Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46471 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
The OP must be a child of under-18 or u reason like one.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by juniorades: 3:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
2 2 at unilorin is beta dan 2.1 in any university in nigeria, cum n I xperience it urself even phd student done read dere brain comot

3 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
mutombo:

@op, during my I T days in NIHORT, my colleagues and I thought your so call fed uni students some fundamental principles of their works which I expected their lectures to have thought them. Also, 2012 was another year state university defeated your OAU students under their roof before we were robbed in UI later that months in a similar academic competition. OP, I won't buy the idea of fed students better than state.... LAUTECH will match u strength for strength.... I stand to be corrected o

u strayed frm d topic
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
ghostwritter: I emerged d best of students in my faculty....not because I was academically brilliant but because I was sooo smart.
THE BETTER BY FAR!!

1 million likes.. Smartness does it sir. Smartness!

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by tuffgongjo(m): 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
mrbillz: yes, you got it right bro. My department is still on the verge of producing a first class student since inception....
EKSU plant science department....
english$literary dept has produced one (2006)when I got admitted to that phucking school.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Tessy10: 3:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
Could this be as a result of 'idleness/boredom'?...initially it was the comparism between polytechnic students and university students (HND VS BSC) now its between federal/state universities...sigh..NIGERIA my country my country...#better change

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

Holy Jezz! That's how we think on a faceless forum my broda, life @ my end has made some give up on life
okay.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by visasubagent: 3:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
adeoladrg: Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.
The OP was not wrong. You didn't merit the first merit list. There are general cut offs and even satan will be given admission if he merits it, afterwhich there will be state cut offs given the Educationally less developed states.
As per Vc list, Oba's list etc, it's everywhere. In fact in UNN, some lecturers are eligible to get the name of a candidate usually one related to them and they must have met certain requirements too, this is not covert but obvious. In fact, it's even advertised on the UNN website every year and those lecturers are required to pay a sum to the school. Everything is fair. And I tell you that despite this UNN is the fairest school I have ever seen in terms of admission. Just merit the cut off and only eartquake will stop you from gaining admission.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
Tessy10: Could this be as a result of 'idleness/boredom'?...initially it was the comparism between polytechnic students and university students (HND VS BSC) now its between federal/state universities...sigh..NIGERIA my country my country...#better change
i just got admitted into a state university(ESUT) and i will never let what i have read here to discourage me............as a law student am gonna go places! #Striving for excellence

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
Tessy10: Could this be as a result of 'idleness/boredom'?...initially it was the comparism between polytechnic students and university students (HND VS BSC) now its between federal/state universities...sigh..NIGERIA my country my country...#better change

why una dey behave like dis nw? I'm tired of correcting people on this, i didn't compare federal and state, i only made a point using state uni.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by luvola(m): 3:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
Op is talking trash. At the end of my 100level days in the year 2007 at lasu ( Department of accounting ) , a friend of mine left my department with a cgpa of 3.52 struggling to make second class upper gained admission to Unilag accounting. This guy graduated with cgpa of 4.89 two years ago whereas we didnt even have first class in my class when we graduated yet 2 of my course mate bagged overall best student in ICAN ATSWA in the whole of west Africa and P.E 1 overall best. This op is high on weed.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Tymax(m): 3:39pm On Aug 27, 2014
HarrveySpecter: All na wash, whether 2.2 from unilag, unn, ilorin, havard, oxford, yale.
If KPMG, TOTAL, NLNG advertise vacancy for graduate, you no go apply!

So stop deceiving/consoling yourselves.

Meanwhile, 2.1 from a polytechnic in zamfara, or state uni in Jigawa will apply.
GBAM! That's the Summary.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Dammyllionaire(m): 3:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
mutombo:

@op, during my I T days in NIHORT, my colleagues and I thought your so call fed uni students some fundamental principles of their works which I expected their lectures to have thought them. Also, 2012 was another year state university defeated your OAU students under their roof before we were robbed in UI later that months in a similar academic competition. OP, I won't buy the idea of fed students better than state.... LAUTECH will match u strength for strength.... I stand to be corrected o

I dont want to comment before but i think i have to comment, dont even try to mention LAUTECH again. LAUTECH of all school, if some people here dont know what LAUTECH is good at, i personally know because that's the 2nd school am familiar with after the school i graduated from which is Great Ife.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by clefortune: 3:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
I'm in total disagreement with your disposition. Your yardstick highlighted is meagre to prove that Fed Uni are better in any sought. University of Lagos you mentioned is an haven for corruption and student indulgence in the history of nigerian universities. Have you been to most Fed Uni in the south (no disrespect to any southern nigerian uni) and Unical to be specific? Go and see the rot and decadence our Fed Universities have found themselves. The country at large is in a sorry state as far as education is concerned. This problem doesn't have a shape of peculiarity, therefore no university in the confines of Nigeria is exonerated.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by busterr(m): 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

so are u saying something special is happening in the federal unis nt happening in the state'? And what's the 'white house OAU' abt?

oboy are you sure you witnessed the four walls of any university at all? You're talking out of your as$ here.
Just like the state uni, fed unis are not 100 percent merit!! People still work their ways through Nigerian unis with money whether state or federal, that's why if you hear some undergraduates/graduates speak, their grammertical expressions makes one cry.

