Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20889 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2014
Wednesday November 19, 2014.

STRESSED OUT ABOUT MONEY? (1)

‘Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.’ Psalms 56:3 NKJV

The solution to financial worry isn’t necessarily having more money. Indeed, the more money you have, the more you have to lose. And the thought of losing it can cause you to worry more, not less. It’s a vicious circle. Trying to find security in money is like tying a boat to a dock; when a big enough storm comes along, the ropes will break and it’ll be swept away. So since we all wonder when the next economic storm will hit, what’s the answer? More rope? Stronger rope? Tighter knots? No—that just gives you knots in your stomach! For the next few days let’s look at some Bible answers to money worries: Tackle your fear head-on. The Psalmist said, ‘Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.’ Now, since David was a king, he probably didn’t worry a lot about money. But he did worry about his enemies stalking him, catching him off guard and killing him. We each have different areas of worry, and the ones that control us are called ‘core fears’. Sometimes you can keep them at bay; other times they control and consume you and make you act in ways you’re not proud of. Christian financial advisor Ron Blue says that for years he was trapped by the fear of not having enough money, or losing what he had. The people around him didn’t know it, but that’s what drove him. Today he’s a best-selling author and financial counsellor to multitudes. But to get there he had to confront his core fear, and trust more in God than he did in himself. And so will you.

Ecclesiastes 5-8, John 11: 38-57, Psalm 81, Proverbs 30: 11-14.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:47am On Nov 20, 2014
Thursday, November 20, 2014

STRESSED OUT ABOUT MONEY? (2)

'God has not given us a spirit of fear.’ 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV

To overcome financial anxiety, you must: 1) Understand where your anxiety comes from. Unless your name is Bill Gates, the chances are that you’ll experience some degree of financial anxiety. But when fear becomes your fixed state of mind, something’s wrong; it’s time to unwrap the package. Fear can be hereditary, passed from generation to generation. And it can trap you in a cycle that’s hard to break. But you can break it! Gideon tore down the altar where his family had worshipped idols for generations—and they were angry with him when he did it (Judges 6:25-30). But Gideon knew that in order to win in life, he must trust in nobody but God. 2) Rise above your past failures. Have you made bad investments and now you’re afraid to take a risk? Are you hoarding as a hedge against future failure? Here’s the problem: nothing ventured, nothing gained! In football, the players who score the most goals are often the ones who miss the most chances. But they keep trying because if they don’t aim for the goal they can’t win. A barn filled with seed doesn’t produce a harvest. Furthermore, when the farmer plants his seed, drought and frost and pests can wipe him out. Yet if he doesn’t plant, failure is guaranteed. Getting the idea?
3) Anticipate God’s goodness. As you get older you become more risk-averse, more inclined to look for a safe harbour. That’s understandable, but you can’t let fear control your life. David wrote, ‘Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life’ (Psalms 23:6 NKJV). When God’s goodness is what you’re believing for—God’s goodness is what you’ll ‘surely’ get!

Ecclesiastes 9-12, John 12: 1-11, Psalm 76, Proverb 30: 15-17.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:47am On Nov 21, 2014
Friday November 21, 2014

THREE THINGS WE OWE EACH OTHER

‘Encouraged…by…mutual faith.’ Romans 1:12 NKJV

Paul talks about three things we owe each other. Let’s look at them: 1) ‘Without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers’ (v. 9 NKJV). An unknown poet wrote, ‘I was a poor soul in the depth of despair, who climbed to the heights in answer to prayer.’ You can show no greater love and concern for someone than to say, ‘I’m praying for you,’ and do it! Prayer invites God into the situation and authorises the forces of heaven to go to work and bring change. 2) ‘I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established’ (v. 11 NKJV). What did Paul long for? The chance to strengthen his fellow believers, and he was willing to travel a long way at great personal risk to do it. When two people decide to recognise and nurture the God-given gifts in each other, not only are they blessed personally, everybody around them benefits too. 3) ‘That I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.’ Notice the words ‘encouraged’ and ‘mutual faith’. There are powerful dynamics at work here! First, we pray for one another. Second, we recognise and nurture God’s gifts in one another. Third, we unite our faith and focus on a shared goal. Jesus said: ‘If two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them’ (Matthew 18:19-20 NKJV).

Genesis 1-3, John 12: 12-19, Psalm 102: 1-11, Proverbs 30: 18-20.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:52am On Nov 21, 2014
Praying for each other ! What a powerful weapon for upholding and strenghtening those who are weak and in dire need of Saviour's touch ....
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:19am On Nov 23, 2014
22 NOVEMBER 2014

Getting Them Through the Teenage Years

‘Use wisdom and understanding to establish your home.’

