Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,164 members, 7,811,371 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20862 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 11:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
[b]21st October,2014

The Word from the Top (5)

‘You shall not commit adultery.’ Exodus 20:14

The seventh commandment says, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But Jesus takes it one step further by saying, ‘Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery…in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better…to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell’ (Matthew
5:28-29 NIV).

You’re not responsible for what you see, but you are responsible for what you continue to look at. Paul told Timothy, ‘Flee… youthful lusts’ (2 Timothy 2:22 NKJV);
and James writes, ‘After desire has
conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death’ (James 1:15 NIV).

Immorality in practice or in thought can result in the death of your marriage, your self-respect, your influence, and your joy.
In ‘The Door’, theologian Mike
Yaconelli writes: ‘Author Susan Howatch made a fortune writing
blockbuster novels…She had houses
in several countries, drove a Porsche, and after divorcing had a number of “transient liaisons”. But at age thirty, she said, “God seized me by the scruff of the neck and shook me until my teeth rattled.” Now a Christian, she reflects: “I was promiscuous, but finally one morning I woke up and said, ‘What am I trying to prove, and to whom?’ I knew exactly what—that even though my marriage broke up I could still attract men. The fact that I could control men boosted my
fractured ego.”
What was her conclusion? Promiscuity is a sign you’re not aligned right with God or yourself.’

Ex 4-6, John 5:31-47, Ps 5, Pr 24:8-9[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 2:17pm On Oct 22, 2014
[b]The Word from the Top (6)

‘You shall not steal.’ Exodus 20:15

The eighth commandment says, ‘You shall not steal.’ Think how strange this commandment must have seemed to the Israelites. As a nomad society, thieving and looting had always been acceptable in their culture—even expected. But God said, ‘That day is over. Stealing distorts your priorities. It makes things more important than
people. It violates the rights of others by saying, “I’m more important than you.” So from this day on I want you to be rigorously honest in all your
dealings.’ But there’s another kind of stealing, the kind some Christians
think nothing of practising. The Bible says: ‘Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. But you ask, “How do we rob you?” In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me.
Bring the whole tithe into the
storehouse, that there may be food in my house. “Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops…the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit…Then all the
nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land”’ (Malachi 3:8-12 NIV). When you rob God, you end up robbing yourself. ‘Robbing myself of what?’ you ask:

1) God’s blessing in your life.

2) His protection when times get tough.

3) The privilege of sharing His goodness with the people around you. Is it really worth it? Think about it!

Ex 7-9, John 6:1-24, Ps 126, Pr 24:10[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:29am On Oct 23, 2014
Thursday October 23, 2014

THE WORD FROM THE TOP (7)

‘You shall not give false testimony.’ Exodus 20:16 NIV

The ninth commandment says, ‘You shall not give false testimony against your neighbour.’ Why do we lie? For lots of reasons: to escape the consequences of our actions; to avoid paying our dues; to create a false image; to convince others we’re something we’re not. But it doesn’t work; time and truth force deception to surface—literally! In 1996 the body of the former ambassador to Switzerland was buried in Arlington National Cemetery, America’s resting place for war heroes. The granite tombstone read, ‘S1C [Seaman First Class] U.S. Merchant Marine.’ But according to investigative reporters, Don Van Natta Jr. and Elaine Sciolino, in a 1997 issue of ‘The New York Times’, cemetery workers hauled the tombstone away and exhumed the casket. The reason? The man lied. For years he told others he’d served on the Coast Guard ship Horace Bushnell during World War II. He said the Germans torpedoed the ship and he’d been thrown overboard, sustaining a head injury. But the record shows that at the time he said he was serving in the Merchant Marine, he was actually attending Wilbur Wright College in Chicago. The Coast Guard had no record of his having served in the Merchant Marine, or having earned the rank of Seaman First Class. Somehow the lie wasn’t discovered when the State Department investigated his background and he was made an ambassador. As a result, his remains were buried in Arlington Cemetery, and his tombstone engraved with a lie. But the truth came out, as it always does, and posterity now knows the facts. Think about that, the next time you’re tempted to spin a story that’s less than truthful.