Back to your topic, nobody wants to pass out with anything less than 2'1, but sometimes, students fail because they don't take their studies serious, the lecturers are lazy to mark the scripts right, some are just unlucky.
Just like the famous saying ''examination passes no clever''

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Dammyllionaire(m): 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
Very funny and interesting thread indeed.

I stand to be corrected, most of the students in state uni had tried federal uni but was abortive before giving a state uni a second thought and some av already prove that on this thread already.

By the way, 2.2 start from 2.5 CGPA to 3.49CGPA out of 5.0 CGPA which is obviously above average. So why do people especially in this country look down on graduates with 2.2, is it easy to graduate with 3.0 and above CGPA from a federal uni where there are lot of saddist lecturers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Donfamous(m): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
luvola: Op is talking trash. At the end of my 100level days in the year 2007 at lasu ( Department of accounting ) , a friend of mine left my department with a cgpa of 3.52 struggling to make second class upper gained admission to Unilag accounting. This guy graduated with cgpa of 4.89 two years ago whereas we didnt even have first class in my class when we graduated yet 2 of my course mate bagged overall best student in ICAN ATSWA in the whole of west Africa and P.E 1 overall best. This op is high on weed.
u just made me love lasu more

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by busterr(m): 4:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

why una dey behave like dis nw? I'm tired of correcting people on this, i didn't compare federal and state, i only made a point using state uni.

you didn't compare the both?? What did you do please because you're as confused as you look.

Remember, you opined that state unis accept any grade so far you can work your way through it, whereas fed. Unis are strictly on merit, so, a graduate of state uni is justified for passing out with 2'2 or anything less, but same cannot be said for those who passed out of fed. Uni
That's the summary of what you wrote.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Kruzilano(m): 4:03pm On Aug 27, 2014
I totally disagree with u..... Same policies applies everywhr,! U made mention of jhz 3 fed sch, wat about d rest.. Talk about federal uni of agriculture umudike, even uniport. nd other fed uni Hw diff is it to gain admsn in those schs?? How good are their students?? Get ur money/ connection and at d snap of ur finger, u are getting ur 2.1/ first class...I wnt buy d idea of fed uni being beta off than state

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by luvola(m): 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
One dude has opined that a first class in Lasu is 2.2 in OAU. My advice for you is to just gain admission to LASU law , give me feedbacks after you graduate.

I will withdraw my certificate if you come out with 2.1

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by marshalfire: 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
There are so many factors contributed to students having 2.2 and below while in school.
1.Environmental factor
2.Social factor
3.Psychological factor
4.Parental factor
5.Peer group
to mention bt few,all this points contributed to it and it doesn't mean that they will not excel even more than those that had 2.1 and above.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Dammyllionaire(m): 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
busterr:

oboy are you sure you witnessed the four walls of any university at all? You're talking out of your as$ here.
Just like the state uni, fed unis are not 100 percent merit!! People still work their ways through Nigerian unis with money whether state or federal, that's why if you hear some undergraduates/graduates speak, their grammertical expressions makes one cry.

Back to your topic, nobody wants to pass out with anything less than 2'1, but sometimes, students fail because they don't take their studies serious, the lecturers are lazy to mark the scripts right, some are just unlucky.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Dammyllionaire(m): 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
busterr:

My brother, have you come across a Professor with wrong grammatical expression before? We need to know that no department in the university teaches her student English language apart from the department of English and Linguistic.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by mrmatt(m): 4:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING: If u've heard of or experienced the several rigorous tests and screening students of federal varsities have passed through before been offered admission, u'll only but agree with me that it's just the best brains in Nigeria that attends federal schs.

Unilag for example have the policy of admitting candidates who generally merit there admission irrespective of the number. Even thier supplimentary list is always choked up with students who have high score but could not still merit the requirementss. Very good examples of such requirements as it affects all engineering candidates/aspirants of the sch is the possession of at least a credit pass in F-maths at O/level, having a minimum of distinction frm a polytechnic before been quailfied for direct entry among others. After all these, some of their students still graduate will third class and pass.

