Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (820333 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by charzyh2: 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hi abujaniv,
I'm an ND2 (final year) student in Auchi Polytecthnic, Edo state.
My dad wants to sponsor my trip to the US in next year February for tourist purposes and I'll be spending two weeks there. We do not have anyone in US so I will be booking a hotel. Now, I will be commencing my one year Industrial Training (IT) programme in Ondo state Ministry of Works come next year January. Please, what are my chances of getting the tourist visa even if I present a letter from the ministry?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2014
marymary14: Good morning VO, my sister was born in the US but hasn't gone there ever since, and now she wants to travel and also give birth to her baby over there, just want to find out the necessary steps she should take.

Thanks!

If your sister was born in the US, she is a US citizen and does not need a visa.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2014
charzyh2: Hi abujaniv,
I'm an ND2 (final year) student in Auchi Polytecthnic, Edo state.
My dad wants to sponsor my trip to the US in next year February for tourist purposes and I'll be spending two weeks there. We do not have anyone in US so I will be booking a hotel. Now, I will be commencing my one year Industrial Training (IT) programme in Ondo state Ministry of Works come next year January. Please, what are my chances of getting the tourist visa even if I present a letter from the ministry?

As every case is different, we cannot comment on the "chances" of any particular case. Please remember, honesty is always a good policy. If someone qualifies for the visa, they will get it. If they don't qualify for the visa, they won't get it. But if they lie, they won't get it, and open themselves up for all sorts of additional problems.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:32pm On Aug 18, 2014
chloe7: Dear v.o, my mum was refused visa on the 21st under section 214(b) and I want her to reapply maybe next week and I will like to reapply with her as I have also made a trip out of the country but not to the U.S, please I need your advice is it really advisable? Because my mum said the interviewing officer kept asking who she was travelling with and she said nobody and later he asked again and again

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, we are unable to comment on the specifics of any particular case.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
LUCAS99: Dear abujaniv I'm a Nigerian living abroad please do I have to be physically present in Nigeria inorder to renew my F-1 Student visa through the Dropbox Renewal Service program or can I ask my sibling or friend to drop off the application confirmation sheet, passport photos, visa fee receipt, and appropriate forms to one of the DHL facilities in Abuja or Lagos.And when the visa is ready my sibling or sister can collect the passport with the visa attached on my behalf and mail it back to me in the United States.

Dropbox is meant as a service for Nigerians living in Nigeria. If you are living abroad, there is a likely another US Embassy or Consulate closer to you that can handle your renewal.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by charzyh2: 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
abujaniv:

As every case is different, we cannot comment on the "chances" of any particular case. Please remember, honesty is always a good policy. If someone qualifies for the visa, they will get it. If they don't qualify for the visa, they won't get it. But if they lie, they won't get it, and open themselves up for all sorts of additional problems.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
But does age matter in getting a tourist visa because I'm 21years and my dad is my sponsor.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
vitodorado: @ abujaniv. I have been following this thread for a while and i quite commend this initiative from the consulate and also your tireless efforts to address almost all issues.

Please i would like to have some bit of information on the drop box renewal process. My visa expired since May this year and would want to know how to go about it and considering what your consular General was saying on Channels Tv some days back, i kinda feel discouraged to even think of renewing my visa for the 4th time. I would most appreciate your timely feedback on this.

Information on the dropbox program is freely available online: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
abujaniv:

COs say this alot. And it begs the question; what makes someone qualified for a visa?

Just trying to understand the dynamics.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2014
@abujaniv , does making one a student and being sponsored by parents on a trip to the u.s b2 category specifically , makes one unqualified as a tourist., I just read that somewhere and I'm confused.. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Whole79: 7:23am On Aug 19, 2014
"Visa processing time is usually three days, so you should be fine. If you feel you need an expedited appointment, here are the instructions: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp . It doesn't really sound like this would qualify for one, but you're welcome to make your case."
Hi VO, thank you for your time. I will like to say your input has been so helpful here on this forum. My visa was approved last week monday in Abuja and I was told that due to the problem the embassy is facing with their visa processing system, the passport will not be ready on time. However the VO said I could pick it up by Wed or latest by friday of that same week. So I went there on that Friday and @ the pick up venue @ Wuse 2, I was told it was not ready and that I shouldn't come back until I here or get a message from the embassy that it is ready. It is now 1 week 2 days already and I have still not heard anything. I want to know if I or I am not the only one experiencing the delay and what could be done on my own part as I have sent messages to the email provided and there was no response.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Graviton2(m): 9:30am On Aug 19, 2014
abujaniv:

Thank you for your question. While we can't comment on any specific case, students applying for a student visa need to present a valid I-20 that matches their planned course of study. If the I-20 doesn't reflect the planned course of study, obviously that would present a problem.

