Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches (53560 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
Daddy ko.. Sugar daddy ni.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by whirlout: 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
I feel sorry just a tiny bit just because I don't feel anyone has the right to be disrespectful to another irrespective of your status but this sort of thing is a peeve of mines and I equate it to ignorance both on your part and the other party. We seem to think Pastor can cure all of our issues and Pastors and their accomplices seem to think the same. The same Pastor you are going to for wedding advice obviously hasn't put his own house in order judging by the disrespectful manner that you described his wife's behavior. Perhaps you all should see your pastors as just a man of God and not a messiah. His name is Pastor ABCD, why should you have to call him daddy, SMH. But then again, you put yourself in that position. Has it occurred to you that whatever you are seeking from the Pastor, you and your husband can kneel in the four corners of your room and ask it of him in confidence? Just saying.

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by solidman59(m): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2013
mumu, Pastor is a title so it's not disrespectful to call some1 with their title
tpia@:
find another church to attend if you are annoyed.

and stop generalizing, thanks.

how old is the pastor in question? In some cultures [eg yoruba], you are expected to show respect if people are 30+ years your senior.

In any case, address people the way they want to be addressed.

4 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2013
Titiluvly: Calling them "Daddy and Mummy" is not an obligation,its just a sign of respect,but the way she (your pastor's wife) addressed the issue was wrong...ThankGod it has been stopped in my church..Cos pride was "killing" some of them..
Titi Exceeding Grace!
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Amadaz(m): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
dey don answer pastor sotey dat wan come taya dem, dey say na bishop sure pass. now dey no like bishop again, na daddy dem want now. ok oh..........******mk somebody borrow me 2 cups of rice dia abeg****

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by nkpommpko(m): 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
Revrend father=pastor daddy yeye things in the name of God
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by amazing2013: 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
My God! tpia@ is the worst thing that happened to nairaland!! She is seriously competing with HER MENTOR Kemi Olunloyo! Never observed a more troubled being. I was disgusted before but now I PITY her.
specialguest: Tpia@ This woman who invited you here? I see you all over people"s threads on Nairaland making noise and constituting a nuisance all the time. That thing you are spewing out of your mouth is unsolicited right here, go find some other thread to derail.

While you are at it, stay clear my path.

9 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by tk4rd: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
When you see a potential mummy you will know.. A family mummy ooo.. And not a church mummy.. Click and see..

www.missbeer.org/contestant/10894
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by neejay1986(m): 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b][b][/b]It is well even in the well.
Vanity upon vanity........we call our heavenly father by name, that does not mean we didn't respect Him. " IN THE NAME OF JESUS EVERY KnEE SHOULD BOW ANN EVERY TONGUES CONFESS...."
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by pakoto: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
Sophyrocks: Nigerians and their way of worshipping Pastors. Chai! Una too get wahala. So calling somebody Daddy or mummy will take u to the kingdom of God ba? oooh. Emancipate yourselves from Man made fanatical slavery!!!! so there are not other ways to show respect other than this daddy mummy thing?? @Op Abeg do whatever suits u. If u aint comfortable with it, dnt force it. sad sad sad No wonder men of God these days walk around like politicians. SMH.

May God bless you .........Most Pastors and their wives this days are the Anti-christ themselves with all our churches and the millions at different congresses Nigeria is moving from good to better lest i say otherwise ,yet countries like China and India where there is no fanaticism especially Christian fanaticism are progressing in leaps and bounds.

Every Tom ,dick and failed at yahoo yahoo has turned Pastor and have become tin gods pscheeeew abeg abeg

Iranu gbeske

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by oluwashaddow(m): 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
even Jesus christ preferred to be called rabi, meaning teacher I think,so y can't dey also humble demselves, I prefer something like man of God

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by checkdate(m): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2013
s.g THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUTING THIS SUBJECT UP. if you check well, am confused like you re based on calling men of god daddy

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by andyanders: 9:54pm On Dec 22, 2013
specialguest: As I type this right now I am literally boiling with Anger. Imagine! I and my partner went to see the pastor today regarding our marriage plans and we met his absence. I decided to check the church office and behold I met his wife. The following conversation ensued between us

Me- Goodafternoon ma

Pastor's wife- Goodafternoon

Me- Ma, please is pastor around? He asked me and my fiance to see him today

Pastor's wife- which pastor?