Proverbs 24:3

When you’re the parent of a ‘teen in transition’, it’s important to find the right blend of correction, instruction, motivation and praise. Instead of focusing on behaviour you don’t want, praise and reward behaviour you want more of. If your child feels like you’re always ‘on their back’ instead of ‘on their team’ about how they dress, their friends, their music, etc., they’ll resist you at every turn. The Bible says about parenting: a) ‘Children, obey your parents’ (Ephesians 6:1 NKJV). b) ‘Don’t exasperate your children by coming down hard on them’ (Ephesians 6:4 TM). Use the carrot and stick approach. If you’re all ‘stick’ and no ‘carrot’ you’ll provoke them into rebelling, going undercover and cutting off communication. And if you grew up in a home where you were never praised or rewarded, you’ll have to work harder to break the cycle. Exploding at your teen just teaches them to handle their own anger explosively. Expect to be shocked and be prepared to respond constructively. If you take their mood swings and inconsistencies personally, you’ll end up reacting in ways you regret. Do you remember your own adolescence and how you felt about your parents’ opinions, tastes and rules? Mark Twain said: ‘When I was fourteen my dad was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. But when I got to be twenty-one I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years!’ If you’re raising a teen, here are two Scriptures worth remembering: ‘Love never fails’ (1 Corinthians 13:8 NKJV). ‘Use wisdom and understanding to establish your home.’

Isaiah 53-57, John 12:37-50, Psalm 102:18-28, Proverb 27:13-16
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:20am On Nov 23, 2014
Sunday November 23, 2014

YOU’RE A ‘PRIEST’ AT WORK (1)

‘Be fruitful…multiply…and govern.’ Genesis 1:28 NLT

If you want to know God’s original intention for each of us, look at Adam. ‘God created human beings in his own image…Then God blessed them and said, ‘‘Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it’’’ (vv. 27-28 NLT). We were created to be productive, to multiply and to govern. And every profession known to man is encapsulated in those three words. A priest is one who represents God on behalf of others, and others on behalf of God. But in reality, that was the original description of all of us. We were made in God’s image to continue His work of making the earth flourish, and by our flourishing, give voice to the whole earth to praise God. All work was designed by God to be priestly work. It’s not just professional clergy or missionaries who are called by God, nor are they more pleasing or important to Him. Bible scholar N.T. Wright paints a wonderful image of this concept. Picture human beings as mirrors set at a 45-degree angle between heaven and earth. We were created to reflect God’s care and dominion of the earth, and reflect the worship and gratitude of creation back to God. This is what we do when we work. You have a calling. You are gifted. You are a priest. This isn’t just something that relates to volunteering at church. Your work is a primary place—maybe the primary place where your calling gets lived out. When you start seeing yourself as ‘ordained by God’ to do the job you do, it’ll put a smile on your face, a spring in your step, and add dignity to your work.

Genesis 7-9, John 12: 37-50, Psalm 102: 18-28, Proverb 30: 24-28.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:18am On Nov 24, 2014
Monday November 24, 2014

YOU’RE A ‘PRIEST’ AT WORK (2)

‘You are a…priesthood.’ 1 Peter 2:9 NIV

In his book Habits of the Heart, sociologist Robert N. Bellah describes three attitudes people have towards their work. The first group treats it as a job. When you do this, you see it strictly as a way to make money and pay the bills. Like the bumper sticker says, ‘I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.’ But if your main focus is on what you receive from your work, you’ll most likely come to resent it. The second group approaches work as a career. Here your motivation will be higher, but your focus is on advancement and prestige. That means, however, when your career isn’t going well it can feel like your self-worth is on the line. The third group sees their job as their calling. Now, logically speaking, if there’s a ‘calling’ there must be someone making the call, right? That someone is God. You’re not the ‘caller’, you’re the ‘call-ee’, and any work that has meaning, that can be a blessing to people, and fulfils His purposes, is a calling. A doctor or pastor might get sucked into treating work solely as a means of earning a good income, therefore they see it as just a job. On the other hand, a dustman may view what he does—making the world a cleaner place—as a calling. We’re not downgrading the importance of those who stand in pulpits and preach; we’re upgrading the importance of those who serve God forty hours a week in other jobs. The main thing is: when the job’s done well, both will hear the commendation, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant’ (Matthew 25:23 NIV).

