Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,764 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20866 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:20am On Sep 29, 2014
Thank God for another beautiful week ....
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:24am On Oct 02, 2014
30 SEPTEMBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Be a Peacemaker

‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.’

Matthew 5:9

- 30 September 2014

Jesus spent much of His ministry tearing down barriers and building bridges. He did it through acts of love such as washing the feet of those who would fail and betray Him, eating with a tax collector everybody in town despised, and giving hope to a fallen woman that society condemned. The Bible says, ‘Peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness’ (James 3:18 NLT). Words of peace are like seeds. They don’t produce fruit overnight, but slowly and silently they work their way to the surface, changing hearts, minds, attitudes and futures. Doctor Robert Oppenheimer, the noted physicist who masterminded the first atomic bomb, was asked by a congressional committee if there was any defence against it. Addressing a hushed audience he replied, ‘Yes—peace!’ Now, if peace can defuse an atomic bomb, think what it can do in the lives of the people you come in contact with! Jesus said, ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God.’ Every day you’ll meet frightened, despairing, lonely, angry people who need a word of peace. Do you have one? Solomon offers us three ways to calm strife, defuse a tense situation, and get a better result: 1) Patience. ‘A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel’ (Proverbs 15:18 NIV). 2) Self-control. ‘Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city’ (Proverbs 16:32 NIV). 3) Wisdom. ‘A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offence’ (Proverbs 19:11 NIV). 

Nehemiah 8-10, Luke 24:25-35, Psalm 68:19-35, Pr 22:6
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:25am On Oct 02, 2014
1 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Learn to Adapt

‘I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.’

1 Corinthians 9:22

1 October 2014

Paul’s passion was winning souls to Christ. But he understood that people must be reached in different ways, so he constantly adapted his approach to them. Now apply that same principle to your life, career, or calling. Is your outlook fixed, or is it flexible? General George S. Patton Jr. said, ‘Successful generals make plans to fit circumstances, but do not try to create circumstances to fit plans.’ When you have a clear plan for reaching your destination, there’s a danger of becoming inflexible and trying to stick with it no matter what. Sometimes it’s wiser to explore other options. When you’re having a hard time moving forward, don’t be quick to revise your dream. Revise your plan instead. Peter Drucker said, ‘The question that faces the strategic decision-maker is not what his organisation should do tomorrow. It is, “What do we have to do today to be ready for an uncertain tomorrow?”’ The best way to face the uncertainty of tomorrow is to put your full faith in God, remain flexible, and consider your options as events unfold. The Psalmist said, ‘The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord’ (Psalms 37:23 NKJV). Clinton Utterbach said, ‘The steps and the stops of a good man are ordered by the Lord.’ Paul’s plan called for going to a certain place, ‘But the Spirit…would not allow them to’ (Acts 16:7 NIV). Instead, God opened up new territory for him elsewhere. A rigid mindset won’t serve you well when you’re trying to fulfil your God-given assignment. So be open, stay flexible, and learn to adapt.

Lev 23: 33-44, John 7:1-40, Zechariah 14:16-21
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:29am On Oct 02, 2014
2 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Don’t ‘Drift Away’

‘We must give…earnest heed…lest we drift away.

Hebrews 2:1

2 October 2014

The Bible says, ‘We must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away…How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?’ (vv. 1 & 3 NKJV). Note the words ‘drift’ and ‘neglect’. Those words should set off alarm bells! Samson’s decline was so gradual that he didn’t even realise it was happening. Like flipping a switch, he’d become used to drawing on the power of God and overcoming every enemy and obstacle. But sin and self-indulgence became his undoing. When Delilah said, “‘The Philistines are upon you, Samson!”…he awoke from his sleep, and said, “I will go out as before, at other times, and shake myself free!” But he did not know that the Lord had departed from him. Then the Philistines took him’ (Judges 16:20-21 NKJV). When you neglect God you begin to ‘drift away’. Your prayers aren’t as effective. You’re no longer a godly influence on those around you. You slip back into old habit patterns. You refuse to forgive those who’ve offended you. You fail to make amends to those you’ve hurt. You start doing what’s expedient and comfortable instead of what’s right. You harbour attitudes of fear and resentment. You feed your old nature and neglect your new one. These are all signs that you need a spiritual checkup. Ask God today to highlight those attitudes, activities and relationships that need to be dealt with and start weeding them out. The good news is that when you’re obedient to God’s Word and the Spirit’s leading, you regain your spiritual vitality and God can use you more effectively. 