Me- pastor abcd(i mentioned his name)

Pastor's wife- turned back stirred at me and shook her head then she said " I would have thought you were referring to someone else, how can you call my husband pastor abcd(his name) this is highly disrespectful. Bla Bla Bla Bla she went on and on about her displeasure.

Me- I am sorry ma, I summoned my fiance and we left.

Is it wrong for one to refer to his pastor as pastor abcd(his name) For christ sakes where in the bible was it written that we need to address our pastors as mummy and daddy?

By the way, the man in question would not have minded if I addressed him as pastor abcd o but his wife tongue lashed me even in his absence never to call him that again except daddy.

That alone will tell you that you are at a wrong place and should find your level.
By their action, you shall know them.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Acidosis(m): 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
Op and all those attacking tpia should please stop smoking whatever it is they're smoking. Smokers are liable to die young.

Now to you @Op..
Of course, you and I know you aren't posting the whole truth here.. I'm quiet sure you acted rudely at some point.

There is something attached to that word - Daddy. It is no pride at all..

A Pastor is supposed to be a spiritual father, right? Then calling your Pastor Daddy only signifies a cordial relationship between a father and his son/daughter..

Personally, considering my long term relationship with my Pastor, I can't imagine myself calling him by his name - Pastor abcd. Biko, don't mind me, that was how I was brought up. I recognise my elders @home and in church. I call ALL elderly men & women in Church DADDY/MUMMY
Its not about Pastors, but elders.

So dear OP, bridle your tongue! Meanwhile, I don't patronise Kingdom antagonists. Come back and post the full story or forever keep quiet...

LOL! You're even boiling, just cos your 'mother in the Lord' talked to you. na wa o

You sure say you be church member at all? grin grin

All these church goers self... na dem dey embarrass christianity grin

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by BB013(m): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2013
cbrass: From my own part its not even mandatory to call your pastors any special name but courtesy demands that you give honour to whom honor is due.

Assuming the pastor was your own father and you wish to see him what will you say??

But if the pastor was around your age and he still insists you call him dad...then something is wrong with him
However since it was his wife that complained and not him, its no issue at all cos that's how many of you ladies behave- you act and talk without deep thought

If not for ur last sentence I wld ve called u a stupid fellow.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by simdam500(m): 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
Guest... U get time sef, u call someone ur fiance, and yet u wana see a pastor to confirm or for a particular reason... *to d extent dat dat woman had d gut to talk at u* smh... U brought dat to yourself o... Wat my own *wink*...

*anoda reason y i dont go 2 see a pastor* daddy koo
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by toshmann(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
The president of the United States is addressed as Mr bla bla bla. Nigerian man wey manage establish a small organization of worshippers wants to be called daddy, and his wife wants to be called mommy.

Taa gbafuo! angry. Na u born me? You pay my school fees? You breast feed me?

I have one father in heaven, and one on earth. My papa wey born me na I'm be daddy. The woman wey in born me with na her be mommy. The rest of the world must manage whatever name I call them.

shakara africanus. angry

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by jude33084(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
sad yoruba culture indeed.
tpia@:
find another church to attend if you are annoyed.

and stop generalizing, thanks.

how old is the pastor in question? In some cultures [eg yoruba], you are expected to show respect if people are 30+ years your senior.

In any case, address people the way they want to be addressed.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by BB013(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
I never new pastors goes to school to acquire daddy to their name.

Be u anybody I can never call u daddy wen u not my father. The highest I can call u is " Sir" that wot u entitled to.

Daddy ko father ni. Mtcchew!

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Acidosis(m): 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2013
toshmann: The president of the United States is addressed as Mr bla bla bla. Nigerian man wey manage establish a small organization of worshippers wants to be called daddy, and his wife wants to be called mommy.

I have one father in heaven, and one on earth. My papa wey born me na I'm be daddy. The woman wey in born me with na her be mommy. The rest of the world must manage whatever name I call them.

shakara africanus. angry

Yes its African thing..