Matthew 4: 18-20, Mathewt 16: 13-23, Matthew 26: 69-75, John 21: 15-19.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 7:49am On Nov 24, 2014
Thanks lateef4me for the update...God will continue to bless us all
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 12:16pm On Nov 25, 2014
Tuesday November 25, 2014.

YOU’RE A ‘PRIEST’ AT WORK (3)

‘His God instructs him and teaches him the right way.’ Isaiah 28:26 NIV

Lottery winners often make the same comment: ‘Winning all that money isn’t going to change my life.’ But it seldom works out that way. Six months later they have left their job and bought a new house. A survey of lottery winners confirmed these two things: 1) The majority were more unhappy after than before winning. Why? Unfulfilled demands and unmet expectations on the part of family and friends led to disappointment and resentment. 2) None of them would give up the money they’d won. When you’ve had more money, you tend to be miserable with less. But having more money doesn’t give you more self-worth. It’s notable that the song ‘Take This Job and Shove It’ was recorded by a man named Johnny Paycheck! Isaiah wrote: ‘When a farmer ploughs for planting, does he plough continually?…Does he not plant wheat in its place?…God instructs him and teaches him the right way…All this…comes from the Lord’ (vv. 24-29 NIV). That means whether you’re a farmer or a fireman—God gave you your job! It’s your ‘calling’, and it was designed to do more than simply provide financial security. It was designed to give you dignity and worth, and to fulfil God’s purposes on earth. Theologian Miroslav Volf says: ‘All human work, however complicated or simple, is made possible by the operation of the Spirit of God in the working person; and all work whose nature and results reflect the values of the new creation is accomplished under the instruction and inspiration of the Spirit of God.’ So, ‘Whatever you do, work…with all your heart…for the Lord’ (Colossians 3:23 NIV).

Genesis 10-12, John 13: 1-17, Psalm 95, Proverbs 30: 29-33.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 2:53pm On Nov 26, 2014
Wednesday November 26, 2014.

SEIZE THE PRESENT

‘The Word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time.’ Jonah 3:1 NIV

We spend too much of our lives in the junkyard of regret. We focus on what might have been, could have been and should have been. Maybe we think that by replaying it enough we can change the outcome. But we can’t. The only thing you can control is what you do in the present. The more you replay yesterday, the further you get from today’s opportunities. And the further you move from today’s opportunities, the tougher the road back becomes. Opportunities never look as good coming as they do going. And they wait for no one, so you need to be attentive and grab them. They come in many forms, and they can come from any direction. But one thing’s for certain: they can be seen and seized only in the present. Whatever has happened in your life, has happened. And since you can’t undo it no matter how hard you try, wipe the slate clean and go on to what’s next. We all make mistakes. Jonah’s mistake caused a storm that threatened the lives of everybody around him, and ended up taking him all the way to the bottom. But that’s not the end of his story: ‘From inside the fish Jonah prayed to…God…And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. Then the Word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time’ (Jonah 2:1 & 10-3:1 NIV). He’s a God of second chances—and third, fourth, and fifth ones too! ‘They are new every morning’ (Lamentations 3:23 NIV). Today is a gift—that’s why it’s called ‘the present’. So repent of the past, seize the present and start living again!

Genesis 13-16, John 13: 18- 30, Psalm 114, Proverb 31: 1-5.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:51am On Nov 30, 2014
Thursday November 27, 2014.

SEEING THE HAND OF GOD IN IT

‘Friend, do what you came to do.’ Matthew 26:50 NCV

Jesus looked at Judas in Gethsemane and said, ‘Friend, do what you came to do.’ It’s hard to imagine what Jesus saw in Judas that made him worthy to be called ‘friend’. But Jesus sees something good in every bad situation. And it would help if we did the same. How? Again, Jesus gives us guidance. He didn’t place all the blame on Judas. He saw another force at work: ‘This is…the time when darkness rules’ (Luke 22:53 NCV). Judas wasn’t acting alone—and neither are your attackers. Paul says, ‘Our fight is not against people on earth but against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world’s darkness, against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly world’ (Ephesians 6:12 NCV). Those who attack and betray us are victims of a fallen world. We can’t place all the blame on them. Jesus found enough good in Judas to call him a friend, and He can help us do the same with those who hurt us. Even though Judas didn’t understand or intend to, he played a vital role in ushering Christ into His destiny. Of the 98 words Christ spoke at His arrest, 30 were about the purpose of God. ‘It must happen this way to bring about what the Scriptures say…“All these things have happened so that it will come about as the prophets wrote’’’ (Matthew 26:54-56 NCV). Jesus understood that His immediate struggle was part of a greater plan. He saw the hand of God at work in it. And if you pay attention, you’ll see His hand at work in your struggle too.

