Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? (5664 Views)

Can You Marry A Non-graduate? / Nairalanders, What's Your View On A Graduate Marrying A Non-graduate / Can You Marry A Non-graduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 04, 2006
Can you as a graduate (masters degree holder) marry someone who never passed through the four walls of a univeristy.

Ladies be truthful, and guys what would you do if your sister brought that kind on man home

I need sincere answers. For me, hell no, but I dont know why.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Hotstepper(f): 4:35pm On Jul 04, 2006
i know quiet alot of people that have done that. Men can marry a aldy that is not educated that is passed through uni. but a lady that passed through uni. might find it diffult. I personally will marry an educated man, undergrad. is okay for me tongue as i call it, educated turned business man i will marry as far as he went 2 skool 1st before entering into business for one reason or the other
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by twinkledew(f): 5:16pm On Jul 04, 2006
I don’t know. Even some of those people that went to university can not construct a simple sentence(s)
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Busta(f): 5:49pm On Jul 04, 2006
LMAO grin

I think its possible
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by adconline(m): 7:18pm On Jul 04, 2006
I think relationship is always been in favour of women- when it comes to making choices. Its the man who does the searching and wooing  for a wife. I tell you  what , a suitable suitor would not trade a good woman for anything regardless of her educational, economic and  social status. In most cases women are looking out for men who are , economically , socially and emotionally stable. Its easier for men to marry a non grad than women. In the  universities,  men don't find it difficult to go out  with someone who is in a lower level/class,  but its very difficult for women  to date a guy who is not in the same level/class with them.

likes of okocha, kanu and CO, came home to marry unknown Nigerians. Could the same thing be said of likes of Regina Asika, Agbani Darego, Oluchi Onweagba and co.
May be its a cultural thing that runs deep in the system that a man is supposed to  be well established before searching for his missing rib.   

Whoever findeth a wife, findeth favour in the Lord- not a graduate or trophy wife.   As for me, I  can marry a non grad. I was not born a graduate.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by desiree(f): 8:08pm On Jul 04, 2006
@adconline

well said!!!
I totally agree with you there
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 06, 2006
@adconline
well said o. but ,
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by funloving(m): 11:39am On Jul 07, 2006
The issue of being a graduate or a non-graduate is due to (1) our cultural mentality and (2) the poverty in our home country, Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
Over the years we have come to associate progress and status with being University educated.

Out here in the UK there are university girls who are hanging out and marrying guys who never went to any higher institution.
You see a Master's degree student whose boy friend is a carpenter.

The reason why this is feasible with them is because you don't have to be a university graduate to be comfortable. In my school we have cleaners and Hall Porters who come to work in brand new cars and somebody has argued that even mere railway Protection Masters drive BMW's and Merc's.

But coming from Nigeria it is so difficult to achieve  a certain level of wealth and status if one has not been to a higher institution so automatically, once a guy is not a graduate chances are that he is probably not so well off ( there a execeptions though).

We are also a very class conscious people. We like to mix with people of our class or higher.If a guy has not been to University he is seen as belonging to a lower class and we don't want to associate with him.

We grew up with these notions and mentality and now as adults we think it impossible or absurd for a graduate to marry a non-graduate.

What I believe is, look for a partner you can spend the rest of your life with. As long as such a one is educated(it must not be a university graduate) and capable of playing his or her role in the home, go ahead and settle down with him or her.

As for me, I will like my wife to be a graduate ( I guess it is the Nigerian mentality that is still affecting me  grin) but if I meet a girl I want to marry who is not yet a graduate I will send her to the university.

4 Likes

Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by bolalonu: 2:36pm On Jul 07, 2006
if a female graduate gets married to a male non-graduate, theres really no probs with that. but in most cases (in Nigeria) the man will develop a low self esteem which will definately bring up issues. If the male doesnt work on his self esteem he'll begin to read meanings to the woman's attitude and this in the long run will lead to series of quarell, and no peace in the home and finally divorce.

but if d guy is a free minded person, there wont be any wahala. i wn't advice any female graduate to get married to a male non-graduate cos u will regret it later. the guy will feel u aint submissive and he'l always want to control u in order to feel like a man. in most cases they turn out to be bullies

thats my opinion wink
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Seun(m): 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2006
That makes sense. When a man feels inferior, he will mess up the marriage at the end. But I think, if I am very rich, there will be no reason for me to feel inferior to a lady just because she has a piece of paper that I don't have.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by bolalonu: 3:07pm On Jul 07, 2006
But I think, if I am very rich, there will be no reason for me to feel inferior to a lady just because she has a piece of paper that I don't have.

Seun, u said if u are very rich. so in dt case, a female graduate shld only tink of marryin male non-graduate if he is very rich. Moreover, u can only talk for urself, its not d same wit most men. Also these tins come uncousciously (the low self esteem),it might jst be a small argument and d man will start feelin she is been pompous and he'll want to say sometin just to make her feel relegated.