Nehemiah 11-13, Luke 24:36-44,  Psalm 60 , Pr 22:7-11
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:50am On Oct 03, 2014
3 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Make Your Time Count

‘All our busy rushing ends in nothing.’

Psalms 39:6

3 October 2014

If there aren’t enough hours in your day to get everything done, chances are you can relate to David’s lament: ‘All our busy rushing ends in nothing.’ Mark Roberts writes, ‘It’s hard to think of a more relevant insight for our time…we’re seeing our nest eggs dry up and our economic hopes dashed…We feel as if we’ve been rushing about “[like] moving shadows” (Psalms 39:6 NLT), without substance.’ To maximise your time, Mary M. Byers says: ‘Make lists: what do you want to accomplish this week? List work-related tasks on one side and home-related on the other. That way you won’t have to struggle to remember everything. Consult your schedule first: understanding your current workload is essential to maintaining realistic goals. Are you booked solid, or is this a more relaxed week? If it’s the latter, you can tackle more than you could during times when you’re constantly on-the-go. Prioritise: highlight what has to be done this week, and put everything else on a secondary list. Focus on your highest priority and work on the rest as time permits. Delegate: is there a colleague who can assist at work? The same applies to home-based activities; let your kids pitch in. It’ll help you, and instil a sense of pride and responsibility in them. Identify extenuating circumstances: are you running yourself ragged caring for a loved one, or doing double duty while your spouse is away? At particularly challenging times, give yourself permission to let some things slide without feeling guilty that you’re not accomplishing as much as usual. Learn to let go: the longer something is on your list, the less important it’s likely to be.’

Micah 1-4, Luke 24:45-53, Psalm 5 , Proverb 22:12-16

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 9:08am On Oct 03, 2014
Amen. Thanks so much for the posts. @Lateef4me is surely back. Greetings all.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:12am On Oct 03, 2014
Alwaystrue: Amen. Thanks so much for the posts. @Lateef4me is surely back. Greetings all.
Greetings to u ma..Happy new month to u guys..
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:27am On Oct 05, 2014
4 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

You Can Begin Again

‘The Lord is my portion…therefore I hope in Him.’

Lamentations 3:24

4 October 2014

When you haven’t accomplished what you’d hoped for, regret can become a major pastime. The computer analyst wishes he’d become an accountant, the accountant wishes he’d become a doctor, etc. Maybe you planned to leave a legacy, but to date all you’ve left is a trail of unfilled aspirations. It’s not too late; you can begin again! You just have to be prepared to pursue your dream and pay the price. ‘To win the contest you must deny yourselves many things that would keep you from doing your best’ (1 Corinthians 9:25 TLB). Don’t listen to the critics and complainers who’ve settled for less. Your goal shouldn’t just be to live long, but to make a difference in your world and glorify God. Charles Lindbergh said, ‘I feel I lived on a higher plain than the sceptics on the ground…Who valued life more highly, the aviators who spent it on the art they loved, or these misers who doled it out like pennies through their antlike days?…If I could fly for ten years before I was killed in a crash, it would be a worthwhile trade for an ordinary lifetime.’ Look at Moses. Look at Paul. They both began again. Look at Winston Churchill: instead of retiring after World War II, he went on to win the Nobel Prize in literature. When Heinrich Schliemann retired from business to look for Homer’s legendary city of Troy—he found it. Here’s a Scripture you can stand on: ‘Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion…therefore I hope in Him!’ (Lamentations 3:22-24 NKJV). That means you can begin again.

Micah 5-7, John 1:1-13, Psalm 63, Proverb 22:17-23
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:28am On Oct 05, 2014
5 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Learn to ‘Cast’

‘Cast all your anxiety on him.’

