in my company, and we finance on U.S expenditure with our income from Nigeria. "Life is good"

2 Likes

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 4:00am On Dec 10, 2013
Akiika: Yes, go ahead. But make sure you buy a return ticket to the US, you may need it in no time! also ensure your properties are kept in the storage (don't give it out or donate it yet), you may need them back.
1 + 1 is not 2 in Nigeria, it's a broken system. You may start regretting your decision right from the airport. People are out there that are ready to take advantage of you (family members inclusive).
A friend's sister in-law went to Naija for NYSC (i no know wetin she need am for), she got kidnapped 2 weeks ago.
Need i say more?

she is looking for a husband.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by basty: 4:12am On Dec 10, 2013
For God's sake why these questions when he can access internet in America if truly he is in America. I often. Wonder why some people like asking some questions.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 4:14am On Dec 10, 2013
mactonnyso:

KEEP DREAMING . YOU CAME BACK WITH NATING BOY

nothing not even good grammar.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 4:26am On Dec 10, 2013
andyanders:

You are just disturbing yourselves here. This guy no dey America.

You can read from his answers that he has a lot hidden. This guy dey here and pulling your legs to know what you want to say.
Why must he act as if he is better off. Anybody can come home depending on what you want or what you want to do.

I stayed in America for 12 and half years and I am comfortable here and travel there anytime any day within a week a=or two. Training my children here and they will get back after. Nothing like home.
If op wants an advise, then he will get, but barking on people's advise makes no sense.
but why wld ur children go back? why do nigerian mums give births there?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by t2luv: 4:41am On Dec 10, 2013
fnk: The first step back is always the hardest, but those who have done it will tell you to do it, and if you muster the courage and do it, eventually, you will thank God you did.

You should first of all know that Nigeria will never be like the U.S. That doesn't mean that it could not be better, but for the time being, it will not.

I am one of those who relocated to Nigeria, you can learn from the mistake that people like me made, and do better from day one than people like us did. But going back to Nigeria was the best thing I did and will advice anyone out there to do.

I have a company that I set up in Nigeria now, my family is back in the U.S so I go back and forth and spend couple months or so each time, I have 12 people gainfully employed in my company, and we finance on U.S expenditure with our income from Nigeria. "Life is good"

You forget to tell the brother that the cost of living in Nigeria is higher that in the US. Trust me I know this to be true.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by fnk: 5:11am On Dec 10, 2013
t2luv:

You forget to tell the brother that the cost of living in Nigeria is higher that in the US. Trust me I know this to be true.

@t2luv As I write this I am here in the U.S, I live in Houston, I came back from Nigeria about 3 weeks ago. I am not trying to down play the challenges one face living in Nigeria especially if you have lived overseas for a long time, take it from me, I left Nigeria in 1992, and the first time I came back was in 2006, a lot has changed when I came back, naively in 2009, I moved the whole family back to Nigeria, and we lived in VGC then, my business tanked and in 2011 we moved back to the U.S. I spent the next 1 year trying to get a job and could not get anything, but my heart was still back in Nigeria, I know if I can start back another business opportunity in Nigeria, that I could do better than I can ever do here in the U.S. So, I created a niche, got a contract from one company to be a master importer of their product into Nigeria, before you know it, another company called, So I came back to Nigeria to set up offices for these companies, Now I am working on our 5th company.

They truth is that because the things that we consider as basic in the U.S, i.e electricity, good road, good housing etc are luxurious in Nigeria and if you have lived especially in the U.S for long, there is so much low that you can take, thus you have to pay for those amenities.

So, my take is DO NOT just jump in the plane and say you want to relocate to Nigeria, it doesn't work that way, you have to think it out and plan it out. I can tell you now that a lot of the companies out here in the U.S, know that Africa is the next frontier, their challenge is finding a thrusted person to work with, If you can prove that, you will find a company that you can represent in Nigeria, you can piggy back ride with then to get into Nigeria and get yourself set up.

You can make more money in Nigeria that you can make in the U.S if you know what you can doing. Here in the U.S people don't live the dream anymore, you chase the dream, you run around in a circle.