Isaiah 4-7, John 5: 31-47, Psalm 5, Proverb 27: 13-16.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:32am On Oct 23, 2014
The week is gradually coming to a close . Thank God for His protection !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:23am On Oct 25, 2014
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

The Word from the Top (cool

‘You shall not covet.’

Exodus 20:17

24 October 2014

In the last of the Ten Commandments, God told His people: ‘You shall not covet your neighbour’s house…[nor] your neighbour’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.’ Coveting means grasping and craving for things that don’t belong to you. Haddon Robinson said, ‘Covetousness is simply craving more of what you have enough of already’. It’s why Paul writes, ‘Godliness with contentment is great gain’ (1 Timothy 6:6 NKJV). In his book of sermons, ‘Feminine Faces’, Dr. Clovis Chappell writes: ‘When Pompeii was being excavated there was found a body that had been embalmed by the ashes of Vesuvius. It was that of a woman. Her feet were turned toward the city gate, but her face was turned backward toward something that lay just beyond her outstretched hands. The prize which those frozen fingers were reaching for was a bag of pearls. Maybe she herself had dropped them as she was fleeing for her life. Maybe she had found them where they had been dropped by another. But be that as it may, though death was hard at her heels and life was beckoning to her beyond the city gates, she could not shake off their spell. She turned to pick them up, and death was her reward. But it was not the eruption of Vesuvius that made her love pearls more than life. It only froze her in this attitude of greed.’ There’s nothing wrong with wanting more in life, as long as you’re enjoying the things God has already given you, and you’re sharing them with others.

Exodus 13-15, John 6:35-51, Psalm 98, Proverb 24:15-18

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:24am On Oct 25, 2014
25 OCTOBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Be Tenacious

‘But none of these things move me.’

Acts 20:24

25 October 2014

Paul writes: ‘The Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy’ (vv. 23-24 NKJV). Dr. John Maxwell says one day when he was discouraged and tempted to quit, he took out a dictionary and looked up the word ‘quit’. After spending a few minutes considering that option, in a symbolic act of defiance he took out his scissors and cut the word right out of his dictionary. It didn’t make his problems go away, but it sure did strengthen his resolve. When every avenue looks like a dead end and you feel as if you’ve exhausted every possibility—you haven’t. There are always other ways, other options, other opportunities. Even if you don’t see them right now, they are there. So don’t give up. Former heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey once said, ‘A champion is one who gets back up when he can’t.’ People who reach their goal keep going when they think they can’t. They’re tenacious, and as a result they keep moving closer to their goal day by day. Some days they may be moving only a few inches at a time, but they’re moving forward. They believe in their God-given destiny, they believe in themselves, and they say so. Now, saying you believe in yourself won’t guarantee your success, but saying you don’t believe in yourself will guarantee your failure. The truth is you’re not alone, God is with you. ‘He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak’ (Isaiah 40:29 NIV). So be tenacious!        

Exodus 16-18, John 6:52-71, Psalm 127, Proverb 24:19-22

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 9:38am On Oct 25, 2014
@Lateef4me,
Keep up the God work. God bless you. The words for today messages are inspiring.

'You’re not responsible for what you see, but you are responsible for what you continue to look at. '

Powerful word.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by alakara(m): 4:32pm On Oct 26, 2014
Wat of today own lateef
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:58pm On Oct 26, 2014
Be Strong in the Lord

Monday, 27 October 2014

'Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.' Ephesians 6:10 NIV

The Bible says, ‘Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on all of God’s armour so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh–and–blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armour so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.

Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armour of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.’ (Ephesians 6:10–18 NLT)

The way to make a comeback is to get back up and move forward. Winning consists of getting up one more time than you were knocked down. Booker T. Washington said, ‘Success is not measured by the heights one attains, but by the obstacles one overcomes in its attainment.’ The God you serve is bigger than the obstacles you face. The strength He provides is greater than the forces arrayed against you. So be strong in the Lord!