OAU is another sch where where students who merit their admission can sit at home and expect their names in the first admission list of the sch, same applies in U.I and other federal schs.

Apology to the students of the state unis but this does nt happen in state unis, scoring high and meriting admission requirements cant be totally used as a yardstick for admission, just a phone call frm a prominent member of the society will secure one admission. So if they make 3rd class, we can't really blame anyone for it.

After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess

Share your view.

if you don't have something serious to say please pick your book and read. Non sense
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by yetseyi(f): 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
In real sense most of these universities are just brands. I am running my masters currently at UNILAG and I must say that i am dissapointed, extremely dissapointed.

After all the hype about federal schools especially UNILAG saying i am dissapointed is an understatement. I share the same sentiments with peeps in my class that graduated from other Universities. We came thinking things would be different from schools we graduated from and I can tell you that its just the same if not worse.

The only difference is the consolation that you have a UNILAG certificate and people would assume you had the best of training and all that.

Of what use is it if u attend a Federal or state University and you can not get the required training that would be assumed you have undertaken.

Nigerian educational system generally needs overhauling, infact it is in a real mess. If the centrifuge I have to use as a masters student is one in which the speed can not be regulated then we have a big problem.

Its not about Federal is better than state, state is better than private. Its about the system itself.

The educational sector needs an overhauling and please discard this notion that people from federal schools are always better than people from State or private schools its very wrong.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by 4C2215131: 4:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
Before you get in, you're in this la la land of envisioning yourself in the almighty Uniben (your favourite and stupendously rich uncle graduated from there), the indomitable OAU (your dad is an alumnus) so you'd do anything to get in. So, if post ume happen to be a barrier, you decide to read hard to scale it.

Now you're in! What happens next? Life happens! First, complacency sets in (after all you are already in and you're asking yourself "is this all there is to it"wink, then the rigours of lectures and all it embodies (sadist lecturers, crazy lecture hours, assingments, e.t.c) sets in, social life takes its toll (from cultism to the mosque and church ramifications) and the process of self realisation and becoming happens, which may be favourable or damaging to the psyche (Runs girl, political thug e.t.c)

Fast forward to final year; GPA:2.6-3.49 and 1.1-2.49 (both achieved with copius "blocking",begging and in some cases intimidation).

The morale of the story is it takes the exceptional and goal oriented student to keep firing on both thrusters from when s/he first step foot on university soil to when s/he graduates. This observation of mine is related to the average Nigerian student as exceptions abound (read: those who are naturally endowed to be geniuses and those that got in in the first place via "mago-mago", as the former will most time always excel despite the scenarios I described while the latter is doomed to fail even without the described scenarios). My take.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by femijck(m): 4:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
juniorades: 2 2 at unilorin is beta dan 2.1 in any university in nigeria, cum n I xperience it urself even phd student done read dere brain comot
pls tell them.....a lady was dropped from my class then in my year 2 and fortunately for her, she travelled to the state thereafter

And after her 100 level exam in the state.....she came out with the best result in her set.....she's now on scholarship ....can u see why federal schools are better?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by kunletoks(m): 4:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
2-2 no be beans ooooo.
Go to some department in OAU na die like Geology. Sometimes they receive lecture till 8pm, lectures throughout on Saturday and sometimes on Sundays.
How will they pass when they have no time to read.
I have a friend he forgot to shade the 4 edges of his OMR sheet so they didn't mark both his Objective and theory because of that. He failed the course. Imagine that in a departmental course.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Ayluvmii(m): 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
Orikinla: A graduate with First Class at LASU may not be as brilliant as the graduate with 2.2 at UI or OAU in the same course.

Pls who are.when you mention Lasu.attach full respect.well I assume thats a mistake on your part.
I know my Lasuites and we can compete favorably well with our counterparts in other universities.
I rep economics dept bring your best to Lasu economics you will wish you had a second chance.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by timmy7(m): 5:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.
Now I know you have this silly mindset! So you can actually ask for source whereas you did not provide us with one when you were making unguided assertions, is that what you were taught in your so called federal school? Like one of my teachers use to say, you are simply comparing the incomparable!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by teebarbie(f): 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
juniorades: 2 2 at unilorin is beta dan 2.1 in any university in nigeria, cum n I xperience it urself even phd student done read dere brain comot
Do you mean it's better than other federal universities in Nigeria too? Smh

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Kylekent59: 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
Education system in Nigeria is getting politicalize. Imagine 5million graduates,only 500 got a good job. What about the rest? Nigeria education system is based on theory.
But other countries deals with pratical, daz y our graduates are not being creative. May God help us in dis country

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.