Genesis 17-19, John 13: 31-38, Psalm 118: 1-9, Proverbs 31: 6-9
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:53am On Nov 30, 2014
Friday November 28, 2014.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT FRIENDS (1)

‘Friends sharpen the minds of each other.’ Proverbs 27:17 CEV

Author Charlie ‘Tremendous’ Jones said, ‘You’re the same today as you’ll be in five years…except for the people with whom you associate and the books you read.’ When it comes to choosing friends, Dr. Charles Townsend says look for: 1) People who influence you to be the person God intended. ‘As iron sharpens iron, friends sharpen the minds of each other’ (Proverbs 27:17 CEV). Relationships are the tools God uses to do this. When you’re with somebody, ask yourself, ‘Do I like who I am when I’m around this person? Am I more open, loving and honest? Or do I not like what I see in myself?’ Choose people who make you a better person. 2) People who provide grace for the energy drain. When you’re empty you need to be refuelled physically, spiritually and relationally. So surround yourself with friends who will listen, encourage and be there for you. 3) People who let you be real. ‘A friend loveth at all times’ (Proverbs 17:17 KJV). The best relationships are those where you know you’re loved, you’re free to be yourself, you don’t have to put on an act and you can be honest about the difficult aspects of life. There’s comfort and normality in friendships where you can be authentic. 4) People who help you grow in faith. You need friends who encourage you to pray, read the Bible and help you to see the ‘big picture’ concerning what’s important in your life. Ephesians 4:16 talks about operating as a body: ‘All the parts of the body are joined and held together. Each part does its own work to help the whole body grow and be strong with love’ (NCV). Don’t try to do it alone. Reach out to friends who’ll reach back.

Genesis 20-23, John 14: 1-14, Psalm 118: 10-18, Proverbs 31:10-13.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:54am On Nov 30, 2014
Saturday November 29,2014

CHOOSE THE RIGHT FRIENDS (2)

‘Two people are better off than one.’ Ecclesiastes 4:9 NLT

Take the initiative. Don’t wait to be introduced. Say ‘hello’ and get the other person’s name. If you’re naturally shy, it can be hard taking the first step. But the chances are that the other person feels the same, and when you start talking you’ll find things in common. Take a risk. If you like somebody, go a little deeper and mention a small struggle, fear, or disappointment you’ve experienced. It’s called ‘manageable risk’ and it lets you gauge how the other person responds. If they’re caring and identify with what you’re saying, that’s a good sign. If they shut down, try to fix you or respond critically, it may be time to move on. Invite them to join you. If everything else works out, exchange ‘phone numbers and invite the other person for coffee or lunch. Then go for a second meeting and give it a little time; that way you’ll know if it’s a friendship worth developing. Find out where people go to spend time. There are lots of places to get to know new people, like church, the gym, school, a play group, or volunteer service. Be willing to leave your comfort zone and try new situations. Remember that God uses all kinds of friendships to fulfil His purpose. One prominent preacher says: ‘There are friends who were instrumental in my blessing, although they never embraced or affirmed me. These are the “Judas sector” that exists in the life of every child of God…the ones who cause you the most pain. They wound…and betray you, but through their betrayal God’s will can be executed in your life.’ Ask God for a friend, then go out and make one!

Genesis 24: 1- 25:18, John 14: 15-25, Psalm 118: 19-29, Proverbs 31: 14-17.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:56am On Nov 30, 2014
Sunday November 30,2014

INNER BEAUTY

‘He will give you the mighty inner strengthening of His Holy Spirit.’ Ephesians 3:16 TLB

A lady flew across the country to tell a talk show host how her husband had left her for another woman. The lady, who was young, vibrant and beautiful, pulled out a photograph and said, ‘Just look at her. He left me for that!’ The host concluded, ‘Sadly, we’ve been conditioned to think that ‘‘looks’’ are all-important, when, in fact, they’re not.’ Nevertheless we keep measuring, comparing, and beating ourselves up because we fall short. If you can’t enjoy who you are because of what you’re not, you’ll never be happy. Advertisers spend billions getting us to decorate a shell that’s in a losing battle with Mother Nature and Father Time—all in an effort to create what we think will attract others. And when it doesn’t work, we get depressed and wonder what went wrong. Of course, it’s important to look your best, but when you’re obsessed with your appearance you become superficial. And others lose respect for you because they discover that although the box is beautifully wrapped, it’s empty. If you want to know what ultimately wins hearts and attracts the right people, read these words: ‘I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love…And may you have the power to understand…how long, how high, and how deep His love [for you] is…Then you will be made complete’ (vv. 16-19 NLT). That’s the secret to inner beauty!