SoulFood: Isa 17-21; John 6:35-51; Ps 98; Pro 27:23-24

smiley This is The Word For Today

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:03am On Oct 27, 2014
alakara:
Wat of today own lateef
welcome to the family..
U can check this thread everyday for update on the word..
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:06am On Oct 27, 2014
Thanks Alwaystrue and Lateef4me for the update....
I believe u guys are doing fine??
want to wish u a nice week ahead

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Havilah93(m): 10:06am On Oct 27, 2014
Thumbs up to the OP @ odunharry and the frequent updaters of this thread. It's a job well done.

As you start this new week, in whatever you do, don't ever
give up. Even though it may seem difficult and you feel like throwing in the towel, look within yourself. You'recapable!

New post: Stopping Self doubt

@ www.havilah93.

Have a great week ahead
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:23am On Oct 27, 2014
Havilah93:
Thumbs up to the OP @ odunharry and the frequent updaters of this thread. It's a job well done.

As you start this new week, in whatever you do, don't ever
give up. Even though it may seem difficult and you feel like throwing in the towel, look within yourself. You'recapable!

New post: Stopping Self doubt

@ www.havilah93.

Have a great week ahead
u too....will visit ur blog
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Havilah93(m): 10:32am On Oct 27, 2014
Odunharry:

u too....will visit ur blog

Thanks. Don't forget to drop your comments. smiley
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:21pm On Oct 27, 2014
Get Rid of the Non-Essentials

Tuesday, 28 October 2014 00:05

'Let us lay aside every weight... and let us run.' Hebrews 12:1 NKJV

In the days of the Roman Empire, Olympic runners practised with heavy weights strapped to their bodies. But on the day of the race all the weights were stripped from them; hence we are told in Scripture, ‘Let us lay aside every weight… and let us run.’ When Elijah passed by, Elisha was busy ploughing. This was Elisha’s moment of opportunity. He could become a prophet and enjoy twice the success of his new mentor. But first he had to be willing to break his plough and sacrifice his yoke of oxen. His plough and oxen represented the financial security he was willing to walk away from in order to fulfil God’s plan for his life.

Think for a moment about your dream, and everything that will result from it. If you’re like most people, what comes to mind are the benefits you’ll receive, the places you’ll go, the people you’ll meet, the things you’ll own, and the position or title you’ll earn. Do you notice anything in particular about that list? It outlines all the things that will be added to you, and none of the things you’ll have to give up in order to achieve it. And your greatest challenge won’t be giving up the obvious things you know will hurt you; it’ll be giving up the good things you like but won’t help you.

Removing the non–essentials from your daily routine will be a constant struggle, but it’s worth fighting for. Why? Because most people who fail to reach their destination aren’t stopped because of insurmountable barriers, but because they’re worn out trying to carry too many things on their journey.

SoulFood: Isa 22-25; John 6:52-71; Ps 127; Pro 27:25-27

smiley This is The Word For Today
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:36am On Oct 29, 2014
[b]Love Your Pastor

Wednesday, 29 October 2014

'He...gave some to be...pastors.'
Ephesians 4:11 NKJV

Pastors have a tough job. They
get more kicks than kisses. If a
pastor is young, he lacks
experience; if he’s grey–haired,
he’s too old. If he has five kids,
he has too many; if he has none, he’s setting a bad example. If his
wife sings in the choir, she’s
being forward; if not, she’s not
dedicated enough. If he preaches
from notes, he’s dry; if his words
are impromptu, he’s too shallow. If he spends too much time in his
study, he’s neglecting his people;
if he makes home visits, he’s not
a good time manager. If he’s
attentive to the poor, he’s after
public approval; if he attends to the wealthy, he’s ingratiating. If
he suggests improvements, he’s
a dictator; if he doesn’t, he has no
vision. If he uses too many
illustrations, he neglects the Bible;
if he doesn’t use enough stories, he’s unclear. If he speaks against
wrong, he’s legalistic; if he
doesn’t, he’s a compromiser. If he
preaches for an hour, he’s windy;
less than that, he has nothing to
say. If he preaches the truth, he’s offensive; if he doesn’t, he’s
wishy–washy. If he fails to please
everybody, he’s hurting the
church; if he tries to please
everybody, he has no
convictions. If he preaches tithing, he’s a money–grabber; if
not, he’s failing to develop his
people. If he receives a large
salary, he’s mercenary; if he
doesn’t, it proves he’s not worth
much. If he preaches on a regular basis, people get tired of hearing
the same person; if he invites
guest preachers, he’s shirking his
responsibility. Wow! And you
thought your pastor had an easy
life! How’d you like to change places? Bottom line: love your
pastor.