As a matter of fact, its always better to avoid stuffs like these, wink
or wt do y'all tink??
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Mystique(f): 4:57pm On Jul 07, 2006
@Topic: Not in this present day and age

~~Esp if the lady is the graduate~~~
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Izzo(m): 8:36am On Aug 12, 2006
Sure, i ave seen so many cases where the husband is a graduate and the wife didn't. So, i don't think it's a new thing.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Egede(m): 2:57pm On Sep 10, 2006
It's ok to marry a non graduate but u have to check the mentality of the guy in question.
Peace.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by mrmayor(m): 3:31pm On Sep 10, 2006
Funloving,

You hit the nail on the head with your reply,its very Nigerian to talk about Grads vs Non Grads issue,In Europe it makes no difference if you actually been to University as long as you have a good job.My former landlord who runs is own building company owns over 20 houses in Ireland worth over £4 million and his just 33 yrs old.He has engineers,accounts,lawyers working for him.

At the beginning of the New Year when the RICH LIST is published,the most intriguing fact was out of the 100 richest Irish people worth over 30 billion Euros and more than 14 thousand employees,67 of these people left secondary school early to learn a trade and start there own business,you don't need an MBA to make it in life.

I will never judge a woman by some piece of paper that indicates she has first class or whatever,it doesn't mean that she loves me,or be faithful,responsible,kind,be my friend or make a good mother.

Bill Gates left College,Richard Bronson never went to College but you guys would be queuing to answer YES SIR to them! I wonder WHY
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by ogunsbolly(f): 6:24pm On Sep 10, 2006
Been Educated or not does not matter in a relationship. All that matter is True Love.

I have seen a university Graduate marrying to a road side mecho and they are doing well .

And today the husband is an engineer  a graduate from a well know university in Nigeria.

And have also seen a graduate marrying a graduate  and the wedding is nothing to write home about.

All that matter is love and vision.

The only man I cannot marry is a man without vision and plan for the future, because there will be no hope.   smiley winkcheesy
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by BobbieMae(f): 11:56pm On Sep 10, 2006
How many of your mothers are graduates? Oya answer? You wonder why ya mama was a house wife, there goes it!

How many women who were graduates, sat with their dopemu husbands until they got their degree

This shit happens now? What world are you in?
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Raymand(m): 1:12am On Sep 11, 2006
Graduate: Honey, please pass me the Sodium Chloride. . . smiley
Non-graduate: thats it!! i dey divorce your pompous ass!! angry

tongue
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Uche2nna(m): 1:14am On Sep 11, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin and, grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by HH(m): 11:03am On Sep 11, 2006
make una tell dem, Nigerians prefer to grow backward in d name of class that has no satisfaction, whatever you find in a marriage is your decision.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by momoney1(m): 7:03pm On Sep 11, 2006
it's all about the wazobia, bejamins, the queen things. if got the rubbies i don't give a damn about her f**kin prof. sh*t. same to the intruder on my sis if she's got the love for him and he xpectedly holds the rubbies man i know i got a new bros in the house, u know what i mean grin cool it's all about the doe shocked
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by Memunah(f): 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2006
i cant dat will be down grading yourself,getting married to a non graduate?no i cant
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by mrmayor(m): 3:20pm On Sep 26, 2006
Memunah:

i can't that will be down grading yourself,getting married to a non graduate?no i can't

Can you work for a non-graduate like Bill Gates or Richard Branson?Would it be too down grading?
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by kokoletz(m): 4:33pm On Sep 26, 2006
Guys does it really matter. I wnt you to tell me as a lady wen u wash
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by segun111(m): 3:28am On Sep 27, 2006
So what because you have a Masters doesn't mean that you know everything in the world. Loving someone has nothing to do with education, however, if you are stuck with the ideology that he doesn't have a degree then you have a long way to go and that is my input.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by sammyjl(f): 11:22am On Jan 08, 2007
cheesy Yeah, love is a powerful tool. Ya'll should know this by now.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by amaikama(m): 10:31am On Aug 31, 2007
It is the women folks that have this battle of marrying a graduate not the men. men are comfortable with what they have as a wife.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by mix: 10:43am On Aug 31, 2007
it is a high possibility it could happen because more often than non where we find love is where our heart goes graduate or not (a non graduate is not an illiterate)
cheers!!!
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by boysteve1(m): 11:17am On Aug 31, 2007
Very Very possible my sister, b4 i enter university i have beeen doing proffessional courses in IT, i use to date the best girls in universities year 4,5 students , i don't think it really matter, wat matter most is COMPORTMENT!!!, CIAO
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by lovemajek(f): 11:19am On Aug 31, 2007
No big deal, because love is not knowledge but feelings.
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by amaikama(m): 11:25am On Aug 31, 2007
"No big deal, because love is not knowledge but feelings."

Do majority of you ladies know all this?
Re: Graduate Weds Non Graduate: Is It Possible? by benit(f): 11:29am On Aug 31, 2007
No problem but if the man is the non-graduate, pls ensure he believes in himself because if he doesn't, the graduate lady should get ready for constant nagging and everyday reminder of I am the MAN!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sexfree Relationship / 10 Cruel Things Men Do To Women (remix To 10 Cruel Things Women Do To Men) / What Kinda Fruit Are You???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.