Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46474 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by houseoftuition: 1:41am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by aspirebig: 1:45am On Aug 28, 2014
I do not agree with the OP. Almost ALL schools in naija, I repeat almost ALL schools in naija, they have different slots for the registrar, profs, HODs,Dean etc yearly. If you are opportuned to know any of these people, whether you choose the school as first choice, your jamb score becomes immaterial. But do not forget that there are registrars, and there are registrars, so also, there are profs and there are profs, sames goes for the HODs, dean etc, meaning all profs are not the same oo. Remember, who no go no know! Going to a fed uni doesn't mean you are more brilliant than people that go to the state uni.Going to a private uni doesn't mean you are more brighter than those in the poly, it all depends on opportunity, luck, circumstances, timing, connections and other factors.

The issue of 3rd class or 2.2 could be as a result of many many factors too that played in , or took place while in the uni.Imagine some intelligent students that were on their way to get 2.1 and had a saddist lecturer who a 3rd class in his first degree as a project supervisor.If the lecturer give the student say D in project that could bring the student to a 2.2 considering that project is a 6units stuff, all other grades in other courses being k, constant. Also many 2.2 were people that had say 3.40 to 3.49. , knowing fully well that 3.5 and above is 2.1.

I may not be able to speak for the private uni, because, I am even shocked with way the roll out ist class in those private uni like , they just dash them for their high cost of schooling, tuition fees, accommodation, etc, etc.However, some students from private uni merit their ist class too.Do not get me wrong here.

But coming to the fed or state universities, wow, you must jack wella to get most grades you are given, or you earn like some
lecturers put it. Many lecturers in Naija uni are not ready to just give you grade like that, it is not everyone that you bribe, if you think you can always bribe, as a woman you cannot sleep with all your lecturers, so might be women like you too, so what do you do ?Except if you are exceptionally good. Some will tell you how they suffered in their own days before they got educated and even try to unjustly suffer the students in turn, as for the female students, that one na different thing altogether, they want you to sort, book hotel rooms to sleep with you and they MAYstill fail you at the end. Married women or those wearing ring on their fingers to deceive the lecturers that they are married are not exempted.

Here are some factors that could lead to someone graduating with a poor grade in the uni:
*Self financing, some people sponsor themselves to school, the time of hussling can affect their studies, they may miss some vital quiz, tests, assignments even exams in some cases.
*Studing a wrong course, this make the student to just struggle and be dying in silence and eventually graduate with a poor grade.
*Having extra year in school, automatically, your GP will go down.
*Too much play, some guys go to uni and flex all their time in parties, women, fashion , dragging babes with fellow students /lecturers.
*Sudden death of parents, spouse/sponsor: This could give a big blow to the student emotionally and affect the concentration academically.
*Carry overs:once you start having carry overs from 100L, there are chances that you will not graduate with a very good grade.
*Low grades: If you keep having btw C and E in most cases, , especially the three units courses, OYO is your case, is you are still dreaming of first class or 2.1
*Lack of reading/research: For instance, when you are studing, you not going the extral mile to read up other materials for the course, no textbook, no internet research, but you are always on fb, nl, badoo, etc, hmmm, no references in your assignments, wahala go dey o
*Bad friends /company can easily lead you to fail. Or even lure you to join cult.
*Family issues: Yes, some people are the only graduate or the first graduate in their family, if you are in this category, better be close to God, as sone people in the family that do not have the opportunity you have may attack you with Afican magic.
*Sickness:It is not everyone that is blessed with good health, AA, O+, etc. Some people have serious health challenges, so it could also affect their academic performance too.
*Cheating: some that are caught for cheating automatically fail the course, but they will hide the truth from their friends and family.
*Lack of Prayers: Prayer can help you, for instance if you have a very difficult lecturer, just ask God to touch his or her heart , so you can be favoured by the lecturer. Then, you will be shocked that it will happen.
In all, first class, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd class etc is NOT the end of life. It is only a means to move in life, so whatever you have kindly go to a govt uni , back for a master degree or PGD .It is just a stage, just like when waec was waec before Neco came, a lot of people dread waec more than anything then, but today, some have gotten their PHD.To God almighty be the Glory. Forgive my lengthy stuff, but I believe someone has been learn something in it too.