We love it that way smiley smiley

The "westerners" can either accept our ways or 'die' smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by yomiousyolola: 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2013
Yeye woman;In Yoruba,the answer that fits het most is "oni miliki o siere,alagolo lon sinwin!
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by jude33084(m): 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2013
grin Even Universities fellowship president want to be called papa and mama.
toshmann: The president of the United States is addressed as Mr bla bla bla. Nigerian man wey manage establish a small organization of worshippers wants to be called daddy, and his wife wants to be called mommy.

shakara africanus. angry
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by toshmann(m): 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2013
jude33084: sad yoruba culture indeed.
The church na Yoruba church? If na Yoruba church then we can understand if Yoruba culture dominates the church.

Bc for Igbo, regardless of your age, you Berra respect ya self otherwise small pikin go Stand up tell you wetin you no wan hear grin

Anyway why I de bother sef, I never attend all these Pentecostals anyways. Na episcopal(Anglican) me de follow, we go sing hymn tire grin till church end, if you still de awake grin
That is if I wake up in time to even go church cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by freddyboy2013: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2013
How can u call a pastor daddy is e ur father d respect and the highest u call em is sir or pastor not daddy or something Africa church pratice as become something else .d advance world even d people who brought this Christian thing still address the man of GOD as pastors so what are we not say
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
tpia@:

Madam, save your issues and nasty character for your so-called fiance, thanks.

I just went through your posts and discovered you have a witch nature, good for you.

Your thread is nothing more than the usual satanic attacks on christians and christianity, like I said, if you are not happy with your pastor or his wife, find somewhere else t go or sit your cranky behind at home, na by force? Just thank seun for giving you a mouth.
witchcraft...you are back as usual derailing threads....i feel like E-punching your ugly old rotten face..

11 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by toshmann(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
jude33084: grin Even Universities fellowship president want to be called papa and mama.

Whaaat shocked shocked

Now this na real comedy grin
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Deschil: 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2013
Tpia@ has several monikers, this is one of them! ACIDOSIS
Acidosis: Op and all those attacking tpia should please stop smoking whatever it is they're smoking. Smokers are liable to die young.

Now to you @Op..
Of course, you and I know you aren't posting the whole truth here.. I'm quiet sure you acted rudely at some point.

There is something attached to that word - Daddy. It is no pride at all..

A Pastor is supposed to be a spiritual father, right? Then calling your Pastor Daddy only signifies a cordial relationship between a father and his son/daughter..

Personally, considering my long term relationship with my Pastor, I can't imagine myself calling him by his name - Pastor abcd. Biko, don't mind me, that was how I was brought up. I recognise my elders @home and in church. I call ALL elderly men & women in Church DADDY/MUMMY
Its not about Pastors, but elders.

So dear OP, bridle your tongue! Meanwhile, I don't patronise Kingdom antagonists. Come back and post the full story or forever keep quiet...

LOL! You're even boiling, just cos your 'mother in the Lord' talked to you. na wa o

You sure say you be church member at all? grin grin

All these church goers self... na dem dey embarrass christianity grin

8 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by nanizle(m): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2013
I think this daddy nd mummy thing is the result of trado-yoruba-rization of western churches.
I believe calling an elderly person daddy/mummy is a sign of respect in yoruba land.

As for why the pastors wife took it personal...

WAIT LET ME AS IFA...
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Mintayo(m): 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
Seriously,i do not believe the Op!
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by xynerise: 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
I deserve to be called ''Daddy'' too

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by simdam500(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
simdam500: Guest... U get time sef, u call someone ur fiance, and yet u wana see a pastor to confirm or for a particular reason... *to d extent dat dat woman had d gut to talk at u* smh... U brought dat to yourself o... Wat my own *wink*...

*anoda reason y i dont go 2 see a pastor* daddy koo
d last tym i check, wen pple cal God... Dey dont use d word sir, not to talk of daddy... And does d word daddy shows respect Just sayin tho... Dat ur fiance gently i swear... If it happened to me, I would ave brought u and ur mummy in christ to ur level... Mtchew

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Place In Kenya Where They Pay To See A Mermaid (video) / "Insult The Prophet TB Joshua & Evoke Curses Upon Yourself" - Fan / Hope: Transformed By Anja Ringgren Loven After Being Accused Of Witchcraft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.