Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46470 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by richybanky(m): 5:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
dejt4u:
cnt talk for oda school..for oau where i schld, white house na die.. Science dept is situated in 'White house' - we have phy nd engineering phy dept, chemistry nd industrial chemistry dept, geology nd geophysics dept..the sister to dis building is the 'yellow house'-mathematics dept..

Them dey suck GP die for those places.. You hv to be intelligent and very very smart to scale tru unhurt... #respect

Well said! I studied engineering physics and my eyes sees alot before I grad.. I give tanks to d Almighty God for seeing me tru cus some of my mates crossed to anoda dept wen dey cant cope and some was expelled from skul (GP issues)... #WhiteHouseNoBeJoke

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by boxiposhags: 5:18pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING: If u've heard of or experienced the several rigorous tests and screening students of federal varsities have passed through before been offered admission, u'll only but agree with me that it's just the best brains in Nigeria that attends federal schs.

Unilag for example have the policy of admitting candidates who generally merit there admission irrespective of the number. Even thier supplimentary list is always choked up with students who have high score but could not still merit the requirementss. Very good examples of such requirements as it affects all engineering candidates/aspirants of the sch is the possession of at least a credit pass in F-maths at O/level, having a minimum of distinction frm a polytechnic before been quailfied for direct entry among others. After all these, some of their students still graduate will third class and pass.

OAU is another sch where where students who merit their admission can sit at home and expect their names in the first admission list of the sch, same applies in U.I and other federal schs.

Apology to the students of the state unis but this does nt happen in state unis, scoring high and meriting admission requirements cant be totally used as a yardstick for admission, just a phone call frm a prominent member of the society will secure one admission. So if they make 3rd class, we can't really blame anyone for it.

After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess

Share your view.

clearly from your post you sound like a fresher or a jambite .... my one cent is "lots of distractions like unilag for example parties , hall weeks , and people wont discover what hit them till year 3 first semester where repair is much difficult. no course is hard nor is any easy .its just determination bro.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by boxiposhags: 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2014
teebarbie: Do you mean it's better than other federal universities in Nigeria too? Smh
i laugh at unilorin quarter baked caked cause half baked is an exagerratory term for ilorin graduates because of thier superb speed . students arent well ground in thier course but its nigeria where anything goes so just get your certificate from glorified secondary schools like babcock, convenant , lead city and join work force with your connection and start taking care of your family. who cares if you attended the worst uni.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
timmy7:
Now I know you have this silly mindset! So you can actually ask for source whereas you did not provide us with one when you were making unguided assertions, is that what you were taught in your so called federal school? Like one of my teachers use to say, you are simply comparing the incomparable!

silly u! Did u ask for a source? What source do u even want me to give u? That's just my view and opinion on the subject, that young man made a claim which lacks merit so shut the fv<k up!

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
boxiposhags: clearly from your post you sound like a fresher or a jambite .... my one cent is "lots of distractions like unilag for example parties , hall weeks , and people wont discover what hit them till year 3 first semester where repair is much difficult. no course is hard nor is any easy .its just determination bro.

I'm an undergraduate bro.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by profayita: 5:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
You know preparation prevents poor performance. The WHITE HOUSE @OAU isn't Evil simplisiter as most students would assume. The current CEO of ACCENTURE failed Math But still had one of the best results. I am appalled to see students with such grades which does sell them in labour market. Before you are invited to discharge What you know, your paper qualifications is called in first. Let us not blame anything, But remain focused unswayed.
dejt4u: You may not understand it if u ar nt in dat shoe.. #WhiteHouseOAU na evil.. Beware!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
mrmatt: if you don't have something serious to say please pick your book and read. Non sense

If u have nothing meaningful to contribute, why waste ur time making a comment? Pick ur book and read too, no one knows all.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by profayita: 5:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]You know preparation prevents poor performance. The WHITE HOUSE @OAU isn't Evil simplisiter as most students would assume. The current CEO of ACCENTURE failed Math But still had one of the best results. I am appalled to see students with such grades which does sell them in labour market. Before you are invited to discharge What you know, your paper qualifications is called in first. Let us not blame anything, But remain focused unswayed.
dejt4u: You may not understand it if u ar nt in dat shoe.. #WhiteHouseOAU na evil.. Beware!
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
@op, na u sabi! Is UNIPORT not a federal university?

I once read it somewhere that our first lady finished from there.

B4 u crucify me, I finished 4rm gr8 ife.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by adeabi: 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
boxiposhags: i laugh at unilorin quarter baked caked cause half baked is an exagerratory term for ilorin graduates because of thier superb speed . students arent well ground in thier course but its nigeria where anything goes so just get your certificate from glorified secondary schools like babcock, convenant , lead city and join work force with your connection and start taking care of our family. who cares if you attended the worst uni.

