Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46472 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by fortunechy(m): 1:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
Admin u got it all wrong.both federal,state n private universities ar dsame in terms of admission stuff.Gone ar days wen admission is given based on merit.everyfin nw is matter of IM n CASH..Nigerian edu system hz deteriorated to the extent dt only the rich pple can afford it. Former Unizik VC once said dt"education is nt for poor pple".Then,in unizik durin his tenure candidtae(jambites) for medicine wz 500,000 and law wz 250,000.it wz price tagged then.so edu system in 9ja nw is base on pure business.

Certificate is just a paper.weda u made first class,2 1,2 2,3rd class or pass,it cnt change ur destiny.weda u go to highier inst or nt God's plans/destiny will manifest in ur life one day it just a matter of time. me n u kw dt everyfin in 9ja is base on pure IM.dt u made 1st class or 2 1 doesnt mean dt u ar beta than those dt made pass.we all kw the kind of runs they do in most uni nowadays,where marks/grade where being traded on base on amt u have dts why u will see incompetent pple occupyin most of delicate positions dt ought to occupied by the expert in dt field. Even among our laeders where u will see uneducated/tout making laws atimes they fight in the house.
Only GOD intervention we need in this country,Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by omoredia: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
^&*

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 2:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
olagockay:
U're kidding ryt?
kidding how?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 2:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
arshavineering:

you are in ss3 abi?? Go read your books, leave NL alone
education is not all about books alone..I need to gather information from different sources around me...bill gates and oda "dropout CEOs" understood dis and dats why dey r successful 2dae.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
dejt4u: You may not understand it if u ar nt in dat shoe.. #WhiteHouseOAU na evil.. Beware!
yeah bro I graduated frm white house...engineering physics dpt precisely they've been spoiling gp since 1885.thank God for the years spent in white house.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Appswheel(m): 2:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:
After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess
Share your view.

[size=14pt]There are a number of reasons for this, the primary ones are
1. inadequate information about the tips n tricks it takes to succeed in such schools, this information are not provided during the "official" orientation provided by the school, how then will they get such information? Visit free education portals like [/b]
2. Lack of focus by Undergraduate.
3. Lack of determination, willpower on the part of the Undergraduate
4. The individual is not interested in the course of study.

If you are still in school and in the 2.2, 3rd class range, do not give up the fight until your final exams. The battle is not over until it is over. If you have graduated with these grades already, it is not the end of the world. Your life is not tied to any grade - go ahead to achieve greatness through hardwork, determination and focus.

If you are an undergraduate reading this hurry to [url=.com/resources][b]
[/url] to read the free resources put together for you. Those information have produced many high flyers- first class graduates.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by bamite(m): 2:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: Hey pls..am in ss3...can somebody educate me on how to get to unilag...I mean like d process? How many exams will I write? D content of dis exams? And d minimum scores dat are accepted? ..pls I will be glad if u enlighten mee
spend less time on nairaland,more time on your studies and the rest will be history.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by MrTeymee(m): 2:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.
Your post tells me u might nuh have gained admission yet. First class in Nigerian schools dis days don't depict intelligence, it only depicts GIGO(garbage in garbage out). In a few years, u'll understand better

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 2:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
bamite: spend less time on nairaland,more time on your studies and the rest will be history.
why r u guys tlking like u know ma study habits? Ofcourse, I won't b on nairaland if I haven't studied...
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by adanny01(m): 2:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
taiwolusol:

*Calming my nerves* You need to understand something. The mentality that all Federal University Students are better than their State and Private counterparts is Just Wrong.
For crying out loud, a 2.86CGPA student from your So called Mago Mago universities passed an Oil coy's Siwes Entry test where as best Student from OAU didn't...........
why do you have to be so proud?

That is just one case, it happens. Talk about a general case.

Look at it this way: until recent years, university education is by federal but now we have state and private unis. Federal unis are more in number than state and private universities and admit up to (if not more) 60% of nigerian undergraduates. Also, the best students in waec, neco, nabteb and Jamb are applicants of fed unis and majority gain admissions. The rest goes to state universities. Private unis are chosen by students as 1st choice by those who are rich. The others who go to private unis either didnt get admissions to their prefered fed or state unis or were withdrawn or didnt get admission to their prefered course of study.

Lets face the truth, the best and highest number of professors and training equipments are in the federal unis. The best students are there too. But the poorer results come from the same federal unis, thats what the op is talking about.

Fed unis are better because they have more qualified lecturers, more equipment, better library and more facilities while private unis only have fewer but dedicate lecturers, better learning environment and a better teacher/learner ratio plus more recent equipments if they have at all. These all come in with a price that 90% of Nigerians cant afford.