1 Peter 5:7

5 October 2014

Learn to ‘cast all your anxiety on him’. Only when you have done that will you be able to ‘catch yourself’ when you begin to open the door to worry, allowing it to move in, set up shop and start doing business. What’s your top ten list of worries? Health? Money? A relationship? Children? Your looks? Get to know your most common worries so well that you’re able to treat them like mosquitoes. You don’t procrastinate when a blood-sucking bug lights on your skin. You don’t say, ‘I’ll take care of it in a moment.’ No, you give the creature the slap it deserves. Be equally decisive with anxiety. The moment a worry surfaces, deal with it. Don’t dwell on it. Head it off before it gets the best of you. Instead of ulcerating over what your boss thinks, ask him. Before you diagnose that mole as a cancer, have it examined. Instead of assuming that you’ll never get out of debt, consult an expert, draw up a plan, and take back your power. As long as you’re willing to live with worry, you’ll never overcome it. Instead of allowing worry to cast a big shadow over a small problem, rise up in faith and say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’ (Hebrews 13:6 NKJV). Who’s your helper? The Lord! So give your worries to Him and don’t take them back. The Psalmist said, ‘Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken’ (Psalms 55:22 NIV). Peter writes, ‘Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.’ Learn to ‘cast’.

Ecclesiastes 11:7 - 12:1 , Acts 9:1-25
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by nwapastor: 6:19am On Oct 06, 2014
Longest time. Greetings to all that have kept this thread going till date (@lateef4me, Odunharry, Alwaystrue), God bless you all. I've actually been following from afar.

Wow @ 'learn to cast': You don’t procrastinate when a blood-sucking bug lights on your skin. You don’t say, ‘I’ll take care of it in a moment.’ No, you give the creature the slap it deserves. As long as you’re willing to live with worry, you’ll never overcome it.

As for the word for today on 2nd Oct: But he did not know that the Lord had departed from him. I noticed for the first time that it did not say : But he did not know that his hair has been shaven, which means it wasn't completely about his 'hair' but his actions before then, which also means that it is possible that if his hair was accidentally shaven (without him contributing to it in a negative way) God might still be with him the shaven hair notwithstanding (so I think).

Bless you.

Keep it coming.

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:40am On Oct 06, 2014
[b]TODAY'S WORD FOR THE DAY
MONDAY 6TH OCTOBER,2014

How to Be Happy (1)

‘If ye know these things, happy are
ye if ye do them.’ John 13:17

Holiness brings happiness, but sin never can. Sometimes we find this
hard to believe. The story’s told of a
mother saying to her son, ‘Be good,
and have fun.’ He replies, ’Please make up your mind!’ How revealing! Today the word ‘holiness’ has got a bad reputation. Some see it as a list of all the things the church says you can’t do. Others recall those who claimed to practise holiness, but came across as rigid, joyless, narrow and judgmental. So let’s define it: ‘Holiness is the whole of Christ in the whole of life.’
Furthermore, holiness vanishes when you talk about it; it only becomes attractive when you live it. ‘The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich, and He addeth no sorrow’ (Proverbs 10:22 KJV).
The only thing that adds
no sorrow is the blessing of the Lord.
James writes, ‘When lust hath
conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and
sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death’ (James 1:15 KJV).
When we’re immature we think we can sin and get away with it, but as we grow wiser and more mature we know better.
You’ll never meet a smoker who
recommends his or her habit. And you’ll meet very few who shipwrecked a marriage, recommending an affair.
The law of the harvest is: ‘Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap’ (Galatians 6:7 KJV).

Sin destroys your capacity for happiness. A loving parent doesn’t want to see their children get hurt—and God is a loving parent. David, who tasted the bitter fruits of sin first-hand, wrote, ‘Worship the Lord in the beauty of
holiness’ (Psalms 29:2 KJV).
Holiness is a beautiful thing when you fully understand and practise it.

2 Tim 1-4, John 1:14-28, Ps 92 , Pr 22:24-25[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:44am On Oct 06, 2014
Nwapastor bless u too..
Kudos to alwaystrue and lateef4me..

