Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches (53539 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by ORMORT: 8:17am On Dec 23, 2013
tpia@:
find another church to attend if you are annoyed.

and stop generalizing, thanks.

how old is the pastor in question? In some cultures [eg yoruba], you are expected to show respect if people are 30+ years your senior.

In any case, address people the way they want to be addressed.
you need deliverance. Even Jesus is Jesus

3 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by OILOFGLADNESS: 8:18am On Dec 23, 2013
specialguest: As I type this right now I am literally boiling with Anger. Imagine! I and my partner went to see the pastor today regarding our marriage plans and we met his absence. I decided to check the church office and behold I met his wife. The following conversation ensued between us

Me- Goodafternoon ma

Pastor's wife- Goodafternoon

Me- Ma, please is pastor around? He asked me and my fiance to see him today

Pastor's wife- which pastor?

Me- pastor abcd(i mentioned his name)

Pastor's wife- turned back stirred at me and shook her head then she said " I would have thought you were referring to someone else, how can you call my husband pastor abcd(his name) this is highly disrespectful. Bla Bla Bla Bla she went on and on about her displeasure.

Me- I am sorry ma, I summoned my fiance and we left.

Is it wrong for one to refer to his pastor as pastor abcd(his name) For christ sakes where in the bible was it written that we need to address our pastors as mummy and daddy?

By the way, the man in question would not have minded if I addressed him as pastor abcd o but his wife tongue lashed me even in his absence never to call him that again except daddy.

funny though. I NORMALLY I ADDRESS PASTORS AS DADDY COS THEY ARE SPIRITUAL FATHERS.

@ OP IF I WERE YOU, I COULD HAVE SAID, SORRY MUMMY, IS DADDY AROUND, AND DATS SETTLES IT.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by rman: 8:18am On Dec 23, 2013
The title Daddy and Mummy is required by pastors and their wife to be absolutely sure they have complete control and domination of your mind.

Be wise people, it is all about controll.

4 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 23, 2013
Personally,I cannot call anyone Dad or Mum apart from my parents.Parents-in-law are answering a modified version.
My Dad and Mom are special,these two people have made me who I am today,suffered for me and nurtured me,i can't just wake up one morning and bestow such a precious name on someonelse.Call me whatever you like,but that's it for me.My culture thankfully doesn't require it from me as well cos then,I'd be forced to just to tick all boxes.

However,if your spiritual leader evokes such parental sentiments in you,why not?It is very wrong though to force it down someone's throat.I think this mostly stems from some misjudged thinking that calling such names would evoke some sort of affection and respect?

Here,my pastor introduces himself by his name and expects you to call him exactly that.My fellowship leader and all the old people expect to be called by their names.I show my respect by the way I treat them,speak to them and defer to them.I don't need to call them Dad and Mom for that.Would I treat them better if I called them Daddy?No.

I'd rather call Pastor,Sir,Prophet,Mr,Bishop,whatever....just not daddy and mummy.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Acidosis(m): 8:20am On Dec 23, 2013
rman: The title Daddy and Mummy is required by pastors and their wife to be absolutely sure they have complete control and domination of your mind.

Be wise people, it is all about controll.

Dont generalise
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Reference(m): 8:27am On Dec 23, 2013
specialguest:

I asked myself the same question after I left. In all honesty I could not say much to her out of respect but @least it is expected that people of God should humble themselves so the Lord will lift them up.

An elderly woman that was present there actually reminded the pastor"s wife that our former pastor that just left is usually addressed that way so the congregation are used to saying pastor abc but madam insisted it was still wrong. I had no choice than to tender a "reserved" apology

Maybe it was a test of your 'marraige' credentials and I'm not sure you passed. Sometimes in life things do not appear as they seem ordnarily. Learn to be broad-minded. Doesn't cost you anything. It would have been a five minute interview. Surely you can bear brief humiliation to get life long things.

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by chiteny(m): 8:33am On Dec 23, 2013
Acidosis:

You don't seem to get my point.

We all know the scripture and the verse you quoted, even though most people on this thread use some non-biblical titles while referring to their preachers.
As you already know, only pentecostals use those titles you listed. Others derived and coined theirs by themselves and for themselves, YET they search for every opportunity to pull down a harmless title.

Why can't OP tell us the age of her Pastor and lets weigh this with maturity and sense.

Where I schooled, we have lecturers with names like (Mr *****), but because of their age, courtesy demands that we show them some level of respect. We mostly call them 'ose' - meaning Daddy, Papa.

You see bro, there is absolutely nothing wrong in calling your Pastor Daddy.

Maybe the wife was only trying to act like a Mother and treat her as though she was a daughter.

There is no gainsaying the fact some people have idolised that word 'papa & daddy' e.g the always trying too hard campus fellowship dunces.
Nevertheless, I still believe there are people who need to be called DADDY, atleast for the AGE & THE SPIRITUAL FATHER-DAUGHTER RELATIONSHIP.