Thank you so much for your reply. God bless you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by igbonerd(m): 3:52pm On Aug 19, 2014
I applied for a B1/B2 visa and have an interview scheduled for next month. This is my first time and as such, I need a couple clarifications:
-I'm currently serving and I made that known in my application. Would that hold up when they ask what my home ties are?
-I'm going on the strength of an American friend's invitation. He is going to foot the entire bill from the round trip plane ticket to the cost of my stay there. He's a tax-paying citizen with a well-paying job. Would that raise any red flag with them?
-Should he send his the letter of invitation, his affidavit of sponsorship, his bank statement, etc, directly to the consulate or to me?

Please, I'd appreciate your response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by idtinuke: 9:32pm On Aug 19, 2014
please VO I have been put in administrative processing since December 2013 and nothing has being heard.thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Jamchujor: 9:09am On Aug 20, 2014
Dear VO,
I applied for B1/B2 visa to attend an official appointment some time in Sept but was denied visa at the consulate in Lagos last month. my company sent a letter to the consular General in support of my invitation and advised me to reapply. I'm due to attnd a 2nd interview in Abuja nextweek. Do i need to present a copy of that latter as my new invitation latter or still present the 1st letter?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:55pm On Aug 20, 2014
igbonerd: I applied for a B1/B2 visa and have an interview scheduled for next month. This is my first time and as such, I need a couple clarifications:
-I'm currently serving and I made that known in my application. Would that hold up when they ask what my home ties are?
-I'm going on the strength of an American friend's invitation. He is going to foot the entire bill from the round trip plane ticket to the cost of my stay there. He's a tax-paying citizen with a well-paying job. Would that raise any red flag with them?
-Should he send his the letter of invitation, his affidavit of sponsorship, his bank statement, etc, directly to the consulate or to me?

Please, I'd appreciate your response.

Thanks for your message. We can't pre-adjudicate cases. However, it is worth saying that you're better off bringing your own documents to the interview if you want us to see them. However, please do remember that we generally base our decisions on the interview, and not on documents - while many people like to bring invitation letters, affadavits, etc, these are not required for B1/B2 visa applications and generally have no impact on our decisions.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:57pm On Aug 20, 2014
Jamchujor: Dear VO,
I applied for B1/B2 visa to attend an official appointment some time in Sept but was denied visa at the consulate in Lagos last month. my company sent a letter to the consular General in support of my invitation and advised me to reapply. I'm due to attnd a 2nd interview in Abuja nextweek. Do i need to present a copy of that latter as my new invitation latter or still present the 1st letter?

Thanks for your question. We generally base our decision on the interview, and not on documents. Having a copy of one letter vs having a copy of another letter will likely have no impact on a consular officer's decision. Invitation letters are not required for B1/B2 applications.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
idtinuke: please VO I have been put in administrative processing since December 2013 and nothing has being heard.thanks

You are welcome to email LagosNIV@state.gov to ask for an update. We cannot provide information regarding individual cases on Nairaland.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by charzyh2: 2:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
Dear VO,
My dad wants to sponsor me to US for tourist visa. We do not have anybody in US so I will book a hotel online.
Since I am 21 and my dad is my sponsor, does age matter in getting a tourist visa?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Whole79: 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
Visa processing time is usually three days, so you should be fine. If you feel you need an expedited appointment, here are the instructions: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp . It doesn't really sound like this would qualify for one, but you're welcome to make your case."
Hi VO, thank you for your time. I will like to say your input has been so helpful here on this forum. My visa was approved last week monday in Abuja and I was told that due to the problem the embassy is facing with their visa processing system, the passport will not be ready on time. However the VO said I could pick it up by Wed or latest by friday of that same week. So I went there on that Friday and @ the pick up venue @ Wuse 2, I was told it was not ready and that I shouldn't come back until I here or get a message from the embassy that it is ready. It is now 1 week 2 days already and I have still not heard anything. I want to know if I or I am not the only one experiencing the delay and what could be done on my own part as I have sent messages to the email provided and there was no response.
Thank you.
(Modify) (Qu
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OmoAje1: 7:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
Dear VO,
I have 2 years B1/B2 Visa which will expire soon But am unable to use it due to personal reasons, my question is that am i qualify for drop box, if yes do i need to explain the reason why my 2years visa not use. thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by agriboom: 10:40pm On Aug 20, 2014
Hello
How long should one on administrative processing wait before contacting the embassy, or should it just be considered as refusal as the slip stated and just forget about getting a visa?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Spatz81: 11:46am On Aug 21, 2014
Hi VO, I stumbled on this forum and i thought it was a laudable initiative...well done.

However permit me to also tap into the benefit of a direct- from- source response from the US Consulate.
I applied for a student visa twice about 11 years ago to study in the US(to be sponsored by my late Uncle) but was unfortunately denied, couldnt fathom why actually. I very well moved on, got admission into a Naija university...I am married now, got a good job and i am happy.