If you have not been out here, you see the things that people have or even the constant electricity as WOW!, but there is that thing that we are all born with, to desire for good things, and when you have it, it becomes basic, because they are necessary, not a big deal.

So, if you want to relocate to Nigeria, don't let those challenges stop you, prepare your mind that Nigeria is not America, put your shoulders to the wheel and push it along. It will be worth it.

7 Likes

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 5:39am On Dec 10, 2013
My advice: No try am o! You go wound o! shocked shocked

Just go to the forum on "violent non- celebrity crimes" and read a few posts there about Nigeria. You will be convinced. cheesy
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Lagbaja425(m): 6:13am On Dec 10, 2013
fnk: @t2luv As I write this I am here in the U.S, I live in Houston, I came back from Nigeria about 3 weeks ago. I am not trying to down play the challenges one face living in Nigeria especially if you have lived overseas for a long time, take it from me, I left Nigeria in 1992, and the first time I came back was in 2006, a lot has changed when I came back, naively in 2009, I moved the whole family back to Nigeria, and we lived in VGC then, my business tanked and in 2011 we moved back to the U.S. I spent the next 1 year trying to get a job and could not get anything, but my heart was still back in Nigeria, I know if I can start back another business opportunity in Nigeria, that I could do better than I can ever do here in the U.S. So, I created a niche, got a contract from one company to be a master importer of their product into Nigeria, before you know it, another company called, So I came back to Nigeria to set up offices for these companies, Now I am working on our 5th company.

They truth is that because the things that we consider as basic in the U.S, i.e electricity, good road, good housing etc are luxurious in Nigeria and if you have lived especially in the U.S for long, there is so much low that you can take, thus you have to pay for those amenities.

So, my take is DO NOT just jump in the plane and say you want to relocate to Nigeria, it doesn't work that way, you have to think it out and plan it out. I can tell you now that a lot of the companies out here in the U.S, know that Africa is the next frontier, their challenge is finding a thrusted person to work with, If you can prove that, you will find a company that you can represent in Nigeria, you can piggy back ride with then to get into Nigeria and get yourself set up.

You can make more money in Nigeria that you can make in the U.S if you know what you can doing. Here in the U.S people don't live the dream anymore, you chase the dream, you run around in a circle.

If you have not been out here, you see the things that people have or even the constant electricity as WOW!, but there is that thing that we are all born with, to desire for good things, and when you have it, it becomes basic, because they are necessary, not a big deal.

So, if you want to relocate to Nigeria, don't let those challenges stop you, prepare your mind that Nigeria is not America, put your shoulders to the wheel and push it along. It will be worth it.

Well said!
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 10, 2013
nijanigga:
This guy is probably using "agbari" to advertise OXL.com
its actually OLX :\
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by chiteny(m): 6:50am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall: I want to relocate back to Nigeria from the United States and I just have some questions.

1) is this advisable to move from the U.S back to Nigeria?

2) are there any job opportunities available that one can make a comfortable living from?

3)what are the road and traffic conditions in Nigeria now days?

4) and has police harassment and political corruptions reduced? thanks.

OP i thought u know it all. Please do not relocate till you see the country is okay for that in 2016.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by MrKnowitall: 6:57am On Dec 10, 2013
chiteny:

OP i thought u know it all. Please do not relocate till you see the country is okay for that in 2016.

Yes I actually do Knowitall my friend. I just want to see how much other people know.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by MrKnowitall: 6:58am On Dec 10, 2013
basty: For God's sake why these questions when he can access internet in America if truly he is in America. I often. Wonder why some people like asking some questions.

Some people like asking some question because they want some answers my friend.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by seangy4konji: 7:19am On Dec 10, 2013
dont think of that decision ever...Naija is still been run by a president who corruption in the middle name...nothing is working..no rails,electricity,no good roads and hate everywhere...Is that how you want to live your lifeIf you gbagaun for here na your palaba oo and if we resemble and i can use your own passport enter US....God will bless you...PM me as me i want commot this country!!!!...my 50 cents
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by GetGuide: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2013
undecided undecided undecided undecided guy do yo want ladies here on NL? Cos your post will traffic a lot of ladies to your profile

Or u want to get married here

https://www.nairaland.com/1489113/grade-5as-original-brazilian-peruvian#20117744
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by ibkgab001: 7:39am On Dec 10, 2013
Don't mind him he knew what he already have in mind to do that is why he is walking in a sineosodial manner alternating through a line of unbalanved barmuda triangle
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by charles424(m): 7:47am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall: I want to relocate back to Nigeria from the United States and I just have some questions.