Soul Food: Isa 26-29; John
7:1-13; Ps 114; Pro 28:1-4[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by brocab: 12:19am On Oct 30, 2014
"You forgot one more"when your pastor buys large houses, lands, fancy cars, aeroplanes, mega business, Knowing that man is not justified by the works of the law' "but by faith in Jesus Christ". Pastors-would tell the church you are cursed if you don't pay tithes, they will use Malachi 3 using it as a weapon against God's people to only receive a large pay packet each week. You are cursed with a curse, for you have robbed me. But you say, "In what way have we robbed, "You? In tithes and offerings. bring all your tithes into the storehouse. Galatians 3-10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them." But no-one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "The just shall live by faith." Yet the law is not of faith."The man who does them shall live by them." Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law. {Tithing was part of that law} Which many of our beloved pastors-preachers preach on the tithing laws. 1 Timothy 6 Men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose the Godliness is the means of Gain{Money} The lord say's-from such withdraw yourselves. "Yeh" love your pastor.
Odunharry:
[b]Love Your Pastor

Wednesday, 29 October 2014

'He...gave some to be...pastors.'
Ephesians 4:11 NKJV

Pastors have a tough job. They
get more kicks than kisses. If a
pastor is young, he lacks
experience; if he’s grey–haired,
he’s too old. If he has five kids,
he has too many; if he has none, he’s setting a bad example. If his
wife sings in the choir, she’s
being forward; if not, she’s not
dedicated enough. If he preaches
from notes, he’s dry; if his words
are impromptu, he’s too shallow. If he spends too much time in his
study, he’s neglecting his people;
if he makes home visits, he’s not
a good time manager. If he’s
attentive to the poor, he’s after
public approval; if he attends to the wealthy, he’s ingratiating. If
he suggests improvements, he’s
a dictator; if he doesn’t, he has no
vision. If he uses too many
illustrations, he neglects the Bible;
if he doesn’t use enough stories, he’s unclear. If he speaks against
wrong, he’s legalistic; if he
doesn’t, he’s a compromiser. If he
preaches for an hour, he’s windy;
less than that, he has nothing to
say. If he preaches the truth, he’s offensive; if he doesn’t, he’s
wishy–washy. If he fails to please
everybody, he’s hurting the
church; if he tries to please
everybody, he has no
convictions. If he preaches tithing, he’s a money–grabber; if
not, he’s failing to develop his
people. If he receives a large
salary, he’s mercenary; if he
doesn’t, it proves he’s not worth
much. If he preaches on a regular basis, people get tired of hearing
the same person; if he invites
guest preachers, he’s shirking his
responsibility. Wow! And you
thought your pastor had an easy
life! How’d you like to change places? Bottom line: love your
pastor.