Genesis 25: 19- 27:46, John 14:26 - 15:4, Psalm 146, Proverbs 31: 18-21.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:01am On Nov 30, 2014
Great is thy faithfulness ,morning by morning ,new mercy we see ,all we have ,thy hands have provided ,great is thy faithfulness ,Lord unto to us ......God has been faithful to us since January to the end of November 2014 .

It is by the mercy of God that we are not consumed !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:46pm On Nov 30, 2014
lateef4me:
Great is thy faithfulness ,morning by morning ,new mercy we see ,all we have ,thy hands have provided ,great is thy faithfulness ,Lord unto to us ......God has been faithful to us since January to the end of November 2014 .

It is by the mercy of God that we are not consumed !
Thanks for keeping the thread alive..

I am grateful to God almighty for his love,faithfulness and making his promises in our lives come to pass...It nt been easy for 2yrs we have been doin this....
The remaining days of the year 2014 i know God will do something great for us all...
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:53pm On Dec 02, 2014
Monday December 1, 2014.

CHRIST-LIKE-NESS

‘We share in His sufferings…that we may also share in His glory. ’Romans 8:17 NIV

God’s number-one goal for you isn’t comfort, it’s Christ-like-ness! And to reach it you’ll have to undergo some of the same experiences that Jesus went through—like being misunderstood by your family, ridiculed by church members, rejected by the world, and disappointed by the people who say they love you. The Bible says we’ve been called to ‘share in his sufferings…that we may also share in his glory.’ So how do we do this? In three ways: 1) Stay focused on God’s plan, not your pain. ‘Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith’ (Hebrews 12:1-2 NLT). Corrie ten Boom said, ‘If you look within, you’ll feel depressed, if you look without, you’ll be distressed, but if you look to Christ, you’ll be at rest.’ 2) Don’t give in to short-term thinking. Look at Jesus, ‘Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross’ (v. 2 NLT). Keep your eye on the finish line. You don’t get the trophy until the race is over, so make up your mind to ‘stay the course’ and finish strong. 3) Start praying the right way. When you understand that God’s objective is to make you more like Christ, you’ll start praying fewer ‘comfort me’ prayers and more ‘conform me’ ones. Instead of asking, ‘Why me, Lord?’ you’ll ask, ‘What do You want me to learn, Lord?’ James writes, ‘Let the process go on until…you have become men [and women] of mature character’ (James 1:4 PHPS). That’s how you become more Christ-like.

Luke 10: 38-42, John 11: 1-44, John 12: 1-3.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
Tuesday December 2, 2014

WHEN GOD FEELS DISTANT

‘The Lord has hidden Himself…but I trust Him.’ Isaiah 8:17 GNT

Does God feel distant? Floyd McClung writes: ‘You wake up one morning and all your ‘‘spiritual feelings’’ are gone. You pray, but nothing happens. You rebuke the devil, but it doesn’t change anything. You go through spiritual exercises, have your friends pray for you, confess every sin you can imagine, then go around asking forgiveness of everyone you know. You fast; still nothing. You begin to wonder how long this spiritual gloom will last. It feels like your prayers bounce off the ceiling. In utter frustration you cry out: ‘‘What’s the matter with me?’’ This is a normal part of the testing and maturing of your friendship with God. We all go through it. It’s painful, but it’s absolutely vital to developing your faith. You see, God is always present, even when you are unaware of Him. His presence is too profound to be measured by intellect or emotion. He’s more concerned that you trust Him than that you feel Him. ‘‘Faith, not feelings, is what pleases God" (Hebrews 11:6). You ask, ‘‘So what can I do?’’ Isaiah answers, ‘‘The Lord has hidden Himself…but I trust Him.’’ Focus on God’s unchanging love and faithfulness. Cling to His promises. During times of spiritual dryness, rest on His Word, not your feelings. Realise that He’s taking you to a deeper level of maturity. Any friendship based strictly on emotion is shallow indeed. So don’t be troubled by trouble—God’s grace is still in full force! He’s with you even when you don’t feel Him.’ His word to you today is, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you’ (Hebrews 13:5 NIV).