2) are there any job opportunities available that one can make a comfortable living from?

come back to where? dem they do u....hope u av American pali..or u will regret it.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by ababs001: 7:50am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I am right handed so I actually prefer the houses at Yaba right but thanks for the offer my friend.
hahahahahaha....
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by IYANGBALI: 8:26am On Dec 10, 2013
Omo if na joke make you stop am,how you go say you wan move from heaven go dey live inside hell?dem swear for you?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by mikeapollo: 8:37am On Dec 10, 2013

What do you plan to do in Nigeria? Do you have a comfortable home/house to stay in? A good job or skill or experience to sustain you?
Have you thought of what you can do in the US to improve your prospects, both in the US and Nigeria or elsewhere?

My brother, dont let me deceive you.....except you are already well made(financially) or your family is buoyant enough to support you, better stay where you are! If you dont have a specialised skill that would enable get or create jobs in Nigeria, please dont risk it.....better concentrate and work harder to improve and equip yourself with some specialised skill/training in fields or areas that are scarce or in high demand in the Nigerian market, then you can take the plunge. The you can do well in Nigeria after the initial hiccups......but to just relocate from US to Nigeria just like that and be lookinng for work to survice.....it is hell!

Your first frustration wil start from lack of basic electricity....so you must get a generator and buy fuel everyday. You must must be ready to have money for 2 year rent(you may get 1 year if lucky), spend an average of 3-4 hours in hold up(if living in Lagos), and be ready to bribe your way through virtually everything you do with the govt .e.g getting a licence etc
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 10, 2013
all4naija: @ OP

2. You will be greeted by dirty environment , poor and ugly people on the streets every time you come outside.

3. The Nigerian police will collect brides from you or want to extort you of your hard earned money.

4. There are many bad roads to driver on,poor commuters on every corner of the road and noise pollution.

7. Bad food that will run your stomach and unhygienic restaurant for you to eat outdoors.

9. Criminals will continue to harass you and burglars will visit your house as they know you are from God'sown country.

10. Your extended family will become a task for you as I was told Nigerians believe in and take care of their extended family a lot.And,many more horrible things.

I would advise you not to relocate back to Nigeria if you have something doing in States.If you don't have anything doing or hanging around the street corners looking for people pockets to cut then you need to relocate to Nigeria quickly before you end up in the penitentiary.

Thank you.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by busterr(m): 8:58am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Well since you are making a claim you should back it up my friend. Maybe we should compare my knowledge about Nigeria to your

knowledge? But am assuming you are just one of those people that likes to talk a lot with very little substance.

"One of those people who like operate with open mouth and a closed brain" Do not embarrass yourself and take the challenge my

friend.

i wonder what makes you believe you can get an advice here if you keep talking like this, your knowledge of Nigeria is shallow and so are the majority of your replies in this section.
If you go to the police for help or to lay a complaint you must make a sentence so i don't see anything wrong with anybody asking you the nature of job you have there and your plans of survival here, if you don't want to open up then expect no help.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Dre19: 9:27am On Dec 10, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I actually pack very well thank you. But am a little perplexed by your comment though. How did you come to the conclusion

that i have a bad mouth?
me i be yankee boy too oh...i get the full swag of 9ja.. dont talk shit about ma motherland nigga! There is no place like home!!!
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by kaykad: 9:36am On Dec 10, 2013
oga @ d top: why ask questions you already have answers for, guys make una no bother una self jor, the guy na joker.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Allohrandy(m): 9:53am On Dec 10, 2013
all4naija: @ OP

Thank you.
If mike Adenuga had listen to people like you, he would still have been a taxi driver in the States and not the second richest man in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is Visiting Visa To Australia Advisable For An Intending Hustler? / LRU Rescues Fatal Accident Victims On Berger Bridge, Lagos (photos) / 11 Things Lagosians Will Not Miss About “danfo”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.