A wonderful week ahead
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:18pm On Oct 06, 2014
Thanks for the update Odunharry !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by nwapastor: 2:09am On Oct 07, 2014
‘Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness’ (Psalms 29:2 KJV). Holiness is a beautiful thing when you fully understand and practice it.
So help me God!
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:26am On Oct 07, 2014
7 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

How to Be Happy (2)

‘The Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.’

Job 42:10

7 October 2014

Helping others brings happiness, but selfishness never can. A ragged urchin stood looking into a sweet shop window. A man came along and observed the scene, took him inside and said to the saleslady, ‘Fill a bag with every kind of sweet he wants.’ The boy couldn’t believe his luck. As he filled his mouth with sugary delights, his benefactor asked, ‘Is that good, son?’ He nodded in the affirmative: ‘Uh huh.’ Then the man asked, ‘Could I have some?’ Immediately the boy’s look of joy turned to fear, and clutching the bag he ran away shouting, ‘Mine, mine!’ Happiness doesn’t come by getting; it comes by forgetting yourself and living for others. Job, one of the richest men in his day, lost his health, his wealth, and his family. It’s hard to imagine, right? Then an amazing thing happened: ‘The Lord restored Job’s losses, when he prayed for his friends’ (v. 10 NKJV). Job actually got back twice what he lost. How? By reaching out to others instead of dwelling on his own problems. And that principle still works today. Jesus warned, ‘Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth’ (Luke 12:15 KJV). God blesses you for one reason: to make you a blessing to others. You’re not supposed to be a warehouse—but a clearing house. For every verse in Scripture that promises material success, there’s another that speaks of the dangers of hoarding. So the word for you today is: helping others brings happiness, but selfishness never can.

Zech 1-4, John 1:29-42, Psalm 29, Proverb 22:26-29
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:43am On Oct 07, 2014
God blesses you for one reason: to make you a blessing to others. You’re not supposed to be a warehouse—but a clearing house.......

What a better Nigeria we would have had if christians decide to be clearing houses and channel of blessing to other instead of being warehouses !

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:13am On Oct 08, 2014
October 8, 2014.

"HOW TO BE HAPPY (3)"
‘We wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our…Saviour, Jesus Christ.’ Titus 2:13 NIV

Hope brings happiness, but scepticism never can. You may be alive when Christ returns, or you may be resurrected to meet Him in the air. Either way, Jesus is coming again! Don’t let doubters or false date-setters dull your sense of hope. Ray Bakke shares this story: ‘I knew an old Glasgow professor named McDonald, who, along with a Scottish chaplain, was put in a prisoner-of-war camp. A high wire fence separated the Americans from the British, and McDonald was put in the American barracks. The Americans had a little homemade radio and were able to get news from the outside. Every day McDonald would take a headline or two to the fence and share it with the chaplain in the ancient Gaelic language, indecipherable to the Germans. One day news came that the German High Command had surrendered. McDonald took the news to his friend, then watched him disappear into the barracks. A moment later a roar of celebration came from inside. Life in that camp was transformed. Men walked around singing and shouting, waving at the guards, even laughing at the dogs. When the German guards finally heard the news three nights later, they fled into the dark, leaving the gates unlocked. The next morning, Brits and Americans walked out as free men. Yet they had truly been set free three days earlier by the news that the war was over.’ The certainty of Christ’s soon return sets you free to hope, to rejoice in the worst of circumstances, and to live with purpose. For God’s redeemed people, the best is yet to come!

Exodus 7-9, John1: 14-28, Psalm 92, Proverb 26: 1-3.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2014
Thanks Lateef4me for the update...God bless us all
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by nwapastor: 4:49pm On Oct 08, 2014
The certainty of Christ’s soon return sets you free to hope, to rejoice in the worst of circumstances, and to live with purpose.

Wow! Seeing is not always believing.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:44am On Oct 10, 2014
9 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Taking Communion

‘He took bread, blessed and broke it.'