3 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Greenified(m): 4:40am On Aug 28, 2014
LARRYDKING:

We can't rule out the possiblity of this but it's very low compared to the state unis where it's a normal practice.
Who dares Adedibu's recommendation for admission when he was alive? The reason why many get 2.2 or pass is simply because these so called federal schools lay some useless criterias for gaining admission e.g. Excellent grades in O level... Isnt that possible for the dullest in Nigeria?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by timmy7(m): 6:25am On Aug 28, 2014
LARRYDKING:

silly u! Did u ask for a source? What source do u even want me to give u? That's just my view and opinion on the subject, that young man made a claim which lacks merit so shut the fv<k up!
Oh I see, your opinion! Some opinions are better kept to oneself and this, my friend is one of them as it lacks basis, merit, logic, fact and it is fvckd up!
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 6:43am On Aug 28, 2014
ABU doesn't have much criteria or screening for admission. Pass UTME and pray. grin
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Fourwinds: 6:44am On Aug 28, 2014
taiwolusol: This is very similar to Comparing Private secondary schools to Public secondary school.
Don't worry, you'll soon Outgrow your mentality and Face the Harsh realities of Life.
do u know dat students in private universities don't have carry over to d next session because extension is organise for dose dat failed and deir CGPA is den calculated whereas in state and federal universities d moment u fail a course it is automatically zero point to ur CGPA and no extension to redem it.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Fourwinds: 6:56am On Aug 28, 2014
aspirebig: I do not agree with the OP. Almost ALL schools in naija, I repeat almost ALL schools in naija, they have different slots for the registrar, profs, HODs,Dean etc yearly. If you are opportuned to know any of these people, whether you choose the school as first choice, your jamb score becomes immaterial. But do not forget that there are registrars, and there are registrars, so also, there are profs and there are profs, sames goes for the HODs, dean etc, meaning all profs are not the same oo. Remember, who no go no know! Going to a fed uni doesn't mean you are more brilliant than people that go to the state uni.Going to a private uni doesn't mean you are more brighter than those in the poly, it all depends on opportunity, luck, circumstances, timing, connections and other factors.

The issue of 3rd class or 2.2 could be as a result of many many factors too that played in , or took place while in the uni.Imagine some intelligent students that were on their way to get 2.1 and had a saddist lecturer who a 3rd class in his first degree as a project supervisor.If the lecturer give the student say D in project that could bring the student to a 2.2 considering that project is a 6units stuff, all other grades in other courses being k, constant. Also many 2.2 were people that had say 3.40 to 3.49. , knowing fully well that 3.5 and above is 2.1.

I may not be able to speak for the private uni, because, I am even shocked with way the roll out ist class in those private uni like , they just dash them for their high cost of schooling, tuition fees, accommodation, etc, etc.However, some students from private uni merit their ist class too.Do not get me wrong here.

But coming to the fed or state universities, wow, you must jack wella to get most grades you are given, or you earn like some
lecturers put it. Many lecturers in Naija uni are not ready to just give you grade like that, it is not everyone that you bribe, if you think you can always bribe, as a woman you cannot sleep with all your lecturers, so might be women like you too, so what do you do ?Except if you are exceptionally good. Some will tell you how they suffered in their own days before they got educated and even try to unjustly suffer the students in turn, as for the female students, that one na different thing altogether, they want you to sort, book hotel rooms to sleep with you and they MAYstill fail you at the end. Married women or those wearing ring on their fingers to deceive the lecturers that they are married are not exempted.