See the way you posted your comment with grammatical errors.do you know that Unilorin is 1st on the list by 4icu.com.Hater you had better commit suicide. Unilorin is running regular academic calendar based on NUC specification.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by blaxx: 6:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
When you've been victimized by some lecturers,
When you have a bad HOD,
When a 3rd class lecturer doesn't want you to make a 2.2,
When they deliberately fail you or give you series of E like you're the entertainment channel,
---
So many reasons follow but na the few I fit list out.
Ask about chemistry, math and physics departments in #uniport then una go know say those departments for una schools dey jollof.

4 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by imustsaymymindo: 6:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
MrTeymee:
Your post tells me u might nuh have gained admission yet. First class in Nigerian schools dis days don't depict intelligence, it only depicts GIGO(garbage in garbage out). In a few years, u'll understand better
broda, na u make sense pass. Na GIGO for naija o. Most ppl no fit apply simple knowledge gotten 4rm edu. Even the lecturers and profs sef. Right from nursery skl, son of man don dey GIGO

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by komodapson(m): 6:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
[quote author=LARRYDKING

How did u make it that fast? U must have skipped several classes.[/quote]

“skipped”....abi dem just place am there. Naija with emphasis on certificates,grades, titles etc that isnt truly who u are,just wat u possess

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Firstgentleman1(m): 6:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ayluvmii:

Pls who are.when you mention Lasu.attach full respect.well I assume thats a mistake on your part.
I know my Lasuites and we can compete favorably well with our counterparts in other universities.
I rep economics dept bring your best to Lasu economics you will wish you had a second chance.

Eco brother, whatsup?? I hail u joor....

Don't mind students of all these over hyped fed unis...... Is it not their students i relate with everyday?...... Is it not the same federal unis that produces first class and 2.1 students every year? ........ I hate excuses, if you failed, man up and accept the fact that you have failed...... Why console yourself with unnecessary comparisms...... BTW, prepare for your PGD after school@op

#team state uni#

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by duni04(m): 6:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
Those demons in white house grin
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by boxiposhags: 6:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

I'm an undergraduate bro.
FRESHERS ARE UNDERGRADUTES TOO wink
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by boxiposhags: 6:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
adeabi:

See the way you posted your comment with grammatical errors.do you know that Unilorin is 1st on the list by 4icu.com.Hater you had better commit suicide. Unilorin is running regular academic calendar based on NUC specification.
am not a grammarian nor an English graduate.. apart from quotations... kindly correct my blunder my grammarian friend smiley
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 7:03pm On Aug 27, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: Guy, i bu Alobam! Leave the bloody old guys don't let them discourage you, i finished high school lastyr,took jamb the same year and was so very sure of myself but alas i was disappointed,disgraced and humiliated by jamb.....i scored 163 in my utme 2013 i did not intend going for a polytechnic though i meet the required cutoff mark but because of the discrimination they face in the labour market after graduation and also my dream course which is law is not being offerred in a polytechnic. I had to stay back at home fustrated,most times i always become upset and even raise my voice at my family members including my mother. My mother will always encourage me not to quit because i failed my first attempt. I started preparing for utme 2014 almost immediately though what motivated was my relatively cool performance in my wassce making 3b's,1a and 5c's.
Utme 2014 came i was so confident of myself that i was so sure of scoring above 260 after the exam(ppt) but no,jamb came back again at me and i saw 201 as my score. I was sad at first but what can i do? Nothing! My choice of institution was UNN but i had to change my institution to ANSU which has less applicants and because of the competitive nature of my course in UNN coupled with my low jamb score.
I sat for ANSU post utme and ESUT post utme this year because ESUT invited jamb candidates that didn't choose them in jamb so i had to try the two institution,Already i have been admitted to study law in ESUT and ANSU is yet to release their admission list.
What is the essence of my story? To let you know that in nigeria expect -anything- but be determined and focused never let jamb,waec or neco discourage you from achieving your dream..........by God's grace in the next five years i will be through with my LL.B programme.
All the best man!
thanks bro......the people that suffer the hardest and work the hardest often end up to be the most successful....its good to see there are still nairalanders that give good and intelligent answers..thnks bro, God will see us through

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by nairaman66(m): 7:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING: If u've heard of or experienced the several rigorous tests and screening students of federal varsities have passed through before been offered admission, u'll only but agree with me that it's just the best brains in Nigeria that attends federal schs.

Unilag for example have the policy of admitting candidates who generally merit there admission irrespective of the number. Even thier supplimentary list is always choked up with students who have high score but could not still merit the requirementss. Very good examples of such requirements as it affects all engineering candidates/aspirants of the sch is the possession of at least a credit pass in F-maths at O/level, having a minimum of distinction frm a polytechnic before been quailfied for direct entry among others. After all these, some of their students still graduate will third class and pass.