If you ask me, Fed unis admit 55% of students, state unis 35% and private 10%. Where else will the best minds be? Thats without considering other factors.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by legendsilver(m): 2:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
As for me o! State university is the best and will remain the best.
@op no come dey bobo us here, no be me say make u make 3rd class for sch.
All I see in you is a TROLL

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by dejt4u(m): 2:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
sheyman4phy: yeah bro I graduated frm white house...engineering physics dpt precisely they've been spoiling gp since 1885.thank God for the years spent in white house.
very good..what year did you graduate pls?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by awayeyebundle: 2:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
Am a graduate of Federal University of Technology,Akure OP is not easy as people used to say,but the true was that way back in school student find their ways @different level...like me through out my school day...I realise that don't copy people because u aint people some of ur friends will bribe to have good grade before they leave school system because the system believe in grade not what u can offered and this make everybody find their ways.....lecturers are hungry sorry not all of them but mostly some of them....I studies Applied Geology,and came out with pass as a result of bribery...to the extent my supervisor failed me in his course....this is life story so I have to do it again after my mate have graduated....abeg forget the system has rioten beyond repair
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 27, 2014
adeoladrg:

Someone attacked ur blog, so you had to attack me?
grin grin grin you cracked me up bro. Hey, I quoted you but was referring to the OP
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oyeludef(m): 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: well, am fvcked....
why dont u consider doing A level so as to b better prepared for d university challenge u will face. i wish i had ur opportunity few years ago.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Richy4(m): 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
OP I did not know that a graduate with 2.2 is an offense except today.

Anyway all I have to tell you is that there is more in life than certificate. Discover who you are and work on it. Prosperity in life is not based on the university you attended if it was none of the Nigerian uni measured up at all to turn someone into a rich man. It is just a stepping stone or ladder to success

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by mrbillz(m): 2:35pm On Aug 27, 2014
MisterLongman: There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho
yes, you got it right bro. My department is still on the verge of producing a first class student since inception....
EKSU plant science department....
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Solobenny(m): 2:38pm On Aug 27, 2014
MisterLongman: There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho
Im in UNN, and this is so fucking true. My dept, Med. Radiography has never got first class dude.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by temitopeking(m): 2:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
just go to lautech and study P/A maths, u will learn the truth of life

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by holicalpha(m): 2:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
taiwolusol: You have very Tangible point there, only committed the crime of generalizing. We have seen students that came through the back door emerging the best graduating student in their respective departments.
To answer your question, Life isn't mathematics where 1+1 is always 2. People change and so do their Intellectual abilities!
You posted what they needed to see.....PostofDyear

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by kpolli(m): 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING: If u've heard of or experienced the several rigorous tests and screening students of federal varsities have passed through before been offered admission, u'll only but agree with me that it's just the best brains in Nigeria that attends federal schs.

Unilag for example have the policy of admitting candidates who generally merit there admission irrespective of the number. Even thier supplimentary list is always choked up with students who have high score but could not still merit the requirementss. Very good examples of such requirements as it affects all engineering candidates/aspirants of the sch is the possession of at least a credit pass in F-maths at O/level, having a minimum of distinction frm a polytechnic before been quailfied for direct entry among others. After all these, some of their students still graduate will third class and pass.

OAU is another sch where where students who merit their admission can sit at home and expect their names in the first admission list of the sch, same applies in U.I and other federal schs.

Apology to the students of the state unis but this does nt happen in state unis, scoring high and meriting admission requirements cant be totally used as a yardstick for admission, just a phone call frm a prominent member of the society will secure one admission. So if they make 3rd class, we can't really blame anyone for it.

After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess

Share your view.

Obvious you didn't go to Unilag.... If u did u would have found someone who didn't score up to 200 in Jamb who got into the toughest course via "leg".....

And as per your question... If there is no failure, there is no success.... Courses are different from Secondary school subjects
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by butanep(m): 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
My dear change is the constant phenomenon in life... Brilliant student get dull when they get admitted into school due to negligence and some other school related factor... some student who are not too smart might even become brilliant when they gain admission into school... Its all depend on ability to defined your goal and know what you want and keep on it on a daily basis...
Point of correction, there is no school that don't consider merit in admission... No school will want to admit "all dull brains"... schools still consider merit.... i was in my house sleeping when uniben and uniport offered me admission... i didn't met any fly in the school to work my admission...
Schooling is a race, if you don't keep on the pace.... you might end badly
That's my point

4 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
Blockus:

Because if you browse Nairaland, you can find someone to get you 7 Credit in Waec and even write JAMB for you.

But u may have urself to blame if u think if u browse nairaland, u can have someone to help u get a federal uni admission.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by 0955eb027(m): 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
adeoladrg: Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.
Same tin happens in unilorin... Dat of unilag, I confirmed it from dere students buh I also learnt dat if u beat d cutoff and u re not admitted, u can lay ur complaints @ d admission office...