Here are some factors that could lead to someone graduating with a poor grade in the uni:
*Self financing, some people sponsor themselves to school, the time of hussling can affect their studies, they may miss some vital quiz, tests, assignments even exams in some cases.
*Studing a wrong course, this make the student to just struggle and be dying in silence and eventually graduate with a poor grade.
*Having extra year in school, automatically, your GP will go down.
*Too much play, some guys go to uni and flex all their time in parties, women, fashion , dragging babes with fellow students /lecturers.
*Sudden death of parents, spouse/sponsor: This could give a big blow to the student emotionally and affect the concentration academically.
*Carry overs:once you start having carry overs from 100L, there are chances that you will not graduate with a very good grade.
*Low grades: If you keep having btw C and E in most cases, , especially the three units courses, OYO is your case, is you are still dreaming of first class or 2.1
*Lack of reading/research: For instance, when you are studing, you not going the extral mile to read up other materials for the course, no textbook, no internet research, but you are always on fb, nl, badoo, etc, hmmm, no references in your assignments, wahala go dey o
*Bad friends /company can easily lead you to fail. Or even lure you to join cult.
*Family issues: Yes, some people are the only graduate or the first graduate in their family, if you are in this category, better be close to God, as sone people in the family that do not have the opportunity you have may attack you with Afican magic.
*Sickness:It is not everyone that is blessed with good health, AA, O+, etc. Some people have serious health challenges, so it could also affect their academic performance too.
*Cheating: some that are caught for cheating automatically fail the course, but they will hide the truth from their friends and family.
*Lack of Prayers: Prayer can help you, for instance if you have a very difficult lecturer, just ask God to touch his or her heart , so you can be favoured by the lecturer. Then, you will be shocked that it will happen.
In all, first class, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd class etc is NOT the end of life. It is only a means to move in life, so whatever you have kindly go to a govt uni , back for a master degree or PGD .It is just a stage, just like when waec was waec before Neco came, a lot of people dread waec more than anything then, but today, some have gotten their PHD.To God almighty be the Glory. Forgive my lengthy stuff, but I believe someone has been learn something in it too.
a very good detailed observation especial dose factors. mature mind
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Adeboyefa(f): 7:01am On Aug 28, 2014
LARRYDKING:

nope, i didn't say so, i only said since the criteria for admitting into fed unis is very tough, i expect most to graduate with first class and 2.1 even if the ones in the state schs can't graduate with high CGPA due to their various 'mago mago' way of entry.

Since admission to federal universities is tough, you can expect their examination and marking processes to be also tougher than those of state and private universities. Overcrowded lecture rooms and hostels (due to the cheaper school fees) also stress the students. I am speaking from experience.

Each school has its own standard and consequently its own best and last students. How can everybody have First Class and 2'1 in ANY sane school, unless the lecturers take bribes?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Fourwinds: 7:10am On Aug 28, 2014
bigv: Great Ife is not moi moi. A trial will confuse you. grin
dose of u who are still not convinced shiukd pls try OAU. I was dere I knew what I saw. dat challenge has built me in every aspect of life. sometimes it reminds me of d 300 spartans. white house my beloved house
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 28, 2014
Fourwinds:
do u know dat students in private universities don't have carry over to d next session because extension is organise for dose dat failed and deir CGPA is den calculated whereas in state and federal universities d moment u fail a course it is automatically zero point to ur CGPA and no extension to redem it.

you made a very sweet point.... very true.....
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 28, 2014
adeoladrg: Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.
Diploma programme is run by the school itself, its abt who you know and how much u have, or how smart you are . When you are talking about UME candidates, Unilag's admission is always based on merit
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by joeldy26: 8:36am On Aug 28, 2014
MisterLongman: There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho
your head dey dia bro.u just nailed it.so on point
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 28, 2014
dejt4u: very good..what year did you graduate pls?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
richybanky:

Well said! I studied engineering physics and my eyes sees alot before I grad.. I give tanks to d Almighty God for seeing me tru cus some of my mates crossed to anoda dept wen dey cant cope and some was expelled from skul (GP issues)... #WhiteHouseNoBeJoke
when did u graduate abeg?lol @ richy tell dem say white house no b beans o esp when lecturers like dr AK,Ariribi,Tchokosa,Oliseh,Awoyemi are taking u diff courses in a semester....CGPA don dey enta road 1 b dat o...#IREPOAU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Qasim6(m): 9:32am On Aug 28, 2014
To gain admission wahala, to graduate ijogbon. nah so federal uni dey.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by chalxdon(m): 9:32am On Aug 28, 2014
From my experience of having studied in both state and federal university, I can say that all government universities are in a mess. I am even tempted to say that students in state universities work harder than their federal counterparts. Be it as it may, our educational system needs deliverance
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by daverebranded(m): 9:34am On Aug 28, 2014
LARRYDKING:

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.
u must be a very inexperienced person, knowing little baud life, uve not seen anything o....hehe
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 28, 2014
If you've not been to white house you won't understand....I call white house "Ile funfun abinu dudu"
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by pseudonomer: 10:35am On Aug 28, 2014
hushmail: even 4 Harvard pple still make third class

bt d 3rd class high pass some first class

It's so rare...
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by fyxboss(m): 10:43am On Aug 28, 2014
ednut1: post jamb jamb and waec are not what they teach in uni , forget the so called Merit lots of man know man occurs, there are many factors eg lecturer sadism, student joining cults or becoming club boys, stress, lack of funds etc . and it is a very wrong assertion that private uni students are dull, big lie . i have a friend with 2.1 in economics from convenant she blasted ican without failing while there were first class accounting students in unilorin ican was giving slaps grin
abi o
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 28, 2014
dprince042:

Brilliance - Cheating + hardwork - Drunkard embarassed + CRAMMING - S*x + consistency - Night Party + discipline - Sleep + luck - Smoking + other variables (kind of school, socioeconomic, God etc) -WoManizing= FIRST CLASS + CHRIST IN ME = HEAVEN grin

Brother, wit ur maths it seems u r in d physical sciences.
D modifications r correct o
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by thelastgenius: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2014
Ezegozie:

don't you also think that when so many people sabi book, the marking scheme increases.
And lecturers start even marking spellings.

Does it mean that private university students (where we have most people graduating with first class and second class upper) are more intellingent than federal and state university students ?

These are the questions you should also ask yourself

Dude.....the day you take a glance at a private university result slip is when your mindset will change......When you see 400L students wey still dey carry 100L course ...Abi when you see Cgpa's like 0.25....Baba forget that thing...Most Private Uni students dn't graduate with 1st class or 2.1, Atleast not in Run.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by thelastgenius: 11:47am On Aug 28, 2014
Fourwinds:

Baba...that method of extension is only carried out in Babcock ...Come to Run and dn't read your books.....You will fail in flying colours!!!
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
Smart hw? U cheat or wat?
ghostwritter: I emerged d best of students in my faculty....not because I was academically brilliant but because I was sooo smart.
THE BETTER BY FAR!!
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by kaydada: 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2014

--- What is there to be shocked about? These private unis have lecturers who do their jobs without embarking on frequent strikes, they are well remunerated and ultimately they give the students the marks they actually get. Also, students attend classes as attendance is a prerequisite for taking exams, students also have limited distractions etc.

To add, I'm sure you must have heard of the PRESSID, its open to all first class graduates in Nigeria. It might interest you to know that a certain Private uni always has the highest number of selected candidates for the scholarship. Mind you, This scholarship is a federal govt initiative.

Are you still surprised?

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by kaydada: 1:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
Enough said
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2014
ednut1: post jamb jamb and waec are not what they teach in uni , forget the so called Merit lots of man know man occurs, there are many factors eg lecturer sadism, student joining cults or becoming club boys, stress, lack of funds etc . and it is a very wrong assertion that private uni students are dull, big lie . i have a friend with 2.1 in economics from convenant she blasted ican without failing while there were first class accounting students in unilorin ican was giving slaps grin
unilorin doesn't av up to 4 first class graduate in accounting o, cos d way u are saying it I dey fear fear...economics department don't even av 1 yet for the past 30 years...hmm. daris God ooo
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by ednut1(m): 1:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
fabiaknow: unilorin doesn't av up to 4 first class graduate in accounting o, cos d way u are saying it I dey fear fear...economics department don't even av 1 yet for the past 30 years...Dr ijaya..hmm. daris God ooo
2012 accounting my set, we had 5 first class in accounting, d advent of cbt don make first class plenty
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
enigmaotr: +no one has ever graduated with a First Class in Economics from University of Ilorin since its inception in 1976. Somehow, you'd find your CGPA below 4.5 at graduation.
Dr ijaya...
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
ednut1:
2012 accounting my set, we had 5 first class in accounting, d advent of cbt don make first class plenty
But dem Neva allow anybody get first class for Econs now...straight from 100lv dem dey spoil our result.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by youngelder(m): 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
heatmeup: yes o my very close friend once told me her story the professor that supervised her project in school took her time to narrate her ordeal to her.she graduated with a 3rd class degree,she went for her post graduate and today she became the 1st female professor in that department so whether the grade or not if you are outstanding you are .make una leave them dem never comot for school
tru o..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.