Luke 24:30

9 October 2014

Taking communion can be a meaningless ritual, or an intimate time spent in the presence of Jesus. Read the story of Cleopas and his companion, they were travelling home to Emmaus when Jesus suddenly appeared and walked along with them. First He opened their eyes to see that the crucifixion wasn’t the tragedy they thought, but a fulfilment of prophecy and God’s way to redeem a lost world; something to celebrate and not be sad about. Later, as He sat in their home and ate supper with them, ‘He took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they [knew] Him’ (vv. 30-31 NIV). Are you battling fear and doubt today? Are you wondering if God will keep His promise to you? He will! Earlier that day, Cleopas and his companion met some women who had just been to the empty tomb and reported that Jesus was alive. But try as they might, they couldn’t believe it. This story proves that Jesus loves doubters enough to walk with them, take away their fears, and strengthen their faith. And guess when He did it? As they broke bread. So next time you’re taking communion, stop and pray, ‘Lord, speak to me. Show me Your will and Your way.’ That’s a prayer He will answer. Your mind may be confused and your anxiety great, but if you’re spiritually hungry He will show up and meet you at the point of your need.

Zechariah 9-11, John 2:1-11, Psalm 23, Proverb 23:4-5
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:47am On Oct 10, 2014
10 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

The Importance of Patterns in Marriage

‘Make everything according to the pattern I have shown you.’

Exodus 25:40

10 October 2014

We focus on individual incidents, but the God of the big picture focuses on patterns. He determined twenty-four hours in each day, seven days in each week, four seasons in each year, two people in each marriage, etc. Birth is followed by infancy, childhood, youth, adulthood, old age. Imagine how different your life would be without these patterns! God created us to need patterned lives. Patterns provide predictability, and predictability provides comfort, control and security. Simply knowing that Saturday follows Wednesday helps you get through an exhausting work week. Many of our relational issues would be resolved if we paid more attention to our negative patterns and concentrated on establishing positive ones. Does this conversation sound familiar? The husband asks, ‘Why do you always bring things up just when I’m falling asleep? Can’t you find a better time?’ The wife returns fire, ‘There’s never a better time to get your attention!’ The use of words like ‘always’ and ‘never’ only intensifies the problem. Until you understand and change your patterns, you’ll forever be attempting to put out relational fires. Establishing a simple pattern of spending an hour or two together each week (date night?) assures your wife of a set time to be heard, and your husband an opportunity to listen when he’s alert and responsive. Patterns are God’s idea. The predictability and promise they bring help defuse reactive emotions and establish an environment where you both feel loved and valued!

Zechariah 12-14, John 2:12-25, Psalm 110, Proverb 23:6-9
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:16am On Oct 13, 2014
11 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

The Life God Wants You to Live

‘We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.’

Proverbs 16:9

11 October 2014

Here are three important truths to help you enjoy the life God wants you to live: 1) Believe God wants you to succeed. Give up the unscriptural notion that this life has no value. God has a special work for you to do—here and now (Jeremiah 29:11). You ask, ‘What defines success?’ Answer: the progressive achievement of a God-given goal resulting in feeling good about yourself. ‘Carefully follow the terms of this covenant, so that you may prosper in everything you do’ (Deuteronomy 29:9 NIV). 2) Consult God before you set your goals. The Bible says, ‘We should make plans—counting on God to direct us’ (Proverbs 16:9 TLB). If you’re constantly stressed out and confused, you may be on the wrong track. Go back and check with God; what has He told you to do? It’s His will for you to succeed in these six areas: a) spiritual; b) relational; c) physical; d) mental; e) social; f) financial. ‘Whatever he does shall prosper’ (Psalms 1:3 NKJV). 3) Invest in yourself. ‘Though it cost all you have, get understanding’ (Proverbs 4:7 NIV). If you’re willing to spend money at fine restaurants but not on good books, your future is already determined. And the first book you need to invest in is a Bible. John writes, ‘And the Word was God’ (John 1:1 NIV). That means each time you read God’s Word, you’re depositing more of God into you. Wow! Think how that affects your life! Cultivate a teachable spirit. ‘Let the wise listen and add to their learning’ (Proverbs 1:5 NIV). This is the life God wants you to live!