Genesis 28: 1- 30: 24, John 15: 5-17, Psalm 14, Proverb 31: 22-24.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:34am On Dec 05, 2014
Wednesday December 3, 2014

FIGHT FOR YOUR MARRIAGE (1)

‘Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain who build it.’Psalms 127:1 NKJV

It’s easy to remember where and when you got married, but sometimes what escapes you is why. God created Eve because He knew Adam was lonely and incomplete. So if the purpose of marriage is closeness, the enemy of marriage is distance. But problems arise when you expect your spouse to meet every need you’ve got. Only God can do that! A man asked his friend, ‘How come you never got married?’ He replied, ‘Because I was looking for the ideal woman.’ ‘And you never found her?’ his friend asked. ‘Yes, of course, but just my luck—she was looking for the ideal man.’ Hello! The Bible says, ‘Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her’ (Ephesians 5:25 NKJV). Can a marriage ever be perfect? No, but when two people make up their minds to give themselves fully to one another, they can come pretty close. In a survey of thousands of married couples, here are ten reasons why people said they were unhappy: 1) They didn’t think alike in many areas. 2) They had little insight into each other’s feelings. 3) They said hurtful things to one other. 4) They felt unloved. 5) They felt taken for granted. 6) They lacked someone to confide in. 7) Each spouse felt he or she was giving more than the other. cool They rarely complimented each other. 9) They desired more affection. 10) They couldn’t talk to each other. Now, since God performed the first marriage, talking to Him about yours would be a good place to start.

Genesis 30: 25- 31:55, John 15: 18-27, Psalm 65, Proverb 31: 25-27.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:36am On Dec 05, 2014
Thursday December 4, 2014

FIGHT FOR YOUR MARRIAGE (2)

‘The wise have wealth and luxury...’ Proverbs 21:20 NLT

One of the most common issues that cause marriages to fail is finances. There’s a nice story about an usher who passed the collection plate at a church wedding. When one of the guests objected, he said, ‘I understand how you feel, but the father of the bride needs the money.’ Seriously, the number-one reason for divorce these days is money. That’s interesting, because we have more money today than at any time in the past. So what’s the problem? In a nutshell, it’s our lifestyle. The more we have, the more we want, and the more we’re willing to go into debt to get it. When times are good that philosophy works, but in the last fifty years we’ve lived through ten recessions. For example, people who bought a home for £100,000, planning to sell it for £200,000 within a year or two, ended up losing everything because the housing market crashed. Imagine the stress that puts on a marriage! The strong endure; the weak don’t. We recently became reacquainted with a mostly forgotten word - frugality. It means buying only what you can afford. The Bible says, ‘In the house of the wise are stores…but a foolish man devours all he has’ (Proverbs 21:20). Financial experts now recommend keeping a minimum of six months’ living expenses in a ‘rainy day’ account. In the last decade we’ve gone through a major and painful correction. It taught us that the secret of happiness in marriage isn’t spending all you’ve got, but saving, and taking time to enjoy what you have.

Genesis 32-34, John 16: 1-18, Psalm 130, Proverb 31: 28-31.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:37am On Dec 05, 2014
Friday December 5, 2014

FIGHT FOR YOUR MARRIAGE (3)

‘Marriage should be honoured…for God will judge the adulterer and…the…immoral.’
Hebrews 13:4 NIV

Clara Null says: ‘My Sunday school class was learning the Ten Commandments. When we got to ‘‘Thou shalt not commit adultery’’, I wondered if I’d have to explain it. Sure enough, a seven-year-old girl raised her hand and asked, ‘‘What does commit mean?’’’ Seriously, if you live by impulse instead of commitment, your marriage will suffer. The word ‘commitment’ is best described in your wedding vows. Remember those? ‘Will you have this woman (or man) to be your lawful wedded wife (or husband)…to live together in God’s holy ordinance of marriage…to be faithful…in good times and bad, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, remain faithful to her (or him)?’ That’s what you said before God! A big hotel displayed this sign on its bulletin board for passing motorists to read: ‘Have your next affair with us!’ That’s not so funny when you consider the ramifications! A prominent psychiatrist said, ‘I’ve counselled thousands of couples, and I’ve yet to meet my first happy adulterer.’ The results are always the same: shame, fear, loss, loneliness and depression. When you violate your own integrity, it’s hard to live in your own skin. Don’t be deceived by celebrities who hop from bed to bed. The secret to happiness in marriage isn’t finding the right person, it’s becoming the right person. The Bible says you’re supposed to care about the spiritual, emotional, material and sexual needs of your spouse. So start discussing these things. And if you find it difficult to talk about them, get help—your marriage is worth fighting for!