Acidosis, on the on the other hand, with the Pastor/Daddy's wife being knowledgeable that different people have different backgrounds and upbringing, why did she not tolerate someone calling her husband as Pastor instead of enforcing that he be referred to as Daddy? I bet you that that Daddy is not up to 60 years old.

They are not even Yoruba in the first place else i would have said it was a culture thing for them. I honestly do not see anything wrong in how the OP addressed the pastor. If she had called him by his name along then it would have been wrong. Infact if she had called him Mr. abcd, she would have not been wrong.

I wonder what we do with all these titles? undecided

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by chiteny(m): 8:48am On Dec 23, 2013
Reference:

Maybe it was a test of your 'marraige' credentials and I'm not sure you passed. Sometimes in life things do not appear as they seem ordnarily. Learn to be broad-minded. Doesn't cost you anything. It would have been a five minute interview. Surely you can bear brief humiliation to get life long things.

...and i guess when she is asked to eat her shite she should oblige with gratitude because it could be a test for the marriage and she needs to pass? Please lets call a spade a spade. If something is not right, it is not right. I would rather fail the test that say a wrong thing is right.

4 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Howmanage: 8:50am On Dec 23, 2013
specialguest:

Thank you woged2005, sophierocks, cybrass, emmyk, titiluvly and fijiano202 for you well articulated opinion on this matter and offcourse adeoba10 for making me laugh.

Like I always say, we Africans like to take things to the extreme. I doubt if this mummy daddy thing in some of our churches exist in other continents. Respect must be given to those in higher authority as you rightly said but the manner of presentation should be at an individual"s discretion.

However.....priests are called Father in catholic churches.....
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 23, 2013
Howmanage:

However.....priests are called Father in catholic churches.....

It's objective.Members are not asked to call them that.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 23, 2013
Ho!!!! Special u are getting married Jeez!!! What's happening to me Ok, to d question, u aren't wrong at allllllll...don't mind some of the so called pastors' wives jareh! U are a lady na, u ought to know that u peoples' wahala plentygringrin

#NotHappyStill

3 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by specialguest(f): 8:58am On Dec 23, 2013
DailyNews: Ho!!!! Special u are getting married Jeez!!! What's happening to me Ok, to d question, u aren't wrong at allllllll...don't mind some of the so called pastors' wives jareh! U are a lady na, u ought to know that u peoples' wahala plentygringrin

#NotHappyStill

Yeeah Dailynew I am getting married and you are invited tongue! I expected you get down on one knee and propose since last year but you didn't, so a smarter man came along and took me*wink

3 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by tnktosin(m): 9:07am On Dec 23, 2013
nenergy: The saviour of the world was called a mere 'teacher'. That pastor's, sorry daddy's wife is not saved yet. They scream Jesus' name without adding title, yet they heap titles on themselves. Only God can judge them!
10,000 likes. I know a Honourable Rev. xxxx J.P. whom you dare not address without those titles. I still call on Jesus daily without any titles. Truly not all those who call the name Lord Lord will enter into the kingdom.

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 23, 2013
specialguest:

Yeeah Dailynew I am getting married and you are invited tongue! I expected you get down on one knee and propose since last year but you didn't, so a smarter man came along and took me*wink
Jisos Krist!!!! For real You are serious u are getting married Gosh!!! Gosh!!! Ok, ok...its well.

But Specialguest, u know u are one of the bestest and awesomely female nairalander...and u deserve everything bestest...in fact, if not that I am not happy that u are marrying someone elsegrin, I would have....anyway, God knows d best...I wish u d best, and pls keep being nice and humble. I won't attend ur wedding...I will only say HML to u and ur lucky man...but I won't attend of course...#NotJustHappyByeByeToNorth

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 23, 2013
Oh my jeez!!!! This must be a dream, I refuse to open my eyes. For real, special u are getting married Pls tell d guy to give u some months to think and pray again pls...u need to consult more men of God...dnt say yes yet, tell him u had a dream like that ok That's if this isn't a dream

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by labbyboi(m): 9:20am On Dec 23, 2013
grin Funny enough, I can still call you daddy and still wouldn't give you your due respect.

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Bidoomolala: 9:20am On Dec 23, 2013
[quote
author=tpia@]

Madam, save your issues and nasty character for your so-called fiance,
thanks.

I just went through your posts and discovered you have a witch nature,
good for you.

Your thread is nothing more than the usual satanic attacks on christians
and christianity, like I said, if you are not happy with your pastor or
his wife, find somewhere else t go or sit your cranky behind at home,
na by force? Just thank seun for giving you a mouth.[/quote] giving you a mouth.[/quote] hey u,u nid deliverance cos u av a devilish character.i dislik pple lik u cos u think ua sayin d truth bt only bin used by d devil 2 spit trash.must u alwys spit trash?pls think b4 u speak or type nxt time

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Collyno82(m): 9:22am On Dec 23, 2013
matt. 23vs9. said it all.