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
olami100: I just felt bad with some people mentality! I want to ask what has been the impact of those student who graduated wif 2.1 or ist class frm a federal uni to the development of dis country?
What has been the impact of our lecturers or professors in the federal university to the development of dis country?
Or they want to tell me they are not best brains in the state university or private uni! Keep decieving uself!
At the end both of dem later ended up in d labour market searching for job!!
For me ALL OUR FEDERAL, STATE, and PRIVATE university have failed us! Take it or leave it!

I dont dispute that anyway.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
2sExy1: the dude is a kid fed from childhood till he got where he is... he hasn't really experience hash realities of life. I used to think like him until my mum died.

Holy Jezz! That's how we think on a faceless forum my broda, life @ my end has made some give up on life
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Aydesmond(m): 2:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
its true ......linguistics dept(unilorin) nd d lectures are soooo proud
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
adanny01:

That is just one case, it happens. Talk about a general case.

Look at it this way: until recent years, university education is by federal but now we have state and private unis. Federal unis are more in number than state and private universities and admit up to (if not more) 60% of nigerian undergraduates. Also, the best students in waec, neco, nabteb and Jamb are applicants of fed unis and majority gain admissions. The rest goes to state universities. Private unis are chosen by students as 1st choice by those who are rich. The others who go to private unis either didnt get admissions to their prefered fed or state unis or were withdrawn or didnt get admission to their prefered course of study.

Lets face the truth, the best and highest number of professors and training equipments are in the federal unis. The best students are there too. But the poorer results come from the same federal unis, thats what the op is talking about.

Fed unis are better because they have more qualified lecturers, more equipment, better library and more facilities while private unis only have fewer but dedicate lecturers, better learning environment and a better teacher/learner ratio plus more recent equipments if they have at all. These all come in with a price that 90% of Nigerians cant afford.

If you ask me, Fed unis admit 55% of students, state unis 35% and private 10%. Where else will the best minds be? Thats without considering other factors.

i wish i can analyse things like u've just done.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by saintkola(m): 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
Orikinla: A graduate with First Class at LASU may not be as brilliant as the graduate with 2.2 at UI or OAU in the same course.

What a dumb assumption!
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by mutombo(m): 3:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
taiwolusol:

the name of the University is Lautech. And yes, i'm certain he'll beat most of his departments elites in the said test, but his CGPA isn't the best criteria to base this assumption on.

@op, during my I T days in NIHORT, my colleagues and I thought your so call fed uni students some fundamental principles of their works which I expected their lectures to have thought them. Also, 2012 was another year state university defeated your OAU students under their roof before we were robbed in UI later that months in a similar academic competition. OP, I won't buy the idea of fed students better than state.... LAUTECH will match u strength for strength.... I stand to be corrected o

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: education is not all about books alone..I need to gather information from different sources around me...bill gates and oda "dropout CEOs" understood dis and dats why dey r successful 2dae.
Guy, i bu Alobam! Leave the bloody old guys don't let them discourage you, i finished high school lastyr,took jamb the same year and was so very sure of myself but alas i was disappointed,disgraced and humiliated by jamb.....i scored 163 in my utme 2013 i did not intend going for a polytechnic though i meet the required cutoff mark but because of the discrimination they face in the labour market after graduation and also my dream course which is law is not being offerred in a polytechnic. I had to stay back at home fustrated,most times i always become upset and even raise my voice at my family members including my mother. My mother will always encourage me not to quit because i failed my first attempt. I started preparing for utme 2014 almost immediately though what motivated was my relatively cool performance in my wassce making 3b's,1a and 5c's.
Utme 2014 came i was so confident of myself that i was so sure of scoring above 260 after the exam(ppt) but no,jamb came back again at me and i saw 201 as my score. I was sad at first but what can i do? Nothing! My choice of institution was UNN but i had to change my institution to ANSU which has less applicants and because of the competitive nature of my course in UNN coupled with my low jamb score.
I sat for ANSU post utme and ESUT post utme this year because ESUT invited jamb candidates that didn't choose them in jamb so i had to try the two institution,Already i have been admitted to study law in ESUT and ANSU is yet to release their admission list.
What is the essence of my story? To let you know that in nigeria expect -anything- but be determined and focused never let jamb,waec or neco discourage you from achieving your dream..........by God's grace in the next five years i will be through with my LL.B programme.
All the best man!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by UnimkeAk(m): 3:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
rubbish thread
your having self pity for yourself

aren't there people in the so called fed schs making d 2.1 and 1st class.

you no sabi book, you no sabi book whether it is fed, state or private sch

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.