Genesis 35- 36, John 16: 19-33, Psalm 2, Ecclesiates 3: 1-4.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:43pm On Dec 07, 2014
Saturday December 6, 2014

FIGHT FOR YOUR MARRIAGE (4)

‘They will be won over by observing your…lives.’ 1 Peter 3:1-2 NLT

A shared faith is the glue that will hold your marriage together in times of trouble. But when one spouse is an unbeliever, it can be difficult for the other. Concerning marriage, Jesus said, ‘What…God hath joined together, let not man put asunder’ (Matthew 19:6 KJV). Notice the words, ‘What God hath joined together.’ Any relationship God puts together can go the distance. Speaking about a wife whose husband has died, Paul writes, ‘She is free to marry anyone she wishes, but only if he loves the Lord’ (1 Corinthians 7:39 NLT). When your spouse doesn’t share your faith, you can find yourselves tugging on opposite ends of the rope. Paul asks, ‘How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever?’ (1 Corinthians 6:15 NLT). The old country preacher put it bluntly: ‘Any time a child of God marries a child of the devil, they’re going to have trouble with their father-in-law!’ Now, that doesn’t mean you should love your unbelieving partner less. Actually, it means you should love them more! Speaking of unbelieving spouses, Peter writes, ‘Even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over by observing your…lives.’ There’s preventative medicine and there’s corrective medicine. When Paul says not to marry an unbeliever, he’s using preventative medicine. When Peter speaks about living with an unbeliever and winning them to Christ through your love and your lifestyle, he’s using corrective medicine. At the end of the day, there’s only one thing that’s guaranteed to work: ‘Love never fails’ (1 Corinthians 13:8 NKJV). So fight for your marriage!

Genesis 37-39, John 17: 1-26, Psalm 147: 1-11, Ecclesiastes 3: 5-8.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2014
Sunday December 7, 2014

FIGHT FOR YOUR MARRIAGE (5)

‘Many waters cannot quench love.’ Song of Solomon 8:7 NIV

You quickly discover that the greatest threat to marriage is—selfishness! A mother was trying to explain to her little son the benefits of unselfishness. She concluded her talk by saying, ‘We’re in this world to help others.’ After due consideration the boy asked, ‘Well then, what are others here for?’ When two people put their own individual needs and wants first, they’re on a collision course. Let’s look at some examples of selfishness in marriage: a) In-laws. It’s a sign of selfishness and immaturity when you constantly harp about what your parents said, and how they did things. It’s unfair to your spouse and it’ll hurt your relationship. b) Pornography. The Psalmist wrote, ‘I refuse…to look at corrupting people and degrading things’ (Psalms 101:3 TM). Pornography is as addictive as heroin and untold numbers of marriages are shipwrecked by it. Not only does it leave you feeling ashamed, it can devastate your partner’s self-worth. c) Disagreements. Don’t be like the woman who told her friend, ‘We’ve been married for twenty years and never quarrelled once. If a difference of opinion arises and I’m right, my husband gives in.’ Her friend asked, ‘And what if he’s right?’ Without hesitating she replied, ‘That has never happened!’ d) Prayerlessness. Ninety per cent of Christian couples don’t read the Bible and pray together. Do you? If Christ is the most important thing in your lives, He should be the thing you most enjoy sharing. When passion and physical beauty fade, your shared love for Christ will sustain you through the storms of life. So fight for your marriage.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:48pm On Dec 07, 2014
When passion and physical beauty fade, your shared love for Christ will sustain you through the storms of life.....

"I love my wife and she loves me " is not gonna be enough when your marriage comes under the attack of the enemy but the grace of Christ and the power of His might are what will sustain your marriage during those perilous times !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:39pm On Dec 07, 2014
nice one lateef4me ..
Where alwaystrue,it bn a long time...i just hope all is well
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 5:34am On Dec 08, 2014
Stop Trying to Second-Guess God

Monday, 08 December 2014

'Nor are your ways My ways.' Isaiah 55:8 NKJV

Are you doing what you believe to be God’s will, yet things aren’t working out like you expected? God has a different perspective—a better one. It’s ok to question Him, but not to doubt and second–guess Him. In His Word He says, ‘My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways.’

When God told Moses he was going to deliver the Israelites from Egypt, Moses was all for it. But things didn’t go the way he anticipated because Pharaoh made their lives harder for a while. So instead of becoming a hero, Moses lived through a season of being criticised and misunderstood. Later, when some other things didn’t turn out as Moses expected, he got discouraged and complained along these lines: ‘Lord, I did what You told me to do. How come I’m not getting the results I prayed for?’ (Exodus 5:22) Moses didn’t understand the results of his obedience, because God didn’t tell him exactly how things would turn out.