Malachi 1-4, John 3:1-21, Psalm 89:1-14, Proverb 23:10-14
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:17am On Oct 13, 2014
12 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

When Prayer Is Hard Work (1)

‘Labouring fervently for you in prayers.’

Colossians 4:12

12 October 2014

Paul writes, ‘Epaphras, who is…always labouring fervently for you in prayers.’ Sometimes praying for others feels like ‘labouring’. Once you understand and accept that, not having ‘tingling sensations’ when you pray won’t discourage you. You can smile and tell yourself, ‘This is the way the Bible says it will be sometimes.’ G. Campbell Morgan said, ‘A man may offer a prayer, beautiful in diction and perfect in the number of its petitions. But if it gives him gratification afterwards, that prayer cannot have been truly prayed.’ What did he mean? Simply this: you’ll feel good after you’ve prayed, but your goal isn’t to feel good about the fact that you have prayed, or that you felt particularly good during the process. Observe: 1) Prayer is a duty. It’s like going to work. You do it because it’s a commitment, and because of the rewards it brings. 2) Prayer is a discipline. The old-timers used to talk about ‘praying through’. Through what? Through wandering thoughts, through fatigue, through fears, and every other form of resistance and distraction. When you enter the ‘prayer zone’, satan will fight you at every turn. But when you stand in the name of Jesus, the powers of darkness will retreat and you’ll prevail (John 14:13-14). (3) Prayer is a delight. It won’t happen every time, but if you’re faithful to the place of prayer there’ll be times when your whole being will be conscious that God is present, answering your prayer and giving you guidance. And even when the answer isn’t completely clear, you’ll leave His presence saying, ‘Now I have peace about it.’

Jonah 2, Luke 11:29-36
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:18am On Oct 13, 2014
13 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

When Prayer Is Hard Work (2)

‘Come near to God and he will come near to you.’

James 4:8

13 October 2014

We all want what successful people have; we’re just not willing to pay the price they paid to get it. When you see someone with sculpted abs and a well-toned body, they probably spend time sweating in a gym. There’s a reason Paul talks about ‘labouring…in prayers’ (Colossians 4:12 NKJV). When you pray, you must be passionate, persistent and positive, expecting good things from God. You’ve got to put your heart into it and believe God will do what He promised. It’s not easy to fight off distractions and focus on Him. Don’t expect your fleshly nature to co-operate; it comes to the place of prayer kicking and screaming. And don’t expect your intellect to cheer you on; your self-sufficient nature will always choose prayer as a last resort. But God will urge you, and draw you into His presence. ‘If you draw near to Me, I will draw near to you.’ An unknown poet wrote: ‘I got up early one morning, and rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish, I didn’t have time to pray. Troubles tumbled about me, and heavier came each task; “Why doesn’t God help me?” I wondered. He answered, “You didn’t ask.”…I woke up early this morning, and paused before entering the day. I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.’ Many problems can be resolved, or avoided altogether, when you take time to pray and include God in every part of your day. ‘Oh what peace we often forfeit; oh what needless pain we bear; All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer’ (Joseph M. Scriven: 1855).

1 Cor 1-3, John 3:22-36, Psalm 89:15-37, Proverb 23:15-18

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:19am On Oct 13, 2014
Hello guys ,have a wonderful week ahead !

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:19am On Oct 13, 2014
lateef4me:
Hello guys ,have a wonderful week ahead !
And u too,thanks
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 4:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
[b]TODAYS WORD FOR TODAY
14TH OCTOBER,2014
Growing Through Discouragement

‘Lord, where do I put my hope?’ Psalms 39:7

Here are four suggestions to help you survive and grow through upheavals such as an unexpected job loss, the death of a loved one, a failed marriage or a serious health issue:
1) Admit how you feel.
That doesn’t mean sitting around wallowing in negativity; it means trusting God enough to acknowledge how you really feel.
Pretending things are fine when
they’re not, makes it harder to get
back up. We all have down times. The Psalmist asked God to help him cope with despondency (Psalms 42-43). And at one point Paul was under so much pressure he ‘despaired even of life’ (2 Corinthians 1:8 NKJV).