Soul Food: Isa 26-29; John
7:1-13; Ps 114; Pro 28:1-4[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:57am On Oct 30, 2014
October 30, 2014

THREE ALL-IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

‘Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get.’ Ephesians 5:15-16

Following a plan is like using a GPS device (Global Positioning System). If it knows where you are, you tell it where you want to go, and it creates a personalised road map. The difference between a GPS and you is you have to create all your own turn-by-turn directions. Mark Twain said, ‘The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting the first one.’ To reach your destination you must ask yourself three questions: 1) What’s my present position? It’s impossible to ignore the reality of where you are right now and still be successful. The former CEO of General Electric observed, ‘Strategic management is trying to understand where you will sit in tomorrow’s world, not where you hope to sit; it’s assessing where you want to be, and where you can be.’ 2) What’s my desired destination? Write down what your dream will look like when you’ve achieved it. Henry J. Kaiser, founder of Kaiser-Permanente health care system, said, ‘The evidence is overwhelming that you cannot begin to achieve your best unless you have some aim in life.’ 3) What are the in-between steps? Don’t expect them to be quick or easy. Creativity is messy. It’s far from an exact science. But unless you know where you want to go and identify the steps that will get you there, ten years from now you’ll still be where you are today. So the word for you today is: ‘Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get.’

Isaiah 30-33, John 7: 14-24, Psalm 104: 1-23, Proverb 28: 5-8.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:10am On Oct 31, 2014
October 31, 2014

THE POWER OF PRAYER

Pray without ceasing 1 Thessa 5:17

When the Bible says, ‘Pray without ceasing,’ that means pray every day, not just periodically or when you’re in trouble. ‘The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much’ (James 5:16 NKJV). The word ‘fervent’ means passionate, persistent and determined. It’s not the number of our prayers, how many they are; nor the rhetoric of our prayers, how eloquent they may be; nor the geometry of our prayers, how long they may be; nor the music of our prayers, how sweet our voice may be; nor the logic of our prayers, how argumentative they may be; nor the method of our prayers, how orderly they may be; nor even the theology of our prayers, how good the doctrine is, that God responds to. Fervency of spirit is what ‘avails much’. The most powerful thing you can do is pray! And when you join with a prayer partner, your potential is awesome. ‘If two of you agree on earth concerning anything that [you] ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven’ (Matthew 18:19 NKJV). It works like this: the less you pray, the less you want to pray; the more you pray, the more you want to pray. Nothing will motivate you to pray like answered prayer. But you can’t start with the answer; you’ve got to start with the prayer! Here’s a fact of life: we only keep doing what rewards us. So the key to building a great prayer life is to pray until you get answers. Think how deeply rooted doubt can become in our hearts when we’re actually surprised to find our prayers answered! So pray in faith and expect God to answer!

Deuteronomy 18: 9-18, Daniel 2, Isaiah 47: 5-15, Acts 16: 16-34.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:45am On Oct 31, 2014
"The most powerful thing you can do is pray! And when you join with a prayer partner, your potential is awesome "

The line above is what most believers are missing . The power,potentials and possibilities we get when we go on our knees . Nothing moves God's hands to act like aggressive prayers of His saints !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:19am On Nov 01, 2014
[b]TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY
November 1,2014

Platforms

‘Ezra…stood on a platform…which
they had made for the purpose.’ Nehemiah 8:4

Standing on a specially-built platform within Jerusalem’s newly-built walls, Ezra the scribe read God’s Word to the people for six hours. As he read it they wept, worshipped, and went home rejoicing.

Think: God’s Word is so powerful that all you have to do is expose people to it and their lives are
changed.
Notice the words, ‘Ezra… stood on a platform…they had made for the purpose.’
When the printing press was invented, one of the first books produced was the Bible. It gave
birth to the Reformation, influenced
the Industrial Revolution, and
changed the world. Now fast-forward to the age of the Internet. Today we have a ‘platform’ capable of reaching every level of society, all the way to the most remote corners of the earth.
Instead of complaining about the
garbage on the Internet, become an
Internet evangelist, teacher,
counsellor or encourager. Don’t let the enemy monopolise it! ‘Those who turn many to righteousness [will shine] like the stars forever and ever’ (Daniel 12:3NKJV).
A geologist-turned-missionary
was asked by a large oil company to
go to work for them in the country where he ministered. His annual salary would be more than he’d earn in his entire lifetime as a missionary. But he said, ‘No.’ When they asked, ‘Isn’t the salary high enough?’ he replied, ‘The salary’s high enough; the job isn’t!’ Jesus said, ‘When I have been lifted…I
will draw all people toward Me’ (John 12:32 GWT). And we have been given a platform to reach the world—let’s use it!