Usually our frustrations have little to do with what God does or doesn’t do, and everything to do with our mistaken ideas about what we think He should do. When you assume, or try to analyse God, you always end up frustrated. Jesus told His disciples, ‘You don’t really know what I am doing, but later you will understand.’

(John 13:7 CEV) It’s only in looking back that you see how the Lord has led you. He is the best at what He does and His track record proves it. So trust God and stop trying to second–guess Him.

SoulFood: Gen 40-41, Jn 18:1-18, Ps 147:12-20, Ecc 4:9-12

smiley This is The Word For Today

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 5:36am On Dec 08, 2014
grin @Odunharry,
Thanks for asking. Does that answer you now? I have been quite engaged lately.
How are you, @Lateef4me.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 7:02am On Dec 08, 2014
Alwaystrue:
grin @Odunharry,
Thanks for asking. Does that answer you now? I have been quite engaged lately.
How are you, @Lateef4me.
Good to knw this.....

Let nt stop praying 4 each other..my final exam start next week.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:11pm On Dec 09, 2014
Alwaystrue ,quite a while .......Odunharry ,success in ur exams in Jesus name
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:25pm On Dec 09, 2014
lateef4me:
Alwaystrue ,quite a while .......Odunharry ,success in ur exams in Jesus name
thanks bro
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:20am On Dec 11, 2014
[b]Wednesday 10th December,2014
What do you treasure most?

‘Where your treasure is…you will
most want to be.’ Matthew 6:21

If your house was burning down and you could only save one thing, what would it be? It’s a decision people make every day, and it’s never easy.
There’ll always be things we grieve
about giving up because of their intrinsic value in our lives. If you want to know what yours are, look at how you spend your time and money. It’s a dead giveaway. Jesus said, ‘Where your treasure is…you will most want to be.’
Your ‘treasure’ can be relationships you’d do anything to keep, a career that’s central to your identity, or your investments for the future. These things are okay. Indeed,
the Bible says that wise people look
ahead and plan (Proverbs 21:20). But it’s where you’re investing for eternity that really matters. ‘The rich young ruler asked Jesus: “What shall I do to inherit eternal life?”…Jesus said…“Sell all…you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when he heard this, he became very sorrowful, for he was very rich’ (Luke 18:18-23 NKJV).
In essence, Jesus was asking this man who was rich and successful, ‘Would you give it all up to follow me? Would you forfeit it for a
few years in order to have much more for eternity? Instead of building a career, would you spend your life building My kingdom?’ Jesus wants to be ‘front and centre’ in your life. And when you put Him there, He promises, ‘All your other needs will be met as well’ (Matthew 6:33 NCV).
Are you willing to put Him to the test?

Gen 10-12, John 18:12-24, Ps 150, Pr 29:22-27[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:25am On Dec 11, 2014
Today's word for today
Trade-Offs (1)

‘I consider everything a loss
because of the surpassing worth of
knowing Christ.’ Philippians 3:8

No matter how hard you try, you can’t ‘have it all’. Life’s too short! There are trade-offs you must be willing to make.
In Matthew chapter 19 we read
the story of the man who wanted to
follow Christ, but he didn’t want to give up his lifestyle. Paul, on the other hand, said, ‘I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ.’ Let’s look at some trade-offs in life that are worth making:
1) Approval for accomplishment. For people-pleasers and approval-junkies this means realising that accolades are like smoke; they evaporate quickly.
Awards turn to rust. Financial gain is
quickly spent or lost. You must come to the place where ‘doing good’
means more to you than ‘looking
good’.

2) Security for significance.
Greatness doesn’t lie in what you earn or own; it lies in what you give your life to accomplish. Instead of merely focusing on making a living, ask God to help you make a difference!

3) Exploration for expertise. Too many of us like to dabble, but the problem with dabbling is that you never really become great at anything. True, when you’re young you should try new things and see where your strengths and interests lie. But as you get older you must become more focused. You will go far in life if you ‘specialise’ in something. If you study the lives of great men and women, you’ll find that they were single-minded and
tenacious. So once you have found
what God created and called you to
do, stick with it and let the rest go.

Gen 13-16 , John 18:25-40, Ps 105:1-7, Pr 30:1-4

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10 Signs You Love Money Too Much / Northern Christians To Pastor Bakare: Timothy II 2:24 / Don Moen: Enugu Is Nice, Calm And Peaceful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.