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by saved: 9:31am On Dec 23, 2013
Apology and enough respect to good women but, give some women an inch, they take a mile, give first lady a chance to organise women meeting, she blocks all roads to eagle square. When some women have absolute power, they corrupt it absolutely. Men have to learn how to keep the excesses of their women in-check. I am expecting deluge of insults from arrogant ladies in the house. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by funshint(m): 9:32am On Dec 23, 2013
In as much as I don't support the daddy/mummy thing you also hv to take a look at the context in which diff words can be put into use. Assuming U̶̲̥̅̊ were talking to a third person about the pastor; then usage of the word "Pastor" is appropriate but when U̶̲̥̅̊'re talking to someone as close as the Pastor's wife especially in a situation whereby they are elderly people; usage of "Pastor" will be seen as highly disrespectful according to Nigerian tradition. @OP U̶̲̥̅̊ yourself know that but you're only looking for people to support 'ur premise which is obviously wrong!
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by kayClt(f): 9:35am On Dec 23, 2013
Orikinla:
Thank you tpia.
1000 Likes for your reply.

What is wrong in calling your pastor Daddy?
In our African culture among Igbos and Yorubas, we often call our male elders "Papa" or "Baba" and female elders "Mama" or "Mummy".
It is for RESPECT and a blessing for humility.
No body is saying it is rong to call ur pastor Daddy or baba or papa,if u like call dem ur majesty or ur highness but dat shuld be done if u deem fit and @ ur own will not forcing u to call dem names.

4 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by ignis: 9:39am On Dec 23, 2013
Collyno82: matt. 23vs9. said it all.
Can you throw more light on it?
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 23, 2013
tpia@:
find another church to attend if you are annoyed.

and stop generalizing, thanks.

how old is the pastor in question? In some cultures [eg yoruba], you are expected to show respect if people are 30+ years your senior.

In any case, address people the way they want to be addressed.

Mathew 23:9 And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.

MANY False prophets of the End-Times have taken up this title and their masses of gullible, blissfully ignorant minions (who are all going to hell BTW) have placed God on the pages of the Bible and all they do is worship DADDY.. spank me Daddy, o yea Daddy, You hit da Spot Daddy.. Blind F00ls grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Mintayo(m): 9:48am On Dec 23, 2013
chiteny:

How do u mean broken? You wan break her? undecided
shockedshockedshocked
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by kayClt(f): 9:48am On Dec 23, 2013
sihom: Tpia is forever sounding as sour as she looks, someone help me understand what her problem is. I know she looks sour because I once viewed her profile picture and it made me go shocked shocked shocked and then lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. My first reaction was hell no how can anyone look that …… but then my second reaction was stop hating she's God's creation as well. She boldly owned up to being the person in the picture when another NL member asked.

Tpia in no way did the OP insult a pastor or pastors neither did she generalize the issue, she only asked where in scripture are we told to call our pastors daddy or mummy. Why you often take off ranting and spewing trash on peoples' thread remains a mystery to me. Most people who are physically challenged in the looks department try to make up for their lack of good looks in good character BUT you on the other hand suffer a deficiency in both looks & character which is so sad and OFF PUTTING.

Tpia I am done talking so you in your usual fashion can come and rant all you want, after all I expect nothing less of you so don't disappoint all of NL on this occasion.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 23, 2013
Am a movie director/editor, i jst finished working on a musical video of a female pastor. Whenever she comes around to check her video and i refer to her as sister/pastor abcd, she gets annoyed bt whenever i call her mummy she can give me the whole world. I swear they like to be called mummy and daddy even when they are you age mates.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by 36toni: 9:55am On Dec 23, 2013
specialguest: Tpia@ This woman who invited you here? I see you all over people"s threads on Nairaland making noise and constituting a nuisance all the time. That thing you are spewing out of your mouth is unsolicited right here, go find some other thread to derail.

While you are at it, stay clear my path.
you sound pathetic, is because of your type that most of this pastors see themself as god, you are a typical defination of zoobie. pstoring is what he(pastor) does so call him PASTOR ABCD(HIS NAME), if his wife want poeple to call him daddy why didnt she just tell him to stay at with children to be called Daddy.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Orikinla(m): 9:58am On Dec 23, 2013
tpia@:

Madam, save your issues and nasty character for your so-called fiance, thanks.

I just went through your posts and discovered you have a witch nature, good for you.

Your thread is nothing more than the usual satanic attacks on christians and christianity, like I said, if you are not happy with your pastor or his wife, find somewhere else t go or sit your cranky behind at home, na by force? Just thank seun for giving you a mouth.
Thank you tpia.
1000 Likes for your reply.

What is wrong in calling your pastor Daddy?
In our African culture among Igbos and Yorubas, we often call our male elders "Papa" or "Baba" and female elders "Mama" or "Mummy".
It is for RESPECT and a blessing for humility.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Mintayo(m): 9:58am On Dec 23, 2013
lynpetra:

It's objective.Members are not asked to call them that.
huh
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 23, 2013
Mintayo:
huh
Huh!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

"Insult The Prophet TB Joshua & Evoke Curses Upon Yourself" - Fan / Hope: Transformed By Anja Ringgren Loven After Being Accused Of Witchcraft / US Pastor, Creflo Dollar, Denounces His Position On Tithing, I Was Wrong (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.