Chron 17:1-20, Heb 11:4 - 12:3, Ps 18:20-29 , Pr 4:18[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by alakara(m): 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
Lateef and harry, weldone for job well done.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:30am On Nov 02, 2014
November 2, 2014.

CONFRONT YOUR FEAR

‘Don’t be afraid…I am with you.’ Isaiah 41:10 NLT

There are different kinds of fear. There’s the kind that warns you to stay away from fire. There’s the kind that cultivates respect for God (Psalms 2:11). Oswald Chambers said, ‘When you fear God, you don’t have to fear anything else.’ There’s fear that makes you feel helpless; sometimes it’s rooted in parental criticism or a bully’s threats, and although it’s groundless, it still haunts you. There’s the fear of failing, which if left unchallenged becomes the father of failure. Job said, ‘What I feared has come upon me’ (Job 3:25 NIV). There’s fear of the unknown where your imagination runs amok. What if you never meet the ‘right person’, or you lose your job, or the biopsy confirms the worst? Over and over in His Word God says, ‘Don’t be afraid…I am with you.’ Paul Tournier notes: ‘Life and faith always insist on moving on—and I cannot move forward without leaving something behind. The trapeze artist must let go of one trapeze at precisely the right moment and hover in the void before grabbing the other. Faith calls us out of our comfort zone…to learn new skills and minister in different ways.’ But we get uptight. We think, ‘What if God asks me to do something I can’t do?’ or ‘I don’t have the strength, wisdom, or faith.’ If you were relying on your own resources, you’d be in trouble. But the fact is, ‘God…knew you and chose you’ (1 Peter 1:2 NLT). Every time you meet a new challenge He strengthens you by proving that He not only supplies the tools, but is responsible for the outcome.

Isaiah 38-41, John 7: 45-53, Psalm 9, Proverb 28: 13-16
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2014
lateef4me thanks for the update
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:29am On Nov 03, 2014
The Word For Today
Monday November 3, 2014

CONFRONT YOUR FEAR (2)

‘Not in human wisdom but in the power of God.’ 1 Corinthians 2:5

One of the greatest breakthroughs in modern psychology is the Law of Reversibility. It works like this: when you feel a certain way, you act accordingly. And when you don’t feel like doing something, but you do it anyway, that same dynamic creates the feeling consistent with your actions. Dallas Willard put it like this: ‘You can live opposite of what you profess, but you can’t live opposite of what you believe. Invariably what you believe is revealed by what you do.’ Because fear is a learned response, it can be unlearned. There are two kinds of courage. The first kind calls for action. President Andrew Jackson said, ‘Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in. One man with courage makes a majority.’ The second kind calls for patience: the tenacity to keep persevering after you’ve done your best and before you’ve seen results. Often the difference between a hero and a coward is that a hero hangs in there five minutes longer! When you run from intimidating situations, fear multiplies until eventually it controls your life. But when you tackle your problems head-on, ‘not in human wisdom but in the power of God’, your confidence rises until you reach a point where you’re no longer controlled by fear. William Cowper wrote: ‘God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform. He plants His footsteps in the sea and rides upon the storm. Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take; the clouds ye so much dread, are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head.’

Acts 9: 1-19, 2 Cor 11: 21-33, 2 Cor 12: 7-10, Phil 3: 4-14.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:41am On Nov 03, 2014
Thank God for daily revealing His minds to us . Have a wonderful and hitch free week ahead !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2014
Tuesday November 4, 2014.