2)Identify the source. Discouragement often comes on the heels of a setback or disappointment. Did something you set your heart on fall apart? Were your hopes unrealistic to start with? Did somebody let you down? Or is your dejection coming from a generalised feeling of burnout?

3) Talk with a trusted counsellor. Solomon said, ‘The more wise counsel…the better your chances’ (Proverbs 11:14 TM). Don’t let pride prevent you from opening up to those who will listen empathetically and respond wisely. Talking to the
right people can lessen your sense of isolation, and also pave the way for others who are hurting to do the
same.

(4) Be open before God. He, not fate or circumstances, gets to write the last chapter. Maybe He’s trying to teach you something or redirect your energies. David said, ‘Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.’
When your hope is in God, He replaces discouragement with confidence so that what you’re going through can become a path to spiritual growth.

1 Cor 4-6, John 4:1-12, Ps 89:38-52, Pr 23:19-21[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:03am On Oct 15, 2014
Be Flexible

Wednesday, 15 October 2014

'The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord.' Psalm 37:23 NKJV

The Psalmist writes, ‘The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand.’ (Psalm 37:23–24 NKJV)

Observe:

(1) God delights in the fact that you’re willing to step out in faith and try.
(2) He doesn’t guarantee that you won’t stumble, but that ultimately He won’t let you fail.
(3) When you feel like you can’t go on, He will uphold and strengthen you.

What more could you ask for? Now, God never changes, but life does. So you must be ready to adapt to unforeseen circumstances. Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart, is credited with having been a visionary leader. His dream was to provide value to customers in order to improve their lives. But he was notorious for changing plans and abandoning strategies that didn’t work. Sam’s son Jim Walton admitted, ‘We all sniggered at some writers who viewed Dad as a grand strategist who intuitively developed complex plans and implemented them with precision. Dad thrived on change, and no decision was ever sacred.’ What good is a well–planned strategy if it doesn’t yield good results?

To quote Winston Churchill: ‘However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.’ God is more committed to the vision He’s given you than you are. But when He leads you in a new direction, you must be ready to follow Him. Like Israel in the wilderness, when the guiding cloud moved they had to move with it. The same goes for you. So, be flexible.

SoulFood: Exo 25-27; John 3:22-36; Ps 89:15-37; Pro 26:20-22

smiley This is The Word For Today
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
October 16, 2014

THE EYE-OPENING CHRIST
‘Jesus himself came up and walked along with them.’ Luke 24:15 NIV

Following the crucifixion, Cleopas and his companion were on the road that led home to Emmaus. That’s when ‘Jesus himself came up and walked along with them.’ Their hopes lay buried in a tomb; their faith had turned to doubt. So what did Jesus do? He held a Bible study! ‘Jesus took them through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, explaining from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself’ (v. 27 NLT). Jesus knows that when you’re walking the road of doubt, you need to get into His Word and get it into you. When you do, three things happen: 1) Your eyes will be opened. ‘Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him’ (v. 31 NKJV). There are things you will only see when God reveals them to you through His Word. That’s why Bible reading must be one of your highest priorities. 2) Your heart will burn. ‘They said to one another, “Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us?”’ (v. 32 NKJV). When you put God’s Word to work and begin to walk out its precepts, it will energise you and change your life. 3) You’ll want to tell everybody. ‘They rose up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven and those who were with them gathered together, saying, “The Lord is risen indeed”’ (vv. 33-34 NKJV). You say, ‘But I’m timid, and not very good with words.’ When you truly fall in love, you’ll find a way to express it. So today look for an opportunity to tell someone what Jesus has done for you.