My wife before we got married was issued a US visa(tourist) and did travel.....Interestingly, she is pregnant now and we both thought that it would not be bad to give birth to our child in the US...we are financially fit to bear all the cost. mostly by my wife cos she earns a lot more than I do..

My concern now is if this will not count against her future visa renewal cos the visa she has was for her to visit the US then...it is still valid though and we though we could use it for to go back and give birth. what would u advice.

My second concern is that i also intend to travel with her, unlike her i do not currently have a visa hence the need to apply...although i have had to travel to countries like South Africa, Turkey, Germany and other Schengen countries but given my refusal history at the US embassy...what are the chances that i may not have any difficulties? I also intend to state that my reason for the trip is to be with my wife as she gives birth...will it be a fair reason?

Thanks once again and God bless.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 4:47am On Aug 22, 2014
abujaniv: Hello, Nairaland! Our last thread was lost due to the Nairaland data loss, so we're re-starting the Non-Immigrant Visa discussion.
Our best,
AbujaNIV

Please Sir, since Nigeria isn't eligible for the J1 visa, what are my options if I still wish to be an aupair and already have placement with a family?
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by marymary14(f): 10:17am On Aug 22, 2014
Our parents were on a diplomatic service then. Does it change her status?
abujaniv:

If your sister was born in the US, she is a US citizen and does not need a visa.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
marymary14: Our parents were on a diplomatic service then. Does it change her status?

Ah, yes. If her parents were diplomats assigned to the US at the time, then she would not be a citizen. She should go through the normal visa procedures, with special attention to the requirements for a medical visa. These are on our website: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html and http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/MedicalVisaInformation.pdf
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:11pm On Aug 22, 2014
Jazper:

Please Sir, since Nigeria isn't eligible for the J1 visa, what are my options if I still wish to be an aupair and already have placement with a family?
Thanks.

We process a variety of J1 applications for Nigerian citizens everyday. Information on J1 programs is available online, with an extensive, dedicated website: http://j1visa.state.gov/

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:17pm On Aug 22, 2014
Spatz81: Hi VO, I stumbled on this forum and i thought it was a laudable initiative...well done.

However permit me to also tap into the benefit of a direct- from- source response from the US Consulate.
I applied for a student visa twice about 11 years ago to study in the US(to be sponsored by my late Uncle) but was unfortunately denied, couldnt fathom why actually. I very well moved on, got admission into a Naija university...I am married now, got a good job and i am happy.

My wife before we got married was issued a US visa(tourist) and did travel.....Interestingly, she is pregnant now and we both thought that it would not be bad to give birth to our child in the US...we are financially fit to bear all the cost. mostly by my wife cos she earns a lot more than I do..

My concern now is if this will not count against her future visa renewal cos the visa she has was for her to visit the US then...it is still valid though and we though we could use it for to go back and give birth. what would u advice.

My second concern is that i also intend to travel with her, unlike her i do not currently have a visa hence the need to apply...although i have had to travel to countries like South Africa, Turkey, Germany and other Schengen countries but given my refusal history at the US embassy...what are the chances that i may not have any difficulties? I also intend to state that my reason for the trip is to be with my wife as she gives birth...will it be a fair reason?

Thanks once again and God bless.

Thanks for your message. We cannot prejudge cases, nor give anyone advice on their "chances". Travelling to give birth is a valid use of a B visa - however, travellers wishing to do this should be prepared to demonstrate they have a legitimate medical appointment in the US, reasonable estimates of cost, and the means to pay these costs in full. Also, keep in mind that a visa merely grants the right to apply for entrance to the U.S. at a port-of-entry (such as an airport). The Customs and Border Police at the airport make the final decision regarding entrance.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2014
agriboom: Hello
How long should one on administrative processing wait before contacting the embassy, or should it just be considered as refusal as the slip stated and just forget about getting a visa?

You're always welcome to contact LagosNIV@state.gov to ask for an update.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:19pm On Aug 22, 2014
OmoAje1: Dear VO,
I have 2 years B1/B2 Visa which will expire soon But am unable to use it due to personal reasons, my question is that am i qualify for drop box, if yes do i need to explain the reason why my 2years visa not use. thanks

Thanks for your message. Requirements for the dropbox program are on our website (http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html ). Usage of the prior B1/B2 visa is not a requirement.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by basica7000: 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2014
nairaland u rock......got my visa approved today in abj consular office...was interviewed by d lady inside window 8......my advice for anyone applying for visa is just be compose and listen to d question attentively....over 34 applicants were denied in my before
tnx God

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by basica7000: 12:34pm On Aug 22, 2014
Good afternoon VO
God bless u for all ur valuable advice..it really helped me today as my visa b1/b2 was approved today interview time was just 2mins....thank God for u....pls I was directed to pick up my passport next week Wednesday .....pls I want to know if d visa would have be ready by then considering the fact I read on d consular website that visa approved since july 21st have not been ready for collection.....tnx ma and anticipating ur reply
cos I want to go get my ticket tomorrow as its still very cheap now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.