LIVE FOR GOD UNTIL YOUR LAST BREATH

With long life will I satisfy Him.’ Psalms 91:16 NKJV

WHEN ASKED, ‘How do you grow old so gracefully?’ Alexandre Dumas replied, ‘Because I give all my time to it.’ If you’re over fifty, let your age be measured by your spiritual progress instead of a date on the calendar. How would you like to have these words engraved on your headstone? ‘Enoch lived…365 years. Enoch walked …with God; then he was no more, because God took him away’ (Genesis 5:23-24 NIV). Picture this: Enoch goes for a walk with God and when they reach a certain point, God says, ‘It’s closer to My house than yours, so just come home with Me.’ Like an old oak tree, a mature Christian’s roots have weathered life’s storms. But don’t take your wisdom to the grave with you; share it with people who’ll listen. And those who are wise will listen, because they recognise the foolishness of paying twice for the same information. Don’t retire—refocus. Victor Hugo once said, ‘Forty is old age to youth, fifty is youth to old age.’ With God, availability, not age, is what counts. The Bible says: ‘There was…a prophetess, Anna…she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshipped night and day, fasting and praying. Coming up to them (Mary and Joseph with the Christ child) at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all’ (Luke 2:36-38 NIV). The world respects ex-generals and ex-presidents, but not ex-Christians. A respected character actor said, ‘As we grow older we must discipline ourselves to continue expanding, broadening, learning, keeping our minds active and open.’ So live for God until your last breath.

Isaiah 42-44, John 8 : 1-20, Psalm 96, Proverb 28 : 17-20.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:08am On Nov 05, 2014
Wednesday November 5, 2014.

MASTER

‘Master…because you say so, I will.’ Luke 5:5 NIV

The disciples were overwhelmed by a sense of failure: ‘We have toiled all night and caught nothing’ (v. 5 NKJV). Look at them, washing their nets—the last thing fishermen do before they pack up and head for home. And that’s when Jesus showed up! He waits until you’ve reached the end of your rope, then He steps in. Why? Because as long as you think you can solve the problem on your own, you won’t reach for Him. Do you feel overwhelmed by failure today? Are you saying, ‘Lord, I tried so hard, but look at my marriage, my finances, my career. I’ve been mistreated and overlooked. Perhaps they’re right about me; maybe I’m not supposed to be blessed.’ No, Jesus can turn your situation around if you’ll go to Him and say what Peter said: ‘Master…because you say so, I will.’ Obedience, even when it doesn’t seem to make sense, is what leads to blessing. Notice what happened next: ‘They caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break’ (v. 6 NIV). On the other side of your decision to obey God waits a blessing so great that it’ll also touch the lives of those around you. One word changed everything—‘Master’. It’s an expression of worship. It’s an acknowledgment that He’s in control of the circumstances you’re facing. Master over weakness. Master over fear. Master over lack. Go ahead and say it: ‘Master, take control of things. Better still, take control of me.’ Jesus had bigger things in mind for the disciples. After this miracle we read, ‘They…left everything and followed Him’ (v. 11 NIV).

Isaiah 45-48, John 8: 21-30, Psalm 86, Proverb 28: 21-24.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Pchizy: 9:02am On Nov 05, 2014
I cal him Master over all sickness.
Plz join faith and pray for me, I trust God that He will totally heal me and I will become strong again.
I feel heavy on my heart, feeling as if squeezing, atimes looks as if my heart beats fast, i walk as if no coordination, feeling dizzy. I Trust GOD that my sound health is unstoppable. Pray for me. I thank God for you

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 9:11am On Nov 05, 2014
Waow, congrats guys. We hit front page. Let us keep publishing the word. It is a word in season to someone out there and all of us.

@Pchizy,
By Jesus stripes you are healed. Be healed and be made whole and walk in it in Jesus name.

3 Likes

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:42am On Nov 05, 2014
Alwaystrue:
Waow, congrats guys. We hit front page. Let us keep publishing the word. It is a word in season to someone out there and all of us.
@Pchizy,
By Jesus stripes you are healed. Be healed and be made whole and walk in it in Jesus name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

MMM: 10 Things That Will Happen To Churches That Promoted Scheme– Pastor Adelaja / Re:The Only Saviour / $1k Seed: Kasali To Funke Adejumo "Judgement Is Coming On You Soon"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.