OAU is another sch where where students who merit their admission can sit at home and expect their names in the first admission list of the sch, same applies in U.I and other federal schs.

Apology to the students of the state unis but this does nt happen in state unis, scoring high and meriting admission requirements cant be totally used as a yardstick for admission, just a phone call frm a prominent member of the society will secure one admission. So if they make 3rd class, we can't really blame anyone for it.

After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess

Share your view.

The level playing field in federal universities is quite encouraging to state unis. If you have a bad G.P from 100L, same at 200L.. You can still get a 2.1 G.P from your 300L to 400L.. But this is difficult to achieve in state owned unis.. That's why some 2.2 is better than 1st class..

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by johndanny(m): 7:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
Don't mind them 2.2 no be beans o, they are just saying Trash, so many factor can make one not to focus in school Coupled with the series of strike, when I was in school, a very brilliant colleague of mine had a cgpa of 1.9 in his 3rd year with so many carry overs due to Emotional and financial problems but from his 4th year to year 5 all the courses he scores nothing less than a B. He was now battling to graduate with 2.2, I was with him when he wrote his final year project, but when submitting it to the department all d lecturers concluded that someone else wrote it for him cause the work was too good, there was were to correct.. KEY POINT not everyone that come out with a low grade are dull, there are so many factors that hinder their success.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by goldbim(f): 7:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
Well,I dnt think I'll agree with your point of UNILAG choosing those with high score on their merit list,I once had 70 in my putme (course:english)and I was denied admission despite having above the cut off mark of 64 or so.(5yrs ago)bro,unilag admission is man know man o and jst God's grace!!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

We can't rule out the possiblity of this but it's very low compared to the state unis where it's a normal practice.
Who does not know Unilag? One of the most corrupt universities in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Adedayo516(m): 7:25pm On Aug 27, 2014
ghostwritter: I emerged d best of students in my faculty....not because I was academically brilliant but because I was sooo smart.
THE BETTER BY FAR!!
can you define what you meant by "smart"?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by boxiposhags: 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
tpacalipse: Who does not know Unilag? One of the most corrupt universities in Nigeria.
thats a slander bro... you need to prove your statement or stop throwing nonsense criticism around. stay with facts and stop flowing with heresayz

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by monsieursam64(m): 7:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
To some extent, students of fed univ, seems to be better academically than their counterparts from state/private univ. as a result of d herculean task involved in preparing and scaling thru d utme/putme exam. But that not withstanding, some students from state/private schools are still as smart as those in fed schools.
Consistency, hardwork, determination are very important to becoming smart irrespective of school attended nor it's location on d surface of planet earth.
I used to think Indian students are d smartest on earth, until i then realised how determined these kids are to be d best academically, with maximum support from their parents and relatives, coupled with their individual hardwork and dedication to their studies, they are doing exceptionally well academically..
HARDWORK PAYS!!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: thanks bro......the people that suffer the hardest and work the hardest often end up to be the most successful....its good to see there are still nairalanders that give good and intelligent answers..thnks bro, God will see us through
yea,we can always try! That we failed once,twice or more doesn't make us a failure the moment we can only be called 'failure' is only when we stopped trying!
Keep moving bro,prepare extremely well,heavily well for your wassce and jamb 2015...........i'm sure you are gonna make it!
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
unseriousness is key factor to failure no matter the setting be it private or public uni. its left for the student to choose eida planning to pass or planning to fail.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
As a law student I will strive to represent esut among nigerian universities in law competitions, i will strive to represent nigeria among african universities in law competitions, i will strive to represent african universities among world universities..........i'm gonna make me proud,make nigeria proud,make mama africa proud!!!
I'm loving it!!!
Let's go there!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by ghostwritter(m): 8:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
Adedayo516: can you define what you meant by "smart"?
according to Nigeria Educational system, the word 'smart' means to study ur lectures and the way they set their past questions......pls don't think of me a cheat. different system for different lectures.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
+no one has ever graduated with a First Class in Economics from University of Ilorin since its inception in 1976. Somehow, you'd find your CGPA below 4.5 at graduation.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by cahrym(m): 8:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
The fault is not really from student what about some Greedy Lecturer?

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by joephemzyz(m): 8:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
taiwolusol:

*Calming my nerves* You need to understand something. The mentality that all Federal University Students are better than their State and Private counterparts is Just Wrong.
For crying out loud, a 2.86CGPA student from your So called Mago Mago universities passed an Oil coy's Siwes Entry test where as best Student from OAU didn't...........
why do you have to be so proud?

O ti binu!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.