Exodus 28-29, John 4: 1-12, Psalm 89: 38-52, Prov 26: 23-26.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
October 17, 2014

THE WORD FROM THE TOP (1)

‘I have talked with you from heaven.’ Exodus 20:22 NKJV

When God gave the Ten Commandments to His people, He said, ‘I have talked with you from heaven.’ In other words, you have ‘the Word from the top’. End of discussion. Just do it! That being said, let’s spend the next few days looking at how the Ten Commandments apply to you. 1) ‘You shall have no other gods before me’ (v. 3 NIV). Have you seen the new all-purpose greeting card? The front says, ‘Generic card’ and the inside reads, ‘Happy whatever!’ The first commandment was designed to stop us from going through life doing whatever we feel like. It grabs us by the collar and says, ‘Hold on, Jesus is supposed to be Lord of your life, so put Him first!’ 2) ‘You shall not make for yourself an idol’ (v. 4 NLT). Now, most of us wouldn’t dream of worshipping an idol. But how about your loyalty to things that have no eternal value, like pleasure, power, position and possessions? Isn’t that idolatry too? Anything that comes before God is an idol. 3) ‘You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God’ (v. 7 NIV). But just because you don’t use profanity doesn’t mean you honour the name of the Lord. As a believer you must honour God in your speech, your conduct and your attitude. The truth is, you are the only Bible many people will ever read. Paul writes, ‘Clearly, you are a letter from Christ showing the result of our ministry among you. This “letter” is written not with pen and ink, but with the Spirit of the living ’ (2 Corinthians 3:3 NLT).

Exodus 30-32, John 4: 13-26, Psalm 100, Prov 26: 27-28.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
18 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

The Word from the Top (2)

‘Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.'

Exodus 20:8

18 October 2014

The fourth commandment says, ‘Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.’ This commandment wasn’t meant to be interpreted in: a) A legalistic way. In Jesus’ day there were over fifteen hundred things the Law of Moses said you couldn’t do on the Sabbath, such as bathing, walking too far, or scratching a flea bite. b) A loose way. The flip side of legalism is licence. We go everywhere on Sunday except to church, then excuse ourselves by saying, ‘I’ll be there in spirit,’ or ‘I feel closer to God on the golf course or the beach.’ That doesn’t wash with God! c) A limited way. You can’t attend church on Sunday and ignore God the rest of the week. He’s not just Lord of the Sabbath, He’s Lord of your life. Here’s what the Sabbath was designed to be: 1) A day of rest. Restoration begins with rest. Somebody said, ‘When you love what you do, it’s not work.’ That may be true, but that philosophy can lead to burnout and breakdown. David said, ‘He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul’ (Psalms 23:2-3 NKJV). Note the word ‘still’. Every seventh day God calls ‘time out’. 2) A day of restoration. Toward the end of his life, Bible commentator William Barclay said, ‘I’m old, and I’ve learned that there are very few things in life that really matter—but those few things matter intensely.’ Worshiping with other believers matters because it highlights those things which are important to God, like His Word, His will, His worship, His call, His grace and His family.

1 Cor 15-16, John 5:1-15, Psalm 41, Proverb 24:5-6

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
19 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

The Word from the Top (3)

‘Honour your father and your mother.’

Exodus 20:12

19 October 2014

In the fifth commandment, God says, ‘Honour your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.’ That means children must respect their parents, and parents must prove worthy of respect. Abraham and Lot were from the same family, but there was a big difference in their parenting styles. And it showed up dramatically at the destruction of Sodom. Concerning Abraham, God said, ‘I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him’ (Genesis 18:19 NIV). Before God destroyed Sodom, we read: ‘The two men (angels) said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here…Get them out …because we are going to destroy this place”…So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law…He said, “Hurry and get out of this place, because the Lord is about to destroy the city!” But his sons-in-law thought he was joking’ (Genesis 19:12-14 NIV). Do you have credibility with your children? Do they take you seriously? Here are two quotes from history every parent needs to think long and hard about. The first is from evangelist Billy Sunday: ‘The tragedy of my life is that although I’ve led thousands of people to Jesus Christ, my own sons are not saved.’ The second is from Lord Houghton: ‘The Christian home is the Master’s workshop where the processes of character moulding are silently, lovingly, faithfully and successfully carried on.’

Isaiah 11:1-10, Luke 2:21-38

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Summon The Demon Clauneck For Wealth (tips To A Successful Money Drawing) / "Self Defence Is Your Right" - Pastor Paul Enenche (Video) / $1k Seed: Kasali To Funke Adejumo "Judgement Is Coming On You Soon"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.